Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The new class system

preacha said:
the neptunes are pharrell and chad hugo

edit: i'm petty and a giant music snob

oops, thanks pointing out my brain-fart ;)

Thought i'd bump this one in light of DFR new music thread... might be worth a re read ..

aaah not sure what discussion this thread is meant to generate

Is it about class systems or musical taste?

I believe in class distinction, its simply unavoidable, it works and you will find it everywhere even in the cultures that specificaly indicate that they do avoid it

I love The Clash, absolutely amazing music

THIS.... IS.... RADIO........ CLASH!!!

I judge people by the music they listen too for sure

but more in a 'ha ha' or 'jeez, WTF you thinking' sort of a way

I would never banis anyone into the outer realms of the universe for liking something i detested though

a couple of my good friends went to the Dixie Chicks earlier this year and I didn't even say a word ;)

I think comparing discrimination based on gender, sexual preference and race to discrimination to do with music tastes is a bit of an exaggeration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination

Discriminating between people on the grounds of merit is generally lawful in Western democracies. Discrimination on other grounds, such as skin color or religion, generally is not.

Thoth nailed it:

-Thoth said:
For a class system to emerge there need to be dominant heirachical systems of power. I would debate this exists in the music scene, which while being fractured into groups of varying taste, does not represent something like classism. Unless you can argue that techno fans have some kind of social control/power/privalege over say, R'n'B fans, then all you have are two groups that like different shit.

Comparing it with colour, gender and sexuality are flawed analogies... Blacks, Women and Gays in these instances faced conditions of cultural/social/economic/political opression from dominant, established power heirarchies and were denied the privaleges these powerholders posessed. This was no issue of black/white, gay/straight, male/female difference of opinion... It was about people who were in the order of things disposessed, and as such had to fight against the dominant discourse to get the rights they wanted.

Believing your opinions or tastes are "better" than somebody else's to some extreme is only arsehole egomaniac behaviour until you actually deprive sombody else or another whole group of rights through it. In conditions like that, you can get class systems developing... Its less a case of differing opinions as it is have's and have nots.

So until then... I can slag off at country music, and they can pay me out right back. Until I nuke Nashville, who really gives a shit?

That said, I don't see genre snobbery as too much of a problem. I mean, if you go to a House night, chances are that most everyone else in attendance will like House music.

Aww... if I knew of this thread (even though it's 4 years old) I wouldn't have started a new one. I did a search, this never came up. Ah well, maybe a merge is needed then :/

I only judge people if they say they don't like Tool. Not that I'll start being rude about it or anything, but just quietly, if you tell me you don't like Tool that means that I'll never put much stock in your opinion on music at all, ever again.

vanth said:
I guess I am a bit snobby. I laugh at one of my friends for liking Casey Chambers. I can appreciate pop though. I have been sneered at by too many prog elitists to be too much of a snob 8)

Casey Chambers is beneath comtempt, I hate everything about her music.

eggman88888 said:
aaah not sure what discussion this thread is meant to generate

Is it about class systems or musical taste?

I believe in class distinction, its simply unavoidable, it works and you will find it everywhere even in the cultures that specificaly indicate that they do avoid it

I love The Clash, absolutely amazing music

THIS.... IS.... RADIO........ CLASH!!!

You have damn fine taste in music!

My favourite album is Cut The Crap. Haha that's a terrible joke!

This is probably an unpopular view, but the second Clash album is my fav, Give 'Em Enough Rope.

But if I were to pick a song, White Man In Hammersmith Palais all the way.

MoonlapseVertigo said:
As long as the music you listen to has some worth, even if I don't like it.

If it's something like an Australian Idol Compilation, or The Veronicas, I think that says something about you as a person. And it's generally not something I like.
Spot on.

Although I won't usually say anything, and I know it's wrong, I can't help but
think less of a person if they tell me they are into music but their taste is truly horrendous. It won't stop me being friends with someone but we can't go out together unless it's somewhere where the music is negligible, and we could never live together simply because I find listening "bad" music painful: It's much better when they are simply not into music.

I only hate music that is clearly made with no talent whatsoever.

On the other hand, i dont hate but dislike alot of genre's (as do most people). I wish punk would dis-invent itself, and im not a massive fan of happy hardcore either, but i dont have anything wrong with people who like it....

Except for emo's, i wish they would kill themselves off already.....

I like bagpipe music. Part of its appeal is how annoying other people seem to find it. Also how cool are bagpipes?

Since one of my co-workers started blasting Avril Lavigne at work, I've lost a little respect for them.

Unfortunately they just don't know any better. It's not their fault.