• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Opioids The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

robertdavies

Greenlighter
Hey guys! I finally managed to get a month clean from opiates today (and benzodiazepines) and just wanted to share what helped me.
I tried over 10 times over the course of the last year to get clean, all failed. Even if I managed to get to the 5 day mark where people ~just start~ to feel better I would get another wave of chills/WD symptoms and relapse.

THIS time, I took a sabbatical from work. The MOST important thing is time, and changing habits.
For acute WDs I took a combo of 150mg lyrica and 0.1mg Clonidine q6hrs for the first like, week. Then q8hrs, then q12. Then only Lyrica maybe once a day or every other day if I still got the shakes.
For insomnia: the lyrica and clonidine combo helped but even benzos couldn’t get me to sleep properly the first 2 weeks. So sleep when you can.
Over the counter doxylamine succincate is helpful, as well as 10mg Ambien.
I also found Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) to help quite a bit just to get me to sleep.
I have to say, WD-ing from Benzos and Opiates is it’s own special hell. I was physically dependent on benzos, but not addicted, per say.

Long story short: Lyrica, Clonidine, Flexeril, Ambien and get on OTC meds as soon as you can, and OFF the prescription meds because all of the above can cause physical dependence which is the last thing you want (again), but just listen to your body. Also, the only cure I found for RLS is a hot bath. I didn’t feel better for about 3 weeks. Getting 30min of exercise daily was crucial for me as well as staying busy. Staying in bed was a trigger for me since it was so depressing it just made me want to get high. And just remember
“your strongest desire at the moment is not your deepest desire.” Changed my life.
Great news keep it up!

Shortec Stublue!!

Bluelighter
Interesting how you say “staying in bed” was a trigger. Often most people think sleeping as much away as possible helps. I’m with you, you tend to ruminate about how bad you feel and then relapse. Great post ?

NicoOregon

Bluelighter
Hey guys! I finally managed to get a month clean from opiates today (and benzodiazepines) and just wanted to share what helped me.
I tried over 10 times over the course of the last year to get clean, all failed. Even if I managed to get to the 5 day mark where people ~just start~ to feel better I would get another wave of chills/WD symptoms and relapse.

THIS time, I took a sabbatical from work. The MOST important thing is time, and changing habits.
For acute WDs I took a combo of 150mg lyrica and 0.1mg Clonidine q6hrs for the first like, week. Then q8hrs, then q12. Then only Lyrica maybe once a day or every other day if I still got the shakes.
For insomnia: the lyrica and clonidine combo helped but even benzos couldn’t get me to sleep properly the first 2 weeks. So sleep when you can.
Over the counter doxylamine succincate is helpful, as well as 10mg Ambien.
I also found Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) to help quite a bit just to get me to sleep.
I have to say, WD-ing from Benzos and Opiates is it’s own special hell. I was physically dependent on benzos, but not addicted, per say.

Long story short: Lyrica, Clonidine, Flexeril, Ambien and get on OTC meds as soon as you can, and OFF the prescription meds because all of the above can cause physical dependence which is the last thing you want (again), but just listen to your body. Also, the only cure I found for RLS is a hot bath. I didn’t feel better for about 3 weeks. Getting 30min of exercise daily was crucial for me as well as staying busy. Staying in bed was a trigger for me since it was so depressing it just made me want to get high. And just remember
“your strongest desire at the moment is not your deepest desire.” Changed my life.
Love that quote:)

Ticket

Bluelighter
I just came off benzos and opiates too. Lemme tell ya, holy hell. I am never doing that to myself ever again, unbelievable. I've been trying to get off opiates for years, so I do feel amazing that I finally have. I took the longest route possible lol, I have ADHD and sensory processing issues, so I'm extremely sensitive to wds, it's just unbearable to me and I cave in, so I went well below even subs (after tapering from 34mg daily at the highest, over several months before landing on 2mg daily and splitting them upon realizing there was no way in hell I could jump from there) onto norspan patches, 10mg a week, then 5mg a week, then cut a 10mg patch into thirds for 3.3mg p/week, then cut a 5mg patch in half for 2.5mg p/week, then left the last 2.5mg patch on for 2 weeks, then used lope for the diarrhea for a few days, then switched to 2mg lope p/day for a 3 days, then 'jumped' from there (can you still call it jumping at that point? For most people that'd be a completely unnecessary shuffle lol). Still had to manage the acute symptoms with paracetamol, metaclopramide, doxylamine, telfast, kpin (which I was also using to taper off the benzos), and lots of weed. Been 2 weeks since my last bupe and 4 days since my last lope, 2 weeks since last benzos, woke up today feeling pretty much human. Not great, but immeasurably better than the last like 10 days or so, which have been a special kind of hell. Still breakdancing all through the night and my stomach hasn't settled yet, the worst of it kinda comes in waves with each wave a little weaker than the last, but I'm functional and that's a huge step up. Also haven't had any cigarettes or alcohol in the last month, maybe this time when I say 'this is gonna be my year' on New Years I'll actually be right for once lol

Last edited:

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
What do people think about using stims to get past opiate withdrawal? You could risk losing alot of weight since your appetite is already down, but couldn't they help discomfort and depression alot?

Larimar

Bluelighter
What do people think about using stims to get past opiate withdrawal? You could risk losing alot of weight since your appetite is already down, but couldn't they help discomfort and depression alot?
Yes if I’m out of my oxy I will take a adderall to make it thru work but when it wears off you feel even worse and it kinda makes the restless legs worse as well. But it will help you get shit done for a couple hours .

Ticket

Bluelighter
I take 74mg of Concerta every day anyway, so I don't really know how wds and stims might affect someone who doesn't already regularly use them/has ADHD, but I'd imagine it could maybe work temporarily then just make things worse when they've mostly worn off. I know a good amount of people tend to avoid even caffeine during wds because of the heart rate, palpitations, sweats and shakes, anxiety, jitteryness etc. Might help for a while with an energy boost and maybe overriding some of the brain fog and flatness/depression though.

PrincessRN

Greenlighter
I tried that with adderall before, just to function during the day time while in WDs. You still feel the withdrawals really bad, but the anxiety isn’t as bad when the drug kicks in, however the comedown is hell. Once the mood elevation is gone, you’re left with worse anxiety and for me, palpitations, super depression and extreme drug cravings. It’s like borrowing happiness from yourself and then plunging into the negative. It’s not worth it. The only thing I found effective is just time. It takes time to feel normal again but you will. If you can get some look into Kratom, I hear that can help a lot.

nznity

Bluelighter
gabapentin/pregabalin works wonders for withdrawal. Stims are just gonna exacerbate your discomfort, anxiety and when ur coming down suicide thoughts can appear. so it's a no-no.

psychetool

Bluelighter
Is there any way to get on methadone if my piss is clean ? In pdx sick as a dog, need help. Been taking seroquel but it doesn't help. Shoot me a message ?

Ganjcat

Bluelighter
I cant even make it 24 hours with dope and i dont even get into withdrawal( the physical) just the mental of knowing i dont have any or have any money to get some drives me crazy luckily I raised £20 and got 3 bags for 20 I had 1 and 1/2 and now im gonna have the rest and play heatherstone I dont know how anyone can make it through withdrawal when you have been taking it this long mine got really bad after taking codeine for 2 years and 4 years later now i still take codeine(which i can still feel albeit have to take much higher dose) since starting H 3 months ago I literaly 'tried H' when I was out and just used it every single day since honestly I dont think I can ever get back to how I was some days I have glimpses of what it used to be when im in that middle of being high and being sober before the withdrawal and cravings on the brighter side my grandma who didnt even know what a laptop was until I showed her treated herself to one so she can go on bingo which mean i can use it to and man i gotta say typing, reading compared to using a mobile is a breeze I forgot how much I love laptops and all the stuff you can do on it its also perfect for dope as the flat surface and be used to flatten my foil and drop the stuff on.

Is there any way to get on methadone if my piss is clean ? In pdx sick as a dog, need help. Been taking seroquel but it doesn't help. Shoot me a message ?
AHH a Bruce Lee fan! most people on here think Bruce lee was bulshit I remember posting a thread about him x its good to see a fellow fan! I also never heard that quote before cheers hes got a lot of good ones I suspect bruce lee was a drug user but unlike most he didnt let the drugs control him his strict exercise regimes meant that he had more than enough natural endorphins so he wouldnt get addicted after all he was greater than most men.

Shortec Stublue!!

Bluelighter
Jesus Christ Almighty @Ganjcat please use some punctuation, that was painful.

I am not even sure when dissecting what you said, I even have the jist!!

Last edited:

psychetool

Bluelighter
At least you gotta plug Ganjcat, I tossed all my #'s to make it through court ordered rehab without slipping.... fucking stupid....