• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Shitty Poppy Seeds

Be very careful if doing a kilogram of seeds. Have someone be with you just in case I'd say.

This might be a bit late for a response to your post at the top of the page, blau1005, but RoxyPoppyGirl is from America which is why she has access to pods. Though I have managed to source them here domestically once before.

Ah that makes sense then. Thought she must have been in Australia considering it's ADD :)

Over Easter I went around to a few different supermarkets and found the darkest, stickiest looking seeds I could find. I made a tea from about 400gm of seeds; it turned out quite a lot darker than any other tea I've made. It also had an intensely strong taste. No effects whatsoever though :\ Seems the colour and taste of the tea can't be a general guide to strength.

I also sourced some seeds from a wholesaler and found them to be very similar to supermarket seeds in terms of the colour of the seeds, the taste/appearance of tea and, unfortunately, the lack of any effects whatsoever.

I think I'm almost over poppy seeds.

^ Mmm, I tried them once and had a similar experience. Complete waste of money. :\

A few years ago when i first tried poppy tea, i got extremely fucked off it. these days it seems pretty useless, no matter where i get the seeds from. I used to use the Hoyts D brand, but they dont seem to work well anymore, but other people get high from them... I'm attributing it to my opiate tollerance, which is extremely high.

yeah I did about 2 weeks ago, just the big hoyts jars

but god, it tasted so bad, had a few chugs then almost threw up, about 40 mins later I could feel it quite alot, which suprised me since I didn't drink that much

won't drink it again, tastes too bad

I usually mix the tea with lemonade, and it tastes quite nice after that

Just want some opinions on what people know about the actual strain of seeds a particular brand sells.

The brand menora sells papaver rhoeas khas khas strain seeds which look identical to Papaver somniferum seeds but would be completely worthless for anything except making poppy seed rolls.

What im getting at does anyone know of a brand(s) that sell Papaver somniferum seed %100? Lets just say if someone happened to spill some somewhere which brand would produce the most "beautiful flowers"?

Bump, anyone?

^ The only other brand I know definitely is Seven Seas which use papaver rhoeas seeds too. I don't think any other brand gives out the information regarding what strain they use and I doubt anyone would know. Some do say they are sourced exclusively in Australia and some say from a mixture of Australian and imported seeds, but this doesn't really tell you much either.

As far as cultivation talk, BL isn't really the place. Google is your friend.

New Warning

Just a note that tests have been started on thebaine/oripavine seeds for human consumption. :\

This will be made possible by using new methods in crop harvesting.

Expect to see them on the shelves in the next couple of months/years.

They will look exactly the same, but will have no morphine content.

ie. this means that a seed extraction will not only be useless, it may also be very dangerous.

Be careful folks, and remember that an opiate buzz is easy to come by in Aus... Just drop down to your local chemist.

Nab.

any further information on this? sources? i am do some stockpiling in that case

Just a note that tests have been started on thebaine/oripavine seeds for human consumption. :\

This will be made possible by using new methods in crop harvesting.

Expect to see them on the shelves in the next couple of months/years.

They will look exactly the same, but will have no morphine content.

ie. this means that a seed extraction will not only be useless, it may also be very dangerous.

Be careful folks, and remember that an opiate buzz is easy to come by in Aus... Just drop down to your local chemist.

Nab.

Except if you're CYP2D6 deficient :p

But yeah, sources on that info?

it doesnt supprise me that they are doing this. i highly doubt it's gmo so i assuming just selective breeding. nabollocks did mention changing harvesting methods though.

maybe it is a good thing i mean i am sure poppy seeds have introduced alot of people into opiates.

^ Given the bad luck most people seem to be having with poppy seeds these days, if they are determined enough to go through all that hit-and-miss then they are probably determined enough to get into opioids one way or another.

New poppy produces natural codeine - Even more bad news

This story made news tonight. Looks like opium addicts are out of luck...

http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/content/200903/s2523328.htm

Monday, 23/03/2009

A Tasmanian poppy processor is claiming a breakthrough with a new variety that requires minimal processing to produce the pain relief medicine, codeine.

Tasmanian Alkaloids at Westbury has bred a poppy variety called Tasman that produces natural codeine as the poppies grow in the field.

Tasmanian Alkaloids field operations manager, Rick Rockliffe, says codeine is currently produced as a derivative of morphine, in a process that uses a lot of energy and chemicals.

"It makes the process simpler", he says.

"Instead of taking the morphine material into a factory for complicated processing, you've got little sort of factories in the field if you like, already producing the natural codeine.

"We're intending to grow probably between 500 and 1000 hectares this coming season."

^ Badly put article... codeine is already a naturally occurring alkaloid, it seems as if they have just used selective breeding to create a poppy with codeine as the major alkaloid.

Interesting though.

You missed the point my good friend Mr Blonde.

Most of the Morphine crop used to go toward making codeine anyway.

Now that we have a poppy that produces only codeine, and we have a variety that produces only oripavine/thebaine, there is no longer any need for the morphine poppy.

As morphine is easily made from codeine it is only a matter of time before the opium poppy is phased out.

This may not happen over night, but I think poppy seed tea might be a tale your children may not believe... sort of like the heroin otc in our grand parents generation.

Just found another press release.
http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/content/200904/s2556882.htm
Codeine poppy takes off in Tasmania

Thursday, 30/04/2009

A Tasmanian poppy company is expecting to completely replace morphine production with a new poppy variety, 'Tasman', that produces codeine in the capsule.

The new codeine poppy was unveiled by Johnson & Johnson subsidiary, Tasmanian Alkaloids last month.

Its researchers took four years to find a genetic mechanism to block the genes responsible for the production of morphine and allow the accumulation of codeine.

Dr Tony Fist says it's another step in developing poppies tailored to produce alternative pharmaceuticals.

"It will be a competitive way of making codeine, so it really does make a better thing for the farmers to grow than morphine, so ultimately I expect this will replace morphine poppies in Tasmania," he says.

Dr Fist says Tasmanian Alkaloids has contracted about 1000 hectares for Tasman poppy production this year.

Last edited:
^ Is it that much cheaper to synth morphine from codeine, rather than the other way around?

nabollocks: Ah, I didn't think of it that way... would be scary if soon all that existed here was thebaine and codeine poppies!

blau: I'm not sure of the efficiency of synthing morphine from codeine. If it isn't viable enough, it is likely that there will still have to be crops of morphine poppies. It is one of the WHO's essential medicines, after all.

There is plenty of other contries that grow morphine poppies.

The more lucrative markets at the moment are codeine and oripavine/thebaine derived opiates.

Using pyrodeine to convert codeine into morphine is next to pointless. I mean it's simply removing the methyl group that codeine has that converts it to morphine - but the yield is low. But i cant see them completely stopping morphine production in australia (not sure how much is produced here) but its still the painkiller of choice in hospitals and for alot of reasons.

nabollocks said:
There is plenty of other contries that grow morphine poppies.

But what's to say this won't take off in other nations? ;)

MrIbis said:
Using pyrodeine to convert codeine into morphine is next to pointless. I mean it's simply removing the methyl group that codeine has that converts it to morphine - but the yield is low. But i cant see them completely stopping morphine production in australia (not sure how much is produced here) but its still the painkiller of choice in hospitals and for alot of reasons.

I don't want to break the synth discussion rule, but I can think of other methods of converting codeine to morphine that have much higher yields.

Doing a little bit of research, I see Australia is one of the top six morphine consuming countries of the world, so it would seem it's ideal for us to have access to morphine poppies anyway. I wonder though how much of our morphine consumption is for the purposes of producing codeine?