• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Alcoholism Discussion Thread Version 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ended up in a closet, naked and screaming while asleep last time I drank and took trazadone (also was taking benzos) :\

Oh did I mention I was visiting my family and we were leaving for a family vacation the next day?
Makes me feel better to know that incident wasn't isolated to my experience. Nice way to kick off a family excursion. No loss of topics for friendly family chit-chat.
Yeah, I never had that happen prior to that (and there were times when I would drink considerably more[and took Trazadone]) It was weird...came out of nowhere, felt like absolute garbage the next day too. The reason I stress the point is because it was so fucking unprecrdented and beyond my control.
Reminded me of a strong heroin high/overdose.
Peace.

Kind hard to stay sober when there's a liquor store on every corner

Exactly my problem, and the reason I've finally chosen to post on this forum after years of reading (really hope I'm writing this in the right place - my apologies if not!)...

History: Ketamine dependent for a year, circa 2011: daily use but definitely functioning (small but hourly doses, nearly destroyed relationship, left home town to remove accessibility...) Was tee-total (alcohol) until 2011 (though used diazepam/morphine whenever available); now using alcohol for the same reasons as previously used K (depression/to numb the days/loneliness/habit/temporarily increase self-esteem)... the problem: this new drug is now available from 4 "dealers" within a 5 minute walk.
Mother is wine drinker. Luckily no more spirits (to my knowledge), but definitely feel her lifelong relationship with alcohol has fuelled mine and my brothers.
Also, whereas ketamine is my partner's least favourite drug, his drug of choice is alcohol, though he has a "healthy" relationship with it (restricted to pubs/Friday nights etc), and I hide it (hiding bottles/eating raw onions etc).

I find the above-mentioned drugs very similar in effect (and from reading posts here, it seems those with a history of opioid addiction can relate to this).

Although I have cut down significantly (from drinking a bottle of wine before work last year), I know I'm still drinking daily for the wrong reasons. Returned to uni last September (which has been more of a deterrent than any job ever was), and am shit-scared if I don't sort this soon, I'm gonna end up the same way I was on K. Importantly, I never want to subject my other half to my addictions again.

Again, really sorry if this is long-winded, or if I've said the wrong thing or posted in the wrong place; having read through the posts prior to this, it seemed this is where I might find and give understanding/support.

Best wishes to all,
Eira

Trazadone and alcohol in my opinion is a horrible combo. ...In my opinion. I was taking trazadone for a while(and drinking). Came a day when I was drunk and took my pill and WHAM! I felt like I drank a gallon of vodka! Instantly. So I stopped taking Trazadone.

I've been taking 2-3 mg Etizolam and drinking 2-3 beers along with 25mg trazodone (half my prescribed dose) .. I take/drink those several hours before the Trazodone though.

I have been having trouble getting up on time, was late for work the last 2 days which never usually happens .. might have to drop.one of.these from my.diet....

No desire for liquor since I saw my new Doc last week tho .. with all the chems I'm on I've got to try hard to avoid it.

Last edited:
Hey Folks. June here.
Hope everyone is doing well out there.
I have a question. My sweetheart is now totally broke and anything I have must go to bills, food; so there is no money for beer. He has been drinking beer every day for the last 20 yrs, about 12-20 a day.
Yesterday he had only three. Today he will have none as we can't afford it at this time. He will not seek Dr. help to assist with this.
What can i do to help.

Any natural remedies to assist in withdrawal and what should I be aware of regarding symptoms of withdrawal. I worry that after so many years with, a few days without may have uncomfortable effects on him.
Should I somehow get some beer so he can ween? or just let him go through this?

anyone?
kind regards
june

he just made a joke that's he'll be in the bathroom, crying. But I know he's already feeling rough. Ween or cold turkey folks?

Last edited:
Hey Folks. June here.
Hope everyone is doing well out there.
I have a question. My sweetheart is now totally broke and anything I have must go to bills, food; so there is no money for beer. He has been drinking beer every day for the last 20 yrs, about 12-20 a day.
Yesterday he had only three. Today he will have none as we can't afford it at this time. He will not seek Dr. help to assist with this.
What can i do to help.

Any natural remedies to assist in withdrawal and what should I be aware of regarding symptoms of withdrawal. I worry that after so many years with, a few days without may have uncomfortable effects on him.
Should I somehow get some beer so he can ween? or just let him go through this?

anyone?
kind regards
june

he just made a joke that's he'll be in the bathroom, crying. But I know he's already feeling rough. Ween or cold turkey folks?

He needs to see a Doctor, hate to break it to you. Drinking that much for so long places him at great risk for seizures, DTs, suicidal ideation etc etc. Have you talked to him about how serious this is? He will most likely be far more then uncomfortable. I really personally do not feel comfortable beyond saying to seek medical assistance immediately. Legally, they have to treat him at the ER. He is not just at risk for seizures either, it can cause heart attack and other cardiovascular, stroke, psychosis etc etc. Thankfully, we have medicine today that makes Alcohol Withdrawal much easier to endure.

No offense, but do you really want to put yourself under this type of pressure? Again, his life could be at risk and he really needs to be under supervision. At the very least it will almost certainly be extremely painful. Keep in mind that Alcohol Withdrawal tends to increase in severity for a few days. Often, the worst doesn't come till around day 3. Even dropping from 20 to 3 is risky. Another suggestion is to start looking to see if any Detox centers have "charity" beds open.

Last edited:
He needs to ween off alcohol. Cold turkey detox from alcohol can be fatal, especially if he's been drinking that much for 20 years straight.

This page has some good info on tapering off alcohol.

http://www.hamsnetwork.org/taper/

I used that technique when I had been drinking way too much daily/nightly for a long period of time. I learned about it here on bluelight since someone had posted it.

I did not die or have health problems from tapering, or even withdrawal but I would not recommend DIY (do it yourself) tapering to anyone. Looking back I was very foolish not to have told anyone like my parents, friends, or even a doctor what I was doing or that I had a problem with alcohol. My mother and one other relative knew I had an issue with it but they did not say anything to me since it just would have made me angry at the time, and I would have kept drinking which is what I did when someone else said this to me.

I also believed or thought at the time that in order to be an alcoholic you had to be physically addicted to alcohol. I still would drink and abuse drugs and drink way too much alone, on weekends, on vacation, or when at a party.

I did realize I have a problem with alcohol and if I did not stop it would just get 1,000X worse. It's been two years this month.

The person who said that their friend is drinking a lot daily should have they or their friend check into a detox/rehab center. In some places they have state run places that you can go to for free. Good luck.

Last edited:
Been sober for a couple weeks, been in and out if the hospital for the past couple years...... Some if my worst withdrawal has come most recently from alcohol and benzo abuse, it's a rough go, best thing when dealing with withdrawal is to be in a safe environment like a detox center or hospital, I know first hand how dangerous stopping alcohol can be.

Traditional rehabs and 12-step programs always turned me off so much. I've been to quite a few. Only one time by choice, and even they were pushing 12-step on me in this therapeutic living community in Florida when I was getting ready to leave. My counselor said I would be able to use martial arts and Buddhism as my 'program' for recovering, but she was new and the other counselors told me they didn't believe sobriety could be achieved without self-help meetings.

Just over a year ago I stumbled upon this Harvard Doctor, Dr. Lance Dodes. His books are fascinating and show how the disease concept of addiction and alcoholism is actually a misconception.

He really gets to the heart of what is going on, and I feel his books have helped me more than any rehab I ever been to. His views are revolutionary, but they can definitely offend any avid 12-steppers. While detox and inpatient may be necessary for some, there are certainly programs out there that do not buy into this outdated disease misconception, however rare and expensive they may be, unfortunately.

His books are The Heart of Addiction, Breaking Addiction, and The Sober Truth: Debunking the Bad Science Behind 12-Step Programs and the Rehab Industry (this last one could definitely start a riot at an AA or NA meeting, lol.) Here's a link to his blog if anyone is at all interested and an NPR interview:

http://www.lancedodes.com/

http://www.npr.org/2014/03/23/291405829/with-sobering-science-doctor-debunks-12-step-recovery

Last edited:
Okay, thanks folks.
We are four days in; first day he had a few, next, none, third he gathered a six pack and yesterday, two.
I have spoken in depth with him about seeking medical help from pro's; he absolutely refuses and I mean, won't even budge a little.

I must say, though worried for his well being, I am proud of him for making it through this last half week without his regular amount. So very. He's done allot to get through it like bike rides, painting and house stuff.
But yes, I know, the withdrawal symptoms will be increasing. Thanks for the links; i'll be checking them out.

Perhaps his body will be telling him what I cannot over this next stage of time and I will be monitoring, ready to call who I must to care for him, if need be, help is a phone call away.

again, thanks for the advice, appreciated greatly

I had a dream about drinking beer the other night. The odd part is that I drank with my friend's parents who are alcoholics. I'm not sure if my friend or her brother are alcoholics but I know both of their parents are. I did not buy or drink any alcohol today since one would have been to many, and 1,000 drinks never enough.

Do other people reading this thread ever dream about drinking alcohol, or using other drugs?

I used to dream about other drugs all types of them but now I no longer do and haven't had a dream like that in years. I haven't drank any alcohol in 2 years and one month, so will the occasional dream about drinking alcohol eventually go away like it did for dreams about other drugs?

I know it's normal to have using dreams; but do they ever go away? Or does the idea at the back of your head about using ever go away, or get less intense?

Last edited:
Having been a very heavy drinker the past few years I have been finding withdrawals this time round some what unbearable. Am 5 days into sobriety and today have been anxious as all hell as I really wanted to drink as it was a Friday however something came up and it looks like I won't have a chance now to drink until next week. Over the last 5 days, some have definitely been easier but others have been tough, in the past I found anxiety to drink was always the worst on the weekends as you know it's a time for celebration. Bah wish I never touched this poison.....It' s sent me into a vicious cycle which I've been trying to escape from over the last 8 or so years.

^^
The first week is pretty tough, but after that it should get better day by day!!
Im 18 off that poison now, and jeez do i like it.

Are you on meds or do you have any medical assistance?

good luck bro you can do it its DEFINETELY worth it trust me

Is it possible for me to quit without a benzo

Drinking 750ishml of vodka a day for almost 2 years

you wanna try and get a benzo mate.

but you could taper with alchy though i would go to the ER and tell them. that shit can kill you if stop, and also kill you if you don't.

yeah you should put 100% trust in your medical/doctor professional with detoxing. it's bad info to say otherwise. that's your best bet at it anyway.

it's pretty hard to do it on your own, your jugdment is not the best of times and you could die.

Had a small relapse after getting home from rehab, but now I've been sober for 31 days again, this time with the help of Antabuse...

Boredom becomes a problem after being sober for some time, I think I have to find more activities other than drink/drugs. I've been thinking about joining a local zen buddhist meditation group - I've been attracted to buddhism for almost 20 years.

I'm certain I'll never be able to use alcohol in a controlled manner and total sobriety is the only real option. I'm not so sure about other drugs like cannabis, maybe I could use that in moderation? I already found myself browsing RC vendor websites and looking for new legal synthetic cannabinoids, but didn't order anything yet. Right now its best I stay away from all intoxicants.

Status
Not open for further replies.