• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The new class system

Thoth- I'll be up fer that! You get the nukes and i'll make a guidance system from components in my PS2, we'll be cooking rednecks by dawn!%)

-Thoth said:
For a class system to emerge there need to be dominant heirachical systems of power. I would debate this exists in the music scene, which while being fractured into groups of varying taste, does not represent something like classism. Unless you can argue that techno fans have some kind of social control/power/privalege over say, R'n'B fans, then all you have are two groups that like different shit.

You're absolutely right Thoth, it's nothing like a class system. The best analogy I can think of is to compare it to religion in modern society. No one religion (in theory anyway) has the right to impose it's beliefs or practices on the rest of the people in a democratic society.

Yet the people who are most zealous about their music tastes, and the most unforgiving on other people's music tastes, are probably the same people who would never lower themselves to religious prejudice and would find the preaching of religious fundamentalists revolting.

There's always a place for rational debate, even heated argument, and of course, always a place for humor (at the expense of other people's beliefs... sure)... and then there's outright intolerance. Regardless of whether it's religion or music or whatever, intolerance only serves to highlight the ignorance, zealoutry and blind stubborness of those who perpetrate it.

^^^ i see where your comim from actually...its is more like religious beliefs then a class system....(kinda) ;)

Can I just say...

I reckon that one should always be open minded. It's the best way to learn and to grow as a person. You only live once, so why not open your mind (or ears, as this particular case may be...) and experience everything that you can possibly experience. Sure, you might not like EVERYTHING you try and experience, but at least try to take the time to appreciate why other people might, and learn from your own experience.

Personally, I love all types of music (with the exception of commercial radio drivel...), and appreciate them all for what they are. The type of music I choose to listen to at any given time depends on the mood or situation I am in.

My opinions on the matter aside, doofqueen, I think you have brought up a very interesting topic, and I would have to agree with you that all this bickering about and bagging out of music tastes is ridiculous.

PLUR :)

dim_mak said:
OT bit: Men don't like RnB. Women like RnB, men like women (unless theyre bluelighters, then interchange each sex at will). I challenge you to find a guy who dresses nicely, drives a nice car and goes to RnB clubs that goes purely to listen to music. Go on ;)

Craig David =D

Just thought i'd bump this one because i have to say that i have started being a bit more of a music snob lately. Oh how things change... maybe i'm becoming jaded too? ;)

Lately, Sylv? You've been a psy snob for as long as I've known you. ;)

sifu_elver said:
OT bit: Men don't like RnB. Women like RnB, men like women (unless theyre bluelighters, then interchange each sex at will). I challenge you to find a guy who dresses nicely, drives a nice car and goes to RnB clubs that goes purely to listen to music. Go on ;)

The problem is (from what I'm told by people that attend) that there aren't that many women that go to those clubs. Now because the men are there looking to score and because there aren't as many women there, not to mention the poison of choice at those clubs, fights tend to erupt. That's my understanding anyway. I still fail to see why they need to have scantily clad skanks on all their promotional material. That doesn't attract women, that attracts more men looking for some tail.

Not counting my rave/doof/clubbing friends, I know as many girls that like RnB as I do girls that like rock or house or any reasonably popular music. I know surprisingly many guys that like hip hop and RnB though.

I wish emo kids would stop ruining the scene by their whiney association with it and just kill themselves already. Maybe hang themselves with those ridiculously tight buttcrack showing pants.

They're probably all headed for a death from Vit. D deficiency anyways by avoiding the sun like the plague.

You're probably right DQ. I feel justified discriminating against someone because of musical taste. You can't choose race, colour, or sex...

lostpunk5545 said:
You're probably right DQ. I feel justified discriminating against someone because of musical taste. You can't choose race, colour, or sex...

You can these days, just ask Michael Jackson %)

I don't mind RnB and Hip Hop.

I'm not afraid to admit I quite enjoy some of the tracks on Craig Davids last effort and Destiny's Child too.

Part of it is positive memory association. If you have a great night with great people and RnB is playing .... naturally you're gonna associated that music with fun and good times.

Recently I've been open to a lot more musical experiences.l

I like a lot of different genre's of music and my tastes have really changed over the last several years. Of course there's still stuff I can't stand but most of the time I can recognise and acknowladge why other people might like that music.

Tis inevitable, practically innate, that we're gonna judge each other based on our musical preferences, just as we do when it comes to people's actions, what they look like, what they wear etc.
Still, I guess we should try to be more open and accepting of individual taste. After all our uniqueness it what makes things interesting and exciting :)
Guess that it's all already been said ey. As long as you get enjoyment out of your music, screw everyone else. Each to their own!

i skimmed the first post and then didnt bother reading any other subsiquent replies, but only because everyone knows dnb is the best and theres no point even bothering discussing it.

rbk1.jpg

gher said:
Lately, Sylv? You've been a psy snob for as long as I've known you. ;)

oh not true! Ok well maybe a *little* ;)

My partners music is very top 40 and mainstream and I seem to always be cringing when in her car listening to her music. It's what also made me bump the thread. That's not to say I hate all top 40 just because it's mainstream though. I like some of it a *little* ;)

lok1 said:
i skimmed the first post and then didnt bother reading any other subsiquent replies, but only because everyone knows dnb is the best and theres no point even bothering discussing it.

hahaha! Every dnb fan I know is exactly that way too. Most passinate about it that's for sure =D

Even If Ya Only Havta Use 'Em Once A Year...

An' today,
"...I didn't even (think I'd) havta use my..."

...hate venues,
not music...

...it's the new...