Alcoholism Thread v. A sober life is a good life <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am drinking... solarized peppermint tea with honey, calcium, and magnesium. I just made a batch of blueberry/peppermint-green tea/milk thistle for later. I drank responsibly (2 beers) on Friday. Saturday night and Sunday night were a facepalm.

This has got to stop somewhere. I am sick (sinus infection, thanks for that, roommate :|) and having a terribly rough day in general.

I have found valerian root to be quite effective in the past - can't drink on it. I can't keep down valerian tea, but no problems with the capsules. My benzodiazepine taper is going almost too well. When I drink my solarized tea with a bit of honey or agave nectar, I feel better. I just wish it wasn't such a gut-bomb. :(

I consider AA's standards on medication to be unnecessarily restrictive. voxmystic, the choice to go totally clean all at once is yours. If you are a chronic alcoholic, you should seek medical advice before going abstinent so as to avoid seizures. If you feel you need the fellowship and support of AA, then I hope you find a group that suits you. Otherwise, there are loads of BLers who have quit, or are quitting, alcohol. My best in strength either way.

I'll write up the tea recipes with amount of water and type of bags once I'm sure they work. I have a fever at present (not alcohol-related; my roommate is really sick) and I think it's best I work on the couch a few hours while my tea solarizes for later.

<3

3 weeks. had a bit of an emotional / existential freak out this weekend. really don't want to go to AA.

I don't get this for 4 days i've barely craved alcohol and then bang day 5 I am going spazo and feeling a great need of wanting it.

To cave in or not to cave in that is the question?

noonoo -- weird; i was craving today (my day 5), too. i thought it was just because my brother in law came over and had a few beers and a couple of shots with my husband. they stayed mostly in the shop, but i felt a little left out, as we used to all drink together. i know they were just being considerate, but i miss hanging out with my boys. i'm sure after a bit they'll be able to drink their beers/shots, and i'll be able to drink my tea/juice/water all together in the same place again without anyone feeling strange about it.

the next hurdle will be band practice. we all usually stay pretty strait for gigs, but rehearsals are full of weed and alcohol. i have a feeling the mota will be harder to resist than the booze.

i've been partying like a rock star for 25 years (except for pregnancies) and it's gotta be taking it's toll, although no major health issues have cropped up yet. i've used lots of drugs in every catagory on this site, from whip-its to r.c.'s. if i quit now, i'm not missing out on any experiences. if i DON'T quit, though, i'm afraid i might.

i have a 5-year-old, and i'd like to see her grow up. hell, i'd like to be the best parent i can be now, even if i get hit by a log truck tomorrow. i'd like to have clear memories of her childhood. i was an absent parent to my 20-year-old, so i'd kinda like to do it better this time around.

AA might offer helpful support; i don't know. never been. long distance and bad timing make it a non-viable option, anyway. i didn't realize they had really restrictive ideas about meds. the decision to be drug-free is mine entirely, for all the reasons i mentioned above. i'm through with the hardest part -- shakes and g.i. issues are all over, thank god/dess! i do appreciate having bl to talk through it all with -- thank you n3o, mariposa, and everyone!

odd -- i came to bl to read up on mdpv -- whoda thunk i'd end up frequenting a drug site for support in quitting drugs?

Im really worried about myself, im 18 and im just coming off benzos, have serious anxiety issues and drink heavily, ive been a heavy drinker for a few months, never even considered myself to be at an alcoholics level or anything, but this weekend i have drank every day and alot, and it got to the point where i stole some money for drink, considered stealing wine from the local 247 at 9ish in the morning, and even got drunk around 9:30 this morning, sobered up now sitting here at 2:30 am and ive had 2 beers and about a glass and a half of wine (and yes not my alcohol, my dads), i feel terrible, my drug usage has got out of control and now drinking is becoming a big factor and i dont know what to do, ill probably be able to get a few hours sleep after these drinks but will wake up shaking, i even had stomach pains this morning that the drink tonight got rid off.

Any advice or anything, i just dont know what the fuck to do with myself anymore, i even lost a good mate this weekend by telling his parents he did heroin with me whilst drunk, and i feel like a scumbag completely and deserve any criticism, but im just looking for advice really.

I have some pregablin coming soon which im hoping in low doses will help with any wds and cravings but still im lost completely.

thank you to anyone that can give me any advice.

Gosh I remember the day. I was like 17 and had left home to go to college right after 11th grade. Was pouring PGA in a tennis ball can. Others would come to 'my closet' to ask if they could get their friends (and themselves too) a California cooler or two ... I dropped out after that first semester. Um, coming off benzos sucks too, been down that road ... but never at the same time. I had a little weed habit too - oh for about 20 years. Yeah, I felt like a real winner too. They have voluntary rehabs here in Arkansas - it may take a little research, I don't know where you live but they have some sort of rehab facility. I know it sucks dude, but they give you meds to wean you off whatever it is that you're suffering with. BTW there is nothing they can do for an addiction to xanax. Be thankful it's just valium or valium types. I wish you well. Obstaining from using is the only answer. They'll encourage you to go to some 12-step meetings too. If you do something as dumb as steal from a store, you will really be in some serious trouble as I think in jail they don't care about your withdrawals. Go the rehab way. Good luck, and peace to you.

I've been physically/mentally addicted to benzos for 6 years now and have been stablized down to only 15mg diazepam daily for about 10 weeks now, since my use has been so heavy, but have also drank too much every night in that time too and still have been drinking quite heavily every night to numb myself and help with previous heavy benzo use. I've never been physically addicted to alcohol but keep drinking too much eventhough I know it makes my depression worse and makes me feel like absolute shit some days. Have also had a rediculous amount of codeine/paracetamol tabs with alcohol the past few nights that i'm worried my liver is going to give out. This sucks lately

Last edited:
My mum's been drinking every night recently and I'm starting to become a little concerned.

She used to be an alcoholic and attended AA for said alcoholism. This was 20 years ago if not more. I haven't noticed it reaching a whole bottle of champagne on any one night yet but I think the amount is ever so slowly increasing. (tonight it was all but maybe one or two glasses short of a bottle)

I guess my question is should this be something I bring up with her? My mum and I have a very open relatinoship and I know almost every facet of her life (past and present) and she knows the same of me so if it were something to be worried about it wouldn't be something I would hesitiate to bring up with her. Because it's only ever been me and her I don't really have anyone on which to model what is normal for someone of her age to be drinking - is drinking every night (even if it's not a huge amount just yet) something to be concerned about? She's not getting blotto although I can tell she's definitely tipsy.

Also; she takes temazepam each night to help her sleep which as I'm sure you'll know is a benzo. The combination of alcohol + benzos is another point of concern for me (and again I don't know how dangerous or unhealthy it is other than it can lead to blackouts)

^^ If you're close with your mum I think you should DEFINITELY speak to her about it. Tell her you're concerned and reach out to her. If she's had problems with drinking before, and she's drinking every night again now, it means that there's probably something going on in her life that is causing her stress.
Let us know how it goes mate <3

Have also had a rediculous amount of codeine/paracetamol tabs with alcohol the past few nights that i'm worried my liver is going to give out. This sucks lately

Mate, please do a cold-water extraction on the tablets to get the codeine out. It is ridiculously quick and easy and it saves your liver a tonne of potential damage!!! All you need to do is dissolve the tablets in cold water for about 10 minutes, then strain the water through an old t-shirt (or something similar) to get the white substrate off, and drink the liquid left after you strain it. That will get about 90% of the paracetamol out. MUCH better for your liver!!

Livers are incredible organs but they're not invincible, and we only get one. You need to look after it.

^
Hey mate, yep I would have a little chat with her about it, especially if you do have a good relationship with her. As an addict I know I used to get very angry/not listen when my parents tried to talk to me at what would have been my worse (eventhough I don't remember much), but now I know they were always doing the right thing and things could have probably turned alot worse if they never spoke up. So yeah in the end it does more damage to ignore and not talk to someone who you're worried about. Take it easy mate

^^ If you're close with your mum I think you should DEFINITELY speak to her about it. Tell her you're concerned and reach out to her. If she's had problems with drinking before, and she's drinking every night again now, it means that there's probably something going on in her life that is causing her stress.
Let us know how it goes mate <3

Mate, please do a cold-water extraction on the tablets to get the codeine out. It is ridiculously quick and easy and it saves your liver a tonne of potential damage!!! All you need to do is dissolve the tablets in cold water for about 10 minutes, then strain the water through an old t-shirt (or something similar) to get the white substrate off, and drink the liquid left after you strain it. That will get about 90% of the paracetamol out. MUCH better for your liver!!

Livers are incredible organs but they're not invincible, and we only get one. You need to look after it.

Hey neo, we were typing simultaniously :). Yep I promise if I need to take more of the shit i'll do a cwe. Have been silly and to lazy

Yes, talk with her. Preferably before she starts drinking. Make in a calm, I'm concerned about you and I love you kind of talk. Ask her to please get some help, tell her you need her around ... do it soon. Alcoholics are something else. They're clever and will most likely look for a way to sneak a drink here and there. But ultimately it has to be their decision to get better. You can't wish them better. My Father missed out on oh most of my life due to alcoholism. It finally killed him ... chronic alcoholism is what is listed on his death certificate as cause of death.

aaaand, one more vote for "talk to her". be prepared for her to be defensive at first. give her time to mull it over for herself and come around. just keep loving her -- sounds like you two are tight, so that won't be too hard. luck!

Aaand i'm drunk once again and numb on codeine. Feel like i'm heading towareds where I did one night last week where I remember sitting outside spewing numerous times/passing out outside. Just thought I would winge about how much I hate myself if thats ok n3ophy7e. Just will never know why I have do the shit that I do, plus I missed my drug/alc counselling appointment last week due to being too hungover :/

Last edited:
@ fivelinefury -- could you add a bit of milk thistle to your cocktail? it won't mess up your buzz, and your liver will thank you.

your candle is still burning....peace to you.

good and less good........

good: when i go to sleep tonight, i will have been without alcohol for a whole week. first time in more than 5 years that i've gone without a drink for an entire week.

less good: i caved on the cannabis. had 2 vapes this afternoon.

oh, well. baby steps.

^Good for you! IMO, light cannabis use can really help the initial nausea.

Being sick definitely put a dent in my ability to drink, the desire just hasn't been there - but I am still not feeling much better. The rebound depression is getting to be a real bitch...

Writing about it (offline) helps. If there is anything good about this (so far) it's not being foggy anymore.

^^
Thats an awesome acheivement vox!! On the "less good" ya can't focus on too much at once otherwise its too much harder.

I'm where I am 2 nights ago again now. My alcohol/codeine combo. I was too hungover to want a drink last night so I was too eager to drink (along with 225mg codeine) tonight. Eventhough I put this down to me not being on "other stuff" anymore, it sorta feels like i'm going back to when I was 17-20, when I used to drink heavily :/

day 11: trying hard to remember all the good reasons i have to stay sober. this bright, sunshiney day would go perfectly with a tall, cold, honeyed, pale ale. or a frozen margarita.

i'm sticking with iced tea and fruit juices. *sigh*

a vape of weed might make me feel less deprived........

Status
Not open for further replies.