• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

⫸STICKY⫷ 😃 LAVA Chit-Chat Thread! 🤪

What's your beef with dioramas? The thread title is dedicated to Chaos Butterfly. <3

Its cool then if its dedicated, especially to CB (seriously really cool person imo). I will still post here ;).

You've got a black thing under your username. So you're kind of half-way there. In a way...

^ How the painters doing?

OK, so there are 2^17 - 1 possible initial "starting colors" for the houses. Each acceptable coloring arrangement can be represented by a binary number. Each painter, when painting according to the rules, is essentially a function from one acceptable binary number to another. More precisely, each painter can be thought of as a permutation of the set of the 2^17 - 1 acceptable binary numbers.

My hunch is that these 17 "painter permutations" are elements of a group that is isomorphic to the integers mod 2^17 - 1 under addition. And more speciffically, each painter permutation corresponds to 2^17 - 1 - i, where i = 1, 2, 4...2^16. And hence, the composition of all painter permutations corresponds to (2^17 - 1 - 1) + (2^17 - 1 - 2) + ... + (2^17 - 1 - 2^16) = 16 * (2^17 -1) = 0 mod 2^17 -1.

And hence, the composition of all painter permutations is the identity function. So, after each has painted, the house colorings return to their initial state.

And the reason for my hunch is that I tabulated it for n = 2 and n = 3 (so, by golly, it should hold for n = 17).

Am I on the right track???

^Ya. I just picked 17 because its your favorite number. I learned this problem for n=12. It works across all n. So yes, using groups isomorphic to the integers mod 2^17-1 is the correct way to think. You're pretty close dude. Pretty close indeed.

Not too bad. Wish I could be a bit more productive, but otherwise smooth sailing. You?

Im great, just got out of class (was there all day) so I'm unwinding ;). I love how coming here raises my spirits everytime, I love BL :).

Had a spanish class, Creative writing/Poetry, and Religion in America. Im a great prose writer so this poetry class is great, learning how to write with a different kind of emotion. I like the religion one too, its quite interesting.

I took a similar religion course as per diversification requirements and it wasn't the best. Bad teacher. Great reading, but the lectures just fell flat. One of those teachers who wants to run the class via a communal discussion, but lacks the personality to do such.

I just saw the title lol :), was that RRs gift for me? I love religion classes, being a minority religion/ethnicity drives me to learn more about others.

^ what's your religion/ethnicity? If you don't mind it being public....

Ya, that was her gift.

I'm Jewish and as alot of people hate Jews I like to get a better perspective as to why. And thanks RR, this is the best thread title Ive ever seen on BL (as Ive never been in one) ;).

Very liberal, alachua county is the only county that's blue everytime during the presidential election.

Hmm. Being Jewish at a school which does not have a huge tuition cost is isolating. Is it the spoiled child stereotype you battle?

Do you wear your religion on your sleeve? Nothing wrong with it if you do, but that's a quick way to get negative attention. How do people find out you are Jewish?

It's not direct antisemitism I experiance the most though I have. I meant on a whole. People find out in like class as my last name is very Jewish, so sometimes I get looks nit alot though. Here it's not as bad but even on BL which most would consider liberal I have seen many people express this view as I know you have.

It's popular for anti-establishment, anti-captialism, anti-younameit people to extend toward antisemitism simply because it's what others are doing. Just try and shake it off; those are not people worth your time. In a way, it's like foreigners being anti-Americans. If you don't consider each person at face-value, then in the end you're just limiting yourself. Sans any higher up political movement - everyone at our level is just a person.