Alcoholism Thread v. A sober life is a good life <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ Hey voxmystic,
I know how you feel. Extremely often I have gone back to a couple of drinks a day (just like a heap of the general public does anyway), and have even felt guilty for that, which I beleive you shouldn't be too hard on youself if you are able to cut down to so little, because alot of people (and alot of people I know drink 2-4 drinks every night after work anyway). I know I cannot talk, but just keep your goals not too high and you will be fine.

I have also had Kava on me for ages (at least half a bottle of tabs), but I make the mistake of drinking alcohol because I don't like kava. Keep ya chin up m8!

Am on day 13 of being sober, no alcohol and no cigarettes however I have been eating more then usual.

For anyone who has been sober for a year or more then a few months, what keeps you going? What makes you not go back?

My depression at the moment is coming back and I hate to admit it to myself but I want the drink to minimise it although I know that will just re-create problems which I don't need or want for myself. Am thinking I just sit it out and wait for the cycle to reach a positive stage again.

Day 2 sober, woo. A couple of nights ago I posted a few comments around Bluelight which i'm not very impressed with myself about, since I have no memory of posting them. I was so sick all of yesterday from drinking the arvo/night before that I was very scared and am still almost over it after about 48hrs. Am very much hoping I can take a break from alcohol and cut down alot from now on.

Haven't posted here in a while but I might as well.

After losing my job, my apartment, my girlfriend, and getting my ass kicked on my last bender, I showed up at my parents house. I told them the truth and they are sending me to a 6 week inpatient rehab center. I feel really bad as it will be costing them 20 grand, but they are willing to do it as it may save my life. I will be attending a place where Robin Williams, Halle Berry, and even Ms. Lohan have all been to.

I sweated through some nasty withdrawls and am currently on 20mg of valium so I won't drink. I'll be admitted next week. It's a good place where AA is not the focus, but mental health, physical health and spirituality are prevelant.

I wish everyone the best of luck and the next time I post here I'll be nearly two months clean and sober. :)

I'm very thankful my parents were understanding and willing to spend that much money to help me.

edit: my ex sent my a loving message saying she was happy, supportive and knows I can do this. She went to rehab for an eating disorder a few years ago, which she beat, so I'm sure she knows all about addiction.

So I am two months sober today. Rehab was an interesting experience, I met some different people and learned a lot. I feel so much better phyiscally, but mentally I'm still not all there. My anxiety has subsided, but the fucking boredom is killer. I have been going to AA/NA meetings every day and they help but getting straight at 23 is difficult as all my friends still party. I'm trying to meet new people through the meetings but most are older than myself.

Now that the boose is removed, it is real life that is stressing me out. Trying to figure out a job and how to keep busy is tough. My only hobbies were drinking, gambling, and snorting drugs. I'm still seeing a counsellor once a week and I really don't want to relapse, but the obsession of the mind is still there.

Being straight isn't easy, but it is better than waking up shaking every day, still I wish I could use recreationally but I know that is impossible.

I hope everyone is doing well, and enjoying their summer.

So I am two months sober today. Rehab was an interesting experience, I met some different people and learned a lot. I feel so much better phyiscally, but mentally I'm still not all there. My anxiety has subsided, but the fucking boredom is killer. I have been going to AA/NA meetings every day and they help but getting straight at 23 is difficult as all my friends still party. I'm trying to meet new people through the meetings but most are older than myself.

Now that the boose is removed, it is real life that is stressing me out. Trying to figure out a job and how to keep busy is tough. My only hobbies were drinking, gambling, and snorting drugs. I'm still seeing a counsellor once a week and I really don't want to relapse, but the obsession of the mind is still there.

Being straight isn't easy, but it is better than waking up shaking every day, still I wish I could use recreationally but I know that is impossible.

I hope everyone is doing well, and enjoying their summer.

In same boat as you. Just out of in patient rehab. I know what you mean about the boredom. It's natural though I think, PAWS etc.

Stick at it mate!

Haven't been to rehab myles p but can relate. Am going my 15th day sober today and that thought of drinking is rather great due to the whole boredom aspect.

Overall you should be happy that you started to quit at an early age, when you get to 25 - 30 you'll be having the time of your life.

All the best.

hey peeps,

been a shit summer for me. dad struggling with cancer, friend delivered twins only to have one pass, and grandma just passed friday.

im at peace, mostly... ive had bad moments but i haven't had a lot of completely sober days. if anything. ive been good at keeping it to three drinks or so around four days a week. not great, but not gutter.

at the beginning of the year i had six weeks, and i need/want to get back to that, but my defences
are down right now...

head above water is all i can manage. praying for you all out there and hoping for prayers for me and my loved ones...

sorry for depressing post.

love to you all

xo

^Positive energy back at you. Hope things are much better soon. Congrats on keeping the alcohol use at a minimum :)

sober feels SO much better than drunk -- i don't know why i'm ever tempted to drink. i love clarity, and i hate the "morning after" depression i get when i drink. addiction is an odd thing.

For anyone that considers relapse as a 'failure,' STOP THINKING THAT WAY. I don't want to glorify relapsing but for me, it's always been something to learn from and grow. I, myself, would consider myself a chronic relapser. The most I've ever been sober is about 6 months. Then, I always seem to get those tempting thoughts in my head...then I cave.

For an alcoholic, ONE day is a miracle. Remember that. I am proud to say that I am 73 days sober and as I recently posted, I do it with the help of G-d and AA. AA isn't for everyone (I can see how the whole G-d thing would scare someone off) but all I can say is that there is NO WAY I could get this far without AA. The main thing I like about it; It's the only place you can go for free and TALK AND LISTEN to other alcoholics. For anyone that hasn't ever been to a meeting, I URGE you. Go to a few meetings. Don't just give up at one. Try at least 3. If you don't like it, then stop going. Trust me when I say: IT WORKS! Don't take it from me, take it from the millions of people that it has helped. It's not a cure-all (you have to put a work into it) but for me, it's been miraculous.

How ever you decide to quit, hang in there. I, myself, realized I couldn't do it on my own. I am powerless over alcohol and my life had become unmanageable.

If anyone needs to talk, PM me. I love helping people and talking to other alcoholics. Although the amount of time I have clean is not that much, I'm going to keep going. I LOVE life sober!

^^Thats exactly right. For me with benzos, I definately consider myself a chronic relapser, but theres no way known i'd be in the better situation at this point without learning from my relapses, and dealing with all the physical withdrawals and shit over and over again from relapses.

I've caved with alcohol tonight of course after 3 nights without a drink, which was a change. Except it took me to get extremely sick for 2 days to make myself stop for 3 nights and "commit to cut down".

My case, i've done my decision. It's very good to be clear headed, next month i wont make errors and do something really fun not that damn alcohol liftup mood swings.

All possible fun, eating in pizzerias as sober clean head or maybe messed up from something that i'm used to. Cartoons first and movies, then maybe reading something, UFO books are great.

Actually not much shaming feelings as were as young, but warning signs can be recognised and worrying, then again very happy.

Got four days off the booze so far. :)

I'm feeling much better physically but my anxiety levels have increased a bit. I'm going to try my best to stick it out this time. Alcohol makes me so sick and I can feel how its destroyed my insides now. It really is an evil drug and I wanna learn to live my life without it. Ive been getting these strong urges to drink every few hours but I'm sure those will pass in time. I'm just not going to drink today, and hopefully keep this mindset. Considering the weekends here I know I'm gonna be thinking about it , but I'm just gonna do my best not to let it get to me.

^^ The same count and substance, again for some reason. There's some drunken opportunistic shit from me way too much, even two posts that way is too much. How it goes when been shamed goes away and want to stay? Normal dose benzo intake...? Maybe it should pass away on own time without doing again something totally abnormal.

It's problematic because outdoors everybody knows why some drunkos are out of control and shouting all possible shit that pleases corrupted mind.

And what's it about drunken women? Droolers and wanting quick change of downstair liquid.

Btw, some here keep saying don't compare benzo abuse to alcoholism, their very same. No limits on any aspect and later feeling the _what the hell i've been doing_. Or husband/wife wacuum cleaning shit, excrenement, from hair after few days/weeks and so-on.

sober feels pretty darn good, i must say!

Not with me. My personality type is so weak that i can't stand myself, proper said, what i've been writing, in this case. It's total arrogance that gets into figure. And it helps a shit if most others who to communicate when on circle are jack asses or low life alcoholistics or freaks.

Not a lot of wine tasting parties but at least no home-brewed yeast shit been around and floor is non-damaged. And no damn next apartment is going to come if i spoil and break intentiously. I know it takes years, about 10 before quitting. And to get hooked too. What it's anyway, when out of money, apartment, make home wine. Or cheating or criminal. It doesn't take much to quit to me, am now done 8 months of about two week drinkings. If eating good nothing happens but realising mind is on low and stabile after quitted. Those people, it's claimed, they don't eat good or drink water, which are complete lies. Munching all-away it is. And alcohol crampings and so on, bullshit. I'm not even real alcoholistic, i need to drink shit on snowpile for 3 years more.

And since teen age, been messing all possible shit and social messing talking shit to everybody available when drunken. Then when something rational comes to figures it's that things are going to change soon, then. Hangover can be nasty headache but worst if, what's the word, morning shame. Even howling, i'm not kidding. Free the spirit when trusted pals or girlfriend around, then they or self don't care a lot. And drunken are some times completely harassed and shamed what the hell is those words and what why, what-what accepting, and can't stand others at all. LOL.

Then are gays too, it's surprising how much those are. I wouldn't drink together if it's unclear what kind of ideas they have for sharing the bottle...haha.

Last edited:
Congrats on your 4 days and your determination to get things better CC! :)

O-psychopa- this thread is for talking about our struggles with alcohol or supporting others having alcohol problems. General gripes about alcoholics, celebration of drinking, etc. do not go here. Things not about alcohol as problem or about solutions for alcohol problems need to go elsewhere.

Got four days off the booze so far. :)

I'm feeling much better physically but my anxiety levels have increased a bit. I'm going to try my best to stick it out this time. Alcohol makes me so sick and I can feel how its destroyed my insides now. It really is an evil drug and I wanna learn to live my life without it. Ive been getting these strong urges to drink every few hours but I'm sure those will pass in time. I'm just not going to drink today, and hopefully keep this mindset. Considering the weekends here I know I'm gonna be thinking about it , but I'm just gonna do my best not to let it get to me.

4 days is awesome CC, keep it up mate! I was able to go 3 days without last week, due to it making me very sick also. Right now I have gone about 15hrs without 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.