• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2010-11 NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is totally awesome for basketball, and will be amazing if Miami wins the East. First we face our traditional rival, the Knicks. Everyone would expect the Heat to best them.

I think you dismiss the Knicks too easily. It's feast and famine with that team. They can come back from any margin in any game. Last night they got edged by a scrappy little Pacers team, but even there they erased a late deficit of like 15 points.

You can't emerge from a Knicks series without casualties. The team is best avoided.

On a related matter, I don't think Mike D'Antoni is the best fit for the new-look Knicks. Unless they hire someone to run the defense (John Harbaugh is available until 2013)

I think you dismiss the Knicks too easily. It's feast and famine with that team. They can come back from any margin in any game. Last night they got edged by a scrappy little Pacers team, but even there they erased a late deficit of like 15 points.

You can't emerge from a Knicks series without casualties. The team is best avoided.

On a related matter, I don't think Mike D'Antoni is the best fit for the new-look Knicks. Unless they hire someone to run the defense (John Harbaugh is available until 2013)

The Knicks won't win a damn thing with D'Antoni as coach. Both Stoudemire and Carmelo are defensive liabilities, and somebody needs to teach them how to defend properly. D'Antoni is not the guy to do that.

As for Bosh, I always thought of him as a superstar player. His career was largely ignored because he played in fucking Canada. Nobody gives a shit about Canada.

But his numbers were largely on par with Garnetts numbers while he was in Minnesota, and while he hasn't turned out to be the force he was supposed to be with the Heat, he is coming along.

Wade and LeBron already had an affinity for toughness and defense. Bosh has to be taught a little bit more than those two guys. As the season has progressed, he has only gotten better and better, with the exception of the embarrassingly bad Chicago game.

Oh, and come playoff time we will see some Udonis Haslem back on the floor.

Melo can defend when he wants to (see 09 WCF). When he's motivated, he's great.

Melo can defend when he wants to (see 09 WCF). When he's motivated, he's great.

He definitely has the potential, but nobody teaches him to use it consistently. He should have moved to a team that preaches defense, every year a guy comes into the league who can score like Melo. The difference between being a great player on pretty good teams and an outstanding player who competes for championships is defensive effort, and Melo seems to think he can get by without it.

Your points about Melos D were good, but this statement is just insane. So far from the truth.

I wouldn't call it absurd. D-Rose has already surpassed him as a player. There was Durant. This year Blake Griffin looks like the guy who is going to edge him out by his sophomore season.

It does seem like literally every year we get a new guy who averages 23+ points a game. But Durant and Rose, who came into the league long after Melo, are already way better than him. The statement isn't as outrageous as it seems.

Your points about Melos D were good, but this statement is just insane. So far from the truth.

This. Melo is a very, very special scorer, so versatile. He got the three, the mid-range, he can post up, has bunch of spin moves, and he has a quicker first step than LeBron. I just hate his shot selection at times, he'd be a career 47-48% shooter if he'd improve on that.

As for Bosh, I always thought of him as a superstar player. His career was largely ignored because he played in fucking Canada. Nobody gives a shit about Canada.

But his numbers were largely on par with Garnetts numbers while he was in Minnesota, and while he hasn't turned out to be the force he was supposed to be with the Heat, he is coming along.

Garnett in Minnesota? This is just silly.

Garnett had 8 consecutive seasons were he averaged between 11.4-13.9rpg, 4-6apg, 21-24ppg and combined for about 3 steals and blocks.

Bosh? In his 8 seasons, he didn't break 9rpg in 5 of them and only broke 10 twice. He averages 1-2.5apg and usually under 2 combined blocks and steals. The ONLY stat that's comparable is ppg.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it absurd. D-Rose has already surpassed him as a player. There was Durant. This year Blake Griffin looks like the guy who is going to edge him out by his sophomore season.

It does seem like literally every year we get a new guy who averages 23+ points a game. But Durant and Rose, who came into the league long after Melo, are already way better than him. The statement isn't as outrageous as it seems.

your diverting from what you really said, which was every year a guy comes out of the draft who can score like melo. now i'll give you durant, and arguments can be made for rose as a player and others, but for sheer offensive scoring your trying to tell me rose and griffin can score like melo? lets not forget melo has averaged over 25 a game for 7 nba seasons. thats more than mr. miami himself dwade

a player like that comes out of the draft every year who this year, jon wall? or last year, tyreke evens? in fact there must be 12 in the last 12 years so where are they. and remember kobe doesnt count on that list because hes been in the league longer than that.

Last edited:
Garnett in Minnesota? This is just silly.

Garnett had 8 consecutive seasons were he averaged between 11.4-13.9rpg, 4-6apg, 21-24ppg and combined for about 3 steals and blocks.

Bosh? In his 8 seasons, he didn't break 9rpg in 5 of them and only broke 10 twice. He averages 1-2.5apg and usually under 2 combined blocks and steals. The ONLY stat that's comparable is ppg.

not to mension the defensive intensity that doenst show up on the boxscore

dihydroxyphen fukken rapes

The Knicks won't win a damn thing with D'Antoni as coach. Both Stoudemire and Carmelo are defensive liabilities, and somebody needs to teach them how to defend properly. D'Antoni is not the guy to do that.

I love D'Antoni but I must agree. In the game of basketball D is harder to "teach" than O, because offense is intrinsically reinforcing. Good D requires constant effort.

Oh, and come playoff time we will see some Udonis Haslem back on the floor.

Great point! Dampier, Howard and Magloire are KILLING them. None of them should be in the NBA. Anthony, for all his offensive warts, is a defensive monster. Anthony-Haslem-LBJ-Miller-Wade or Wade-Chalmers is a lineup few teams can match up against.

If you saw OKC-MIA, you know OCK is elite. Their defense is now superb, and they don't have a problem scoring the ball. Their rotation of bigs matches up vs anyone in the NBA, and with Ibaka and Harden showing massive year-to-year improvements, if Nate Robinson comes back they're my pick to come out of the West.*

*I am writing off the Spurs because I feel like Tim Duncan is dunzo. Who saw that block Wade had vs him? CLEAR LANE to the basket and Old Man Duncan takes forever and gets it shoved down his throat.

I don't think he's capable of playing more than 35 mpg in the playoffs, nor do I think he's capable of shutting down Bynum in the playoffs. I think the Spurs' real window of opportunity is next year, when presumably Tiago Splitter and Duncan combine into one.

CHI - Most complete team in the East with home court advantage
OKC - Most complete team in the West but without home court advantage
LAL - The team to beat in the West.
BOS - Write 'em off; that trade killed any hopes of them contending, save a Shaquille O'Neal miracle.
ORL - They best player in the NBA, and that + hot 3-point shooting means they are a threat to come out of the East. Unfortunately he has the worst side-kick (Ryan Anderson) of any other elite team. IMO this is most interesting team in the NBA.

If the team benches Gilbert Arenas, reduces Hedo Turkoglu's minutes and gives more PT to Quentin Richardson and Earl Clark I like their chances. (Interesting trade they could pull off next year: Bass + whatever for wing help, start Anderson at PF, Clark backup PF.)

MIA - A clear contender that can win it all if Haslem returns to health; otherwise they have too many (sub) replacement level players.
DAL - They play too small to be taken seriously; could be upset in the first round.

Darkhorses:

POR, MEM: They will give anyone they play a competitive series
DEN: Proof how overrated 'Melo is, but unfortuantely depth doesn't matter as much in the postseason.
NYK: Playoff format will help cover up their lack of depth; I could see them beating Boston.

Postscript: The underreported story of the OKC-MIA tilt Wednesday evening was the head coach battle of Scott Brooks v Erik Spoelstra. Two of the very best in the NBA! Two of the yongest, as well. I love the new generation of coaches we seem to have, ones that don't need to yell to get their point across.

Similarly, one of the primary reasons I think the Lakers may not come out of the West is that Phil Jackson is not great at drawing up plays. Scott Brooks is quite a contrast in how he aggressively uses timeouts to bail his team out with immaculate play design. I also think Jackson deserves a lot of blame for Kobe Bryant's ball-hogging ways.

Last edited:
Every year there's another guy on list of 23-24ppg+ scorers but *very* few ever sustain that like Melo and a couple others. Carmelo is certainly one of the most gifted scorers in the league and players like Griffin and Rose just aren't there. They just have different games. Melo won't get 12 rebounds a game or 8 assists. I don't know why people try to compare different players this way so much.

Durant and Melo have similar games so that's understandable but you lose so much when you try to compare single facets of the game (and all too often that's scoring).

1300337083099.jpg

Every year there's another guy on list of 23-24ppg+ scorers but *very* few ever sustain that like Melo and a couple others. Carmelo is certainly one of the most gifted scorers in the league and players like Griffin and Rose just aren't there. They just have different games. Melo won't get 12 rebounds a game or 8 assists. I don't know why people try to compare different players this way so much.

Durant and Melo have similar games so that's understandable but you lose so much when you try to compare single facets of the game (and all too often that's scoring).

I'm saying that every year somebody emerges who scores as much or more as Melo, not that somebody has every aspect of his game.

And is it not fair to say that Melo's scoring numbers partially the result of his lack of commitment to defense? I would imagine those numbers would go way down if he ever played in a defensive oriented system such as the ones developed by Doc Rivers or Erik Spoelstra.

serious I would appreciate if you not quote kams posts as mine. It makes me feel like a douchebag

joking aside, kam your darkhorses are spot on besides that shotty comment you made about melo of course.

portland has got to have the biggest chances of pulling a major upset, that team has got great depth and NEVER quits.

Last edited:
lol my bad bro, I don't even know how that happened.

still loling @ Kam tho.

Celts blown out. Come on, they violated the Cardinal Rule of the NBA: Don't trade big for small. Jeff Green is a replacement-level player.

Knicks lose to Detroit on the road after blowing out the Hawks...

I think the Knicks' problem is a lack of focus. I say this without watching their (or anyone's actually; I'm not watching a game til POR @ OKC on the 27th) games closely, however.

I think they need to trade Billups in the summer. I think trading Felton for Billups was TERRIBLE OMG HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE?! The best lineup is obviously Douglas @ PG because he can shoot and provides D. Landry Fields is too good to play less than 30-33 mpg. Billups is now a sieve on D and isn't clutch at all. The Nuggets, and their new GM, really raped the shit out of NYK in those negotiations. George Karl is also proving that yes, he is a great coach, and yes, Melo really is a primadonna. (He's married to LALA VASQUEZ! COME ON!)

Also, don't look now but the Pacers are seriously set up to be the league's next OKC-type dynasty. Check it out:

Li'l Dun, Ford, Foster, Tinsley off the books this summer

PG - Collison: best suited as a 25 mpg backup)
SG - Paul George: David Thorpe LOVES him, and as a result so do I. Haven't seen 'em play though)
SF - Danny Granger: An Andre Iguodala clone in terms of being miscast as your best player, but an absolute swell No. 2 / No. 2B
PF - Hansbrough: THIS GUY IS GETTING OFF! OH MY GOD!
C - Hibbert: Monster

They could wait a year, get Chris Paul/D-Will, and be instant title contenders!

Larry Bird deserves a ton of credit here! They're gonna be able to choose a great coach, too. Rick Adelman?

Speaking of the Rockets, I was disappointed they didn't trade Scola @ the deadline! Patrick Patterson is the real deal!

If they can somehow ship off Scola this summer, they're in like flynn. But the back end of that contract is turrible.

You know what I'd like to see? Yao Ming + Greg Oden in HOU! That'd be baller! Play both 20 min a game, Brad Miller 8 mins. Patterson, Martin (tilts me that this guy gets no pub but farces like 'Melo and Kobe can shit out attention), Budinger, Lowry? Mark my words: The Rockets are not far from being serious contenders.

I know, I should get a friggin blog, but I'm not sure I'd have the time for it because I'm OCD as hell.

Last edited:
^^^can anyone say knee jerk reaction?

pacers are a team battling for an 8th seed in a top heavy conference. throw them into the west and they would be right around or below the clippers or timberwolves level. it would take A LOT more than dwill or chris paul (both of which they wont get) to put them into title contension

im very impressed with what they have done with the talent they have, and Hansbrough is a real diamond in the rough as far as potential, but c'mon they beat the bulls with boozer out and virtually everyone else on the team having a poor shooting night and they barely won, sound the alarms.

as far as the knicks I really dont think their GM "raped" them at all. wernt they a game under 500 before the trade? on top of that, if I recal correctly didnt the miami thing take off to a slow start as well, even with training camp and preseason under their belts. amare/melo is a great combo it just will take time to develop

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.