• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What is wrong with the MDMA available today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to sound like I'm ragging on the older people in the thread, but yes something else changed, your body over the course of 10 years (and nearly 20 years since you had the super magic experiences). I imagine the set and settings of your experiences have also changed during those time periods. I do not think it is a coincidence that many in this thread started rolling ~20 years ago, and that they also seem to get the least positive effects from mehDMA (if any) while having the lowest success rates for finding anything they consider magic.

Chatted to my younger cousin today who has recently tried mdma (a few times). Classic meh description.

With regards to me getting older:
Alcohol: still the same effect as the first time
LSD: still the same effect as the first time
MDMA: pants

And with regard to set and setting (you doubters seem to assume that we're all watching horror movies while taking it nowadays?): if I drink plenty of alcohol I slur my words, lose some inhibitions and fall over a lot - because that's what alcohol does. If I take a nice amount of lsd things start to visual change - because that's what lsd does. If I take MDMA - it doesn't give me intense euphoria even though we (used to?) call it ecstacy.

I'm glad for you that you're happy with your supply. Many of us aren't. Yes its weird that the testing services aren't spotting anything but people a lot more experienced in the chemistry world than me have pointed out the shortcomings of such services. There have been good theories as to why there might be a problem - including a research paper that identified two impurities that inhibit mdma action.

At the end of the day, those of us who claim to have experienced magic and meh (some still luckily coming across magic) are not going to be convinced by your 'it's all in your head' arguments because it is such a night and day comparison. Ultimately we need someone with high competency in chemistry analysis to compare magic and meh, or at least to analyse meh and identify someone that would cause a problem, to get to the bottom of this. Hey, if a really top notch team did that and there was no difference - I might even think the problem was in my head lol

Chatted to my younger cousin today who has recently tried mdma (a few times). Classic meh description.
Which meh description, a few new ones ones have emerged in recent pages. Did it:
  • Immediately make them feel worse than before they took the MDMA?
  • Give many of the classic MDMA effects but just be very be short in duration?
  • Make them feel relaxed, sleepy and not want to talk to anyone? (without any euphoria)
including a research paper that identified two impurities that inhibit mdma action.
Can you clarify what you mean by this? If you are talking about the South Korean paper and the the discussion about M-ALPHA and MBDB that followed, I think the idea of "inhibiting" activity is just a misreading, as I posted at the time:

From my reading of that interview he is talking about the lack of any hallucinogenic activity directly caused by MBDB, not attributing to it any properties to act as an anti-psychotic and terminate any other hallucinogenic activity.

Q: Would the effects of MBDB class it as an Hallucinogen?

A; No, absolutely not, and even less so than MDMA. MBDB has an ethyl group
attached to the side chain (see below). When you do this to an
hallucinogenic phenethylamine derivative, it completely abolishes its
hallucinogenic activity.

Edit: Found the paper, it seems to be this: https://sci-hub.tw/10.1124/jpet.105.084426

Last edited:
There is no doubt in my mind there is a difference. (You nailed it HerpDerpMcDerp; and welcome to Bluelight.)

I’ve been taking MDMA pills and MDMA powder/crystal for 21 years now and after almost giving up, two months ago I had my night rocked by a 120mg dose of the most luscious, munty (of the more cheeky/naughty kind), and long lasting (with God forbid actual afterglow), MDMA crystal in many years. I was on night two as well, having used meth all day prior. Had I been younger, on night #1 and just generally less trashed, this stuff would have been the magic that I remembered from years ago, magic that I have barely encountered in Australia for more than ten years.

After earlier championing the SvsR isomer issue, I am now positive the answer to this entire issue is contained in the article indigoaura posted many pages ago, where very small quantities of two structurally similar dimers created as impurities during MDMA manufacture, could cause significant inhibition of the MDMA effects at comparatively very low amounts by binding to the neurotransmitter reuptake transporters, much like how for prescription SSRIs and SNRIs nullify the effects of MDMA into something resembling “Meh” in those people taking these drugs. (Didn’t one of the dimers show ridiculously strong affinity to ALL THREE of the significant transporters, the noradrenaline, the dopamine AND the serotonin?! A higher presence of such a chemical in a substance purporting to be “pure MDMA” is going to completely fuck up the roll and will need a much greater dose to get anywhere close to something resembling a roll.)

Whilst I would like to put together a much more thought out, well researched and diagrammatically useful post, as I have been false starting on this endeavour for months now, I thought it better to put something out there for discussion without any further delay.

It is clear that PMK glycidate could favour the creation of these dimers, especially if the PMK is not properly purified. I mean what is created when the glycidate molecule is hydrolysed, acetic acid or acetate perhaps, the very reactant which they list in one of the initial steps that gives rise to these dimers.

The other matter of significance is that of what the limiting reagent is in the reductive animation step of PMK and methylamine Into MDMA. This reaction always ideally proceeds with a significant excess of methylamine to PMK, for if there is no excess, the formation of these dimers or molecules like them is much more likely to occur.

In the old days, as it was safrole/isosafrole and the PMK produced from these that was in the shortest supply, there would never have been any question about having an excess of methylamine to this highly sought after and almost impossible to obtain precursor. However, we know now that PMK glycidates are widely available in massive quantities and so PMK is no longer going to be the limiting reagent in the reductive amination. Instead, not only might manufacturers fail to properly purify the PMK or otherwise proceed via one-pot synth straight to MDMA with potentially highly reactive hydrolysis products from the glycidate (with certain PMK glycidates being worse than others for creating such dimers, this being a further reading for different levels of “meh”), but they may be skimping on the methylamine in the reaction as well, such that there is now an undue excess of PMK made from glycidate relative to the methylamine, a factor which would strongly favour the creation of these inhibiting dimers to a much greater degree. Throw in the fact that platinum catalyst hydrogenation is now almost always used to reduce the imine as opposed to borohydride, and it’s anyone’s guess as to what mess we actually end up with.

The above hypothesis would account for why there are varying degrees of Meh (being the extent to which the MDMA does or does not have the presence of such impurities, a fact which the right laboratory could actually
test for), why safrole produced MDMA doesn’t create this problem to the same degree, and why the change to the almost infinitely available glycidate pre-precursor may have skewed the reaction in the wrong direction on account of commercial considerations (despite the news now of stupidly high dosages of this crappy
MDMA).

As an aside, for a long time high purity racemic methamphetamine produced from p2p has received similarly poor user reports along the lines mehMDMA despite being >90% purity - “mehMeth” if you will. And where is this P2P coming from but BMK glycidates, the PMK glycidate equivalents. Precisely the same reaction considerations to what I have described above for MDMA would apply for methamphetamine produced via this route and where the more readily available precursor might also be present in relative excess to the methylamine needed
for the reductive amination. If similar dimers
were produced (and I’ll find an article I have saved confirming this very thing), then these too would likely inhibit the action of the meth in similar ways.

Sorry that this post is so garbled but the earlier discussion about this and articles i refer to are buried somewhere a hundred pages or so ago. As this thought has otherwise been bubbling uselessly away in my mind for more than six months now, best I just get it down and hope that the more cleverer chemists and those more familiar with the invaluable content in these almost 300 pages, could give it further consideration.

Last edited:
I totally agree with your hypothesis, Biscuit. It's like Cup of Noodles, it used to be really good until the synth was changed and they took out the MSG. Now it's still Cup of Noodles, branded the same, same packaging, but without the ingredient that gives it a bang that older customers experienced and liked...MSG.

If a person has only tasted the latest formulation, they'll have no point of reference for what it used to taste like, so the new taste is normal for them. Kind of weird how around 2009, (around the time of the PMK Glycidate recipe), raves/music fests weren't as fun. The e sucked and I never felt good no matter how much I took, except for the Pokeballs. Also, I'd look around at what was happening, no cuddle puddles, not the loving vibe connection with everyone, people not making out, just monged out people stuck on their phones walking around like zombies and some people dancing but a way lower ratio than with the good e. I don't think that every "party" was like that, but I never felt the love since before the safrole trees were burned down.

I just wonder if it is the new synth, what are first time users really experiencing and who the hell is cooking the magic stuff, because it's got to be out there even if not that much. If magic is out there, who's cooking it for the love? I'm guessing since e went mainstream that bigger cartels got into it just for the money, just like how underground warehouse parties morphed into EDC and the huge festivals and the latters just aren't as good as the originals, at least to me.

Maybe I'm being nostalgic but I believe that the pills have been bunk and that if I was turned on to the right connect, I'd be feeling very good. When I got the Supremes, I was going to do them with my wife, we've never rolled together before. Since I had been reading that a lot of the pills were not as good as they used to be, I figured that I'd eat a half to make sure it was okay and then roll with my wife, who isn't into drugs at all. It would've taken some talking to get her to try it with me but I'm glad I didn't, because she would've just been tweaked out on bad e, not meth, and then she would've never rolled with me again.

I don't think I'm burned out, especially abstaining from drugs for 10 years and that the last time I had the Pokeballs, they were really good every time I had them. I'd think I'm burned out if the Pokeballs stopped providing a great experience before I stopped taking them, but they worked up to the last time I took them.

So I read through the inhibiting impurities paper, was it ever discussed in detail in this thread? Anyway, in it the two impurities found to have an inhibiting effect on releasing by MDMA were specific impurities created during the Leukart method. They did not seem to be especially potent compared to MDMA, byproduct 12 (the one they give the most information for) has little effect on SERT and NET activity caused by MDMA when present at ~33% of the MDMA concentration, and needed to be present in equal quantity to MDMA to reduce the SERT and NET releasing by more than 20%. DAT was different, with the 33% byproduct concentration having a ~25% reduction in MDMA induced release. This makes sense considering MDMA has a considerably higher affinity for SERT and NET than DAT.

So I read through the inhibiting impurities paper, was it ever discussed in detail in this thread?

Yes. That is one of the primary pieces of published research that has been shared and discussed repeatedly. We were talking awhile back about the differences in SERT, NET, DAT activity and considering how the meh effects line up with each. My mind is drawing a blank right now on his name, but there was a poster who was recommending some tests we could run and he was hypothesizing that checking glucose could give an insight into some of that activity and whether or not it was impacted or not. I will try to find the post for you. I have a glucometer on standby to measure his hypothesis.

It is not that I think that the paper is showing the exact two impurities that are the issue. (I recognize that the paper is specifically highlighting the Leukart impurities.) I do think, however, that the paper shows 1) different synth routes produce different impurities, and 2) some impurities have the ability to block transporter/re-uptake activity. There are many articles that have been shared that highlight the wide array of impurities that can be produced depending on the precursors and synthesis route. I don't think it is unreasonable to conclude that some of those impurities may have a similar effect on transporters/reuptake.

Edited to add: @user666 explains the need for a glucometer here: https://www.bluelight.org/xf/thread...the-mdma-available-today.791073/post-14826836

Last edited:
That article is just the tip of the iceberg, there’s many other psychoactive impurities. Also testing a substance alone tells us little when testing the same substance in combination with a known psychoactive substance..

Shulgin found a couple potentiating drugs and it’s not unreasonable to think an impurity with a similar molecular structure may be inactive alone but active when alongside a known active.

ISO-LSD is said to be inactive yet alters LSD experiences if enough is present. Chemists go out of their way to purify out this supposedly inactive impurity and it’s not because they’re all perfectionists.

-GC

My mind is drawing a blank right now on his name, but there was a poster who was recommending some tests we could run and he was hypothesizing that checking glucose could give an insight into some of that activity and whether or not it was impacted or not. I will try to find the post for you. I have a glucometer on standby to measure his hypothesis.
That would be me.

It is important to test the glucose level in a long fasting state. You can drink only pure water or salted water with citric acid. No sweetened drinks!
Increasing glucose level in a fasting state is pretty unusual. It is a function of Norepinephrine and MDMA, though (pupil dilation, too)

I wish more people would measure their serum glucose level multiple times after taking MDMA, because that would yield an OBJETIVE evidence of the difference between the MehMDMA and Magic MDMA.

Note: There are some rare mutants out there, who react to norepinephrine differently...but they are a very very small minority.

Last edited:
@Negi Here is a research study that shows that inhibiting "individual monoamine transporters" eliminates the "fear memory extinction" that is so important in PTSD therapy.

Acute inhibition of dopamine (DA) and norepinephrine (NE) transporters had no effect. 5-HT release alone did not enhance extinction. Blockade of MDMA's effect by 5-HTT inhibition also downregulated 5-HT2A-mediated behavior, and 5-HT2A antagonism disrupted MDMA's effect on extinction.

Link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28741031/

Maybe I misread the amount of those dimer impurities needed to potentially impact the effects of the MDMA. The main point of my post is that:

(1) I believe the glycidate would favour the production of these dimers over PMK produced from safrole

AND

(2) It is a fact that an excess of PMK to methylamine in the final step will strongly favour the production of dimers (something which greedy manufacturers with a now endless source of PMK might be more prone to do in an attempt to conserve the now (in relative terms) much more difficult to obtain methyamine)

I have no doubt that properly purified PMK made from PMK glycidate (which removes all the other hydrolysis products resulting from the splitting open of the glycidate ring from the PMK produced) that is reductively animated in an EXCESS of methylamine using sodium cyanoborohydride as the reducing agent will produce magic MDMA. It is not that there is anything special about MDMA made originally from safrole, it is that the safrole methods do not create these other problematic molecules as perhaps using these new pre-precursors does. Anyway that is the theory.

The emergence of mehMDMA coincided precisely with the emergence of the PMK glycidates as pre-precursors and decline in the use of safrole to make PMK, and the switch to catalytic metallic hydrogenation over borohydrides as the reducing agent. That is a fact and it has to be, it has to be, the cause of the problem.

The question is why and from a chemistry point of view at least, one can readily see why this new method might create certain impurities that inhibit the magical experience of MDMA giving rise to “Meh”. The mehMDMA isn’t missing something that the magical MDMA has, but rather it has something else in it that prevents it from becoming so.

Last edited:
The emergence of mehMDMA coincided precisely with the emergence of the PMK glycidates as pre-precursors and decline in the use of safrole to make PMK, and the switch to catalytic metallic hydrogenation over borohydrides as the reducing agent. That is a fact and it has to be, it has to be, the cause of the problem.
The timeline doesn't match with the experiences of some users here, who had mehDMA experiences years before 2009. That's why the thread spent pages certain that there must have been a positive byproduct in Leukart produced MDMA that gave it additional energy and love.

^ But that’s my point Negi. These sorts of impurities are potentially produced whenever MDMA is made from PMK and it is not limited to the Leuckhart reaction. It is the quantity of these impurities that is important and from time to time certain batches might have more than others and be more of a meh experience regardless of the synthesis route employed.

The point of my post is that if it is these dimer impurities are the culprits, then circumstances likely exist in the modern day glycidate syntheses which would produce a far greater and potentially more wide ranging series of dimers, than the earlier routes ever did, resulting in a proliferation of mehDMA experiences. So rather than being inconsistent with what you say, it is entirely consistent.

Speaking more generally, of course there are going to be sub par MDMA experiences from time to time from batch to batch. But very large dosed ecstasy pills giving a Meh experience were not encountered before 2009 and now these are the norm.

The mehDMA is now endemic across the worlds ecstasy supply and is a marked shift from the profile of the drug in the early 2000s for example, when looked at in a holistic sense.

The Leuckhart produced MDMA before that is a different issue completely and it’s accepted that something else is going on there, possibly due to the presence of something that actually enhances the experience as opposed to inhibiting it.

But the MDMA produced in the late 90s through the 2000s (the MDMA produced via PMK from safrole or piperonyl and sodium borohydride/cyanoborohydride as the reducing agent) up until the point of the DEAs incineration of the safrole rich plant species in Cambodia (which preceded the explosion of piperazines and the complete and total MDMA drought) was, generally speaking, anything but Meh. And importantly those amazing pills were dosed in the 80 to 120mg range and when you managed to find one that was MDMA only (a much more difficult exercise back then than it is now), 90% of the time the experience was wonderful. Of course there were the occasional duds, perhaps as a result of a particularly poor synthesis in that particular batch.

However, the difference which I suspect is operating now, is that unless special care is taken and manufacturers don’t engage in further cost cutting measures (like limiting the methylamine or nitromethane during the reductive amination step), the PMK glycidate route will result in a consistently poor synthesis of MDMA from batch to batch.

Last edited:
In New Orleans, Louisiana if you go for Mardi Gras or whatever, there are always these guys that stand in the middle of Bourbon street. They come from some religious organization, and they hold up their “God Hates Fags” and “You’re going to hell” signs and cause traffic problems and try to ruin everyone’s good time. I never understand why they are there either, as they clearly don’t want to enjoy New Orleans
Yeah, okay. You clearly have issues beyond me..
you have singled me out for personal attacks in this thread more than once, and I am not going to be bullied or gaslit
You quote me, assume that my posts are responses to you, tag me in your posts and constantly attempt to open dialogue with me despite my wishes that you would not do that - then imply that I'm trying to bully you with personal attacks even though I don't know you and wouldn't fucking want to.

Maybe you wouldn't conflate people having differing views with you being personally attacked if your views weren't so heavily based on personal feelings.

I'll make this clear: I want nothing to do with you. I have no interest in talking to you or talking about you. When someone disagrees with you, you make accusations about their intentions here - but I'm not the one using the site to trade drugs and request money.

Fuck off.

Fuck off.
That's not a very nice thing to say to a lady.

I don't know what your problem with her is, but I have read all of her posts in this thread and found her to be:
- civil
- educated (even if not in organic chemistry)
- organized
- sincere
- logical in her arguments and able to eloquently express them
- able and willing to learn
- willing to purchase lab equipment and do experiments according to the scientific method

If more members exhibited the qualities listed above, then this forum's quality would be improved.
Of course she is not perfect, e.g. I find her emphasis on the "messenger" rather than on the subject matter, to be a great flaw, but nobody's perfect. BTW: I do not count her willingness to stand up for herself as a flaw.

Also, I find your allegation, that she is fixated on one theory and cherrypicking facts only supporting that theory (and disregarding all others), to be incorrect, as she has compiled and posted a list of MULTIPLE theories [insert link here] which are plausible explanations to the subject of this thread.

Last edited:
@F.U.B.A.R. Interesting that you break magic off into a category separate from good, based on set/setting. If I could find good, I would be pretty damn thankful. Once I notice how good the air feels, I know I am set.

This is what I mean by 'magic' being highly subjective. To me, the magic is in the interaction with other people - the connectedness, the melding of minds. Because I only fly solo these days, the empathy and openness cannot manifest itself. But when I do get the good stuff, it is obvious that the magic would happen if I were in a social situation - whereas with the meh, sociability couldn't be further from my mind...

I don't want to sound like I'm ragging on the older people in the thread, but yes something else changed, your body over the course of 10 years (and nearly 20 years since you had the super magic experiences). I imagine the set and settings of your experiences have also changed during those time periods. I do not think it is a coincidence that many in this thread started rolling ~20 years ago, and that they also seem to get the least positive effects from mehDMA (if any) while having the lowest success rates for finding anything they consider magic.

Anyway, I can't believe I wasted my time hunting Reddit experience reports out of the dross when the true repository has been here all along: https://erowid.org/experiences/exp....A_RA&NewSort=PDD&Start=0&ShowViews=0&Cellar=0
This is the Erowid experience vault for first time MDMA experiences, sorted to show the most recent. I encourage everyone to pick a dozen from the past two years and give them a read before deciding that most of the MDMA in the world has turned to shit and that kids these days couldn't possibly understand what real magic felt like.

Edit: I didn't realize how far behind Erowid was on publishing reports, many of those were written years ago but only very recently published. You can work around this using Google, with the string:
site:Erowid.org "Exp Year: 2019" "MDMA (3)" "First Times"
Replace 2019 with whatever year you want to see reports from. There aren't that many from recent years but there are certainly some glowing ones.
Getting older doesn't mean that your rolls go from magic to meh.your body doesn't just stop reacting to magic to give a meh experience.

With regards to me getting older:
Alcohol: still the same effect as the first time
LSD: still the same effect as the first time
MDMA: pants

And with regard to set and setting (you doubters seem to assume that we're all watching horror movies while taking it nowadays?): if I drink plenty of alcohol I slur my words, lose some inhibitions and fall over a lot - because that's what alcohol does. If I take a nice amount of lsd things start to visual change - because that's what lsd does. If I take MDMA - it doesn't give me intense euphoria even though we (used to?) call it ecstacy.

I'm glad for you that you're happy with your supply. Many of us aren't. Yes its weird that the testing services aren't spotting anything but people a lot more experienced in the chemistry world than me have pointed out the shortcomings of such services. There have been good theories as to why there might be a problem - including a research paper that identified two impurities that inhibit mdma action.

At the end of the day, those of us who claim to have experienced magic and meh (some still luckily coming across magic) are not going to be convinced by your 'it's all in your head' arguments because it is such a night and day comparison. Ultimately we need someone with high competency in chemistry analysis to compare magic and meh, or at least to analyse meh and identify someone that would cause a problem, to get to the bottom of this. Hey, if a really top notch team did that and there was no difference - I might even think the problem was in my head lol
Which impurities exactly?
What synthesis route yeilds these?
Is it one route or multiple routes?
Is it that mdma hmcp thing I've seen on here somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.