• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Benzo's and opiates - Really that dangerous?

Benzodiazepines and Opioids combined leads to death, it is not always dosage dependent so don't think "oh well I don't take that much of either, I won't OD like others who obviously took a lot more than me".

I've lost three family members and more friends to benzos and opiates than I can count on one hand. Each and every one of those lives torn from this world, could have been prevented.
They overdosed with minimal amounts of both substances, and they had extremely high tolerances to both benzodiazepines and opioids.

It came as such a shock to me when the doctors told me the levels of drugs in their systems at time of death. I was amazed it wasn't higher, they had tried to overcome the risk of death by taking less of both, and look what good it did them. I guarantee you if you came with me to lay flowers on their graves, you would see the gravity of this combination. You are playing with fire at an oil refinery.

Sorry to hear this. Can you elaborate on the dosages? I have a friend who is prescribed 60mg oxycodone along with 1mg Xanax 3 times per day. I'm sure this is not uncommon. If I take .25 or .5mg Xanax with my usual 45-60mg oxy that I have been taking for years (my tolerance would allow for much more) then I can't expect to be in much danger, right? I don't see how .5 mg on top of a normal opiate dose could cause someone to od. Can anyone shed light on this? I realize most people use more than .5 mg but im only talking about this small of a dose.

Thanks

without a benzo tolerance, 1mg of xanax, MAYBE another one later is the most you should mix with your opiates, IMO...It creeps up on ya...

without a benzo tolerance, 1mg of xanax, MAYBE another one later is the most you should mix with your opiates, IMO...It creeps up on ya...

You're right. It definitely creeps up on you.. it rarely is an immediate thing.. You could be fine for a while and then, boom. You just drop like a sack of bricks.

You are right when yous aid people over exaggerate too much, many really do and it gets very annoying sometimes. Make out things to be so much worse than they really are.

I take benzo's and when I was taking oxy, I was usually fine- I thought all was okay UNTIL one night I took my usual dose and woke up being slapped and thrown in the tub w/ cold water, etc... I was scared- breathing very shallow and I really should've gone to the hospital. For me, I can be very tolerant but that night I learned I'm not as invisible as I thought. I'm really too scared to touch oxy again from that experience. Be careful.

I probably would had died in my sleep had my partner not been sleeping next to me.

I'd been drinking and taking DHC throughout a nice summers afternoon-evening. I stopped taking both around sunset, about 8pm. I then took around 3-4mg etizolam at about 3 hours later before bed. I'd taken this dose of benzos on top of alcohol plenty of times and been perfectly fine, other than the amnesia, and I assumed the DHC would be wearing off enough 3 hours after taking, so didn't think it would danger me taking a benzo after such an interval. Anyway, it turned out the DHC I'd been gobbling all day were extended/time-released capsules, so they were of course still in full flow in my system. Went to bed about an hour after taking the etiz, and felt fine physically, just nice and benzo'd and relaxed.

It wasn't until 2 or 3 hours after going to sleep (so 3 or 4 hours after taking the benzo's) that I was woken up by my partner. I was really struggle to just get one breath, my whole body felt paralysed yet vibrating. My thoughts/consciousness seemed pretty unaffected once she woke me up, but those physical effects were awful. I gradually started to regain movement after a few minutes, and began to breathe closer to normally. Didn't really know what had caused this at the time. After doing some reading since it sounds like sleep-paralysis. But surely it was due to the CNS depressant combinations? One thing that confused me was the time delay though, but I guess it can be attributed to the time-release nature of the DHC.

I take benzo's and when I was taking oxy, I was usually fine- I thought all was okay UNTIL one night I took my usual dose and woke up being slapped and thrown in the tub w/ cold water, etc... I was scared- breathing very shallow and I really should've gone to the hospital. For me, I can be very tolerant but that night I learned I'm not as invisible as I thought. I'm really too scared to touch oxy again from that experience. Be careful.

What was you usual dose??

I find mixing the two gives me the best high. It could just be the heroin is garbage but I don't get the nod unless I mix them.

I have a good tolerance to opiates but usually take a small dose and mix 2mg xanax. I often wake up with food crumbs all around me and the other night nodded off on the toilet for over an hr untill someone woke me up.

I suggest anyone trying it start small because you can go out without even knowing.

I am PRESCRIBED both opiates AND benzos by my pain management doctor. I take long-acting opiates and short-acting opiates during the day, and take benzos to sleep at night. My doctor has NO problem with this combination.

I also think that the dangers are being exaggerrated by the media. But please don't combine benzos and opiates if they aren't prescribed to you. Maybe if it's not done under a doctor's supervision, something bad could happen. But I just thought I'd relate my own personal experience. I have NEVER OD'ed, and I am in A LOT of daily pain.

Taking benzos and opiates recreationally is going to result in an OD one day, no matter what.

most of the ones i hear are methadone and xanax. i take 110mgs of methadone and 4mgs every day. ive taken up to ten bars in one night and was fine. i must have a high tolerance or something. I can def see the danger though with something like heroin or fent and benzos. my body is probably used to the methadone. but if i was back shooting junk and took 20mgs of xanax i would have a tag on my toe.

im my humble opinion, this combo is only dangerous if you don't have a tolerance to at least one of them..like I have a monstrous opiate tolerance, so i can do a gram of heroin and take a few mg's of alprazolam and feel nice and cozy, with no worries of overdose or anything.

It kills a lot of people, but it's a popular combo for a reason...If you have a massive tolerance to benzos and you're on a set methadone dose, it's probably less likely you'll OD....But, for me, I always think I need to take more benzos when I really don't...It all hits me at once and I black out...

It kills a lot of people, but it's a popular combo for a reason...If you have a massive tolerance to benzos and you're on a set methadone dose, it's probably less likely you'll OD....But, for me, I always think I need to take more benzos when I really don't...It all hits me at once and I black out...

me too! i have moments of lucidity and think im not high anymore and always take more, i black out and either would shop lift(for NO reason, seems to be common with benzo use)stupid shit and get busted or just o.d.. this hs happened to me lots of times which is why i quit doing benzos(my klonopin and recreational xanax). i spent a year in the workhouse for burglarizing a house while blacked out for days on klonopin and xanax(30 pins and 17 xanax in 3 days), oh and all this on top of 150 mgs of methadone(at the time). anyway im lucky im not still in prison or dead but the key here is EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT, i was prescribed 2mgs klonopin 2x a day for years so i had a tolerance to a point but cross that hair thin line and poof! black out. i would say it is irresponsible to say this is not a potentially dangerous combo. not to mention the countless dead friends......countless. i stopped going to funerals, vigils and memorials years ago.

I take at minimum 3 sticks a day and have a massive opiate tolerance. So NO I dont think its as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be. But if you've never done benzos before and you decide to take 15 sticks and 5 bundles then obviously you knocking on heavens door

Of course it isn't a 200% lethal combination that can't be done without meeting death at the end. But the risk of overdose is still high enough for me to recommend you never try it. It's not even as if it's worth it. I've overdosed twice on opiate and benzo combinations even though I had a huge tolerance to both and I hadn't taken much by my standards. It really isn't worth toying with.

I take at minimum 3 sticks a day and have a massive opiate tolerance. So NO I dont think its as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be. But if you've never done benzos before and you decide to take 15 sticks and 5 bundles then obviously you knocking on heavens door

You're obviously a long time user who's used for years.....People forget what opiates and benzos can do to somebody with no tolerance....Sure, if you gradually increase your dose over time you can tolerate both drugs....I used heroin for years before I ever attempted to mix it with benzos, and even then, I use very small doses....It really has to be the most common overdose there is.......If you take a reasonable dose within your tolerance range, it's doable, but overdo it a little and it will kill you...

first off this you gotta keep in mind that this is a harm reduction forum first n foremost, BL isnt here to keep people as high as possible

so of course people warn about the dangers of mixing opiates n benzos, just like they warn about drinkin on opiates. but to be fair i would say IN MY OPINION mixing opes n benzos is slightly more dangerous then mixing opes n alcohol

yes Dr.s prescribe opes n benzos to patients, n not just those crooked broward county Florida Docs it happens everywhere cuz pain is pain but anxiety n focusing on the pain makes it worse n more n your face n therefor more debilitating

but of course tolerance and experience plays a hand. if you're used to taking large doses of opiates n large doses of benzos then your body has become used to both the drugs, even with a tolerance its best to lower your dose of both or atleast one or the other instead of taking the highest possible amount your body can handle of both drugs

do some people exaggerate? yes. but even then people warn for a reason. i knew a dude i was buying oxys from for awhile that didnt bat n eye at taking 300+mg of oxy put on a 75mcg fent patch n then take a 2-3 2mg bars on top

i saw him do that on a few occasions, but one day i dunno exactly how much he did n if it was more then usual but after the fact he swears it wasnt. outta no where he just goes into the nod of all nods n he wont wake up, the tiny resemblance of breathing he was doing sounded like slow quite yet loud weazing n we all could tell by lookin at him that he was prob gonna go, i was the only one who wanted to call the medics n it wasnt my apartment n the apartment owner threatened to never sell to me again if i called (they sold together) so we ended up slappin him n throwin water on him n waking him up every 5 mins or so for ~2-3 hours before he finally was able to open his eyes for more then 5 seconds at a time n speak something other then mumbles, his breathing seemed to return to normal for the most part n he returned to his typical nodded out state where he could have a cig n hold on to it for most of those cig could hold a conversation n was lookin to get stoned so he seemed like he was past the worst of it, btw while he was fadin out we took the fent patch off him, but yea i was sittin there the whole time sayin we should call the medics or drop him off n i even attempted to hit him with a suboxone but everyone else was against that sayin he'd be pissed if i threw him in PWD. anyways i took some adderall for school work this morning n im ramblin but the point of the sotry is tolerance or not, daily routine or not you gotta be careful, your playin with fire.

some people may exaggerate but some people have lost or have almost lost friends n loved ones to the combo so just cuz some people are overly cautious with there warning doesnt mean caution should be thrown to the wind

sorry for the long winded post, but ultimately im just sayin be careful

and remember this is a harm reduction forum, even if you dont die when you nod too hard you are starving your brain for oxegyn which is/can be harmful in the long run

EDIT: damn that was longer then i thought, no one is gonna read that

cliff notes: some people exagerate some people speak from experience, be careful n remember BL isnt here to get people high its here to help people stay safe doing something they will do anyways

some numbers to avoid any exaggerations:

the cdc's national center for health statistics says (me paraphrasing):

in 2006, there were 13,800 opiod overdose deaths in the united states..
17% included a fatal combination of benzos and opiods.

13,800 fatal opiod od's.

17% = 2346 were from opiod/benzo combinations.

^that = dangerous.