Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Scariest Films Ever?

I just saw the Exorcist again. Maybe not the scariest, but still scary.
What I noticed for the first time was at the beginning when they take her to see the doctors, one of them prescribes her ritalin

blair witch project (scared the shit out of me)
paranormal activity 3
Event Horizon

I'm down with your choices;

Blair Witch freaked me out - first time I saw that I was on my own in my house, in the dark, stoned too, shit me up. No question a landmark horror film.

Haven't seen the 3rd Paranormal Activity but boy the first one spooked me for weeks, even to the point of not wanting to walk into rooms with the light off in my own house, the film seemed to stay with me long after the end credits. Might have copied Blair Witch to a degree but did it so well I don't care.

Event Horizon - hands down one of my favorite films of all time, and one of the most fucked up too, saw it 3 times at the cinema liberate tutemet ex inferis!

Silence of the Lambs def scared me when I watched it when I was younger.

I also remember The Gate scaring the SHIT out of me when I was young.

The original Last House on the Left was pretty fucked up.

I don't like scary movies because now a days they "scare" you by flashing a giant monster screaming suddenly. OR they "scare" you by just simply grossing you out (a la Human Centipede). When I "jump" its more of a flinch than being truly scared. I dont like it. Its not like creepy and scary, its just startling.

Scariest- Paranormal Activity 3
Most disturbing- Silent Hill Revelation
Creepiest- Ju-on 1 (japanese version, not american version)

A Serbian Film is probably the most disgusting horror film in recent years but extremely well made and I love the soundtrack. Martyrs is a powerful disturbing masterpiece. Only two films really frightened me were Pet Semetery and Lucio Fulci's House by the cemetery, but I was only about 7 or 8 at the time.

I wish I found this forum earlier as I love horror. :)

I don't think it was meant to be scary, but Still Alice has given me a few nightmares. Alzheimer's looks awful and without a robot buddy like in Robot & Frank it just looks like it would be horrifying to the family members that witness the person's demise.

This is my flick.

[Horror] The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) Full
[video=youtube_share;AP3WDQXkJq4]http://youtu.be/AP3WDQXkJq4[/video]

IMDB said:
Storyline

Francis, a young man, recalls in his memory the horrible experiences he and his fiancée Jane recently went through. It is the annual fair in Holstenwall. Francis and his friend Alan visit The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, an exhibit where the mysterious doctor shows the somnambulist Cesare, and awakens him for some moments from his death-like sleep. When Alan asks Cesare about his future, Cesare answers that he will die before dawn. The next morning Alan is found dead. Francis suspects Cesare of being the murderer, and starts spying on him and Dr. Caligari. The following night Cesare is going to stab Jane in her bed, but softens when he sees the beautiful woman, and instead of committing another murder, he abducts her. Jane's father awakens because of the noise, and he and some servants follow the fleeing Cesare. When Cesare cannot outrun his pursuers anymore, he gently places Jane down on the ground, and runs away. Francis and the police investigate the caravan of Dr. Caligari, but the ...

Details
Language: German
Release Date: 19 March 1921 (USA)
Also Known As: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Filming Locations: Lixie-Atelier, Weißensee, Berlin, Germany
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0010323/

Last edited:
I thought The Thing (1982) was really disturbing.
Rewatched Invasion of the Body Snatchers(1978 ) and its not bad.

Recommend a horror movie

I'm not shooting drugs anymore, so I gotta get an adrenaline rush somehow! In the two years I was on the streets a lot of great horror films and psychological thrillers have come out, and I'm now trying to catch up on them. However, this is becoming incredibly difficult to top or meet the standards of the ones I have now seen. That is where you all can hopefully give me a guiding hand. I'll put down my favorites, and you guys put yours. Please no one put 'The Purge' as that was absolute shit. Okay, here are my favorite horror/thriller movies from the last few years:

In Fear

infear1.jpg

This movie was fucking great, kind of takes the premise of 'The Strangers' and puts it in a car. Basically the premise is that a couple who've been dating for about 2 weeks take a trip to stay at a hotel. On the way there they get lost in a maze that keeps leading them in circles, and soon they realize that they're not the only ones out there, as they become increasingly harassed. What makes this movie so great is the dynamic between the two lead characters, it's about two people who don't really know each other stuck in a horrible situation, together (hence the name 'In Fear' as opposed to 'In Love').

Kill List

MV5BNzM3NzU2NzUzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjY2OTUxNw@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Another great thing to come out of Europe is Kill List, which is one of the most unconventional horror movies I've ever seen. The film follows two hit men as they embark on a new assignment. At first it seems like your typical hit man movie, until everything goes to hell, and the assassins find themselves up against a horrific pagan cult. Truly a masterpiece. I watched this with my father, who said 'As a Catholic this film deeply disturbed me.'

Good Night Mommy

MV5BMjAyMDU2NjU4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDg5ODc0NjE@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

A Brazilian film starring two identical twin boys who's mother comes home after having a facial surgery. The boys begin to suspect that she is not really their mother after all after she exhibits some rather bizarre behaviors. This movie has a great plot twist, so I will say no more.

The Babadook

v1.bTsxMTE4MTE2NjtqOzE3MDIwOzIwNDg7Njc4Ozk5OQ

A well crafted supernatural film with a lot of charm.

Mama

Mama_2012_poster.jpg

Presented by master film make Guillermo Del Toro, comes MAMA, a really fucking creepy ghost movie about two feral children and their 'Mama'.

Cache (hidden)

Cache_Haneke.jpg

This falls more under psychological thriller, but it's very creepy. A couple receives packages containing video cassettes of their home along with weird drawings. Think 'Lost Highway' directed by someone who isn't David Lynch.

Borgman

borgman_theatrical_poster_lowres__large.jpg

Again, more of a thriller/dark comedy, but fucking brilliant.

Anyway, I'm getting a bit lazy, so here are some other ones I've seen that I liked:

-The Honeymoon (kind of hollywood but I'm into the 'body horror' genre)
-Starry Eyes (another 'body horror' film)
-Coherence (sort of a sci-fi thriller, a bit ridiculous but interesting)

Anyway, hopefully I've missed some hidden gem that someone can point out to me, and if you haven't seen any of these movies, make the time to do so. (Of all of the ones listed here I'd say 'Kill List' and 'Goodnight Mommy' were the most impressive)

If you liked "Kill List" (which I thought was quite good as well, although I had difficulty understanding some of the lines due to the accents), I'd recommend "Ex-Drummer" (2007). It's not really a "traditional" horror film but it's a very very dark comedy. I think it's a Belgian film, IIRC.

Here's a few more of my favorites:

Svidd Neger (2003, Norway, dark comedy with some horror elements)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974, USA)
À l'intérieur (2007, France)
Martyrs (2008, France)
Halloween (1978, USA)
Kill Baby, Kill (1966, Italy)
In A Glass Cage (1986, Spain)
Angst (1983, Austria)
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986, USA)
The Loved Ones (2009, Australia)

Michael Haneke is a great film maker, David Lynch he isn't but he speaks same volumes of weird.

Angst, aka Schizophrenia (Gerald Kargl - 1983), is indeed another creepy but brilliant austrian movie. Higly recommended.

Tideland (Terry Gilliam of Brazil fame - 2005) is something worth seeing too.

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but Jacob's Ladder was the scariest film ive seen by far

It's been forever since I've seen it, but I remember The Cell freaking me the fuck out. In a similar way that the Elm Street films did when I was younger, but worse.

apologies if it was already mentioned, but The Grudge (the American remake) was the only movie I ever had to walk out on because it scared the shit out of me. I did go back and watch it at home and still found it scary as hell. that one totally sucker-punched me.

like so many others on this thread, in terms of all-time heavy hitters, my votes go to:

The Exorcist: perfect expression of a country terrified of female sexuality during the womens' lib era...like Freud on a bad acid trip.

The Shining: one of the truest movies about how awful family members really are to each other... a father so jealous of his son's creativity that he wants to eat him alive.

The Exorcist: perfect expression of a country terrified of female sexuality during the womens' lib era...like Freud on a bad acid trip.

I just saw this for the first time a few days ago. I had seen parts of it before on TV, but never the whole thing, in order, unedited. I found it super creepy. I actually kept putting off watching it because I thought it was going to be creepy, and it lived up to its hype. Even with already having seen a majority of it, including the ending, I still found it to be a rather scary movie