• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

NCAA Football 2006 Thread

cravNbeets said:
congrats to troy smith for taking home the 'kiss of death' by the 3rd largest margin in history. if you need a job at this time next year i think former winner eric crouch is still assitant manager of that hyundai dealer in lincoln;)

Happened to Gainesville's patroned saint Danny Wuerrful.

Come to think of it,Steve Spurrier wasnt too hot in the NFL either. (player or a coach as we all know!)

congrats to troy smith for taking home the 'kiss of death' by the 3rd largest margin in history. if you need a job at this time next year i think former winner eric crouch is still assitant manager of that hyundai dealer in lincoln

TS will be a first round pick in th draft, at least according to the new SI, they have him predicted to go 2nd to the Oakland Raiders, right behind Quinn.

I would like to know why everyone is doubting Troy. He is as accurate as anyone I'v ever seen throw it, his passes are pinpoint spirals, and he rarely makes a bad decision while on the field.

I've heard people say he's not tall enough, but neither was Drew Brees or Doug Flutie, and they have/had pretty good careers.

^^ are suggesting that troy smith is going to play candian football?;)

big ten not lookin so hot in the early going of the bowl season. hopefully the class of the conference changes that.

So proud of My Bulldogs for pushing in the Hokies' shit tonight :)

Looking foreward to a good bowl season, and a great 07 season. =D

as much as it pained me I rooted for your bulldogs tonight, just as I'm rooting for all of our SEC rivals in the bowls this year, It'd probably be a littler harder to root for you guys if we didn't beat you this year, and 15 out of the last 17 other years, but it was still strange.

GO GATORS.

holy fuck did you guys watch the fiesta bowl? The last 2 mins plus the overtime were quite possibly the best I've seen in college football, definitely among the best.

Another case for a playoff system, now we're gonna have Boise State claiming they deserve a share of Florida's title.

can somebody please explain how exactly the conferences, divisions and bowls all work ??? i've only been following 'football' (gridiron to me) for a little while and am confused as fuck ...

for exactly that reason, i'll throw a spanner in the works and say that they should change to a playoff-style championship ...

what does everyone here think re: playoffs versus bowl system ???

clearly i know nothing and don't care too much, but wanted to try promote more discussion than just:
"Go Team X!" - as the latter will probably not inspire the powers that be to add a sports and gaming forum to this site ...

I hate Lloyd Carr and I am a Masochist for the being a Michigan football fan.

Diego Blunt said:
can somebody please explain how exactly the conferences, divisions and bowls all work ??? i've only been following 'football' (gridiron to me) for a little while and am confused as fuck ...

for exactly that reason, i'll throw a spanner in the works and say that they should change to a playoff-style championship ...

what does everyone here think re: playoffs versus bowl system ???

clearly i know nothing and don't care too much, but wanted to try promote more discussion than just:
"Go Team X!" - as the latter will probably not inspire the powers that be to add a sports and gaming forum to this site ...

Well most teams belong to a conference, unlike professional sports the teams/conferences get to choose where they go (teams must be invited by the conference though, not everyone can be in one conference) for example Florida, my team is in the SEC, Mich and OSU are both in the big 10, however Notre Dame still refuses to join a conference largely for monetary reasons (conferences share money and such, so the richer teams give a share of their proceeds to the lesser football programs within their own conference).

As for bowls, each bowl game has tie ins with either a team or a conference, the Aloha bowl always has an open invitation to Hawaii assuming they're bowl elgible (.500+ winning percentage), and the Rose bowl is always the winner of the Pac-10 conference vs the winner of the Big 10 conference (unless the winner of one of those goes to the National championship game as in this year). Same thing with other bowls, winner of SEC goes to Sugar Bowl, 5th in SEC goes to Peach bowl, and many many other tie ins to guarantee conferences teams in bowl games. Sometimes the bids are at-large, meaning the bowl comittee can invite whoever they want to their bowl, in the end it's up to the team to decide whether to accept a bid to a certain bowl. The big bowls are the so-called "BCS Bowls", being the sugar, rose, fiesta and orange. These are the ones giving the big $$, something like $14 million per school. Ad revenue among these and all bowls is huge, virtually all have named sponsors (Tostitos Fiesta bowl, Nokia Sugar bowl, Outback bowl, etc.).

Money is the end reason that a playoff system hasn't formed yet, especially due to the worry among the smaller, lesser football schools that they will be left out and the ad money for small bowls simply wont be there, and all people will care about is the playoff. As a die-hard college football fan I will always be pulling for a playoff system to be instituted, and I think eventually it will be but not for a decade or so unfortunately. It's really the fairest way to do it, and I'm not worried about the monetary effects as my school is one of the powerhouses, and will come out on top no matter what system is instituted.

wow! thank you for taking the time to post such a great reply! i really do think that i get the gist of how the games are structured now (also after a visit to the NCAAsports site) ..
the US college system is the envy of every other nation. in Australia for example, kids go straight from high school onto a professional roster, but must usually sit season after season after season on the bench before they are finally given a proper chance to showcase their skills.
while anything i say on the topic is complete garbage, my initial angle was that the bowl system appears to produce convoluded rankings and although i wouldn't know, may not appropriately determine the best team in the country ...
anyway, i'm really looking forward to watching Florida v Ohio ... and although i'm only a football noob, have developed a reasonable amount of hatred for the latter team ... what kinda name is 'Buckeyes' anyway???
the amount of money involved with this shit is insane! even the biggest of professional sports in Australia is nowhere near competing with the popularity and funds involved in College football.

p.s. - admins, can we please have the sports forum now??? (j/k)

it definitely does not give the most accurate rankings, but I don't know if any system really could based on the fact that there are 119, to play an accurate crossection of the NCAA Div 1A you'd need a 40 game season, something that is just unreasonable.

As unfair as it may be though, the fact that the margins of error are so razor thin in college football it does make the game more exciting. Knowing that Losing just one game may knock you out of title contention, and that two would leave you no chance is thrilling and adds that excitement to every game, and fosters some bitching rivalries. Which is the reason even when I will push for a playoff system I don't want more than an 8 team playoff, it should be an exclusive club and not take away that thrill of every game of the regular season.

*snicker*

*snicker*

Okay, I can't take it any longer....

Bwahahahaha hahahah hhhaahahahaha!!

Michigan wolverines - LOSERS AGAIN!!!

Let's see, LOST last year to Nebraska (who?) before that it was a LOSS to Texas, this year a LOSS to USC!!!

Michigan. Fuckin. Sucks.

Further proof Michigan was never worthy to play in the BCS Bowl Game. Better luck next year, maybe you can get a cupcake team like Baylor or Navy to make yourselves look better.

Lloyd Carr just can't get the post-season job done, or for that matter, win the big game against Ohio State. His sorry ass is 1-5 against Tressel and Ohio State, and let's face it, he hasn't been right since Tressel stepped onto the scene and owned the Big 10.

Go Buckeyes, the pride of the Big 10! =D

finally campus is coming alive again. lets go Buckeyes is all I can say at the moment!

^^I can't wait to get back to gainesville before the game either, I've heard stories of how crazy it was when we won the final four last year, and we're definitely more of a football school than basketball so I can only imagine how crazy it'll be. I'm looking forward to a great game next monday, may the best team win.

Jesus H. Christ on a motherfucking crutch, that Boise State - OKlahoma game was amazing! What a great all-around story. I'll admit, not only did I find their uniforms vomit inducing, I didn't give two shits about Boise State or think they had any chance of winning. Apparently, I am almost always wrong when it comes to sports. I have never, ever seen a hook and lateral play in desperation time work. And not only did that play fall for them, but so did 2 other trick plays! And then the guy who scored the winning 2 point conversion proposed to his girlfriend, the head cheerleader, on national television. That was fucking awesome! Games like these are why I love sports.

And boy, USC looked pretty good. I've maintained all year that when they get their heads in the game, they can play with anybody. There's a very good chance they could beat Ohio State on a neutral field. USC's problem is that they are so good, and so talented that they fall victim to a sense of entitlement and athletic arrogance. They know they can dismantle teams, so they don't even come to play. This is primarily what cost them the championship last year. They didn't take Vince Young seriously. Given the way Pete Carroll recruits and the amount of raw talent coming into USC every year, this is probably going to be his biggest challenge as a coach (that or injuries). It's hard to maintain the hunger when you win all the time.

It was pretty wacky when we won the NCAA Basketball Championship people were climbing stop lights, cops toilet papered down town Gainesville. Cant wait to fucking watch this game. Toolazy, See ya monday !

Michigan was overrated afterall!

I was wrong about a lot of the SEC though...:(

Benefit said:
Jesus H. Christ on a motherfucking crutch, that Boise State - OKlahoma game was amazing! What a great all-around story. I'll admit, not only did I find their uniforms vomit inducing, I didn't give two shits about Boise State or think they had any chance of winning. Apparently, I am almost always wrong when it comes to sports. I have never, ever seen a hook and lateral play in desperation time work. And not only did that play fall for them, but so did 2 other trick plays! And then the guy who scored the winning 2 point conversion proposed to his girlfriend, the head cheerleader, on national television. That was fucking awesome! Games like these are why I love sports.

Easily the game of the year! I can finally be proud of saying that I attended BSU! :D