Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Leonardo DiCaprio - Greatest Actor of Our Generation?

but where has norton really shown a great degree of range?

when he played the mentally retarded janitor in the score.

i would say norton over leo too. i agree that they do feel like different sides of the same flavour but norton has excellent intensity in contrast with his capability to be unassuming whereas dicaprio can't seem to ever turn off the intensity.

i would probably laugh my ass off if dicaprio ever met will smith and someone took a photo. i'm laughing just getting a mental image of this haha. aaah this'll keep me busy on those slow days.

but i digress; i think heath ledger really earns a spot on this list. if being versatile is the name of the game, he's somewhere very near the top because he can do better at that than all the so-called great actors who rely on outrageous theatrics and radical changes of appearance to pull off what ledger could do looking the same way he always did.

agreed on the ledger point. he and some of the other names in this thread have the ability to become a role so that you forget the actor. i'm always conscious of leo being leo and esoecially norton being norton.

Sean Penn, Edward Norton, Jared Leto, Kevin Spacey

I can think of lots of better actors :p

^Jared Leto?!. 8o

He definitely doesn't deserve to be mentioned in this thread imo. :\

River Phoenix would have gone on to create some even more amazing work too. It's just a shame it was all cut terribly short for him. An excellent actor. :(

^^^
I guess its possible, I just loved his performance in RfaD and I havent seen Leo do a role I enjoyed.

I liked Leto in American Psycho, but that's because he was essentially playing himself (a tosser).

You know him personally?

I tend to think Leto is happy to do roles that make him look like an asshole, whereas DiCaprio tends to play the hero. Leto's portrayal of Mark David Chapman in 'Chapter 27' is probably the best example of this. Whether or not he's likeable doesn't affect his ability to act and his choice of roles.

It is much easier to gain public affection if you play likeable characters. Whereas if you tend to play assholes, drug addicts, drug dealers and people with mental illnesses as Leto does, some people confuse your actual personality with an amalgam of your on-screen characters.

The OP compared Leo to De Niro, but really Leto is much more like De Niro if you think about it. He's an under-rated actor (one of those actors people love to hate) but I wouldn't include him as one of the greatest actors of our generation either.

Vincent D'Onofrio is good, Paul Giamatti, Michael Sheen, Crispin Glover (he's not really that great an actor, but he's awesome), Jason Schwartzman...

I don't know that there is a greatest actor of any generation for me.

^^^
I guess its possible, I just loved his performance in RfaD and I havent seen Leo do a role I enjoyed.

Have you even seen the basketball diaries? Leo plays a much more realistic portrayal of a junkie. Check it out.

Best of our generation? Not fucking likely.

I could watch anything with Daniel day Lewis over that hack (Gangs of NY is Lewis's movie imo). From my left foot, In the name of the Father to even Last of the Mohicans all scream quality.

I would also give serious props to Cate Blanchet, Sean Penn, or Johnny Depp. Hell I'd even take Guy Pierce over Leo.

I don't think Depp's a particularly brilliant actor, he's just chosen some good films over the years.

Depp does a lot of whacky commercial films like Pirates of the Carribean, etc. but he also pulls of some really incredible performances IMO. I don't think anybody could have done a better Hunter S. Thompson.

Daniel Day Lewis is over-rated. He's an over actor, he always does melodrama and he always Oscar contender shit.

Depp, despite portraying ridiculous characters, is a better actor I think.

I've never been too impressed with DDL.

His performance in There Will Be Blood was laughable.

i thought DDL hit the mark with both TWBB and GangsONY. Agreed with busty, he fucking owns that scorsese pic.

Anyone mention Robert Downey Jr. yet? One might say he's more of a great personality than a great actor as he usually carries over the same persona from movie to movie. But I always admire someone who can do both comedy and drama equally well.

90% of those method guys can't pull off comedy unless they are playing parodies of themselves. Pesci can, sort of. Penn sometimes but not in a while.

dicaprio is PROFOUNDLY one-dimensional. He's got a good agent, and great scripts walk right up to him, because he's somebody people want to see. He's a shit character actor, though.

ITT: jf comes out of the closet (again) ;).

lol, you're too much. ;)

Downey is pretty impressive..... he was pretty convincing in The Soloist. His sketched-out performance in A Scanner Darkly was great, too.
In Tropic Thunder, well, I just don't know how to describe that performance.....

I wonder if a lot of the kudos given to Robert Downey Jr stem from his public transformation from semiserious actor to walking trainwreck to serious actor......?

Impacto said:
i thought DDL hit the mark with both TWBB and GangsONY. Agreed with busty, he fucking owns that scorsese pic

I'm probably the only person on the planet that thought his performance in There Will Be Blood was more ridiculous than his portrayal of Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York. There was just something off about it, about his accent, his facial expressions. I don't know, I've always found him to be a bit too theatrical for his own good. He's got crazy, intense eyes. He freaks me out. Having said that, My Left Foot is mind blowing.

funkie said:
I wonder if a lot of the kudos given to Robert Downey Jr stem from his public transformation from semiserious actor to walking trainwreck to serious actor......?

Personally I liked the pre-trainwreck RDj. I'd say he's gone from serious actor to trainwreck to sellout. It's not uncommon.

I forgot to mention Sam Rockwell. I love Sam Rockwell.

Casey Affleck, Christian Bale, Ellen Page, Zooey Deschanal, Sam Rockwell, Jake Ghylennenhal (cannot spell that name)

What do you count as "our generation"? going slightly further back, Robert Downey Jr is probably one of my favourite actors ever. I really like Jeff Daniels, Aaron Eckhart, Samuel L Jackson and Kevin Spacey, too.