• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Alcoholism Discussion Thread Version 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem drinker, well i personally never had much of a problem calling myself an alcoholic! more of a problem with abstinence. here is what Wikipedia says as far a definitions go.

Alcoholism is a broad term for problems with alcohol, and is generally used to mean compulsive and uncontrolled consumption of alcoholic beverages, usually to the detriment of the drinker's health, personal relationships, and social standing. It is medically considered a disease, specifically an addictive illness. In psychiatry several other terms have been used, specifically "alcohol abuse", "alcohol dependence," and "alcohol use disorder" which have slightly different definitions.[1] Alcohol misuse has the potential to damage almost every organ in the body, including the brain. The cumulative toxic effects of chronic alcohol abuse can cause both medical and psychiatric problems.[2] One who has alcoholism is called an alcoholic.

Stop the Boozing and Let YOURSELF become the Good Person you Deserve to be

On Friday I had a hunch something was bad going to happen to me, in that I'd be done with drink driving, what happened next totally blew me away.

That day was like any other, I'd drink and drive to a friends place, only to go to anothers in a drunken state - yet after doing this for years and not being caught except for once over 5 years ago I had this feeling that it was good to go only at the back of my mind I knew today wasn't my lucky day. I ended up driving back home from the second friends place and had a car suddenly break in front of me to turn right with barely having the indicator on, this lady was turning right as her house was across the road. In my situation I was faced with 3 options - run into the back of her, turn left and smash into another car or go right over the median strip and so I smashed into the back of her car.

Now low and behold this would of all been fine and my insurance would of covered me and her for this unforeseeable accident however it was not to be. I registered a high range and made the bad decision of not choosing to go to the doctors for a different reading which probably would of shaved some months off my loss of license but I accepted for what I did was wrong. In the end when I ponder about it, I drove to save $30 for a cab which I needed to take in the end any how as the cops couldn't drive me home.

So what's the damage?

Loss of license - 1 - 3 years
Negligent driving fine - $1100
Drink driving fine - up to $3300
My car totalled - Loss of $1000 (Lucky I wasn't driving a $80,000 car and totalled it because my insurance wouldn't of payed for this)
The other ladies car - It was still driveable and didn't get towed away so it's possible the damages could be up to 7k?

In total it was my decision that night which made this situation for what it is and now I will be paying the price dearly.

So what have I learnt?

- Don't hang out with drinking friends because they aren't real friends (the next day these people who I drove to the other persons house so that they didn't have to pay for a cab didn't give two shits bout what happened to me and I learned a long time ago not too because they are just drinking friends and don't know how to be a real friend without the alcohol.)

- Simply don't drink and punish yourself

- Look for a different crutch if things are shit (jerk off 10 times a day if you need to make yourself feel better, it's probably safer)

- Don't think you're above the law

- If you haven't drunk in days and you have broken your drinking cycle where you always feel sober don't even think about stepping into a car.

- Accept what's coming to you and end the problem once and for all and kill the beast that lives inside.

And on that note I leave you guys with this quote which I pondered on the day before my accident:

“An old Cherokee told his grandson, “My Son, there is a battle between two wolves inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego. The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness, empathy and truth.” The boy thought about it, and asked, “Grandfather, which wolf wins?” The old man quietly replied, “The one you feed.””

You know drunk driving is a serious problem with every alcoholic ! and nearly all of us don't want to admit that it's a problem! in all reality we should not be behind a wheal! your putting yourself in physical danger as well as financial danger, most of all you could hurt or kill other people. Most don't even admit driving drunk until they get caught. If your an alcoholic and drive to a bar to get drunk , then guess what your drunk driving. What did the restaurant industry really think yea let me leave my car here, ill ride with my other drunk friend or ill call a cab and drop 50$ sure that happens about 5% of the time ! It just sucks it takes an accident or worse a another's life to have us alcoholics realize wow i shouldn't have been driving ! yeah no shit kinda late for that !

Last edited:
Still drinking brew steady (despite doc's recommendations) and combining with increasing doses of etizolam .. which is.going to crash down hard on me.very soon now that it's NLA in legit form stateside.

I want to decrease my ~300 oz/wk intake drastically now that the seasons are upon us... Bought a second project car to waste time and money on but it doesnt make a dent.

Have been 6 weeks liquor free at least. Consumption of that poison brings me to a whole.different level of self destruction.
Only negative effects lately are gaining 10 lbs in 4 months and passing out early and waking up late with massive amnesia.

Part-time alcoholic, part-time loser :\

3 days and im feeling fine not even craving alcohol at all, i am eating a shit load and junk food, candy, ice cream, surgery stuff ! over all feeling good :) now i just need to start working out so i can get my body back to the way it was. for me and for the ladies ! i am about 215 6foot i shoud be like 180 ! i drop weight fast when im not drinking ! just need to cut out the large amounts of over eating and crap i don't need. i should be there in 3 months with proper diet and exercise

4 days and i'm feeling awesome ! i went for a 5-6 mile bike ride down mud lain, its this really beautiful road with eucalyptus trees on both sides, then it turns into a dirt road that is perfect to ride my mountain bike on. it feels good to do things that are not all about getting wasted! there are so many amazing places to explore here in Hawaii! I really need to make some new friends because most of my friends now just revolve everything around getting drunk or doing drugs. There is so much more to life than this bull shit drug seen !

good morning day 5 , so is there anyone else in this thread ? i finally post here and everyone else stopped

So basically new in this thread, with a question.
Living like a student, part of a frat and what not. I drink almost daily, varying from 0 to 2 beers, with binges on monday and wednesday. Then sometimes in the weekends I also have a binge day.Binging in my case means drinking 20 beers if not more. What are the odds of me developping a dependancy on alcohol? As there are plenty guys doing this same thing and they turn out fine, but the amounts are quite insane if you think about it.

So basically new in this thread, with a question.
Living like a student, part of a frat and what not. I drink almost daily, varying from 0 to 2 beers, with binges on monday and wednesday. Then sometimes in the weekends I also have a binge day.Binging in my case means drinking 20 beers if not more. What are the odds of me developping a dependancy on alcohol? As there are plenty guys doing this same thing and they turn out fine, but the amounts are quite insane if you think about it.

You might be doing what is called "priming" your brain. Essentially making the connection between substance = pleasure. Everyone who drinks makes the association. If the genetics and some say conditions are right for this, then one very well could develop alcoholism.

Lots of people drink heavily in early adulthood, which is also when addictions start to develop. Most stop the heavy drinking, some don't. I slowed down on the binges, but I damn sure had to have my beer every night no matter what. Eventually it got to the point where I literally did have to have alcohol in me at certain times or my body went totally out of whack. I kept this up for years and years. Sure the amount would wax and wane, but I couldn't stop. It was miserable (I also was using other drugs). I also learnt this coping mechanism at a very young age.

I don't live like that anymore, and its a huge gift. If it takes me giving up alcohol (and believe me, I LOVED beer) then so be it.

I can delve into this more if you want too. Also, feel free to PM me if you have stuff you don't want to share on the forum.

great job!
how much did you drink and how did you quit?
excersise is a good activity while withdrawling from alcohol, make sure to eat enough en hydrate.
Keep up the good work!

59 days without a drink...

Now that I can't drink because of the disulfiram, I've been having cravings to take other substances. I don't have any drug connections at the moment, so I'd have to resort to something like DXM, poppy pod tea or RCs if I wanted to get high.

On a second thought, it's best I don't take any substances right now. On friday I get to know whether I get the required funding for my PhD thesis, and I'll have to begin the work immediately if I do.

Day 7 and feeling good :) I went down to a secret coconut tree spot and got the load :) good work out too getting up a 40 foot coco tree !

haha nice
its all out fall where i am at, wind rain and a grey sky, i can only imagine how living on Hawaii must be like, you should feel blessed about that :)

To the people with some days under your belts. All i can say is i know who hard it is to keep being sober.Keep it up. It will get easier over time. I believe its much harder for someone with just days or months sober to stay that way then someone who has some years. Were all equally susceptible to its trickery but the cravings arent as severe usually.

Society has no clue how tough it really is. Getting sober is easy but to maintain it early on is very tough. Alcohol brought me within inches of my life so i know the real dangers and destruction it can do. Also, I have seen some of my family members lose the battle with it and some that have made it through so far. Im not an AA thumper but it really is a moment at a time.

Its been 4 years for me since my last meltdown, but I know that alcohol is extremely patient, which is why i like to keep it fresh for myself. If anyone has a question about anything on this, feel free to pm whenever. If i can help anyone in anyway with this beast of an addiction, then that is everything for me and the least i can do for being given a second chance in life.

i think the key is to see it from the perspective to live a life of sobriety and succes, make that your focus rather then abstaining from alcohol and drugs.

Hawaii

haha nice
its all out fall where i am at, wind rain and a grey sky, i can only imagine how living on Hawaii must be like, you should feel blessed about that :)

I truly am. i actually grew up here. I spent half my life in Florida a year in California, and when i moved to Oregon i was there about 2 1/2 months when slush rain started falling from the sky mixed with the gray skys i packed up and drove back to FL. been back home in HI for 3 years :) i do miss the big city life sometimes. It's not all fun and games in the country. Its not always a vacation. Many people turn to drugs and alcohol because there is not much to do out here, you can go to the beach only so many times. :sus:
but i am really trying to make some new friends that want to hang out and do things that do not always involve drinking, this guy today said you need a beer and i replied no man im good i got like 40+ coconuts. + i am good i don't want a beer! he dident understand. but thats ok i did not drink today. I did do some grocery shopping and when i passed the Alcohol section it did take some remaindering of why i can not have a drink. The main one that rang in my head was the Alcoholics death and the embarrassing amount of weight i have put on due to my addiction. The longest i have ever gone without a drink since i was 18-19 was about 6months and that was due to my diagnosis of diverticulitis! Doctors say its not the alc but i think that's BS, they also said don't eat seeds or nuts and now i magically can, dr don't understand digestive problems or any intestinal disorders. they just want to stick a camera up your ass then tell you to take the same pill you were already on that does not even help in the first place. I have found only one medicine that actually helps and its only made here in hawaii & one other compounding pharmacy in Texas, Its called joes mucosal nutrient pudding, saved my stomach :)

Not trying to sound egotistical or that I am not taking it seriously, but today the thought of drinking and using just seems so unappealing. Things are so much better for me and its only been 5 months and a day. My life is going so good. Yes, there have been bumps in the road and life happens of course, but overall things are just so much easier, more enjoyable and FUN. I get so much more enjoyment out of simple things like talking to people, listening to music, reading, watching the news or a movie etc etc.

Its really tough at first, it feels like you will never enjoy anything again, but if you are like me (and if you are on this thread, chances are you are) then things will get better. Keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.