• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Benzo's and opiates - Really that dangerous?

Hi, so basically ive had a codeine habit since i was 13, im disgnosed with ocd and severe anxiety and originally started the codeine for intense period pain but soon realised it made me calm and eased my ocd so started 'self medicating'. At the time i was a kid i didnt really even know what addiction was i was so uneducated about it. Im now 19. And i could stop taking codeine if i really wanted. Id get some shitty withdrawal but not for long, ive gone off before. I plan to stop soon once i get my life in order. My poor liver probably hates me. But thing is i recently got my hands on some xanax because long story short i got fired from my job after 1 month because i was constantly shaking and having to throw up due to the anxiety it caused. I NEED a new job desperately. So i thought the xanax would come in handy to help me once i get a new job so im not constantly shaking and throwing up lol. (I am finally getting some good psychiatric treatment but its in the early stages and i only get an appointment every few weeks so maybe once the doctor gets to know my condition better he can recommend something else but for now i feel like i have no option other than to take things into my own hands??) I have some opiate tolerance, i have to take 60mg to get any kind of buzz. (I dont want an intense high i just enjoy the little buzz of 60mg). But i took some xanax and codeine together and the first few times it did nothing. I felt the codeine and a lil bit of the benzo but not much. But then one time it did work. I took 1 and a half mg of xanax and 60mg codeine. It was really nice. I have pretty much zero benzo tolerance so i was wondering if anyone knows if its safe to do it again? (Fyi i wont be doing this all the time just on occasion.) When ive done this ive never noticed any respiratory issues or slowness in breathing. So does that mean its all good? From what ive read on this thread its quite a small dose compared to what others have taken. But yeah if anyone has any advice itd be greatly appreciated. Sorry for writing my whole damn life story congrats if you made it this far through my post! Haha

Yes it is that dangerous. Morphine, oxycodone, heroin, methadone and fentanyl by themselves were fine for me. But I have had seven overdoses all from mixing above mentioned opioids with benzos. I have only used opioids (excluding tramadol and codeine)10-20 times too so you do the math

Hi, so basically ive had a codeine habit since i was 13, im disgnosed with ocd and severe anxiety and originally started the codeine for intense period pain but soon realised it made me calm and eased my ocd so started 'self medicating'. At the time i was a kid i didnt really even know what addiction was i was so uneducated about it. Im now 19. And i could stop taking codeine if i really wanted. Id get some shitty withdrawal but not for long, ive gone off before. I plan to stop soon once i get my life in order. My poor liver probably hates me. But thing is i recently got my hands on some xanax because long story short i got fired from my job after 1 month because i was constantly shaking and having to throw up due to the anxiety it caused. I NEED a new job desperately. So i thought the xanax would come in handy to help me once i get a new job so im not constantly shaking and throwing up lol. (I am finally getting some good psychiatric treatment but its in the early stages and i only get an appointment every few weeks so maybe once the doctor gets to know my condition better he can recommend something else but for now i feel like i have no option other than to take things into my own hands??) I have some opiate tolerance, i have to take 60mg to get any kind of buzz. (I dont want an intense high i just enjoy the little buzz of 60mg). But i took some xanax and codeine together and the first few times it did nothing. I felt the codeine and a lil bit of the benzo but not much. But then one time it did work. I took 1 and a half mg of xanax and 60mg codeine. It was really nice. I have pretty much zero benzo tolerance so i was wondering if anyone knows if its safe to do it again? (Fyi i wont be doing this all the time just on occasion.) When ive done this ive never noticed any respiratory issues or slowness in breathing. So does that mean its all good? From what ive read on this thread its quite a small dose compared to what others have taken. But yeah if anyone has any advice itd be greatly appreciated. Sorry for writing my whole damn life story congrats if you made it this far through my post! Haha
I won't give you a guarantee, but I will bet my ass that you're gonna be fine if you stick to those doses and don't throw other GABAergics like ethanol, barbiturates or gamma-hydroxybutyrate into the mix.

not really and also they are shitty boosters, I sometimes took 2mg clonazepam (not much tolerance) and drunk 4-6 beers when I was addicted to poppy products, to get even some good feeling, but I just got sleepy (shitty nodding mno euphoria), 200mg oxycodone on top of my daily tea actually made me feel shitty, no euphoria no nothing, best was 200mg loperamide on top of big doses of tea, gave best euphoria, but it didn't work many times, in the end even 220mg didint give shit, only fentanyl analogs worked on top of poppy pod or seed tea, its fucking shitty addiction, in the end no good feelings any more, not even when combined with other strong opioids, well only one time took that rc-oxycodone can remmeber name but 200mg of it did the work, was nodding all day long. Pregabalin, speed or gbl I never wasted on opioids when I had them big quantities at the same time, I saved for wds, see there can be some self-control in addiction.

Last edited:
I have been taking prescribed valium 20-30mg past 2 weeks is it ok to take last does at bedtime tonight and take some percocet tomorrow?

I have been taking prescribed valium 20-30mg past 2 weeks is it ok to take last does at bedtime tonight and take some percocet tomorrow?
You should be fine.

EDIT: Assuming you take a dosage around the therapeutical level.

Last edited:
i fully agree with what everyone has said regarding not mixing the two, I avoid under all circumstances and personally think the benzo's take AWAY from rather than give anything to the opiate/opiod rush/buzz. You end up sedated rather than feeling that warm blood seeping through your body, far less euphoria in my opinion.

I want to ask how any medical professionals can justify these situations they put me in however, as the first seems irresponsible and the second just outrageously dangerous:

1) In the first months starting my ER Morphine opiate maintenance therapy, at night I would wake up abruptly in lots of shock and immediately JUMP out of bed feeling like I hadn't been breathing. I would instinctually take in massive gasps of air and sprint to my kitchen. After 2 mins of staring into it and drinking/eating sugary drinks/snacks such as ice tea/haribo, I would be able to return to bed, albeit somewhat shook, and usually sleep through the night. He determined the occurrences to be anxiety rather than any genuine sleep apnea, this seemed weird to me as I hadn't had anxiety in ages and is it really possible to have a panic attack whilst fully asleep? Anyhow, that's a topic for another time, it doesn't happen much anymore - but do let me know if you have had any similar experiences or know what it could be. After a few times of this happening and knowing I had an important day coming up where I would need to be well rested, I asked my opiate maintenance doc if it would be safe for me to take 0.5mg of my xanax prescription (which I otherwise never use, my tolerance is literally back to baseline). He said in that dose it would be no issue and that I shouldn't make a habit of it but can proceed on an exceptional basis without worry.

Given the fact the issue was around breathing (or seemingly not breathing) issues WHILST ASLEEP, doesn't this seem wreckless advice?

2) The second time I withdrew from Oxycodone (100mg per dose, 3-4 times a day) and prior to my opiate maintenance program, day 2 of the withdrawal got too much for me. I had to go to work the next day and new I wouldn't make it. After running around to pharmacies and ringing hotlines trying to get some sort of oxycodone substitute to relieve me I was eventually told to go to the hospital to seek help.

After waiting around for what seemed like an eternity I eventually saw the doctor who basically told me they would not give me any opiates but rather only benzos - oh the despair, I had valium at home - I wanted to avoid taking it as I just wanted the salvation of opiates, not some half assed attempt to mitigate the WD symptoms... and I didn't want to mix with benzos....what a waste of time, lugging myself around for 4hrs+ whilst feeling like death in 35 degree centigrade. I reluctantly succumbed, after they gave me the first 2.5mg lorazepam (again without tolerance), the gravity of the situation hit me - I began to weep and cry laying down in my hospital bed, I was a useless drug addict again. Maybe 45 minutes later the nurse came by again, saw me silently crying my eyes out and gave me another 2.5mg lorazepam to swallow, I looked at her and told her something close to the following in the most desperate and let down way possible - "how can you just pump me full of benzos, I told you I don't like them and this is not how you treat opiate addiction, not in Switzerland! I need a taper program guided by a professional or I will never escape - I came here to get treated not to get help not be sedated, tomorrow my withdrawals will be worse!". Something struck a chord, granted I am young (26yrs old) with a baby face, well presented and have a good job, I remember I was even wearing a dress shirt with shorts - all this must have helped relative to someone less fortunate who would be wearing the more obvious signs of drug addiction with their appearance and as a result unfortunately look more untrustworthy. The doctor soon came and I got 2x50mg of Oxynorm (IR) oral liquid solution, separated by maybe 30mins, RELIEF!!! I was sent home and given another 2.5mg lorazepam to take with me if the WD came back and finally referred to the clinic that put my life back on track and get me where I am today. You'd be surprised, here we have such great and supportive addiction treatment centers - but all I could find online when googling was upscale inpatient rehabs for 70K USD a month, I am still thankful for that doctor doing the research and referring me to the former to this day.

Anyway, sorry, I got involved in my story there. THE HOSPITAL, gave me 5mg lorazepam combined with 100mg instant release oxy and gave me another 2.5mg lorazepam to take for the road!!! Needless to say I nodded the fuck out when I made it back home. How can they justify that? They also knew that my flat mate was out of town for the weekend, so I would be unsupervised.I would never dare to go over a fifth of that dose by myself, I find it incredible...

sorry for the long post.