• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Alcoholism Discussion Thread Version 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think drug substitution happens a lot. My ex quit heroin and cigarettes in the same year, but now he smokes weed and drinks every single night. He puts me down for relapsing on heroin, but at least when I'm clean I'm CLEAN.

Smoking herb is the problem. A LOT of addicts both to alcohol and other drugs do this and it just winds up becoming a substitute addiction for us, and then we relapse on alcohol or our drug(s) of choice we have an addiction to. Plus if you do not use the drug(s) you are addicted to yet use cannabis, you are not sober or clean at all.

Can you check into an in-patient detox/rehab?

herb is not the problem, i dont think ive ever gone to jail or the hospital for weed but alcohol, to many times to count so far this year ive proably spent about a third of the time in jail caues alcohol

I think drug substitution happens a lot. My ex quit heroin and cigarettes in the same year, but now he smokes weed and drinks every single night. He puts me down for relapsing on heroin, but at least when I'm clean I'm CLEAN.

Don't let him put you down. He is lying to himself. He's still a drug addict in active addiction. You are being honest with yourself. You are a drug addict in recovery.

herb is not the problem, i dont think ive ever gone to jail or the hospital for weed but alcohol, to many times to count so far this year ive proably spent about a third of the time in jail caues alcohol

Hey glitter.. What he meant was weed makes you want to drink again. Not that weed actually causes the problems.

Very very common for ex opiate addicts to switch to Alcohol. I actually like alcohol as much as I like opiates. Alcohol and marijuana flipped "my switch" for years and years. Just like opiates did.

Also, alcohol withdrawal is worse then opiate withdrawal all things considered in my experience. Both are brutal but Alcohol withdrawal can be coupled with a very realistic and relevant question of "am I going to die?"

My alcohol and benzo withdrawal induced seizure was bar none the scariest moment of my life and the closest I have came to death.

Finally, many opiate addicts that switch to booze eventually end up hooked on both. Looking back on some of my cocktails, that involved 3-4 substances, I have no idea how I am alive now. Scary thing was it felt perfectly normal at the time.

I know what you mean phactor. For a year i shot up speedballs pretty much exclusively. Everything you read about them is that yheyre very dangerous and you can die-and its absolutely true-yet to me it was normal to wake up and do a speedball to get well, and id do them off and on all day. Looking back, its just crazy, but at the time, it was just what me and my friends did... It wasnt a big deal to us at all.

I miss that feeling once in a while, i cant lie. But I'm glad to be done with those days, and i have no desire to go back.

i dont think i could ever make it 74 days, the longest i ever made it was 30 or so, but that was with smoking weed everyday, all day long

I didn't either for a long time, but I know today I can make it at least 82 days. I plan on making it 83 tomorrow.

If I can, you can. It was painful in some ways, but in others its extremely easy. The payoff is worth it (so far at least). Overall, it very often gets easier day by day. It never gets worse, but it once in awhile basically "stays the same". Each day clean is a successful day! Today, I do not consider myself responsible for my disease/addiction (if its a disease or not really doesn't matter to me) but I am very much responsible for my recovery.

88 days clean today! Getting close to 90 days, time flies. It is so nice to not wake up hungover and/or sick. I don't constantly obsess when its "okay" to start drinking. I get stuff done as well. I have the day off, and before I would basically be waiting until around 12:00 to 1:00ish to figure out when I could start to drink (if I could make it that far).

...How poignantly liberating.

Explain? I find it pretty awesome to have finally resolved that I do not have to use anymore. I don't care what its called "disease", "addiction", "dependency" all that same to me.

Last edited:
Had 90 days yesterday and just realized I have hardly thought about alcohol at all over the past week or so. Man, alcoholism sucks. I do think of the amount of time and money I wasted on the stuff and kinda cringe but I cannot change the past.

im in withdrawl right now (40h now). No energy, sweating, feeling bit of a flue, dizzy. Mostly fysikal. Am not really thinking about it but i know thats mostly because i like it now that im off it. The cravings will come. But hey, tommorow starts day 3 so lets see it from the positive side :)

im in withdrawl right now (40h now). No energy, sweating, feeling bit of a flue, dizzy. Mostly fysikal. Am not really thinking about it but i know thats mostly because i like it now that im off it. The cravings will come. But hey, tommorow starts day 3 so lets see it from the positive side :)

It should start to get better by day 4 or 5. That is when you do need to watch for seizures though. If you feel sketchy, head to ER immediately. However, your symptoms do not seem to be at that level.

Keep it up! You can do it. Make sure you keep eating and drinking water. Take in smoothies or protein shakes if you do not have an appetite. Keep checking in and consider NA/AA and/or SMART meetings. Also, if you feel some sugar cravings, eat some candy.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/153006-early-warning-signs-of-a-seizure/

https://www.epilepsy.com/get-help/m...izures-and-emergencies/warning-signs-seizures

appreciating your posts, GenericName. congrats on 11 months. i'm building in resolve, though friday night was a bitch. it's not moping around my place that makes me want to drink; it's social situations and good feelings. i want to drink when i wake up early and it's a beautiful day out. part of the problem is i'm not sober and that's not a goal. the goal is to not be controlled by any substance and not lose control because of any substance. for all of those that i like, that means i need to quit. for the time being. i haven't addressed that yet with green and i just got to the last step of my several month long benzo taper two weeks ago. well i guess the last step is none, which is in two weeks.

friday. i was invited to a networking event on a yacht downtown. we watched the city's fireworks after the baseball game. that's good stuff. i should be doing stuff like that. people consider that kind of activity positive and fun. even privileged and desirable. i wanted to drink so fucking bad. it was hosted by a guy that does film, so it was primarily advertising people. one agency was doing work for a new client's brand of tequila. they had just finished the shoot and had countless (expensed) bottles of product. instead of spending the whole time going back and forth on whether i can have a drink, i fantasized about a glass some day in the future when i might be able to have a drink. feels like a step in the right direction. five months yesterday.

NSFW:
downtown.png

Been sober since the 15th of last month...and cigarette free.
The only thing that I noticed my newfound sobriety has a impact on is my weight as I've put on 20 lbs. in a month.
That's all.
Where's the profound, significant change for the better in my life?
I personally feel like I had more of a purpose for being when I used to obsess about the next time I would be wasted. I can't contend with the fact that I can't/shouldn't get fucked up. The only thing that I can hope for is that I somehow will solve the puzzle of controled drinking.

Quit trying to quit the last time I was around here. Been drinking strong all Summer long, keeping it under wraps but still embarrassing myself regularly. 'thankfully' people may think my controversial statements arise from my bipolarty and not the addiction I've hid for so long.

Saw a Doctor for the first time all year today, she encouraged me to drink much less as she said my meds aren't very effective when I drink (which is always).

She's giving me a trazadone script (worked great years back) and upping another med so maybe I can limit myself for a bit. Skipped the liquor store and the brewery on the way home (planned stops), hopefully a couple 6-packs my Dad gave me will last until week's end.

Also thinking of trying to reduce/replace alcohol with etizolam, knowing myself that wouldn't go well though but stands to reason it would be less harmful to myself in the short term.

Quit trying to quit the last time I was around here. Been drinking strong all Summer long, keeping it under wraps but still embarrassing myself regularly. 'thankfully' people may think my controversial statements arise from my bipolarty and not the addiction I've hid for so long.

Saw a Doctor for the first time all year today, she encouraged me to drink much less as she said my meds aren't very effective when I drink (which is always).

She's giving me a trazadone script (worked great years back) and upping another med so maybe I can limit myself for a bit. Skipped the liquor store and the brewery on the way home (planned stops), hopefully a couple 6-packs my Dad gave me will last until week's end.

Also thinking of trying to reduce/replace alcohol with etizolam, knowing myself that wouldn't go well though but stands to reason it would be less harmful to myself in the short term.
Trazadone and alcohol in my opinion is a horrible combo. ...In my opinion. I was taking trazadone for a while(and drinking). Came a day when I was drunk and took my pill and WHAM! I felt like I drank a gallon of vodka! Instantly. So I stopped taking Trazadone.

It should start to get better by day 4 or 5. That is when you do need to watch for seizures though. If you feel sketchy, head to ER immediately. However, your symptoms do not seem to be at that level.

Keep it up! You can do it. Make sure you keep eating and drinking water. Take in smoothies or protein shakes if you do not have an appetite. Keep checking in and consider NA/AA and/or SMART meetings. Also, if you feel some sugar cravings, eat some candy.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/153006-early-warning-signs-of-a-seizure/

https://www.epilepsy.com/get-help/m...izures-and-emergencies/warning-signs-seizures

Thank you for posting those links. I went through pretty bad withdrawal after trying to quit cold turkey about 2 months ago. Thankfully no seizures, but horrible vivid hallucinations. Ended up in the ER and tannin the hospital thanks to some good friends that encouraged me to go.

Stupidly a week ago I went on a bender, and started drinking heavily (375ml of vodka per day for 4 days straight) now I'm trying to stop again (quit yesterday afternoon) and I puked all morning today. Trying to do the taper thing this afternoon and so far so good (using beer).

I am extremely worried about the seizures, but I have some Valium left for once I feel better and MOST importantly sober. I know that mixing benzodiazepines and alcohol can actually increase the risk of seizures.

Last edited:
Trazadone and alcohol in my opinion is a horrible combo. ...In my opinion. I was taking trazadone for a while(and drinking). Came a day when I was drunk and took my pill and WHAM! I felt like I drank a gallon of vodka! Instantly. So I stopped taking Trazadone.

I ended up in a closet, naked and screaming while asleep last time I drank and took trazadone (also was taking benzos) :\

Oh did I mention I was visiting my family and we were leaving for a family vacation the next day?

Status
Not open for further replies.