• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

2-methyl-2-butanol (2M2B) "Vodka"

Hmm... I can't really say that I do. My asian flush reaction is quite strong, and so I'm unable to consume large amounts of ethanol without vomiting my guts up and feeling feverish. However, since 2M2B does not produce the offending chemical (acetaldehyde) in its breakdown, as far as I understand, it cannot accumulate to high levels in my body. So, theoretically, if I consume I will be able to feel tipsy/drunk without a flush reaction, right?

Aṣṭātriṁśa;11871644 said:
Hmm... I can't really say that I do. My asian flush reaction is quite strong, and so I'm unable to consume large amounts of ethanol without vomiting my guts up and feeling feverish. However, since 2M2B does not produce the offending chemical (acetaldehyde) in its breakdown, as far as I understand, it cannot accumulate to high levels in my body. So, theoretically, if I consume I will be able to feel tipsy/drunk without a flush reaction, right?

correct. providing it creates no aldehydes?

That's correct, tertiary alcohols cannot be metabolised to aldehydes.

wikipedia said:
In rats, 2M2B is primarily metabolized via glucuronidation, well as by oxidation to 2,3-dihydroxy-2-methylbutane. It is likely that the same path is followed in humans,[13] though older sources suggest it is excreted unchanged.[3]

I've been interested in trying this stuff as a replacement for alcohol. A chemical (not RC) vendor selling it in bulk advertises it as 97% purity, any idea what might be in that extra 3% (in terms of synth by-products or additives)?

Water? Amylene (2-methyl-2-butene?) Acetone? tert-butanol? Isopropanol? Methanol? Camphor? Hard to tell.

Probably water or amylene though.

I wonder how this does rectally at 5ml?

A little burning at the anus but I don't think there was any damage. I would use this ROA except my colon rebelled with cramps like I had diarrhea. I finally gave in and tried to crap but nothing came out. I would rather just shake with 30 parts water, drink and get it over with.

2m2b has good water solubility
Let me correct you there sir !
TAA doesn't mix well with water at all, take a clear glass, poor 4grams (5ml) of tert-amyl-alcohol (2m2b) in there...add water,. shake.. ...wait about 2 minutes and check : 2 Layers.

bottoms up, and stinky burps (for the next 2 days.)

your ex.

So would an emulgator fix those stinky burps? Cause that was quite nasty...

"Emulsion", you mean. No it wouldn't - the stinky burps are in fact the 2-methyl-2-butanol volatilizing out of your body....

Surely an emulsifier would increase miscibility with the aqueous phase in the stomach and therefore reduce volatilisation?

Haven't found a suitable emulsifier yet....except for soap.
This makes for a funny effect : you can burp very foulsmelling bubbles...

Not in an environment like the stomach.

Spoilers: emulsifiers don't increase solubility, they encourage micelle formation. And dissolving stinky stuff in water doesn't make it non-stinky, unfortunately! You can't fight the vapor pressure.

Couldn't you dissolve it in propylene glycol? I know ballstoyousir! Did this with n-butanol.

"I mixed 1 shot glass of Prop. Glycol and 10.2ml of n-butanol (as measured with a graduated cylinder [25ml]). Miscible, unlike water or milk."

That thread is here:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-480167.html

I don't necessarily know that this would prevent volitalization from the body, but it should be soluble. It would help in getting the stuff into you at the very least.

Sorry these links aren't set up better, I'm doing this from my phone.

Last edited: