• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

alternative(s) to MDMA that don't deplete 5HT

I think what your looking for is MCAT... Methcathinone... This definitely makes you talk to people. But you will regret taking it probably more so than MDMA... Maybe not though you might get a really hot girl pregnant... ya never know... yeah please don't pay any attention to me... thanks.

Ultimately I guess I just want a drug I can take a lot more frequently than MDMA without risking serious damage, particularly to my serotonin system. Alas, it's not to be. Oh well :)

There is a drug that is rather rare (not even I have ever seen it in real life... even i... ROFL) called 4-MAR. It is supposedly a cross between meth and mdma. It s supposedly non neurotoxic which is what makes it so spectacular. However it seems to be a big no-no to talk about... There is on isomer that is neurotoxic called d-4-mar and it's probably as neurotoxic as meth. The rest of the isomers seem to be safe.

^ lols :p

At this stage in my life I have no issues with an unintentional pregnancy - as long as it's the right girl rofl.

But we digress (or do we? :D)

I think what your looking for is MCAT... Methcathinone... This definitely makes you talk to people. But you will regret taking it probably more so than MDMA... Maybe not though you might get a really hot girl pregnant... ya never know... yeah please don't pay any attention to me... thanks.

Methcathinone isn't all that different from methamphetamine. Its less likely to cause psychosis but they share overall similar effects. Either way, I wouldn't consider methcathinone or methamphetamine to be like MDMA at all but maybe that's just me.

There is a drug that is rather rare (not even I have ever seen it in real life... even i... ROFL) called 4-MAR. It is supposedly a cross between meth and mdma. It s supposedly non neurotoxic which is what makes it so spectacular. However it seems to be a big no-no to talk about... There is on isomer that is neurotoxic called d-4-mar and it's probably as neurotoxic as meth. The rest of the isomers seem to be safe.

4-Methylaminorex is very obscure. Its been banned here in the states since back in 1989. Its a long-lasting and potent stimulant. Once again, its not likely to be anything like MDMA.

Yeah MDMA is like the perfect drug... There are BDB and MBDB (EDEN) which cause a lot of empathy with less neurotoxicity but again it's rare and hard to get your hands on.

I did have some pretty severe issues with the bowels with 5-MeO-DiPT. I'd say it was worse than 5-MeO-AMT even and everyone knows 5-MeO-AMT was bad.

You mean... There might be some white stuff dispensing from your front side while black/brown stuff is dispensing from the backside?
(Sorry, could not resist...)

That sounds somewhat awfull. I've experienced MDMA with a chic, all naked. No sex though and yet it was great. Just that I keep wondering what would it have been if there had been sex (or even just an erection). I'd hate to experience the same I did, but with addition of shit pouring out of me while being with her...

Yes, 5-MeO-DiPT was exactly like that. Puking in the bathtub while dumping in the toilet.

5-MeO-AMT had me doing one at a time...

Yeah MDMA is like the perfect drug... There are BDB and MBDB (EDEN) which cause a lot of empathy with less neurotoxicity but again it's rare and hard to get your hands on.

I don't think BDB and MBDB ever took off because they are very high dose which would make them expensive per dose along with the rather lackluster reports on them in PiHKAL about them being more like a stoning alcohol high than MDMA.

I've not personally had them but I would love to.

MBDB is out there if you know where to look but only in bulk amounts. I'm not willing to drop that kind of cash on something that would likely entirely disappoint me.

Last edited:
Methylone seems to be the closest to what you're seeking. It's not as hard on your serotonin as triple releasers such as mdma/mda and it's pretty easy to find. Most of what you find as "Molly" is actually Methylone.

Seconded on methylone.

I don't know why there is so much methylone hate. Its a wonderful substance when used correctly.

You mean... There might be some white stuff dispensing from your front side while black/brown stuff is dispensing from the backside?
(Sorry, could not resist...)

That sounds somewhat awfull. I've experienced MDMA with a chic, all naked. No sex though and yet it was great. Just that I keep wondering what would it have been if there had been sex (or even just an erection). I'd hate to experience the same I did, but with addition of shit pouring out of me while being with her...

Likely thanks to the empathic state of mind it puts you in (bonding and all that soppy shit :p), but simply lying in some kind of naked, intertwined heap on my bed with an absolute bombshell blondie while we both came up, was possibly my favourite sexual encounter to date lol....yes, there was sex (or whatever you wanna call it when you can't get very far lol), but it was this naked heap stage that definitely took the cake.

Good idea. how long were your tolerance breaks when you used MDMA? im curious because you say you felt no positive side effects but how long before was the last time you rolled?

My last break was 3 months, I get a good roll in nye. Then tried it again the same substance 2weeks later, but couldn't roll.
I'm sure that it's psyological and nothing to do with tolerance. But anyway, the negative effects makes me stay away from mdma for a long time, can't relax.
Also I got the same effects on weed, couldn't relax just wanted to go home..
Need to be clean from everything but it's irony; I came to amsterdam now :)

Seconded on methylone.

I don't know why there is so much methylone hate. Its a wonderful substance when used correctly.

Methylone will most CERTAINLY deplete 5-HT. I enjoy it for what it is, but it should NOT be used if you are abstaining from MDxx type drugs

Methylone will most CERTAINLY deplete 5-HT. I enjoy it for what it is, but it should NOT be used if you are abstaining from MDxx type drugs

It is releaser but it does NOT have the ability to cause excessive depletion that MDMA does. I've never had the brain zaps, suicidal depression, or anything remotely resembling serotonin toxicity from methylone and it has been found to not be neurotoxic.

The worst that I've had after going on a multi-day binge with methylone is the ridiculously rough over-stimulating crash but nothing resembling a neurotoxic reaction ala MDA, MDMA, or even MDEA.

In my case, the "why not methylone?" is simply a lack of knowledge. Everyone knows MDMA, it's been used for ages, etc. Then there are some discussions on "I wonder if it was MDMA at all, but methylone". This gives me the impression methylone is cheap substitution to the "real thing".

Reading this thread, it appears to me that it might just as well be an image issue, methylone needs to have better brand :).

It is releaser but it does NOT have the ability to cause excessive depletion that MDMA does.

You will be VERY hard pressed to find any studies to back that up, me thinks...

Just because you have binged on methylone in the past doesn't mean it's a safe drug... quite the opposite really. If one is abstaining from serotonin releasers, taking a DIRECT serotonin releaser probably isn't a good idea.

Truth is, there aren't many (if any) psychedelic/empathogen drugs that don't alter 5-HT neurons in some way. Usually a good solid break from all substances is what you really need.

Considering that methylone has 3x less affinity for SERT while having roughly the same DAT and NET affinity as MDMA, it quickly becomes clear that methylone is much less neurotoxic than MDMA at a similar dose.

I'm not saying that methylone is not toxic, I'm saying it doesn't appear to be toxic to serotonin neurons.

You're right that there aren't enough studies to come to a definitive conclusion on the issue but 3x lower affinity for SERT is quite significant and you don't hear about MDMA-style crashes with methylone. You hear about it with mephedrone but not with methylone.

At the end of the day, it is true that you should just take a break from everything though.

It still "depletes 5-HT" which is what the OP was alluding too. I would certainly agree that methylone is LESS damaging than MDMA, but lack of apparent side effects doesn't mean the drug isn't causing some kind of damage. At any rate, it's still going to set back MDMA recovery which is something the OP is trying to avoid

I've never had any type of sert crash from Methylone. I don't even bother with less than a gram for a nights usage. Tweeked? Yes. Depressed? No.

It still "depletes 5-HT" which is what the OP was alluding too. I would certainly agree that methylone is LESS damaging than MDMA, but lack of apparent side effects doesn't mean the drug isn't causing some kind of damage. At any rate, it's still going to set back MDMA recovery which is something the OP is trying to avoid

There's not enough data on methylone to suggest that it actually depletes 5-HT in any significant amount though that I'm aware of. DXM is a serotonin releaser and it isn't associated with serotonin depletion.

There are a number of SRAs that don't cause serotonin depletion like MDMA. AMT is another example.

The best thing to do is avoid serotonergic drugs altogether in this situation but MDXX drugs are among the few that actually deplete serotonin levels to the point of being damaging.

Methylone may not cause the same kind of "serotonin depletion" but it certainly isn't going to be of any help to axons that are repairing themselves. Not to mention, lack of serotonin doesn't seem to be the main cause of lingering effects, there are a number of other ways serotonin toxicity takes route.

You wouldn't recommend someone a break from heroin to try oxycodone...