• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy Salvia Thread (Archived start - 1-20-08)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Salvia Divinorum a dissociative?

Just wondering what everyone thinks about this.

I personally find Salvia's effect to be much more similar to the effects of Ketmine, DXM and Nitrous oxide (especially Nitrous) than it is to the effects of Phenethylamines and Tryptamines. It also seems to induce Anaesthesia at high doses, and of course, the dissociation of mind from body.

Thoughts? I know this has been hinted to in a couple of other topics before, but I don't believe it has been discussed extensively.

I cannot even think of anything to contrast it with.

It is by far the most unique substance I've taken. I personally don't think its anything like dissociatives, but I guess I could see where people might think so.

i don't know. it feels very different from the dissociatives i've done (dxm, nitrous). but its similar in the sense that it dissociates you from your body and surroundings and puts you in a state of simple consiousness where you experience another plane of existance.

Technically

I suppose technically you could describe it as having dissociative properties (separates conciousness from awareness of body), but if the term is used with respect to its pharmacological properties, that implies that it has NMDA inhibiting activity, which it doesn't

Classic dissociatives block external sensory input, so that the mind only has it's own feedback loops to act as input; hence the state produced. From my experiences, salvia seems to propel me into a dream-like state, with the attending "dream-logic" (how else could I account for feeling like a wisp of smoke). In dreams, most people are unaware of their bodies, but it is possible for sensory input to influence the dream state (ever fallen asleep in front of the tv, had dreams about something like a distressing bus journey, then after you awoke, found that you'd slept through a showing of the film "Speed" on the tv?). I've never had anything like that while k-holing, but have had it sort of happen with salvia.

If you were describing the effects of salvia to someone though, ketamine is most probably the closest analogy.

You have some very good points, F&B.

Though, I was actually going to ask... has there been any studies as to Salvia's affinity for NMDA inhibition?

It certainly does feel somewhat like DXM to me. That phrase that 'deviate' used, 'a state of simple consciousness' may be the common factor. They both have a strange way of reducing me to a passive recipient of experience, although salvia is much more violent about it. They can also both make it hard to recognise familiar things, even in the absence of OEVs.

DXM and salvia synergise very, very nicely -- the salvia is far more intense and lacks the terror that sometimes comes with it. I don't know what this means, but it must be relevant in some way.

It's possible to have dissociative-like experiences with amanitas (GABAergic), and there is another powerful synergy between amanitas and salvia.

These synergies suggest different actions converging on a common effect.

If I was going to put it in any class at all, dissociatives would probably be the one I'd pick.

Does anyone else feel a bit euphoric when its starts wearing off?

I think it's got something to do with the feeling of "I survived in one piece!"

As for salvia being dissociative like ketamine, I think that in terms of trying to explain the salvia state to someone, ketamine would be the best comparison to begin. Thing is, the main difference between the two is that any extreme emotions on ketamine are either absent, or very short lived, and don't have a chance to compound themselves, whereas the opposite tends to be true with salvia. From personal experience, any fear felt during ketamine is generally very fleeting, whereas with salvia, if fear sets in, it can remain throughout, or in some cases become, the experience.

In that sense, if ketamine is the drug equivalent of a near death experience, salvia is the drug equivalent of very realistic dreaming (which includes the odd - sometimes very odd - nightmare). Both involve shutting off external sensory input, but respond to the internal enviroment in very different ways.

Walkabouts on Salvia

I hhave read that the main danger (immediate danger at least) of smoking large quantites of salvia was the fact that under the influence people have been known to get up and move about without actually meaning their body's to do so. How common is this? Has anyone ever actually done anything or herard or anything odd done while on salvia?

I'm just beginnning y foray into salvi and wish toknow more

Actually...one night i was at a friends and we insuffulated unknown amounts of DPT... i decided to take a salvia bonger and this is what happened...

My body was strung onto chanins which were attatched to cranks which were cranking me up into a hole that appeared in the cieiling. I was terrified, and i had the destince impression that i was on my own hellish version of THE TRUMAN SHOW.

iI guess in real life i jumped up off the bed inbetween to lady friends and grabbed onto their hands very tightly... i have no recollection of consciously moving about.

Another nite a newbie to salvia took a bongload and proceeded to try leaving the residence in winter without shoes or car keys.

actually...
i experienced this second hand
my friend was sitting there, and we were at his house and couldnt make much noise.
he took his hit and immidetly got up and starting running around and hitting walls and yelling, then proceeded to drool on himself..
i just laughed, he couldnt remember getting up later.

I have, on my 3rd salvia voyage, gotten up a few moments after taking a huge hit of the stuff.. and when I ran, making a U-shaped curve to walk around the counter of my kitchen, I felt like I was on a racetrack whereas the road is tilted 45 degrees and you're on a tilt going around.

I've had very bizarre roadway-type visuals encompass my vision, connecting and sucking into a vortex..

Man, do NOT listen to Radiohead while on this stuff. It'll control you, with the help of the TV :O

My first couple times smoking Salvia, I definitely moved around.. the body high was something hella uncomfortable to me so I couldn't sit still.

There was actually one time that was just a tiny bit below breakthrough that when the trip hit, the visuals started touching me and it felt like I was being stabbed by thousands of daggers and so I bolted out of my apartment trying to run from them, only to have the salvia gravity pull me back in and stick me in my armchair...

Its weird stuff and I definitely won't be doing any dose of it alone ever again... I could have seriously hurt myself... and when I ran out the front door of my apartment, I was only wearing my boxers.....

Salvia- pure terror or something more?

Well, I'e dabbled with salvia several times before, though not the breakthrough dose until about 45 mins ago. Truly, I have never been more frightened in my life- I had absolutlely no idea what was going on except that I wanted; no, needed it to stop. But she wouldn't let it!

Anyway, I am still shaking from it and will probably do it again, but how can one possibly channel something that disorienting? I couldn't even remember smoking it ten seconds afterwards- plus the salvia prescence seems kind of ruthless and mocking.

Has anyone actually been able to 'stay awake' during this unbelievably weird state?

All I know is that there were two prescences- one dominantly female who just tried to reassure me, and another playing reggae. Well, thats what it felt like.

Such a mindfuck, can it be controlled?

I have done salvia over 70 times and I feel that I have "mastered" it, but it wasn't until about the 25th time that I really began to be able to control the effects and stay somewhat grounded during the experience.

The key I think is to do it in a dark room with no distractions and just focus 100% of your energy and attention on remaining perfectly still no matter what sorts of physical sensations you feel. By remaining perfectly still it is like you are telling the salvia "I'm in charge here", and from there you can begin to harness its effects more.

Other than that, it just takes a few uses to "figure out" salvia so that when the effects come on, they don't feel as disorienting and bizarre. The effects of salvia become quite predictable and familiar once you have used it a lot.

Greater appreciation of nature, greater appreciation of life/conciousness in general, realization that consensus reality is completely artificial and subjective and that there most likely is no "real reality"- it's all based on perception. Basically the usual "mind-expansion" stuff that is associated with other psychedelics but not so much with salvia, since most people just try salvia once or twice and are too freaked out by it to really work with it and gain anything.

It also sometimes helps me work through things in my life. For example, if I am at a crossroads and can't decide which direction to take, after contemplating about it for a while I'll smoke some salvia and the plant will instantly make it blindingly obvious which decision to make. Other psychedelics are pretty good at this as well, but it's nice being able to use a drug that lasts five minutes and get an answer instead of having to set aside a whole night for a trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I am still absolutely boggled by what happened last night. I seem to have taken some 'fear response' with me because I am still quite anxious. Truly, a part of me thinks I should never trip again . . . but I will.

Wow, it was just amazingly scary and so vivid that its almost possible to dismiss what occurred.

I should say, I smoked the drug in my darkned bedroom playing some chilled dub reggae . . . at one point I was standing up and literally asking god knows who (The Goddess?) "What the fuck is going on?" I live with my parents (well, for anotherweek) so thats not cool.

However during al of this a soothing voice was repeating "Be calm S@#", in what seemed like an attempt to reassure. But I certainly didn't listen- even when my query was answered with disemboded voices saying "You smoked a pipe"- fuck even the vocalist on my reggae started singing that I'd smoked a pipe. I personally thought I was dreaming. My mnd was so filled with the white noise of shitting oneself that I just panicked more and more.

I contemplated waking my parents up- lucky I didn't eh :) I called my girlfriend and started crying about how scared I was. Salvia is the most terrifying and intense experience available on this planet up there with birth and death- I've taked lotsof psychedelics, including smoked DMT- nothing compares to this.

I accept that with multiple use it could be 'controlled' but I don't know if I'll get to that state- I feel like Salvia is such a 'bully' thats there's little left of the "I" to exert control with. Not ego death but just ot ego.

I would swear that hands were holding me down during the experience but I was alone.

Hmm, whatbout anyone with MORE experience in both DMT and salvia comparing the too? To me DMT seems clean, pure and rejuvinating- Salvia is so out of the planet its almost nothing.

subdefy said:
I wonder if combinging a benzo would help out with "the fear"

It would help- the more relaxed, I guess, the greater likelihood of a peaceful experience. But I feel like I have large gaps in my memory of last nights experience, so a benzo would enhance that.

I think maybe a few beers could go alright before- if (and when, I spose:)) I try it again thats what I'll do.

Salvia is a ruthless bitch =D

My type of gal. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.