• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Antihistamines Mega Thread

Ian, if you want to post a trip report, check out the trip report forum. Please don't bump old threads if that's all you're adding.

Recently been on the search for a few antihistamines, clemastine and cyclizine, found both of them yesterday, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with both of these concerning how sedating they are compared with each other? The cyclizine is ungodly expensive, so if the clemastine is just as sedating I would be saving some money.

Reading this article on periactin for weight gain intrigued me. It appears as though its an antihistamine which is used to treat other medical conditions. Does anyone have a good experience with this drug to increase appetite?

Has anybody else ever gotten a euphoric opiate like buzz from mixing trazodone with benadryl?

I've done this a number of times, its actually a quite noticeable buzz in my opinion.

guys the best one for curing the itches? Dont care if its sedating or not im so damn itchy, main ones in my pharmacy are promethazine, DPH and lortadine i think.

I would say Diphenhydramine is the gold standared antihistamine. But depending on what else your on ied go with promethazine personally, i prefer the sedation.

^Floyd +1

Diphenhydramine is (or should be??) the gold-standard for antihistamines. It's just a useful compound/drug in general. When I use antihistamines for opiate itches...or even for allergies, I always compare it to dipenhydramine.

i once had diphenhydramine I.V.ed into me when i got stung by a bee(i'm allergic). it gave me a weird rush but then i started to feel uncomfortable.

just read that promethazines half life is about 14 hours, does that mean its working and blocking histamine the whole 14 hours?

Just read that it blocks something in the liver so taking it before oxy can decrease the high, so want to try without but ive already had some today.

So, in sum... Hydroxyzine added to oxycodone:

1. Antihistamine for itch.

2. Analgesic in its own right to add to analgesia of the oxy.

3. Reduces nausea.

4. Potentiates oxycodone.

The only questions regard how much hydroxyzine to use for a given dose of oxycodone, and whether the safe maximum level of oxycodone should be reduced if hydroxyzine is added.

I've looked around a lot. Anyone know?

how much hydoxyzine do you add to a given level of oxycodone? and do you need to reduce the safe maximum level of oxycodone when using hydroxyzine??
-> oops I didnt mean to add this and cannot delete. my bad peeps.

^ you can always delete your posts by hitting 'edit' then clicking the 'delete' button.

So, in sum... Hydroxyzine added to oxycodone:

1. Antihistamine for itch.

2. Analgesic in its own right to add to analgesia of the oxy.

3. Reduces nausea.

4. Potentiates oxycodone.

The only questions regard how much hydroxyzine to use for a given dose of oxycodone, and whether the safe maximum level of oxycodone should be reduced if hydroxyzine is added.

I've looked around a lot. Anyone know?

Hydroxyzine does not 'potentiate' but rather synergize. The two terms are used nearly interchangeably at BL but this really means that it just increases some of the desirable effects of the drug rather than actually increase plasma levels like enzyme inhibition. Because hydroxyzine adds to the sedation and possibly respiratory depression of drugs like oxycodone, combining those two would mean that maximum safe dose of oxy would be decreased, yes.

I would start at 25mg hydroxyzine and go up from there in increments of 25mg if you are unsatisfied with the results but don't expect miracles.

just read that promethazines half life is about 14 hours, does that mean its working and blocking histamine the whole 14 hours?

Just read that it blocks something in the liver so taking it before oxy can decrease the high, so want to try without but ive already had some today.

This is old but incase anyone else is curious or searching for this, the therapeutic effects of promethazine are reported in my Nurse's Drug Guide as less than or equal to 12 hours.

Other options for opioid itch

Alright, so I CWE'd 60mg of hydrocodone today, and all I got was an itch lol (some what expected, but at least my pain got down to a 5.5). I've already taken 150mg of hyrdroxyzine, and it seems to help a little bit, but not enough for me to be okay with it lol. Thinking about taking 50mg of benadryl as well, but was wondering what else I could try, drug or otherwise.

Not sure if a shower will help or make matters worse. Don't know if lidocaine gel would help or not, and I've only got a limited supply of that. I think I have claritin and perhaps zyrtec available as well, so if anyone's got any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated lol.

Thanks

Last edited:
Taking an antihistamine is a good start. I find having a shower and putting on lots of moisturiser afterwards helps immensely.

I don't get itching much anymore. At one time my arms would drive me nuts to the point of scratching the skin off. It was like a pinching type of itch. It was from the opiates, but only happened like twice a year...during the winter while inside a lot and around spring into summer with the pollen.

What stopped the itch for me was using baggies of ice. The ice numbs the nerves and after 10 minutes or so the itching will stop 100%.

Leaping Gnome

I used to take benadryl and it helped. I always kindof liked the itch though, it wasn't a big annoyance. However, before I started using opiates benadryl would knock me out, but after using it so much for itching etc it has no effect on me anymore which is unfortunate.

What have you tried already and what have you found to work better than others?

Diphenhydramine, hydroxyzine, and promethazine have all been very good to me.

Hi.
I have been using Promethazine Hydrochloride for around 6 months. For several reasons.
I suffer severe chronic pain and both require and abuse opiates. I use promethazine as it is great at both potentiating opiates and, in the case of my main opiate, oxycodone, completely prevent the infamous opiate-itch.
It is also fantastic for the insomnia I have. It is pretty good at reducing anxiety, too. And nausea.
Overall, the stuff is fucking fantastic.

The recommended dose (maximum) at one time is 50mg. I have taken 75mg at once and have taken 100mg in a 4 hour period but that's the limit.
Do higher doses of promethazine alone cause euphoria? I know it is popular in combination with codeine.

I have two main reasons for posting here, sorry for initially rambling lol. My first was to praise the hell out of promethazine.

My second was to ask about Chlorphenamine Maleate (4mg pills to be exact)? I just found a box of 14 of them I got from the hospital like 15 months ago (before I was familiar with opiates, I stupidly took 400mg codeine without an antihistamine and suffered a nasty reaction).

Are they as good as promethazine? For any of the reasons I gave? Can you take both together? DO they have abuse potential?

Since I was given them FOR opiate-issues, would they be even better them prometh for the opi-itch?

Last edited:
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any phenyltoloxamine only preparations out there and what there brand name was. If not what are some common brand name phenyltoloxamine preparations with codeine or other mild opiates (without APAP or other garbage)?

Also does anyone know if any country still uses/has phenindamine (Thephorin)? If so what are their brand names?

thanks for any input you have on these question :)

Anybody on the availability of Pyribenzamine (tripelennamine) in Canada, is it Rx only like hydroxyzine ? The wikipedia page isn't saying that it is unavailable anywhere only that it is less used that before ? I want to find something else fun to mix with my methadone (taken more for pain than anything else right now). Paranoid_Android or somebody else I forgot the name of...one of you once directed me to a website of health canada where one can look for medication if it is available and if not since when it was removed. I know it's where I saw Soma (carisoprodol) doesn't exist here since 1993 :\