⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: Great documentaries

knight_marshall said:
aww i'm more into nature documentaries... anything about big cats, dinosaurs, space... they're my favs...

i saw a bit of one about the Snow Leopard... omg i've never seen something look soooo damn cool... running full pelt down an almost vertical cliff after a deer, neither of them slipping until the leopard takes out the deers legs, at which point the deer falls 10 meters into a river, gets up and walks away, while the leopard sulks at its lost dinner... ahhhh i love it.

as for doco's about humans... well they're more of movies based on real events, but i guess the only two good ones i've seen recently where 'City Of God' and 'The Motorcycle Diaries'... the first being about a photographic journalist's rise from the slums of brazil, the second being about Che and the year he spent travelling South America.
yes, Motorcycle diaries was a great movie, loved it!! but it isn't a documentary.

if you like space/science docs look for The elegant universe

Just watched it again last night, i love the host, the physicist brian greene, he is a doll.

Last edited:
Don't know if its been said but......Darwins Nightmare springs to mind, its about the effects of a new species in Tanzania's lake victoria.... also AIDS:A Global Pandemic comes to mind, its a look at aids patients in their last days of life all over the world, russia, malasia, niger, Congo, you name it, the treatments available to them, the sitation there...Sadly, all the patients died and many were just awaiting death at a hospice. Its not very newsy, but focuses more on the social impact of AIDS and how these people are treated as pariahs in say, russia, but in rural mainland china, they dont cry for aids victems and consider it a sign of god.

i have enjoyed:

touching the void - i know the word 'harrowing' is much overused when describing movies like this, this movie defines the term. i'm not sure i could watch this again.

helvetica - a dociumentary about a typeface? whatever next? this is great.

alasdair

^ Nice bump!

Touching the Void was pretty good. I kind of didn't like Joe Simpson though so that was a bit distracting.

DAM/AGE: A Film with Arundhati Roy

DAM/AGE traces writer Arundhati Roy's bold and controversial campaign against the Narmada dam project in India, which will displace up to a million people. The author of The God of Small Things, which won the prestigious Booker Prize in 1998, Roy has also published The Cost of Living, a book of two essays critical of India's massive dam and irrigation projects, as well as India's successful detonation of a nuclear bomb. In her most recent book Power Politics, Roy challenges the idea that only experts can speak out on such urgent matters as nuclear war, the privatization of India's power supply by Enron and issues like the Narmada dam project.

As the film traces the events that led up to her imprisonment, Roy meditates on her own personal negotiation with her fame, the responsibility it places on her as a writer, a political thinker and a citizen.

As she puts it in DAM/AGE, "The God of Small Things became more and more successful and I watched as in the city I lived in the air became blacker, the cars became sleeker, the gates grew higher and the poor were being stuffed like lice into the crevices, and all the time my bank account burgeoned. I began to feel as though every feeling in The God of Small Things had been traded in for a silver coin, and I wasn't careful I would become a little silver figurine with a cold, silver heart."

The film shows how Roy chose to use her fame to stand up to powerful interests supported by multinational corporations and the Indian government. For her, the story of the Narmada Valley is not just the story of modern India, but of what is happening in the world today, "Who counts, who doesn't, what matters, what doesn't, what counts as a cost, what doesn't, what counts as collateral damage, what doesn't."

In a clear and accessible manner, the film weaves together a number of issues that lie at the heart of politics today: from the consequences of development and globalization to the urgent need for state accountability and the freedom of speech.

It was very moving. I love Arundhati Roy and the work she does. She's a personal inspiration and this film was very telling of those who often go unseen and are constantly silenced in India.

You can watch it on google video

recently i watched two...

1) urban explorers (i can dig this, but some seemed foolish, like one crew goes back to find some underground cellar a few weeks after they almost died from methane gas)
2) young yakuza (anything about the yakuza ill watch.. entertaining, but not great)

i see this thread is entitled "Great documentaries" i wouldn't call either i listed above great, but entertaining nonetheless.

and yea good thread, documentaries are the shiznit.. im go through the pages n' see what others have posted.

au revoir

Though as a science geek I'm biased, Carl Sagan's Cosmos remains my all-time favorite documentary.

Because so many bluelighters seem to be watching Dark Days I checked it out. I have a serious question. Ok, so whenever I ran into or dealt with homeless people in Chicago I honestly could not understand about half of them 50% of the time. Slang and slurred words made it really difficult sometimes, but everyone in the doc is so easy to understand. WTF? Did they just pick the interviews of people who were easiest to understand to the 'ordinary' individual?

i personally thought dark days was boring, stupid, and pointless.

I don't know if all documentaries have to have a point? But yeah, it was sorta boring.

Forbidden Future.

It follows the lives of three young Iranians; a female freestyle skier, a male death metal artist, and a modern artist and examines the culture and the regime that makes it dangerous for them to live as they wish.

I saw this late at night last week, and I was pretty taken aback. The metal guy, in particular was rather eloquent about the need for a revolution, a cultural one - and unsurprisingly his music (released underground) and gigs,(played in soundproofed houses) is built around that message.

Worth a watch if you can find it.

Ken Burn's 8 hour epic on The Civil War is awesome.

Kevin Brownlow's Hollywood is a very moving history of silent film. Many interviews with silent stars while they were still alive. Currently prevented DVD by a bunch of fuckers demanding money for stuff didn't ask money for previously.

Edit: Holy shit! This guy's got the first few episodes of Hollywood up on youtube. They won't stay up long, so if you're at all interest in silent wathc ASAP. Start from the bottom and go up.

Last edited:
Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple

jonestown_l200610201803.jpg

Jonestown was the informal name for the "Peoples Temple Agricultural Project", an intentional community in northwestern Guyana formed by the Peoples Temple, a cult from California led by Jim Jones. It became internationally notorious in November 1978, when 918 people died in the settlement as well as in a nearby airstrip and in Georgetown, Guyana's capital. The name of the settlement became synonymous for the incidents at those locations.

On November 18, 1978, 909 Temple members died in Jonestown, all but two from apparent cyanide poisoning in an event termed "revolutionary suicide" by Jones and some members on an audio tape of the event and in prior discussions. To the extent the actions in Jonestown were viewed as a mass suicide, it is the largest such event in over 1,900 years of history. The incident at Jonestown was the greatest single loss of American civilian life in a non-natural disaster until the incidents of September 11, 2001.

The incident followed the murder of five others by Temple members at a nearby Port Kaituma airstrip, including Congressman Leo Ryan, the first and only Congressman murdered in the line of duty in the history of the United States.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0762111/

It's very distressing to watch some of the survivors talking about the things they witnessed. And that shocking imagery of all those dead bodies shocked me beyond belief. Such a powerful documentary.

The whole thing is on youtube if you're interested.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9

I am a huge doc fan. And I will have to go with Fahrenheit 9/11.
I went 4 and 1/2 years of my life without shedding a tear. I cried like a baby during that.
Can't wait for part 2.

Michael Moore is my hero.
(and Bowling is most def a doc...;) )

DVD_cover.jpg

Mark Borchardt: I was called to the bathroom at the cemetery to take care of something. I walked in the bathroom, and in the middle toilet right there... somebody didn't shit in the toilet, somebody shat on the toilet. They shat on the wall, they shat on the floor. I had to clean it up, man, but before that, for about 10 to 15 seconds man, I just stared at somebody's shit, man. To be totally honest with you, man, it was a really, really profound moment. Cuz I was thinkin', "I'm 30 years old, and in about 10 seconds I gotta start cleaning up somebody's shit, man."

american movie: great docuementary, or greatest docuementary?

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills & the follow up, Paradise Lost 2: Revelations.

Stolen from Amazon:
"The award winning Paradise lost films tell the horrifying true story of the West Memphis three, the notorious American murder case in which 3 arkansas teenagers, with a penchant for black clothes and heavy metal music, were accused and charged with killing three 8 year old boys in a satanic ritual.

Fraught with emotionally charged testimony, allegations of coerced confessions and a lack of physical evidence, the sensational trial prompted many to claim the teens were wrongly convicted in an atmosphere of 'Satanic panic'."

I first saw this a few years ago when Film4 first started in the UK & was blown away by how awful a story it is. Bearing in mind that 3 boys were horrifically killed, the 3 accused have been imprisoned on what seems to be very ropey evidence & is still going on today.

i saw a really cool documentary a few months ago.

it was called Calcutta. it was filmed by a french filmmaker in '67 i believe.

it's almost all unnarrated with some subtitles.

With minimal narration by the director and very little context this is a kaleidoscope of stunning visuals from Calcutta, a city of 8,000,000 in the late 1960's: rich and poor, exotic and mundane, secular and religious, children and adults, animate and inanimate. Given only the images, the viewer can read any meaning she or he wants into the film.

AmorRoark said:
I don't know if all documentaries have to have a point? But yeah, it was sorta boring.

they don't need to have a point, but one sometimes makes them not suck.

:)

[please do not link to sites hosting others' copyright content]

Last edited by a moderator:
i had written for a mag a review that wasn't used about

The corporation

There's something very satisfying about watching a good documentary : that you're not just having a good time, you're also having a useful time. And if at the end of its 2h25, you'd still welcome some more, then you know the combination was a success.

This Canadian documentary from 2003 talks about, congratulations, you've guessed... corporations. They are a dominant institution of our modern world, and they are everywhere : up, down, left, right, they are here, Eeat, sleep, play, read... they sold it to you. This documentary gives us a pretty complete picture of their origin, advantages, flaws, function, and more. It was first planned to be shown in a different format on the Fox channel. But as one of the corporations rightfully attacked in the documentary threatened to sue them, Fox, thinking money rather than information, just fired the 3 employees in charge of the show since they refused to edit the footage (read: lie to their public). So the documentary was independently produced over the next years, which allowed the directors to call a spade a spade. It features a selection from a hundred hours of interviews and four times as much of archive footage, arranged in a very pleasant way, far from the severe style that we may still unconsciously associate with documentaries.

It starts off rather calmly, and you may believe that it will only expose things that you could have guessed on your own, but it quickly reveals many surprises. Because although most people already have the vague notion that big companies don't exactly go hand in hand with human rights and ecology, this intuition may often fall a bit short of elaborated arguments. And that's where The Corporation is a mine of clearly expounded information, full of specific facts and examples that are largely unknown to the public.
It tackles all themes, from the absurdity of laws, which make the bosses personally unaccountable for the damage done by their corporation, to the treatment of employees, paid $0.03 for a shirt that is sold $14.99, to the patterning of life forms or the systematic neglect of their activity's consequences on the consumer's health and on the environment. And you may very well feel a lump in your throat when presented some of the madness that our society has come to because of the greed of a small "elite" only concerned by short-term results.
But even as puzzling is the fact that although these wrongs are sometimes caused by a wilful process (such as falsifying the results of studies that would endanger the sell of a product), they are often just the result of the culprits' ignorance of the situation they have created, or of a discharge of their responsibility to an hypothetic "somebody else".

However, aside from the impeccable report of these facts, the most brilliant feat of the documentary is to show these criticisms come out of the very mouths of some corporations' chief executive officers : the corporations' big bosses.

Information is power; and such a documentary can raise passions, because apart from relating things that are really happening today, behind ours backs, it doesn't just narrate some sorry facts of our society, but also passes a message and tries to trigger a reaction in the viewer. So hopefully, it should cure away any upsurge of pro-wild-capitalism we may have, and as the end credits come down, the word "boycott" may echo in our head.