• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Benzo's and opiates - Really that dangerous?

Another example of me at my finest.

Swallowed 160mg oxy about 6 hours ago; topped it up with 40mg more 30mins ago. I also took 1mg of clonaz this morning.

Just thought it would be a fine and dandy idea to take 0.5 of a xanax - and what a fucking mistake that was. I started having difficulties breathing (was using it sublingually) and everything was becoming dizzy, lightheaded, so decided to just throw that shut out of my mouth. Feel much better now.

I think I was about to overdose ffs. Imagine if I had of swallowed the damn thing.

Be fucking careful guys.

I don't think taking opiates and benzos together present much of a problem when combined in reasonable dosages AND if you are already addicted/tolerant to both.

However, this combination has led to my first, and last (I hope) overdose. It was 4 years ago and I took about 100mg methadone and ~5 xanax bars or something like that. I had almost no tolerance to benzos and not too big an opiate addiction. This resulted in me feeling very very tired and the next thing I know I woke up with cops and paramedics looking down at me. Appearently a friend of mine had come to visit and when I didn't open the door (he knew I should have been home) he had peaked through the hole in the door that's used for mail and saw me lying on the floor. When I didn't wake up when he called my phone and was knocking on the door he decided to call the ambulance.

^^ 100mg of methadone and 10mg of xanax is quite a lot for someone with no benzo tolerance and a small opiate problem

id say your lucky for sure

This is probably a dumb question, but I don't know who else to ask. I take Tranxene for panic attacks. Tranxene is a benzo. I also take Suboxone for pain management. My problem is all I want to do is sleep. This started about 2 months ago after I was taking these two drugs for maybe 3 months. Can taking these two drugs cause my problem? I mean, I sleep maybe 12-15 hours a day. If no one knows, where can I find an answer. The pharmacist has no clue. I asked two of them and all I get is a dumb look and something like, "Yeah, maybe."

BTW, I guess that I should have also told you that I went on Suboxone a year ago because I went to a rehab to get off of all of the opiates that I was taking. The Sub helps with my pain and I don't have to go doctor shopping for pills and the hospitals were tired of me showing up trying to get dilauded for some made up pain I would tell them that I had. So, I went to a rehab and after I detoxed off of opiates, I went on Suboxone. It really helps with the pain and no cravings for other drugs.

This is probably a dumb question, but I don't know who else to ask. I take Tranxene for panic attacks. Tranxene is a benzo. I also take Suboxone for pain management. My problem is all I want to do is sleep. This started about 2 months ago after I was taking these two drugs for maybe 3 months. Can taking these two drugs cause my problem? I mean, I sleep maybe 12-15 hours a day. If no one knows, where can I find an answer. The pharmacist has no clue. I asked two of them and all I get is a dumb look and something like, "Yeah, maybe."

Ha....if the pharmacist really responded with a " yeah, maybe" when asked if the interaction between Clorazepate(tranxene) and buprenorphine could be causing you to sleep 15 hours a day, that's just ridiculous!

You're combining benzos and opiates for one, which is the most obviously overly-sedating drug combo there is...should be an immediate red flag to any pharmacist filling both prescriptions at the same fucking time! And in addition to combining benzos and opiates being "sedating", you happen to be combining benzos and opiates that happen to have some of the longest half-lives in both those classes of drugs respectively; buprenorphine and clorazepate!

So yes, not only could combining these two drugs be causing your " problem", combining these two drugs is probably one of the best combos one could conceive of to cause someone to sleep all damn day!:)

All I ever read or hear about this combination is that no matter what, they are extremely deadly and should never be combined. I took 30 mg of hydrocodone (my normal dose) about 3 hours ago and am currently on the after high. I can't sleep after doing opiates so my friend, who always takes benzos after opiates to sleep, recommended that I do the same. I have done this a few times before and everything has been golden, same with him. I took 2 mg of Etizolam about 10 minutes ago and plan on feeling good for a little and then passing out.

My question is, why is this combination so terrifying to people? I understand there is significant danger if you take a lot of opiates, a lot of benzos and at the same time. But in situations such as these, I don't see why people would typically say definitely not. If my heart rate and respiration were significantly depressed, which they won't be 3 hours after my normal dosage, then I can see it being a problem which could be solved by taking them at different times. I think the dangers are being over exaggerated which is why I have spent so many nights not being able to sleep after opiates!

Any thoughts?

Well TBH, 30mg of hydrocodone (which I assume you took orally) and 2mg of etizolam really aren't gonna be that bad if mixed together especially when used with a few hour break. I think more of the problem with benzo's and opiates is when you IV opiates and you've already taken benzos. I've od'd from shooting down (normal amount of a point) after taking clonzepam (4mg about 1.5 hours before). Mixing benzo's + opiates is a bad idea, besides why would someone need so much CNS depression.

Coolguy, I JUST remembered after reading your post...Years ago I awoke with such severe, sharp neck pain that I literally could not turn my neck at all.
My MD (at the time) prescribed me Valium and Hydrocodone. He said that Valium was the only benzo that had "actual physical muscle relaxing properties", and that "the pain medication would merely mask the pain, and the injury wouldn't heal unless relaxed by the Valium ".There were no warnings about taking them together, either.
I am in NO WAY advocating the mixture of benzos and opiates...Just sharing an experience.
Anyone here (mods, maybe? ) who can think of any reason why these particular drugs would be considered safe? At least, safe enough for an MD to be comfortable prescribing them together?

I know this was posted awhile back, but I have had the exact medications prescribed to me for muscle spasms and pain. Different times by different doctors. One even called it a "cocktail" and said there was no need to stagger, just take at the same time. The dosage was one to two 5/325 hydrocodone with one 10mg valium.

I have also been prescribed one 5mg oxycodone three times a day with one 1mg xanax three times a day.

Three years ago while nursing my daughter I was prescribed, by my ob/gyn mind you, who was Well aware I was breastfeeding, one 10/325 hydrocodone around the clock, one every four hours and one 1mg ativan three times a day. My daughter and I were both monitored over the month I was on the combination and there we no ill effects for either of us. (I was also prescribed hydrocodone most of the pregnancy, baby monitored weekly through ultrasound and showed no signs of WD after birth. Figured I should add that)

Just through I'd share

Drug overdose deaths occur almost exclusively after the consumption of multiple drugs, primarily multiple depressants. In Scotland in 2012, it was found that 97.6% of all people who died of a drug overdose had multiple drugs in their system at the time of death. By far the most common class of drugs found were benzodiazepines (72.1% ). In the state of New South Wales in Australia, a study was done on all overdose deaths involving oxycodone over a decade. In every single case, multiple drugs were found in the systems of the deceased, and once again, benzodiazepines were the most common (68.6%).

I hate to make assumptions but I'm going to assume you consumed much too much of both.
I hate to make assumptions, but I would claim it could happen that the amnesia sometimes induced by benzos might make you take another and another until...

As has been said before: You decide, if you want to take the risk. Be well aware that countless people have died from combining opiates with other cns depressants like benzos or alcohol.

I know the point has already been made abundantly clear in earlier posts & forgive a green member finding his feet here...sorry for the lengthy ramble that follows - I got a bit carried away.

I don't think this risk can be overstated - must rate among the more important HR info available. The info provided by those with first-hand experience is for the most part, and in my authoritative-sounding but naïve and humble view, excellent.

BDZs and opiates/oids do appear to have a more than additive respiratory depressant effect, and I don't know for sure but from experience/partly-educated guess, suspect that tolerance to either does not necessarily occur (certainly not predictably) in the parts of the brainstem that mediate respiratory drive in response to changes in O2/CO2 levels.

If I were a regular user of the combination, I would stop combining, or at least certainly err on the low-dose/low-potency/short-acting benzo side and/or engage in a little forethought (which I fully acknowledge is not a strong point of mine); we are likely to be at our least judicious re: this in the midst of opiate-associated sleeplessness, which I have experienced (I thought a bit idiosyncratically, but I'd like to know if others have found it to be common). I presume this is one scenario that would lead to use of BDZ following opiate, or coadministration of both.

My near-miss story involved the brilliant idea to follow oxycontin IV with lorazepam 4 mg (oral) and a small handful of cyproheptadine (4mg ea I think) tablets (also oral) to simultaneously treat the generalised itching and insomnia from oxyc. I was found not breathing with a deep purple-blue tinge to my skin, and was unrousable... but fortuitously for me quickly dispatched to intensive care, suffering hypoxia > respiratory failure, hypotension and renal failure. I was benzo tolerant, relatively opioid naïve, and it is anyone's guess to what extent the cyproheptadine contributed (it is sedating, and presumably contributed to some extent to respiratory depression). Previously I would not really have noticed that dose of lorazepam, because of BDZ tolerance and likely cross-tolerance from alcohol.
I was lucky not to have experienced a (obvious/noticeable :) ) hypoxic brain injury. My renal function, etc. eventually returned to normal, but reflecting on it, I think there was a fine line between that outcome, one involving permanent care and dialysis, etc., and one involving death.

I apologise if this sort of 'cautionary tale, based on when I...' causes irritation, or seems excessively self-indulgent. I don't know if reading such a post would have changed what I did. On reflection though, it really struck me how completely unexpected the BDZ/alcohol + opioid combo - associated respiratory depression was, because I had assumed my tolerance to alcohol and benzodiazepines, and oral BDZ use, would have made this a non-issue.

The literature, like that posted by SJP, reflects pretty clearly that it is the addition of benzodiazepines that contributes the most to unintended opiate ODs with a fatal outcome. It wouldn't surprise me if this, over time, has included a significant number habitual/experienced users of both (here in Australia temazepam + heroin/opioid both IV is or at least was, pretty common).

I would probably never again combine benzodiazepines and opiates, and certainly wouldn't administer benzodiazepines IV.

Sorry if already well known, but I'm not sure that we do recognise that benzos differ a lot not only in half-life but how rapidly they enter the CNS and there is probably differences in how they are distributed - so some may be preferentially incorporated into areas of the brainstem, others into other cortical/subcortical areas - Xanax/alprazolam for example differs from diazepam here. Temazepam, diazepam and alprazolam enter the CNS fairly quickly depending on the route, lorazepam less so but how quickly it enters the CNS appears to depend on serum levels (and therefore dose). I guess my point is that even if you could assume a degree of tolerance and attempt to work out when levels are likely to peak, etc. relative to opiate peak, there are so many other variables that I don't think it could be done reliably for HR. Temazepam is considered a relatively low-potency BDZ with short half-life, widely prescribed, considered relatively benign right, but it is likely to enter the CNS rapidly on iv admin and again, more-than-additively, interact with an opiate to cause rapid, likely unexpected and potentially fatal respiratory depression. I'll finish my ramble there.

Lets just be specific........ say someone with a good tolerance to opiates takes 15-20 mg of say percocet and then feels a panic attack coming on and has klonopin laying around, how much k-pin would be a safe dose? 1mg, .5mg, .25mg .? And how long after the opiate dose to wait?

Lets just be specific........ say someone with a good tolerance to opiates takes 15-20 mg of say percocet and then feels a panic attack coming on and has klonopin laying around, how much k-pin would be a safe dose? 1mg, .5mg, .25mg .? And how long after the opiate dose to wait?

I don't think anyone can answer this specifically. There are too many factors involved:

• Opiate tolerance
  • Benzo tolerance
  • individual physiology <- That's the big one
We're all different.

I have High blood pressure that Used to be managed by Hydrochlorothiazide(a diuretic). I really must say that I love using Long acting Opiates Ie Fentanyl Patches and low doses of Benzo's Ie. 1mg or so of Xanax or its equivalent. Tonight I am enjoying an 8mg Suboxone since I haven't taken Opiates in a couple days and a single Mg of Suboxone and it's fantastic I feel excellent. Made the subs extremely more euphoric IMO and quite a bit more sedating. I am looking forward to see how this plays out as I have a wide variety of other bezo's,barbs, and other opiates to try in combination in the future. Typically I do not indulge in opiates and benzos because I prefer the heavy euphoia over sedation. But I highly reccomend a low dose of subs in your not on maintenance and a 1mg Xanax a couple hours after taking it. Just to clear up my ROA is sub-ling for the Subs which I have a medium tolerance for Opiates as in 30mg Oxy gets me right (when I bang/inssufulate it) and oral for the xanax of course(I have no benzo tolerance). Happy travels my friends.

I hate to make assumptions, but I would claim it could happen that the amnesia sometimes induced by benzos might make you take another and another until... .

Bingo! and so you do a [favorite opiate and ROA here], and a bar of Xanax... 20 minutes later, you ask yourself "did I take that Xanax?", answer "no", take another, repeat. FRiend stops by with a 12 pack or a bottle of liquor, you have a shot or 4, next thing you know you're in an ambulance off to the ER. I didnt read all 6 pages of this thread, but benzos/alcohol/opiates create one hell of a synergistic effect - i.e., instead of 2+2+2=6, 2+2+2=41. The drugs together are FAR more than the sum of their parts. EAt a few bars of xanax, you'll probably get amnesia and sleep well, but be fine. Drink a 6 pack, mild hangover, you'll be fine. Do a few dillies or bags and you're in nod land. MIx them, even in reduced quantities, and it might be your last trip. and the thing is that it isnt linear, that is, if you mix 1mg Xanax with 8mg HYdromorphone+ a few beers as your avg cocktail, you might be able to do this for a year... then one day, take half as much of everything and OD like a mofo.