• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Antihistamines Mega Thread

Hi.
I have been using Promethazine Hydrochloride for around 6 months. For several reasons.
I suffer severe chronic pain and both require and abuse opiates. I use promethazine as it is great at both potentiating opiates and, in the case of my main opiate, oxycodone, completely prevent the infamous opiate-itch.
It is also fantastic for the insomnia I have. It is pretty good at reducing anxiety, too. And nausea.
Overall, the stuff is fucking fantastic.

The recommended dose (maximum) at one time is 50mg. I have taken 75mg at once and have taken 100mg in a 4 hour period but that's the limit.
Do higher doses of promethazine alone cause euphoria? I know it is popular in combination with codeine.

I have two main reasons for posting here, sorry for initially rambling lol. My first was to praise the hell out of promethazine.

My second was to ask about Chlorphenamine Maleate (4mg pills to be exact)? I just found a box of 14 of them I got from the hospital like 15 months ago (before I was familiar with opiates, I stupidly took 400mg codeine without an antihistamine and suffered a nasty reaction).

Are they as good as promethazine? For any of the reasons I gave? Can you take both together? DO they have abuse potential?

Since I was given them FOR opiate-issues, would they be even better them prometh for the opi-itch?

Depending where you are from ( in .ca promethazine 50mg generic pills made by pharmascience are available if you ask the pharmacy) i'd say our best choices these days are promethazine and hydroxyzine (the latter isnt as sedating but a couple 50mg balls of atarax) potentiates my done a lot. Benadryl once you got to know to prometh and hydroxyzine makes it seem worthless. Now if the one in my post above is available that'd make my day, even if rx only like hydroxyzine...my doc scripts me almost whatever I want due to him knowing what it is I have studied in college...

Oh I also forgot, cyclizine, but it's not available at all in canada and i dont think its still available in the usa. I know its in the UK.

Cyclizine is available OTC in USA I'm fairly sure. As marezine. But might be hard to find.

I was looking for some and it was available on the net through a regular prescription needed for good shit pharmacy.

Available in uk as Valoid 50mg. Prescription though.

Cyclizine is available OTC in USA I'm fairly sure. As marezine. But might be hard to find.

I was looking for some and it was available on the net through a regular prescription needed for good shit pharmacy.

Available in uk as Valoid 50mg. Prescription though.

No info on the tripellenamine eh ? The wikipedia article seems to be written by an american, the brand name should be Pyribenzamine by Novartis is all it says. I know Novartis have labs right in my city (MTL)...and the t and blues phenomenom wasnt really a thing either when i ask old timers, they either never heard of it or just had fond memories of taking pentazocine amongst the many things they'd get after "going at the pharmacy at night to get their prescriptions".

And I'm not gonna lie, I have A LOT of Talwin PX (means it is without naloxone, the NX version being illegal in Canada), which I got legally a while ago before getting on 'done (which is almost well...done). I'll be then on suboxone but will be the shortest amount of time on it, I want my opiate receptors to be given a break and after long enough well I want to see what the big deal was about t's a blues ;p

I imagine it would work with anything else, but all I got here is methadone takehomes (now a big 5 a week), and i'm only going to take my atarax script that goes with it, some codeine contins 200, and a big jar of talwin PX.

Thanks.

Last edited:
How do I get cyclazine? Is that on prescription-only? My doctor is now hyper-vigilant since he found out I was abusing my opiates.

Oh I did have a leaflet about something similar to naloxone I was gonna take to my doctor and ask about.

When abouts should I take my promethazine (I usually take 50-100mg) before and/or aftyer the time of methadone ingestion?

before obviously, 20 mins before should do it, not like 1hour...we all know how long done takes to peak.

Diphenhydramine - Information for Experience Maximisation and Harm Reduction

I figured I would make this post just in case anybody decides to try and find safety information relating to Diphenhydramine (Benadryl; Benylin; Nytol; Sominex; DPH) using the Bluelight search engine. I hope it is useful. For the information of others, any experiences (inc dosage taken) would be appreciated. Moderators, please locate this to the appropriate area of the forum. Thanks!

WHAT IS DIPHENHYDRAMINE ACTUALLY FOR
Diphenhydramine is an older antihistamine known for its anticholinergic and sedative effects. It is found in both OTC and prescription drugs used previously in the treatment of allergy-related symptoms, and is commonly used as a sleeping aid and to help treat motion sickness.

ALTERNATE USES OF DIPHENHYDRAMINE
Diphenhydramine is commonly by those using opiates both to potentiate the effects, as well as to reduce the 'itch' one may experience. It is also reported to be used by some to help manage Parkinson's disease.

DOSAGE
FOR SLEEP
In most western countries, doses of 50mg are advertised for sleep. Generally, up to 150mg is a realistic dose for those who find the suggested dosage to be too low. Any higher than this, and you may experience delirium.

RECREATIONAL
Please note that diphenhydramine products containing acetaminophen/paracetamol should not be used recreationally. High doses of paracetamol can be fatal. Additionally, as with any powerful psychoactive substance, high doses are more likely to induce difficult experiences, negative side effects, allergic responses, etc.
With relation to recreational doses of diphenhydramine taken in order to experience delirium, Erowid suggests the following to be applicable:
Common 150-300 mg
Strong 250-500 mg
Heavy 400-700 mg
If it is your first time taking recreational doses of Diphenhydramine, I would suggest 200mg to be a good starting point. A sitter would be helpful, especially when dosing over 400mg. I would not personally suggest taking a dose over 600-700mg as this will increase the likelihood of having a seizure.

EFFECTS OF DIPHENHYDRAMINE
POSITIVE
  • Muscle relaxation
  • Music appreciation
  • Mixture of dreaming and reality
NEUTRAL
  • Time dilation
  • Extreme short-term memory impairment (at higher doses it becomes difficult to even finish sentences)
  • Extreme sedation at higher doses, difficulty staying awake
  • Flushed skin
  • Feelings of intense gravity or extreme heaviness, feeling like one weighs thousands of pounds
  • Unusual thoughts, speech, and behavior
  • Visual and auditory hallucinations
NEGATIVE
  • Dry mouth
  • Frequent urination, or possible urinary retention
  • Sexual dysfunction
  • Feelings of impending doom
  • Blurred vision
  • Confusion
  • Discomfort, dizziness, loss of coordination
  • Uncontrollable muscle twitches or cramps, restless leg syndrome (less common)
  • Nervousness, anxiety
  • Nausea (at higher doses, less common)
  • Vomiting (very rare, in fact most users would have trouble vomiting if they tried due to diphenhydramine's antiemitic effects)
  • Amnesia, loss of memory of the experience afterwards

DRUG INTERACTIONS
  • Monoamine oxidase inhibitors - do not take this medicine if you are currently taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors or have taken them within the last 14 days
  • Central nervous system depressants such as tranquillizers, hypnotics, sedatives and anxiolytics
  • Anticholinergic medicines such as atropine or tricyclic antidepressants
  • Medicines metabolised by cytochrome P450 such as metoprolol or venlafaxine
  • Other Antihistamines
  • Cough and cold medicines

REFERENCES

I had quite a few experiences abusing diphenhydramine as well as dramamine when I was younger. I saw some crazy stuff like shadow people, plants growing out of the ground, invisible spiders, snakes, and smoke. At a certain point I decided the trip was far too uncomfortable, edgy, and "sick" feeling; and simply ceased it's use all together. I remember a couple memorable trips with promethazine DM as well. Promethazine always felt "better" to me, but it was sedating even at higher "recreational" doses, whereas benadryl lost it's sedative properties in larger doses. I still occasionally take promethazine at therapeutic doses for sleep, and alongside opiates for potentiation. Recently I have used promethazine along with kratom in order to potentiate it's effects. It works as a potentiator of kratoms sedative, but not euphoric effects imo. I would also like to note that it actually increased nausea for me w/ kratom which I found to be rather odd. Of course on a couple of occasions it was as a syrup, which I still have difficulty drinking due to excessive past abuse of dxm. As far as newer antihistamines I have used them successfully for allergy treatment, but have found no effects when mixed with other drugs or medications. Just my personal experiences w/ some antihistamines, YMMV/YBMV. Take care. BTW awesome thread.

are phenindamine or phenyltoloxamine still used by any countries?

Wow, this is a good thread. I was given about 125mg of diphenhydramine last night for a bad allergic reaction I had. The paramedics stuck it in my IV. At first it burned my body a little then it made me feel like I REALLY had to pee. Almost like getting injected with iodine for a CT scan. Eventually I just knocked out and woke up with an insane dry mouth, but I wonder how people get past the drowsiness and get the recreational effects.

How exactly is hydroxyzine a good medicine for anxiety? I'm prescribed 50mg 3x a day and I'm just wondering how it works. Love it for the opiate-itch though...

Doc suggested promethazine for anxiety a while back. Does fuck all for it but it's got decent sedation and is very good for opiates. It also makes more codeine metabolise into morphine, I'm not sure if it does the same for dihydrocodeine but it still makes it stronger. I got ~50 25mg pills in my drawer right now since it's OTC here. Always good to have around.

DPH feels dirtier than prometh for me but it's also good for opiates, adds more nods to the experience.

Gosh, I need some more hydroxyzine or promethazine in my life now that I am dosing rx opiates for acutely moderate/moderately-severe pain.

Can any of you answer a few questions I have about OTC fexofenadine hydrochloride?

To be safe, what is the maximum dose? (not what is says on the label)
What side effects does it produce as the dosage increases?
Does it become less effective after prolonged or high-dose use?

Many thanks if you can help.

Just registered to give my testimony about it, I think it may be important for some people.
I've been taking an average of 100mg of dimenhydrinate per day for the last 15 years. At first it was as sleeping aid, but then it became a habit as I enjoyed the subtle feeling of calmness in it. It builds tolerance that goes away if you stop taking it for some days. Also when the tolerance is gone there is some euphoria in it too, that lasts for some 20-30 minutes. There's some briefly good insightful moments on it. I've tried some higher dosages at the beginning, I think the max was 500mg, long time ago, had some smalls visuals disturbances, and more strong audio ones, it's a delirant, there's no great feeling in that. I think it may make one feel I little bit more paranoid while walking in the dark. Mixing it with alcohol will boost it's effects and it may be hard to stay awake for a little time, I don't know for sure but this combination may potentiate headaches, just an anedocte.
The short-term memory impairment is very strong the higher the dosage, sometimes I asked myself what I was thinking 3 seconds ago. But sincerely, I don't think there is any significant effect on my daily cognition or mood, or at least minimal, I'm a functional adult. Also I have no health problems. The appetite stimulant effect is for real and very strong, and is bad for the stomach to eat before sleeping, one should watch that, it was giving me gastritis. Also, my mood becomes horrible when it's on effect, but it's also bad whenever I'm sleepy, it may boost that, I really wanna be alone, perhaps it's a personality thing.
Today I decided that I should stop taking it, I don't wanna risk eventual damage on a substance that has been so poorly studied on the long-term use.

PS: Haven't seen one single report about that on the whole internet; it has an awesome effect on sex, makes you much more sensitive

Last edited:
The drug orphenadrine, which is closely related to diphenhydramine is primarily used as an anticholinergic drug. It is effective in helping opiates 'find the pain'. It can also be used as an antihistamine for hayfever sufferers or for controlling the side effects of opioids. The great thing about this drug is that even on its own it can product mild feelings of euphoria:

See:

ROBITSCHER JB, PULVER SE (June 1958 ). "Orphenadrine in the treatment of depression; a preliminary study". The American journal of psychiatry 114 (12): 1113–5. PMID 13533653. http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/pmidlookup?view=long&pmid=13533653.

In my experience it has proven to be the best antihistamine potentiators on the market and I would recommend it to anyone.
I was planning to post about this one too! Got prescribed this one for muscle spasms. Found it decent for fibromyalgia pain relief. Stronger anticholinergic than benadryl despite being the 2 methyl phenyl analog of dph.. Is also an NMDA receptor antagonist!
I've tried it at the 700-800mg range and it's definitely a dissociative deliriant. Started seeing people up in the trees and shit. Doesn't give the fucked up uncomfortable out of body feeling high dose diphenhydramine does. Much more relaxed and calming compared to high dose dph. Could be frightening if you're prone to that due to combined deliriant/ dissociative effects.

Last edited:
I was planning to post about this one too! Got prescribed this one for muscle spasms. Found it decent for fibromyalgia pain relief. Stronger anticholinergic than benadryl despite being the 2 methyl phenyl analog of dph.. Is also an NMDA receptor antagonist!
I've tried it at the 700-800mg range and it's definitely a dissociative deliriant. Started seeing people up in the trees and shit. Doesn't give the fucked up uncomfortable out of body feeling high dose diphenhydramine does. Much more relaxed and calming compared to high dose dph. Could be frightening if you're prone to that due to combined deliriant/ dissociative effects.
I think I felt a little difficult breathing at dosages as high as 300-400mg of dimenhydrinate, and it is weaker than diphenhydramine, I would never risk that dosage.

I think I felt a little difficult breathing at dosages as high as 300-400mg of dimenhydrinate, and it is weaker than diphenhydramine, I would never risk that dosage.
Neither dimenhydrinate nor diphenhydramine Is the same as orphenidrine.
Both that you mentioned made me feel like crawling out of my skin at high doses. Orphenadrine does not have the same effect. Could produce paranoia inducing hallucinations at the dosage i mentioned.

Delirants are some ridiculous things, one may hit their head on the wall to try to reach similar effects, it's simply pure fuckup on the body. Alcohol abuse is not that much different.

Orphenadrine in high dose is very bizarre due to dual mechanism of action as anticholinergic/nmda antagonist.

Last edited: