• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Addicted to the needle

*nods in agreement* I often think it's why I've never learned but have always had my husband inject my doses...

i havent used a needle in 90 days and my mouth still waters when i see someone's bulging veins. i think about the needle alot and it sucks..

I'm the same when I see people's veins. Even when I was clean and had been for a while, although it got better over time. I notice my own too - my hands and arms are pretty much done, but sometimes I'll be filing my nails or something and see a vein and think "damn, that one would probably work".

I have this fantasy (I can't believe I'm saying this here, but I'm high, so fuck it) of having sex with a guy, him sitting in a chair and me on top, and halfway through we both stop, tie off, and shoot eachother up, then start up again as the rush hits us.

i havent used a needle in 90 days and my mouth still waters when i see someone's bulging veins. i think about the needle alot and it sucks..

Yeah, man. That will go away more with time but... it's always going to be something you're going to have to deal with. I know exactly what you mean.

A big part of the reason why IV drug users become so "addicted" to the needle or the preparation of a shot has to do with expected reward/pleasure/gratification and the brain. Im sure most of you have heard of Pavlov's dogs..you know (short version), the dogs hear a bell everytime they are fed. When they are fed their mouths tend to water/slaver..if you continue to ring the bell every time you feed them, then of course they continue to have to response of drooling then eventually you can ring the bell and they will drool even before you actually feed them. It is similar with a needle/IV fixation.

When you inject drugs/meds, you get such an immediate rush of pleasure/effect (similar to dogs getting excited about eating) due to the drug crossing the BBB so very quickly. You then associate the needle/syringe with immediate extreme pleasure (your brain does especially..even more so unconsciously..meaning even more so than you are consciously aware of). That is why sometimes you might get a beginning of pleasurable feeling just by inserting the needle/or registering that you are in the vein before you have even injected the drug...it is your brain making the connection..oh hey...needle being inserted (or even just the shot being prepared) is always followed by a super good feeling..

Studies have even shown that (and I will have to look for the source) even just going into a place ie, the bathroom, that you might use regularly to shoot up can evoke a response of pleasure in your brain.

I have a very strange relationship with q-tips. It's funny to me that to everyone else(non IV folk) it's just a cotton ended stick for cleaning your ears. Not even something a regular person would give a second thought to. For me, us, it's part of the lifeblood of the act of getting high.
In the same vein(heh) as the Pavolv's dog thing, I get a little shot of excitement, longing whenever I take a q-tip out of the box to clean my ears.
It obviously makes sense. It's just funny how our brains can attach such monumental significance to a otherwise pretty meaningless object.

And before anyone starts with the, "Don't use q-tip cotton! Get a micron!" Lemme tell you that I know, I know. Just seems that when neck deep in junkiedom, you take what you got. And I do when I am.

Haha so true^ ! For me its bottle caps. I still have this weird habit of saving my bottlecaps in my pockets or putting them on my dresser thinking ill use them as a cooker or to draw up water with. People always ask why i have waterbottle lids everywhere. Then i finally realize im on methadone and gather all them up to dump every few weeks.

I don't use q-tips.. I have a big bag of cottons, so I occasionally just pull a cotton ball from that.. & it will last me for about 3-4 weeks.

^^

The needle exchanges here have little ziplock bags full of perfect sized balls of cotton for filtering. That's what I normally use.

^The needle exchange cottons are awesome. I got/get them when I can. Just always seems like I somehow don't have the time to track down the NE van when I'm so, so busy either working, dicking around, and/or hustling to get dope money.
I've had a huge chunk of cotton like Junkiedays was speaking of. I just always preferred q-tips for whatever reason....

Those cottons that needle exchanges usually have are dental cottons..they are the perfect size and are rolled so tight that they make way better filters than other types of cotton. Sometimes you can find small boxes of them at a pharmacy...where the dental stuff is...and if you can find a package called a toothache kit they have a box of them included..I have bought it just for the cottons in it.

^The needle exchange cottons are awesome. I got/get them when I can. Just always seems like I somehow don't have the time to track down the NE van when I'm so, so busy either working, dicking around, and/or hustling to get dope money.
I've had a huge chunk of cotton like Junkiedays was speaking of. I just always preferred q-tips for whatever reason....

You don't have any stand alone needle exchanges there? It's all the vans?

The website says there's a actual office in Hartford now. I'm skeptical. When I was there it was a blue, unmarked van. The hours changed constantly and the stops were in the worst parts of town.
Sometimes my gf at the time and I would go down to the spot on time, wait and wait and they'd never show.
She'd call on Monday(we went on my day off) and get a answer along the lines of, "Oh, we changed the hours again but it's not reflected on the website yet."
Going to where the van was.... It was like a parade revolving around that van. Dealers making a circle, pulling up alongside cars that had just hit up the exchange, throwing them their # and/or a sample. Police making a similar circle, trying to figure who was doing what and pulling people over. It was insane.
Bristol and Waterbury have no exchange. Bridgeport and New Haven are a ways away....
Pharmacies are completely uncooperative throughout CT. There is ONE, one of probably 15 different pharms that I've tried that will sell me them. And it has to be when a specific pharmacist is working.
There's bodega's that sell singles if you ask for them but they constantly stop and start again. Usually outside the bodega's, typically in hot zones, there's corner people yelling that they got sharps. In amongst the dope and crack dealers. Some have wrapped ones, some don't. Disgusting. Would never do that but I've known people that did.
This was all in Hartford. I'm not very close to there now. I'm not actively addicted currently. When I do indulge, I have clean things.
I can tell you that if I were in the throes of addiction, it would be the same as always. I'd be reusing and reusing sharps because this stupid fucking state makes it so goddamn difficult.
Praise be to someone that I'm still disease free. If CT had it's way, I'd be dead by now. Let the problem solve itself.... Take away clean works, let disease run rampant and the junkies will disappear.

^thats so f'd up. In Alaska were slow to catch up with things and the pharms will sell you however much you like, even the big boxes. In L.A. Only certain phatmacies will and the NE hands out a pamphlet of the cooperating ones, sometimes they disagree and i have to pull out my pamphlet. They will only sell you a bag of ten max per visit. Some of them are real pricks are require you have this piece of paper about harm reduction in order to buy, but the fucked up thing is the only way to get that piece of paper is to have bought needles before and they throw it in the bag. Im REALLY picky about my pins, need a 31 g, 6mm length 1 cc barrell. But anyway theres only one pharmacy that carries it and if they ask me for that paper i have to run down to a diff pharm, ask for the info on safe shooting and run back to the pharm that carries my pins to get the bitch to dispense them to me. They only do that when they want to be asses

I look pretty straight now though, usually swing by the pharm after school so Im dressed nice. Usually if they know your an addict they wont look for the size pin you want, and they usually bring me the 8 1/2 mm 31g instead of the short, (this needle is the smallest one ive ever seen) and if they think im a junkie theyll lie and say its all they have, when in reality i know they have a box in the back because theyve never been out. So anyway now that i look straight i just say "oh im so sorry but my grandma has diabetes and she needs this type or gets mad, i would go to her reg pharmacy but its farther away." and then magically they look and have the pin in stock. Theres this one chick who always knows what pin i need and has it ready when she sees me walkin up i love her, been goin there a year and a half and try to go when shes working.

Dont care too much for exchange, their pins are too big. I do go there for tourneys tho.

My friend has shot water before.... and yesterday when we were drunk as all hell he took out a syringe and started sticking himself with it. He would even pull back the plunger sometimes. I was like dude wtf.... and had him put it away. It was a sad picture.

And 95 I'm in CT atm and my friend's have no problems getting needles....

^^^ lmao? what the hell is wrong with your friend?
Even when I'm desperately sick, I don't shoot water or poke myself.. and I have a huge addictive personality... wowzorz.

^^^ lmao? what the hell is wrong with your friend?
Even when I'm desperately sick, I don't shoot water or poke myself.. and I have a huge addictive personality... wowzorz.

I have no idea. He was just sticking himself right next to me.... and just fucking around. I didn't get it. He's been using since he was 17 I believe and is now 23... but he really is fucking up big time. Again, it was sad to watch. I wish I was making this up. *facepalm*

And 95 I'm in CT atm and my friend's have no problems getting needles....

Without getting specific, what part? I think you're from NYC area, right? Bridgeport, New Haven, Norwalk, etc are easy. Depends's.
Like I mentioned, I can hit up that one pharmacy around these parts and apparently there's a fixed address exchange in Hartford now.
I just know when I was there it was a nightmare. A legit nightmare for myself as well as a pretty large circle of junkies I knew.
I know of a couple towns that still have just the van and while I'd be less leery to hit it up now, I still find reasons not to. Not being actively addicted chief among them....

yep. This whole thread rings with me.

I'm just as addicted to the needle as I am my drug of choice. Everything related triggers me - spoons, cotton, q tips, big veins. A curse, really

I got a 10 pack of rigs on my dresser but nothing to shoot...yet anyway ;) I think it's because of that awesome rush you get when you bang something that you start to associate the needle itself and the processing of shooting up with that rush as well as the actual drug.