• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ PD Social Distancing Talk Thread: Swirly Congregation That's 100% Pandemic-Proof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stereotypy is sometimes referred to as "stimming", under the hypothesis that it serves the purpose of self-stimulation...Here's what I'm thinking... I've noticed that psychedelics which tend to produce more motor stimulation tend to have a uniquely powerful therapeutic effect for me....Could the therapeutic efficacy of psychedelics be at least partly mediated simply by activating a sort of chemically-induced stereotypy?
This sounds to me like the conflation of stimulation (increased sensory engagement and narrowed attention) with stimulating (promotion of increased psychomotor activity,) with your personal experience of getting the most benefit from stimulating psychedelics serving as the bridge between the two disparate but linguistically connected things.

I kind of like the similar working theory that psychedelics decrease default mode network activity, which meditation also does. So does any activity that requires your full attention. Drugs that promote attention (ADHD meds like amphetamine) also suppress the DMN. But not all stimulants do, like caffeine. In the model, I think the key is the shrinking of the attention from the simulation of the past, present, and future to the direct experience of present moment.

Last edited:
if i took 4-ho-met yesterday i can’t take acid for a week or two, right? or is there not a significant cross tolerance?

There is substantial cross-tolerance, but not as much as if you were taking another tryptamine. In my experience, tolerance development is always strongest towards the same drug, followed by the family (ie, tryptamine, phenethylamine, lysergamide, and even sub-groups like DOX or 2C-X vs phenethylamine. And it's produced even less by another class of drug (ie, tryptamine to lysergamide). Still best to wait 2 weeks though. However whenever I trip frequently (like every week usually for a while every summer, also at music festivals it's often 2 days in a row, even 3 occasionally. I just mix drug categories to avoid as much development of tolerance as possible. And then take at least 2 weeks after that.

i did shrooms on a friday this year then on a monday both strong trips then took candyflipped on the tuesday with strong dose of acid and the acid kicked my ass and sent me to another realm. So you will be fine.

This sounds to me like the conflation of stimulation (increased sensory engagement and narrowed attention) with stimulating (promotion of increased psychomotor activity,) with your personal experience of getting the most benefit from stimulating psychedelics serving as the bridge between the two disparate but linguistically connected things.

I kind of like the similar working theory that psychedelics decrease default mode network activity, which meditation also does. So does any activity that requires your full attention. Drugs that promote attention (ADHD meds like amphetamine) also suppress the DMN. But not all stimulants do, since caffeine. In the model, I think the key is the shrinking of the attention from the simulation of the past, present, and future to the direct experience of present moment.

Yes, I definitely think that a decrease in default mode network activity, along with bringing the attention into the present, plays a major role in this whole process.

To be clear, when I talk about "stimulation" in this context, I'm exclusively referring to motor stimulation. Though, I'm not sure how disparate these two phenomena really are. Drugs that promote attention like amphetamines also objectively increase motor activity.

Let's look at it from another angle. Acute bouts of physical exercise significantly decrease state anxiety. While it might be a stretch to call the increased motor activity caused by psychedelic drugs "exercise", is it inconceivable that they might have some overlapping therapeutic mechanisms? In fact, in the past I have related the euphoria that I experience as a result of taking LSD to the euphoria that I feel after working out.

Last edited:
This quote from a review on the relationship between exercise and mental health also caught my attention:

As an additional benefit it seems that a subject learns to associate the usual physical symptoms of sympathetic activity and hyperventilation with a normal healthy state, rather than with anxiety, thereby interrupting the feedback loop between the physical sensations and the cognitive appraisal - usually the basis for a panic attack.

I've definitely independently wondered if the sympathetic activity boost of psychedelics could have a similar effect, and it's interesting to see that people are thinking about that with respect to physical exercise as well. Yet another possible parallel.

Doesn't mean anything though since they keys were only 256 bits long, 2048 or longer keys for RSA would take much much longer to crack, even with an extremely efficient algorithm. It's interesting as to remind people that this technology is so important and that it's not as safe as we like to think, but we're still good for many many years to come probably.

Do check out his publication, still. It's quite an amazing method. He's a brilliant polymath.

im pretty sure the NSA has some secret way to crack RSA keys hidden away. Its troublesome once quantum computing is created then conventional encryption is easily breakable

Oh yeah, man, there's a lot of information to suggest that psychedelics are viable treatments for anxiety. For example, psilocybin treatment was demonstrated to reduce both short-term state anxiety and long-term trait anxiety in a study evaluating its efficacy for end-of-life anxiety in cancer patients. It even reduces amygdala reactivity to negative stimuli. Anxiety management is a huge motivating factor for my own personal interest in psychedelics.
Yes, I'm aware of these studies. I've always interpreted the anxiety relief observed in terminal patients from a result of a "coming to terms" with their situation, which is something I can easily see happening with psychedelic assisted therapy. And that's more or less what I meant when I said "existencial relief" in my last post. I was referring to that short/long term lowering of anxiety that results from a psychedelic experience, but not necessarily during a psychedelic experience, as I don't find psychedelics to be particularly anxiolytic. In fact I find it more or less easy to get anxious while on the psychedelic state if I don't take proper care of the "set and setting" factor.

In the case of lowered amygdalic response to negative stimuli, I relate it to the ego softening psychedelics induce. When I'm tripping, sometimes I just don't care as much about negative stuff because I don't feel it can really affect me, probably because I don't really feel like I'm too much of "myself", lol. And I've always assumed that is what facilitates the honest and unhindered introspection psychedelics induce. I can think about, for example, the current problems in my life or my own personal flaws, and look at them from an outsider perspective (Pretty sure most people who have tripped can relate to that feeling). I suppose the physiological correlate to that is a lowered amygdalic response to the "negative stimuli" of being confronted with an ugly truth ? That's how I integrated that paper into my own experience, anyway.

Also, since we are talking about it, psilocybin is probably the psychedelic which therapeutic potential has the been most documented, but at the same time I would say is one of the less physically stimulating, which could mean that the therapeutic effect of psychedelics is independent from their motor stimulation. I personally think that the rocketing/fidgeting/nervous movement is actually a result of anxiety or excess energy, and it's not exactly therapeutic but closer to a "coping mechanism", a way of spending disordered psychic energy that would otherwise become anxiogenic.

This quote from a review on the relationship between exercise and mental health also caught my attention:

"As an additional benefit it seems that a subject learns to associate the usual physical symptoms of sympathetic activity and hyperventilation with a normal healthy state, rather than with anxiety, thereby interrupting the feedback loop between the physical sensations and the cognitive appraisal - usually the basis for a panic attack."

I've definitely independently wondered if the sympathetic activity boost of psychedelics could have a similar effect, and it's interesting to see that people are thinking about that with respect to physical exercise as well.

This, however, I definitely agree with. I think that the altered state can sometimes serve as a sort of "exposure therapy", and I've experienced an enhancement of my own capacity for dealing with anxiety since I started tripping. I can recognize it better, and I've learned to manage it better since I've experienced anxiety and its physical symptoms while on psychedelics.

Relevantly, in cognitive-behavioral psychology, some therapists use hyperventilation as a way of activating sensations associated with anxiety and panic attacks. Sometimes this actually triggers a panic attack in people with generalized anxiety disorder. But then they try to isolate the symptom and dissociate it from the psychologic phenomena, and work on tools for controlling the cognitive process associated.

Last edited:
No but really don't batmobile.

It's freaking me out enough that we still have this horseless carriage situation.

I made myself dinner... baked glazed salmon over a bed of rice and stir fried vegetables... it's some sort of fusion of Korean, Japanese and Chinese that I made up, the vegetables are cooked in a thick cause that's a blend of different curry spices (including berbere), onion, and bulgogi (Korean BBQ sauce basically, better than any western BBQ sauce could be though), sweet white miso, mirin, Chinese mature vinegar, tamari, shoyu, and a thick, sweet soy sauce, plus a little chardonnay. The salmon was marinated for an hour in a bl;end of red miso, bulgogi, onions, and various others including toasted sesame oil and baked wrapped in foil, came out with a nice glaze and I poured the rest of the liquid in the foil packet onto the rice.

It's so fucking good, one of the best things I've ever made for sure. I'm even relatively happy with the plating.

DT80kNX.jpg

fiLKkLZ.jpg

IhnMsf9.jpg

That looks really good man it's great to make as many home cooked meals as you can. You have a real talent for cooking and it's a great way to spend time. Eating food is one of the most important things we do as humans. I'd actually eaten a variety of take-out Chinese food some pan fried noodles I think she called it.

Listen to this wacky shit my fiancee up and decided to give me 60mgs of Amphetamine tonight which I will be using throughout my workday tommorow. That stuff makes me so excited to be there and getting things done. When I wake up in the morning I'm going to eat four Tums and then wait 30 mins and take one of the 30mg Adderall pills. That truly does make it WAY STRONGER if you don't believe me try it out one day.

It's finally happened. I've been dreading this. They've started playing Christmas carols at work. I think I heard like 6 different versions of Santa Claus is Coming to Town over the course of a 4 hour shift :/

It's finally happened. I've been dreading this. They've started playing Christmas carols at work. I think I heard like 6 different versions of Santa Claus is Coming to Town over the course of a 4 hour shift :/
I put up with that for so long... it inspired violent thoughts -_- I'm glad I'm out of retail.

Pop Christmas music is absolutely awful. The only Christmas music I'm into is some of the traditional Christian hymns, some of those are really beautiful.

LOL, sounds nightmarish. I actually kinda hate Christmas. All the European-themed iconography is even more absurd here in the South hemisphere, where it's summer time but for some reason it makes sense to paste snowflakes on the windows and display images of an old man wearing a winter suit.

Oh my goodness I know how you feel, since at work the whole place has a stereo system throughout it. They use Spotify and sometimes I hear the same songs over and over. Actually listen to the Jingle Bell Rock as we speak. I'm just trying to keep my mind distracted and ignore the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.