• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

2-methyl-2-butanol (2M2B) "Vodka"

I also responded to it quite badly. For whatever reason, I had no desire to even write up a report on my experience. 2.5ml was consumed after taking 10mg of MPH approx. 5 hours earlier. It produced 13+ hours of disinhibition and sedation - camphoraceous belching throughout. I drank it with a friend and her middle aged mother who ended up leaving the apartment to get coffee at 7:00 in the morning wearing a bra on her face like a pair of goggles. Both my friend and I experienced stomach discomfort, and she had not taken MPH previously. At 2.5ml it felt like 10mg of diazepam with all of the added side effects one experiences when drinking EtOH.

I'm sure one might feel reasonable euphoria after drinking 2.5ml of xylene as well, and although 2M2B is without question a euphoriant drug, the first adjective I would use to describe it is poisonous.

So it seems from the reports that 2M2B does NOT mix well at all with stims... that's a shame I was looking forward to mixing some with dexmethylphenidate...

^ It is very likely that I had some MPH in my system when I took it since what I took was concerta. I really wouldn't recommend the combo. If t-Amylphenidate was the culprit, then its main effect seems to be severe anxiety that cannot be stopped with a moderate dose of benzos.

And btw, about burpopion: I forgot to mention that I've never had a problem drinking (ethanol) on bupropion. Yes, it made it more likely that I become a disnihibited asshole if I drank enough (never happens sans bupropion), but otherwise all normal.

Damn, if I wanted to feel like shit the next day I could just stop by the liquor store. Well, you guys saved me from wasting a little money.

So it seems from the reports that 2M2B does NOT mix well at all with stims... that's a shame I was looking forward to mixing some with dexmethylphenidate...

Rather cancels out it usefulness to me as I almost exclusively use downers to take the edge of my stimulant piggery. Oh well the search continues for a GBL replacement.

Not all aliphatic alcohol derivatives are bad with stimulants though, 1-ethynylcyclohexanol produced an obscene amount of euphoria combined with amphetamine; shame I ran out of it

Whaat? 2m2b is not chiral.

Yes it is - it has a carbon atom with a ethyl, methyl, hydrogen and hydroxy group attached - the prerequisite for a chiral centre (4 different groups) - oh wait I was thinking about 2-butanol. Silly me

See I asked about this but when FnB started talking about football fields...

When have I ever started gibbering about off topic things? I sir am shocked by this allegation =D =D

As for other alcohols, has no-onr else tried 1,1,1-trichoro-2-methyl-2-propanol (chlorbutol)? They used to sell it in pet shops in the UK, but when non-dog owners started buying several packs at a time they cottoned on and stopped marketing it. It's a very nice, if mild depressant with minimal stomach irritation compared with chloral

Last edited:
Next day woke up still feeling loopy, my dex doesnt seem to be working as good as usual, probably not gonna take it again.

Was on dex yesterday too, there wasnt much euphoria just lost my balance and kept running in walls or waving with my head from one side to another behind my computer, not worth it.

Need my GBL again :(!

^ Ethanol is just fine when used properly.
For most people. Even a couple drinks have me next to useless the next day. No idea why, I tolerate pretty stupid doses of almost everything else very well. Lights a joint and doesn't worry about it;)

Are there any other alcohols besides ethanol and this with recreational effect?

below copied from my post in the thread "least toxic, most effective, most concealeable alcohol"

Below is a list of 17 alcohols with an indicator of their toxicities, their LD50 oral, rat. 1 of these alcohols was taken from http://www.jpet.aspetjournals.org/co...2/230.abstract, some others from http://www.toxsci.oxfordjournals.org...t/49/1/133.pdf and the remainder, ones already in suggested in this thread and other similar alcohols on this board. Better of all would be some sort of index of intoxication, which is not only hard information to come by, but also a bit of a vague parameter. I’ll talk about this at the end. As a comparator, ethanol is around 7g/kg but some studies indicate around 10g/kg, methanol is listed as 5.6g/kg (I always thought methanol was 5 times as toxic as ethanol, go figure!)

1) 1-propanol 8g/kg
2) isopropanol 4.4g/kg
3) 1-butanol 4.3g/kg
4) 1-pentanol 2.2g/kg
5) 1-hexanol 0.72g/kg [another study says 3.1-4.9g/kg]
6) 1-heptanol 3.25g/kg
7) 1-octanol 3.2g/kg

2-methyl 2-butanol 1g/kg
9) 3-methyl 3-pentanol 0.71g/kg
10)2-methyl 2-propanol 3.5g/kg (tert-butanol)

11)2-methyl 2-propen-1-ol no oral data
12)2-methyl 3-buten-2-ol 1.8g/kg
13)3-methyl 2-buten-1-ol 0.81g/kg
14)2-methylbut-3-yn-2-ol 1.95g/kg (3-methyl butynol)
15)3-methyl 1-pentyn-3-ol 0.3g/kg

16)1-ethynyl cyclohexanol 0.585g/kg
17)2-phenyl 2-butanol 1.4g/kg

Now the only data I can find regarding intoxication volume-for-volume parameters is roughly this:

1-propanol ~2-4 times
isopropanol ~2.5 times
1-butanol ~9 times
2-methyl 2-butanol ~17 times
1-ethynyl cyclohexanol ~50 times (based on bluelight reports)

which results in an intoxication-toxic (compared to ethanol 10g/kg) index of

2.4 for 1-propanol
1.1 for isopropanol
3.8 for 1-butanol
1.7 for 2-methyl 2-butanol
2.9 for 1-ethynyl cyclohexanol

making so far, 1-butanol, 1-propanol and 1-ethynyl cyclohexanol clearly more preferable than ethanol to consume. Whether or not the LD50 oral, rat is the best parameter against which to judge toxicity is a major question here. For instance, the ratio indicates that isopropanol is about equal to ethanol. Somehow that’s not convincing enough for me to make a regular switch. There needs to be some sort of consideration of long term non-fatal consumptive effects for this.

Access to intoxicative indicators [or membrane/buffer partition quotients] would be more available had I access to many journal articles. Please contact me with any information you can source and I will update the intoxicative parameters and intoxication-toxic ratios. Can anyone confirm the preferability of 1-propanol? It seems that 1-propanol is metabolized to propaldehyde -> proprionic acid, which looks like pretty nasty stuff to me. If you have a look at the second link I posted above, there’s quite a few measurements of liver activity and so forth linked to a lot of these alcohols that give you more of a picture as to what’s going on. Someone mentioned 1-pentanol as significantly stronger than 1-butanol, for instance, but check out the liver-enzyme stats for pentanol vs. butanol. I know which I'd prefer - pentanol seems to have strange effects on liver O2 consumption, something else quite different is going on here.

15)3-methyl 1-pentyn-3-ol 0.3g/kg

I think there is an experience report for this somewhere.

1-ethynyl cyclohexanol ~50 times (based on bluelight reports)

I'm surprised nobody has taken a plunge into the cold and exciting world of acetylene chemistry and cooked these up. The precursors aren't exotic (MEK and cyclohexanone, resp.)

And while at it, cook up batches of ethchlorvynol, methchlorvynol, propchlorvynol and ethbromvynol.

Anyone know anything about other halogenated alcohols besides those with chloro substitutions?

I know 3-iodo-2-propynyl butyl carbamate is widely available, but the simple alcohol might be interesting. For some reason the carbamate of this doesn't seem worthwhile.

It'd be cool if someone has full access to this doc: HYPNOTICS AND ANTICONVULSANTS. II. HALOGENATED TERTIARY ACETYLENIC CARBINOLS. Pfizer, 1955, authors were the formulators of Placidyl (ethchlorvynol) and published a series of studies on this class--studies that never got much traction because Placidyl was a commercial success.

In the 1953 patent for Placidyl the authors wrote, "The presence of a halogen atom (X) on the terminal vinyl carbon atom appears to confer unusual hypnotic activity on these compounds." But then you see Example IV in the patent the Halogenation is at 2 sites:

650i0i.jpg

and I'd never seen this pattern before, and the paper at the top of this post discusses the SAR of that pattern in detail with H, I, Br, and Cl on the alkyne.

btw, the compound in the drawing above has an MP of 41-42 celsius (solid at the temperature of boiling water) and the authors did not care to exclude it from the claim that "the compounds of this invention . . . are readily adapted for therapeutic use. Marked hypnosis was observed in animals to which they had been administered. Furthermore, the compounds were found to protect such animals effectively against convulsive seizures . . . The toxicity of the compounds was found to be quite low when they were administered to mice in amounts sufficient to achieve the desired results, and no harmful pharmacological effects were observed as a result of such administration . . . may be incorporated with various inert pharmaceutical carriers such as solid diluents, oils, etc, or with other biologically active materials, in the form of capsules, elixirs, injectable solutions and the like . . . Materials for oral administration may be sweetened and flavored with various materials of the type normally employed for that purpose . . . "

(which not only speaks one of chemical stability and palatability but also evokes one of my fondest childhood memory involving a jello shot literally laced with jellie-bellies (Placidyl)

That carbamate you mentioned, Hammy, might be an anticholinesterase, I seem to recall seeing it listed on the side of the stuff I used to paint the shed at the house while it was being built.

Wood preservative, was designed to kill boring critters (hmm hows about hiring a crop duster to spray the houses of parliament down....get em' all while they are busy sleeping=D) that fancied a quick bite of back garden shed.

@Seep: Yep, the article is available, but I won't post it here (nor a link), because it contains huge parts dealing with the synthesis of this stuff. If you're interested anyway PM me.

Apart from that, it looks awfully unhealthy to me, I just can't help! It's just a gut-feeling, but an alkyne, an alkene and 2 halogens in such a small molecule all cry for irreversible action somewhere in your body. I'd rather sip some HF.

- Murphy

I'd rather sip some HF.

Let me know how that works out for you... :D

anywho, ethchlorvynol itself has a chlorine on an alkene, and I understand it was quite popular when it was marketed... one would think that if these types of compounds would have issues with carcinogenity or other toxicity, it would have been found out by now?

I think the halogens bonded to unsaturated carbons makes them less reactive, not more. Like think of the laboratory conditions needed to make PVC out of vinyl chloride. Or going in the other direction: to turn vinyl chloride to acetilide you need a very very powerful base and this does not happen in the body. As far as the alkyne goes: isn't it more stable when bonded to a halogen than when bonded to hydrogen?

Just curious.