• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction ⫸Should I Try HEROIN?⫷

To answer the question of this post, the simple answer: NO.

I've been addicted on and off to oxy for years and that is hard enough to deal with. Heroin is not one of those drugs that can add anything positive to your life in the long run. Simply not worth it. Life offers so much more and once opiates are introduced, life will forever be tainted with a battle not easily won, a battle that can take away the joy of life in the blink of an eye.

Ironically and on a side note, I have tried heroin (snorted, never IV), and honestly found oxy to be much more enjoyabe - more energetic and much more euphoric. Maybe IVing is a totally different game though - one I don't care to ever find out.

At some point over the past few months I noticed you disappeared and was curious how you were doing. Sorry to hear, hope you can recover. I actually fell-out on my leg before to the point that when I woke up my whole left leg was paralyzed. It was one of the worst pains I have ever experienced. Luckily after about 30 mins I could walk again but couldn't feel my toes for over two weeks.

take care
very similar is/was my leg toes and all. thank u for kind words.

Yeah I know many people who have had big problems from nodding off or OD'ing and being in bad twisted positions for hours and hours. Permeant feeling loss in arms and legs, one of my buddies had to get his foot amputated, just crazy shit.

Almost everything you've said, most people who become addicted, said to themselves t
oo at one point. I don't even need to tell you how much I had going in my life and how "good" of a kid I was before becoming an opiate/heroin addict.

You are NOT terminally unique. This is a mistake of so many addicts. They think they're different than everyone else and their problem (or lack thereof) makes them different from everyone else. The fact is, you obviously had a reason to go back and use heroin the second time. And the third time. And if you didnt think about using it again, you wouldn't have posted this to begin with.

It begins to consume your thoughts and your affinity will ONLY grow greater with each use. After I did it once or twice I wondered "how do people get addicted to this shit? I don't really crave to do it today even though I just used it yesterday intravenously."

Within 2 months I was dependent and using daily IV, and within 3 months, I was at the methadone clinic feverishly filling out paperwork to somehow get ahold of my life in the middle of my college semester. Being a heroin "chipper" is incredibly rare. I'm not saying you ARENT capable, what I'm saying is DONT try it. Don't fuck with the chance that it could go wrong. Most people do have their priorities straight and everything fine before becoming addicted. That's when you lose all that shit. Usually people aren't on skid row having lost everything BEFORE they start using heroin. I'd say most people who do become addicted after slow use are normal people and have a job, house, family, car, etc.

Just don't risk it. But with opioid users, if you want it, nothing anyone says is going to stop you. It sounds as if you've already convinced yourself. That's where I started.
?↑↑
Exactly what I was thinking. I've seen people with "chips" for YEARS & something in their life fucked up happens, or even not and BOOM full blown addict in weeks after having a "chip" for 3 years. It's the classic rationalization/denial /justification thing us addicts do to "protect" our addiction.

I already know what everyone probably going to say to this, but I'm going to put it out there and please no one flame me. :/

I've been taking various opiates/opiods for the past two years. I played with them in my youth to get high and have fun. After experimenting with coke, weed, pills, dxm, alcohol, basically anything I could get my hands on, I somehow cleaned up my shit when I left my hometown to move to Colorado. Problem with Colorado? HUGE meth scene. Everyone talked about meth where I live (around Alabama) and how it was this epidemic. I was scared, but eventually tried it because my curiosity and boredom with life is my constant downfall. Long story short, got very strung out, went to jail and got clean, then left to get away from temptation.

When I came home, I stuck to smoking weed because I always have and probably always will. It balances me out, I'm a very anxious keyed up person. Anyways, I had chances to mess around, played with coke but got out before it got bad. Flash forward to falling at work and a bad leg injury. I now live with chronic everyday pain. My doctor perscribes 7.5 mg hydros, they hardly touch the pain. He does not know I did opiates regularly in the past. I was not addicted, but played with them probably at least weekly, enough for my body to get used to them. I started borrowing from my mom (not stealing, although I have done that, too :( ) and buying pills on the street. First more hydro, then oxycodone w/ apap. Pure oxy made me sick until I figured how to break the OP's, then I did those, too. Then I found a steady supply of oxymorphone, tried it once, and MAN, did I fall hard. It made me functional and I had no pain, I felt like I had my life back! But it was too expensive and my supply became irregular. I somehow got off of that, after horrid withdrawals. I vowed to stay away from anything else that whatever cause withdrawal that bad again, buuut...

I found a new supplier of oxy w/apap (seems to not make me as dependent/sick as pure oxy) had a few other things. I experimented and recently crossed a line I said I never would, I picked up the needle, and with time-release pills at that, something I very much know better than to do. This person recently came across fent patches, which I have been smoking. I don't ever want to pick up a needle again, but I know now I can't trust myself not to cross that line, even with pills, which I know are not safe to inject. I've started considering snorting heroin, my boyfriend knows where to get it and I feel like it can't be so much worse than oxymorphone (which I became addicted to quickly) or fentanyl (which everyone seems to tout as horribly addictive, I can see how it could be, but it isn't presenting a problem to me.)

I understand addiction and how easily it can happen. I'm an addict, I need opiates of some sort daily. At first it was for pain control, now I have a tolerance and dependence. It only takes a small amount to hold me, but my body can take large amounts. For example, I took 40 mg hydro the other day, a negligible amount when talking large habits, and was out of withdrawal and took the edge off my pain. But I also can go through an entire fent patch in a day and have no relief. I enjoy opiates, won't lie, but this is mainly about wanting my pain to STOP. I cannot handle pain, I have a shit pain tolerance and always have, I cry over splinters and shit (but stuck a needle in my own arm...that's addiction and pain for ya). I want to try heroin because it seems like the end-all, be-all in pain relief. Everything else hardly works anymore or I'm redosing all day long. Is there ANY value in my trying heroin?

Is there ANY value in my trying heroin?

Have you read through this thread? Because people have made posts, wanting to try H and justifying it for your same reason, and it was responded to in detail.

Short answer.. no there is no value in it. Using heroin for pain is a horrible idea and a poor justification. First of all, it's a street drug so purities always vary, which makes it pretty difficult to find a proper dose.. as one batch can be super strong, and the next can be crap. Second of all, all it's going to do, is raise your tolerance to a massive level, and you'll end up having to spend a shit load of money just to get enough to hold you over. Your large tolerance will also make it so now normal prescription opiates, don't do shit, so you'll totally screw yourself.

It's very short half life will make it so you have to redose multiple times a day too to treat your pain. You'll be adding brutal physical dependency to a street drug, that is often dangerous to purchase with no way of knowing it's quality, raise your tolerance to a huge level, spend a shit load of money, etc etc. The list of cons to this idea is endless.. the pro's are basically non existant.

It'll be one of the biggest regrets of your life.

Have you read through this thread? Because people have made posts, wanting to try H and justifying it for your same reason, and it was responded to in detail.

Short answer.. no there is no value in it. Using heroin for pain is a horrible idea and a poor justification. First of all, it's a street drug so purities always vary, which makes it pretty difficult to find a proper dose.. as one batch can be super strong, and the next can be crap. Second of all, all it's going to do, is raise your tolerance to a massive level, and you'll end up having to spend a shit load of money just to get enough to hold you over. Your large tolerance will also make it so now normal prescription opiates, don't do shit, so you'll totally screw yourself.

It's very short half life will make it so you have to redose multiple times a day too to treat your pain. You'll be adding brutal physical dependency to a street drug, that is often dangerous to purchase with no way of knowing it's quality, raise your tolerance to a huge level, spend a shit load of money, etc etc. The list of cons to this idea is endless.. the pro's are basically non existant.

It'll be one of the biggest regrets of your life.

I read through a lot of the thread, I'm sorry, it's a 15-page thread. I just thought I would explain my personal story and ask, that's what the thread is here for, right? I very much respect your opinion, but I did ask for no flaming and said I already knew what the answer would probably be, so why ask if I even read the thread? I didn't sit down and study the entire thing, but I went through as much as I could recently and have viewed it several times before ever even registering... Statements like that have always made me a little anxious about posting, honestly. I understand you've been here forever and are probably frustrated at hearing the same sort of questions over and over, but every story is different and I thought this was the place to ask if you felt you still needed to ask.

Oxymorphone was...well, I can't put prices, but it was NOT cheap and I was using constantly through the day, as in every hour. I understand the short half-life of heroin, I REALLY DO. I understand it won't ever be keeping me out of pain all day, please understand that I'm saying NOTHING does that now. My reasoning is that aren't these strong prescription medications with short half-lives much the same? Fentanyl, oxymorphone in particular. Short half-life, tons of addictive potential, easily abusable. The difference between oxymorphone in particular and heroin seem almost nonexistent, perhaps only because of my ignorance of heroin. I can admit that. I also admit that I just wrote above that I had problems with oxymorph, but it kept me out of pain. The main issue with my use became the massive amount of money I was spending and the fact that withdrawal was happening literally after 2 or 3 hrs. And that there became an unsteady supply. I wasn't willing to keep using and suffering coming off of it if it wasn't always available, so I put it down. Not that easily, but I managed.

I have no insurance and no way to legally afford the time-release medications I believe might honestly help me, even if my doctor was willing to prescribe them, which I'm fairly certain he wouldn't be since he thought 1/2 of a 5 mg hydrocodone was enough to treat a level 6-8 (depending on day/what I'm doing) pain. I can't afford pain management and I doubt my doctor would refer me, he is LITERALLY the only doctor in my town willing to see me because my pain is from a fall at work, it is really a workers comp issue. I have tried, I have honestly called every doctor in town and not a single one here will see you without insurance or a direct referral from an existing doctor. Please, you can take it as justification if you like, I'm putting serious thought into this. But I am SCARED at the thought that my pain was so bad I was willing to shoot up MScontin, I feel like that's really kind of "worse", as far as my personal guidelines for drug use go. I can't picture it going any further downhill than putting extended release medications in my veins and before we go into whoring yourself out, selling all your belongings, etc I will just say that you might be surprised (or probably wouldn't be) at the lengths simple poverty can drive a person to. Meth wasn't a cakewalk either.

My tolerance to anything goes up in days, luckily it seems to drop not quite that fast, but relatively quickly. That has been my issue with the pills, that and they are horribly expensive compared to H and never in a constant supply. I'm already plugging to avoid as much apap as possible, but I can tell I'm still absorbing a lot of it as I get the traditional feeling I used to get taking them orally from too much apap. It is not the oxy, the apap makes me throw up and I'm worried about how much I'm taking in and the state of my liver. I can't ask my doctor about it. I feel like I'm quickly running out of options on what works at all. As for physical addiction, I already need to take a small dose of methadone if I have no opiates, I am already physically addicted to opiates. I can't stay with my boyfriend when I'm out of medication because I wake up kicking the living hell out of him, whole body shaking and seizing, and the sheets soaked in sweat. I'm already there.

Please don't put me down, I'm HURT, I just want my pain to stop. Maybe it seems like a stupid-ass question to everyone here, but I was always taught there's no shame in asking, especially when every person is different. :( I just feel like I want my old life back, even my old addicted life, if it means I actually do something, ANYthing besides lie in bed and feel sorry for myself all day. I already have hardly any friends, I can't go out or do much of anything and I'm always bailing on plans because I hurt too much that day. I can't give solid answers on when i'll be somewhere and if I do I show up late a lot of the time. My family already thinks I'm an addict, which I guess I am between getting dopesick and needing the medication to function. I'm at the end of my rope.

Last edited:
As this thread has shown the simple answer is NO. Although I have a slight addition to that. I had a pretty bad pill addiction before and my connection was selling me oxys far below street price. After he vanished I realized what they actually costs and it was breaking me. I started doing H instead and was actually more stable than when I was doing pills. Good powder H is also better to IV IF YOU ARE ALREADY IVing PILLS. I am not advocating IV use it is not smart or safe. Basically unless you already have a wicked opiate habit heroin is not for you. I tried it before, now I am trying to cut down on the number of times I try it... per day.

Sorry for the double post, I am posting from my phone, it is extremely hard to edit in an understandable way. But to give an idea of where I am right now, I took 52.5 mg of hydro when I woke up to stop the WD. My pain is still there, so I am going to take another 15 mg and see where I stand. I will probably need a couple of hits of fent after that to kill it all. I will need to redose in about 3-4 hrs.

If I want a buzz from anything, I obviously need more, and not just a couple mg more, I would say at least another 30-40 mg hydro. I can't say on the fent since it's impossible to tell from smoking, but I know it's something because I know when I've gone too long without the fent. I'm not dependent on that yet, however. I realize all of this will seem like a negligible amount to a user with a large habit, but I just started taking the fent and I'm trying VERY hard to watch my tolerance with it. The hydro is just enough for the pain, I have no buzz, and sadly my love of getting high and my need to mitigate my pain are constantly at war with each other. It is the worst thing to be a legitimate pain patient and also simply love opiates for their recreational value. If there was a place I should have never touched them, I feel like it was in high school before I ever needed them, but it is too late to change that now. :(

Last edited:
Heroin is not the answer. You know that.. what I think you want, is for someone to respond and reassure you, to tell you it's okay, and that it's a good idea..

If you have true pain issues, the solution is to seek permeant solutions to that, with various different prescription combination opiates with a PM doc, non-opiate therapies, physical therapies, natural therapies, surgey, whatever. Signing up for a lifetime of heroin addiction is not "getting your life back". It's destroying it. Right now you think that things couldn't get any worse.. you're wrong. They can always get worse, and will, if you decide to do this. There are many many people out there with horrible chronic pain.. and they don't resort to becoming a heroin addict..

Have you checked out our Pain Management Megathread?

I wrote a really long reply and somehow my keyboard stopped working in the middle of it on my phone and my laptophas died. long story short, I have tried all sorts of non opiate treatments and therapies. I have used and still use some of these: pregabalin, gabapentin, various topical creams, muscle relaxers, heat in many different forms, lidoderm patches, various herbal supplements and tinctures Fromm the store and of my own making. I have also used my skill at baking and learned how to make high potency cannabis edibles. I stretch and do Yoga everyday, this is something my boyfriend and I enjoy doing together even when I stay at his house. I also meditate and as a Pagan, perform various spells and rituals for healing. All of these things help but do not take away much from the pain.

My doctor will not refer me to pain management. He seems to think I do not need those kind of drugs, although he keeps giving them to me everytime I come to his office. he tells me to stretch and exercise, which I do. he says there is no surgery they can do until they find the source of the pain and I have had an MRI and cat scan and they can find nothing wrong with me besides a few desiccated bones in my spine, which they do not seem to think is the cause of the problem.

I do not really have anywhere else to go for a second opinion. The local free clinic and health department will not see me because this is a workers comp issue. I was told at my job when I tried to pursue that route that if I continued I would lose my job. There is no HR department or anything, just the two owners who are the same people who told me they would fire me. the job market in my town is awful even if you have a clean record and a college degree, & I have neither of those. I'm sorry about my punctuation btw, im not used to touch screens at all.

I am looking into disability as an option, but it does not look good because this is a town with a lot of wounded soldiers and a large elderly population already. I am young and able to work in my eyes of the law, & I think if I was on the right medications I be able to work fine. I don't want to take money from people who need it more than me... The problem is I cannot afford those medications even if I could get my doctor to prescribe them, they are hundreds of dollars with no insurance and I cannot afford health insurance either. If I did manage to start the disability process with a lawyer who was willing to take back pay, I would probably have to stop working in the meantime and again, I would not be able to pay my bills without a job. I would be homeless.

I am really not sure where else to go for relief from here. It seems like I'm just waiting the rest of my life until I can manage to find a job that allows me enough money to afford health insurance or give me benefits that come with it so I can find out what is wrong with me and whether it is something that can be fixed with surgery or therapy. yes, I suppose I am looking for a little bit of reassurance that I might be better off on that path rather than on the path I am I now, which is taking whatever pills I can come across on the street and knowing that I am willing to shoot them into my veins if I feel a strong enough need to. I don't have any other doctors to see, my job says they'll fire me if I pursue my legal rights, the only reason I have the doctor I have now is because he eats regularly at the restaurant I work and fell at. The the boss neglected to tell him that I fell in his restaurant before he asked him to see me, though, strangely enough. I'm feeling pretty stuck on alternatives...

I do realize that there are people with what seems like way way problems than me just having a bad back and leg. My mom has the worst pain imaginable in the most sensitive place a woman can have problems and she barely takes the little bit of pain medication her doctor gives her. I know if I had to live with this world of pain she had, I would probably do myself in, she has the strongest will of person I know and she has told me that she has considered it before because of the pain. So everyone has a differeny t level of pain that they can tolerate.

Last edited:
^^

Sorry to hear about your situation. Like I said, check out our Pain Management thread. There are a lot of people on BL in that thread who are going through the same thing who can help you out.

Great drug for pain. Wrote for it just yesterday for somebody in acute sickle crisis. Can result in terrible pain in the bones, especially the distal femur/epicondyle. For recreation, go right ahead if you want to fuck your life up.

Awesome post.. my best friend has had a heroin problem for about 2 years now unfortunately. She was finally sober until about a week ago after a friend committed suicide. I tried it once with her and don't really understand the huge deal, it kind of felt like Xanax and I spent all night vomiting. Lol

I shot heroin for the first time when I was 18 and didn't lift the needle again until I was 30. If I could take it back, either time, I wouldn't. I have suffered quite a bit as a result of addiction, but my passion for the heroin far outweighs any sense of resentment toward it. I have lived, loved, lost, etc. with a bag in my pocket, and long after I take my last dose ever, I think I'll still be singing the drug's praises... sick, ain't it?

It's like an ex-girlfriend who's great in bed...no matter what she did to you in the end, you still always miss the great sex.

Awesome post.. my best friend has had a heroin problem for about 2 years now unfortunately. She was finally sober until about a week ago after a friend committed suicide. I tried it once with her and don't really understand the huge deal, it kind of felt like Xanax and I spent all night vomiting. Lol

Haha. Yeah that tends to happen the first time. But that's good, it's not worth it, just remember how bad it sucked and be done with it.

It's not something you should force yourself to start liking. Hah.

most "H noobs" were opiate users in the first place. iv morphine is a very similar effect to iv H. a rush[which is sometimes very unpleasant], and maybe some "high". that is as long as you dont just nod out, or overdose.

...my best friend has had a heroin problem for about 2 years now unfortunately. She was finally sober until about a week ago after a friend committed suicide. I tried it once with her and don't really understand the huge deal, it kind of felt like Xanax and I spent all night vomiting. Lol
glad u r ok.... sorry about yur friends loss. my first part of my long post was intended loosely in response to your exp when trying. and to de-glorify heroin. wether from a noob's perspective, or an opiate/opioid addict/chipper/occasional user considering street dope... and the needle is just too easy to fall into.... i fought it for years, only snorting... then one day that changed, and couldnt be reversed. so IV is always a part of H in that sense... especially with rock/powder/ecp dope. alot of powder is now different too imo, than say even as close as 5-10 years ago. around great lakes especially. chicago/detroit are flooded with non-ecp powder right now. or at least imo. that "shorty" who got busted was sending powder H to chicago. the news claims he was 80% of market in chicago.

my recent overdose was quite the opposite of "fun". i had no idea how horribly strong this new batch was... i didnt even think it looked or seemed different from usual.

i hit cleanly, and only remember grabbing the back of my head from the intense rush. which just happens to be what an old buddy did in my car once... thankfully i was quick thinking and saved his life, but he did that same grabbing of the head before going blue in the lips. long story short he was lucky. very.

in my case i awoke in a stupor... hours after hitting the floor. thankfully i had properly removed the rig. the belt i used for my tie was still clutched in my hand, but had been loosened/removed. my girl probably should have called an ambulance, but she may have went to jail, almost for sure. i had bled all over from gashing my eye brow when i fell... breathed in potting soil [indoor gardening mess]and barfed all over myself... not to mention my leg/ankle/foot all messed up from falling on it and kinking it up severly. my girl had to keep waking me up/bringing me back, as i was hardly breathing and my sinuses/passages were impacted with blood dirt and vomit...

fast forward 3 weeks + my right foot/toes feel like i have gout, RA, or shingles, very randomly too... but thankfully other than that im slowly getting better.

sure screwed my life up tho, probably will lose my g/f... who helped me get thru an ex's death from cancer. and all because i was mad over some silly-ness and went out and found some dope. sure wish i could go back and stop myself now. of course. did it to myself tho...

plz dont mess with dope... its like playing around with fire or plutonium. eventually u can get burned beyond help

Last edited:
most "H noobs" were opiate users in the first place. iv morphine is a very similar effect to iv H. a rush[which is sometimes very unpleasant], and maybe some "high". that is as long as you dont just nod out, or overdose.

glad u r ok.... sorry about yur friends loss. my first part of my long post was intended loosely in response to your exp when trying. and to de-glorify heroin. wether from a noob's perspective, or an opiate/opioid addict/chipper/occasional user considering street dope... and the needle is just too easy to fall into.... i fought it for years, only snorting... then one day that changed, and couldnt be reversed. so IV is always a part of H in that sense... especially with rock/powder/ecp dope. alot of powder is now different too imo, than say even as close as 5-10 years ago. around great lakes especially. chicago/detroit are flooded with non-ecp powder right now. or at least imo. that "shorty" who got busted was sending powder H to chicago. the news claims he was 80% of market in chicago.

my recent overdose was quite the opposite of "fun". i had no idea how horribly strong this new batch was... i didnt even think it looked or seemed different from usual.

i hit cleanly, and only remember grabbing the back of my head from the intense rush. which just happens to be what an old buddy did in my car once... thankfully i was quick thinking and saved his life, but he did that same grabbing of the head before going blue in the lips. long story short he was lucky. very.

in my case i awoke in a stupor... hours after hitting the floor. thankfully i had properly removed the rig. the belt i used for my tie was still clutched in my hand, but had been loosened/removed. my girl probably should have called an ambulance, but she may have went to jail, almost for sure. i had bled all over from gashing my eye brow when i fell... breathed in potting soil [indoor gardening mess]and barfed all over myself... not to mention my leg/ankle/foot all messed up from falling on it and kinking it up severly. my girl had to keep waking me up/bringing me back, as i was hardly breathing and my sinuses/passages were impacted with blood dirt and vomit...

fast forward 3 weeks + my right foot/toes feel like i have gout, RA, or shingles, very randomly too... but thankfully other than that im slowly getting better.

sure screwed my life up tho, probably will lose my g/f... who helped me get thru an ex's death from cancer. and all because i was mad over some silly-ness and went out and found some dope. sure wish i could go back and stop myself now. of course. did it to myself tho...

plz dont mess with dope... its like playing around with fire or plutonium. eventually u can get burned beyond help

Ever try methadone? It really helps some of us.