• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

2-methyl-2-butanol (2M2B) "Vodka"

I noticed again that the day after i dont feel the stim i take, i took desoxy and the effects were severely blunted. Same happened with amp last time (also stims dont work when your on this stuff).

I think the halogens bonded to unsaturated carbons makes them less reactive, not more. Like think of the laboratory conditions needed to make PVC out of vinyl chloride. Or going in the other direction: to turn vinyl chloride to acetilide you need a very very powerful base and this does not happen in the body. As far as the alkyne goes: isn't it more stable when bonded to a halogen than when bonded to hydrogen?

Just curious.

A quick search with the right keywords at Google brought up an article from the Journal of Organometallic Chemistry 1988, 348, C12-C14. Let me only cite the very first line of that paper:
1-Halogenalkynes are reknowned for their high reactivity and in particular for their tendency to explode.
High reactivity = unhealthy.
I admit I'm not an expert in this respect ('strange halogenated substitutes for booze'), but simply counted one and one together:
- Alkenes are already quite reactive, alkynes are even more reactive.
- Halogen-compounds are usually reactive, too. Chloride is not the best leaving group in the world, bromide is already quite respectable in this respect.
That's what I called my "gutfeeling".

- Murphy

the one you just cited

1-Halogenalkynes are reknowned for their high reactivity and in particular for their tendency to explode.

because it seems that that statement and the info from seep's most recent article are contradictory.

Try "Journal of Organometallic Chemistry" at Google and you'll find the full paper. It's written in german though.

- Murphy

The x-ray on page C13 is beautiful. I even looked up the name of it. Something like chloro-ethynylchloro trans-bistriphenylphosphine platinum.

Edit: lol @ the 1955 Pfizer paper:

An attempt to [distill] the preparation of methyl vinyl chloroethynyl carbinol failed,
however, when a curious series of mild, repeating explosions began after about one-half
hour and continued for several hours.

Last edited:
lol

just plain alkynes are known for problems with liver enzymes, though I'm not sure they've ever been shown to actually be dangerous. I'm thinking of deprenyl and the alkynated estrogen whose name I can't recall.

Also, I remember a study being linked to saying that 2M2B is excreted as the gluconidrate. Liver damage is still possible, tho.

Think any particular hepatoprotectants (like SAMe) might be of value?

Anybody happen to know if the positional isomer neopentanol is active? 2,2-dimethylpropan-1-ol by IUPAC nomenclature.

These alcohols have my interest, but what about tertiary diol esters? I rather enjoy meprobamate and its pro-drug carisporadol. Pinacol so far seems safe although im worried about the metabolization of it into pinacolone. The LD50 is 3380 mg kg for a mouse.

hmm... pinacol seems interesting. similar to 1,4-butanediol, I guess. I'd bet it's worthwhile.

hmm... pinacol seems interesting. similar to 1,4-butanediol, I guess. I'd bet it's worthwhile.

But 1,4-bdo:s effects come mainly from it's metabolization to GHB, right?

And similar metabolization shouldn't occur on pinacol since both alcohols are tertiary? Or am I missing something here...

^Naaah, Dread, c'm on! In the case of 1,4-butanediol its a simple oxidation of one hydroxy-function to GHB. So far so logic.
But pinacol got a C6-skeleton! How do you get down to a C4-body a lá GHB?

The metabolism of glycols like pinacol was actually studied once. Look here:

P. K. Gessner, D. V. Parke and R. T. Williams
"Studies in detoxication. 80. The metabolism of glycols"
Biochem J 1960, 74(1), p.1
Abstract
The fate of oral doses of 22 glycols has been investigated in the rabbit. Glycols of the general formula, CH2OH(CH2)nCH2OH, where n = 0-6, do not form appreciable amts. of conjugated glucuronic acid. Ethane-1,2-diol is mainly oxidized to CO2. Butane-1,4-diol, pentane-1,5-diol and hexane-1,6-diol yield small amts. of the corresponding dicarboxylic acids in the urine (succinic, glutaric, adipic acids, resp.), but appear to be mainly destroyed in vivo. 3-Methylpentane-1,5-diol yields large amts. of 3-methylglutaric acid in the urine. Glycols of the general formula, CH2OHCRR'CH2OH, form appreciable amts. of conjugated glucuronic acid. These appear to be glucuronides of the unchanged diols, for the monoglucuronide of 2-methyl-2-propylpropane-1,3-diol was isolated. These glycols do not form dicarboxylic acid in vivo, but monocarboxylic acids. 3-Hydroxy-2,2-dimethylpropionic acid was isolated as a metabolite of 2,2-dimethylpropane-1,3-diol. 2-Methyl- and 2-ethylpentane-1,3-diol, butane-1,3-diol, 2,3-dimethylbutane-2,3-diol and 2-methylpentane-1,4- and -2,4-diol are highly conjugated with glucuronic acid. In addn. to the above glycols the following were also studied: propane-1,3-diol, 2-ethylpropane-1,3-diol, butane-1,3-diol, 2-ethylhexane-1,3-diol, heptane-1,3-diol, 2-ethylheptane-1,3-diol, propane-1,2-diol, butane-1,2-diol, but no metablites of these compds. were isolated. The monoglucuronide of butane-2,3-diol was isolated.

Taken from that article:
Butane-1:4-diol: From the urine of four rabbits given a total of 9 g of this diol there was isolated 0-81 g (7% of dose) of succinic acid, m.p. and mixed m.p. 189°C, after recrystallization from water. After treatment with thionyl chloride, followed by aniline, the acid yielded succinanilide, m.p. and mixed m.p. 228°C. No unchanged diol was found in the urine.
The oxidation to succinic goes most likely stepwise, so yes, there should be GHB at some point. I'm still not convinced that it's solely this metabolite that causes butane-1,4-diol's action. The compound has most certainly intrinsic activity, too.

Unsuccessful attempts were made to isolate crystalline glucuronides or other metabolites with [...] 2:3-dimethylbutane-2:3-diol (pinacol). Most of these diols contain one or two asymmetric carbon atoms and therefore more than one glucuronide could be formed; this would tend to make the isolation of crystalline glucuronides difficult.
Well, in the case of pinacol there ain't any stereocenters. This statement refers to the other glycols studied. If pinacol undergoes the same fate like other alcohols, we should see of course glucuronides, too. Oxidation is out of question (...tertiary alcohol).

Further insight is provided by Food and Cosmetics Toxicology 1976, 14(Suppl. 1), p.841:

Therefore, this misgiving...
DMTime_warp said:
Pinacol so far seems safe although im worried about the metabolization of it into pinacolone. The LD50 is 3380 mg kg for a mouse.
...is not justified.

Peace! - Murphy

Last edited:
that makes it even more interesting.

And I feel fairly certain that 1,4-BD has fairly little to do with metabolism to GHB. Some is probably produced, sure, but not nearly so fast as to account for the rapid onset.

I see that at least one vendor has 2-methyl-3-butyn-2-ol

sounds better than this.

5ml trip report

I got a 10 ml free sample of this stuff during the week and tested it last night at 11pm with a friend. It came as a blue liquid (I think they just added colourants, its supposed to be a colourless liquid right?) in an impressive glass vial(with an ominous X for harmful on it lol). Anyway we each took 5ml, it tasted and smelt quite foul and chemically, like a combination between ethanol and nail polish.

It hit us almost straight away. It was a very strange buzz, with the warmth of ethanol but the relaxtion of a benzodiazepine. I didn't get any real "euphoria" but then I don't consider CNS depressants truly euphoric like some people do but I suppose I did feel "contented"? I didn't feel any immediate need to sleep on a 5ml dose either but I knew I could. My friend experienced the disgusting chemical burps described by others which I also know from experience (elemi oil ughhh) but I didnt get them at all, however I drank it on a full stomach. I felt moderately "drunk" almost like I would on 3 or 4 pints (that is slightly buzzed but no loss of motor control or compulsive smoking etc) but both of us were disapointed with the results of the 5ml dose, 10ml would of been better IMO. We went to bed around 12:30 and both slept extremely well, I got up at 10am with no signs of intoxication or a hangover and my brain seems to be in tip top condition with no "brain fog" (considering Im writing this during a break from studying physical chemistry :( ). I will definately be trying it again but at a higher dose. I won't hazard any guesses on whether its harmful or addictive as Im not qualified.

Last edited:
You definitely shouldn't just take 10ml if 5ml was active. Doubling your dose for a relatively unknown, unstudied compound is not a good idea once you've reached activity. When you start off taking .01mg, .02mg, .05mg, .1mg, .2mg, .4mg, .8mg, etc, that makes sense, because you're just trying to find the starting point of activity. After you've reached activity, though, especially enjoyable activity, not bare threshold activity, you need to tread a lot lighter. Some compounds have a steep dose-response curve, where, for example, 5mg is inactive, 6mg is active, 8mg is strongly active, 10mg is dangerous.

Be careful with your life, you don't get re-do's.

You definitely shouldn't just take 10ml if 5ml was active. Doubling your dose for a relatively unknown, unstudied compound is not a good idea once you've reached activity. When you start off taking .01mg, .02mg, .05mg, .1mg, .2mg, .4mg, .8mg, etc, that makes sense, because you're just trying to find the starting point of activity. After you've reached activity, though, especially enjoyable activity, not bare threshold activity, you need to tread a lot lighter. Some compounds have a steep dose-response curve, where, for example, 5mg is inactive, 6mg is active, 8mg is strongly active, 10mg is dangerous.

Be careful with your life, you don't get re-do's.

This stuff used to be used in professional setting as a sedative, I'm sure it doesn't have a dangerous dose curve or anything.

All the dude has to do in this case is know that he will be twice as intoxicated.