• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

⫸STICKY⫷ 😃 LAVA Chit-Chat Thread! 🤪

Exactly, it just astounds me that people think such a minority rule the world lol. It doesnt keep me up at night as I know I am more openminded and therefore smart than they will ever be. If you dont mind me asking what religion if any did you grow up with?

I was raised by two atheists. We didn't celebrate Christmas or any holidays even. Science and such were pushed on my sister and I very hard from a young age. My parents wanted to raise "prized children" in a sense. I consider myself an agnostic at surface value, though in depth I have a slight notion of being theistic. Oddly enough, my sister (now 23) is a recent convert to Christianity. Family doesn't like it much. Strange, how it's usually the reverse...

That's interesting, and certainly good for your brain as you were fought to solve the problem with proof not faith.

I was raised by two atheists. We didn't celebrate Christmas or any holidays even. Science and such were pushed on my sister and I very hard from a young age. My parents wanted to raise "prized children" in a sense. I consider myself an agnostic at surface value, though in depth I have a slight notion of being theistic. Oddly enough, my sister (now 23) is a recent convert to Christianity. Family doesn't like it much. Strange, how it's usually the reverse...

A few comments on this post:

1. I've never understood how mathematicians could be religious. But obviously, it happens (eg Gauss).

2. Lol at the reverse comment :)

3. So, you're telling me, despite her brilliance, your sister believes that God:
a. exists.
b. impregnated a virgin earthling
c. sacrificed the offspring so we may be cleared of our sins, provided that we:
i. believe statements a-c
ii. perform a few other rituals

??

^ here is a paper my sister wrote recently. She cranks these things out like once a month just FOR FUN. She knows her shit - much smarter than me. She's destroyed me in any standardized tests we've taken together.

^That's some very impressive prose. Very clear. (yeah, I notice that kind of thing, being the dork I am). I'll definitely read it.

^ My sister's doing her PhD in math. And she's not ugly. Really, if she got you drunk enough, she'd probably be able to convert you :)

^Lol, a preacher told my parents, when I was very young (like 10), that there was something seriously wrong with me, in that I was born with absolutely no faith, or whatever. I gather, he almost went so far to imply that I had no soul...DEMON CHILD :D

It's funny that your sister actually proposed and refuted a "Jesus twin" theory. Clearly, something only a mathematician would think of. That's sorta a good way to recognize a natural mathematician; there's almost like, a "purity of thought" inhibited only by the bounds of logic.

Ya. The woman's smart. Then again, she's cursed with schizophrenia and OCD to an extreme degree, and revels Ted Kaczynski as a hero. Very interesting person, indeed.

^haha, but what mathematician doesn't have a mental disorder?

I've been trying to figure out mine, but so far, I seem to be "somewhat" normal. If anything, maybe mild autism or asperger's, but I seriously doubt it. Perhaps my "sanity" is what condemed my mathematical career...

Morning BA, how's it going today? I have the day off today so Ill just be chilling thank God, really need a day to just unwind lol :).

Asperger's is an overrated diagnosis, IMO. I tested positive for it, but really does it have any medical meaning?

Mine's OCD, for sure. If I don't have my 150mg dose of fluvoxamine each morning, I go batty.

Mine's OCD, for sure. If I don't have my 150mg dose of fluvoxamine each morning, I go batty.

Lol, then I guess I have OCD too, because if I don't get my mornin' dose of opies, I start shitting, shaking, & sweating...compulsively!

Tonight I have to install another fucking furnace. Damn this economy, I'm only supposed to bid.

BTW RL, how are you "ghost posting"?

TMD's avatar and mine both indicate "online", yet yours does not.

^ Dude, you just have an opiate addiction ;)

Did you know how many steps were on every single staircase within your college of choice? God damn, I probably had 70 numbers memorized. But I'd still count them each time to be sure.

I like my little thing to be completely B, W and Gray. Online undermines this effect...