Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: Great documentaries

alasdairm

Moderator: S&T
Staff member
i'm a big believer in the "fact is stranger than fiction" theory and, as an extension of that, i watch a lot of documentaries. what are your favourite documentaries?

mine include:

hands on a hard body
dark days

mockumentaries are a kind of documentary, have any of you seen the great forgotten silver (directed by peter jackson)?

alasdair

thin blue line

i never really liked bowling for colombine. it is good...i guess...i can understand why it gets such acolades...

I enjoyed the one HBO did titled "Born Rich". It had the Johnson & Johnson heirs son. Donald Thrumps Daughter Ivanka. Some uber rich italian textile count who I thought was really interesting. He said something to the extent of "I am never satisfied with my 2 passions. Sex & Knowledge, Sometimes I find my self reading such amazing philosophy when all I really want is pussy but when I'm getting the pussy I find myself wanting the book"
Any of the HBO docs have been very well done.

hmm, i've been looking for dark days recently - that's the second time it's been recommended to me. and yep, i've seen forgotten silver, it's probably one of my favourite documentaries. the humour in it is just perfect, and being australian, i can really relate to the tongue-in-cheek nz-ness of it :)

some of my other favourites:
sympathy for the devil
awesome awesome awesome documentary by godard about the recording process (and, actually, how the song was conceived) of "sympathy for the devil" by the rolling stones. it's intercut with timely socially relevant footage, which adds to its poignancy. and typical of godard, the camera-work is just fucking amazing.

bowling for columbine
i'm sure everyone knows this...

hearts of darkness: a filmmaker's apocalypse
this is a documentary recorded during the super-long and super-troubled shoot of apocalypse now, recorded by francis ford-coppola's wife. it details everything you could possibly know, and offers some real insight into what was probably one of the most difficult on-location productions ever.

Baraka. Best...documentary...ever. (ok well is it really considered a documentary?) I will ellaborate more tomorrow...

I love watching documentaries and most of the time I would rather watch a documentary than a something fiction. My favorite documetaries are ones based on people with bad drug addictions and how they live their lives. Kinda makes you think. But I can't think of any names right now. I usually just catch them when they air on TV and I haven't seen one in a while........ Does anyone know where to find documentaries like that?

High on Crack Street
A documentary done by HBO a few years ago about a bunch of crack heads in Lowell, Massachusetts

1234: If you're in Melbourne, Dark Days is showing next week at the Hip Hop film festival. Its a great Doco and as a further incentive, DJ Shadow did the score.

I just saw a documentary following a few kids through the juvenile justice system in LA. Really harsh viewing, but worth seeing. Ken Burns is generally class too. I loved his Jazz series

capturing the freedman's is a really interesting documentary about a family of accused child molester's. originally, film makers planned on making a movie about NYC's best clown. and then they found about about the abuse alligations and changed their idea for the documentary.

thin blue line is another good one that someone already mentioned.

spellbound is about the 1999 national spelling bee and about a half dozen contestants in it. i haven't seen this all the way thru, but i was amazed at these children's dedication to spelling. it was a rather funny movie too.

Animalcookie.. you and I have similar tastes

Spellbound and Capturing the Friendmans would both be on my list
Also, I think Middle School Confessionals (I hope that's the correct title) would appear on there as well. It was an HBO Documentary made in mid-late 90's about the life of Middle Schoolers. It reminded me of how I was.

AWESOME THREAD IDEA.

Rockumentaries:

The Last Waltz (dir. Scorcese)
Hard Core Logo
This Is Spinal Tap
FUBAR

:)