⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: Great documentaries

The Smashing Machine - The Life and Times of Extreme Fighter Mark Kerr

This is a great documentary that will make you cringe. It is unbelievable how violent these PRIDE fighters are. They don't even seem human.

I don't know if this counts but David Cross' Let America Laugh Is a documentary about one of his stand up comic tours. It's funny and entertaining. Basically he makes fun of all these morons he meets on his tour.

Also a vote for Trekkies

Not sure if this really counts and I'm not going to tell you why but, The True Legend of the Jersey Devil is pretty good its a little strange, but the ending is crazy.

HBO docs are awesome.. I have HBO on demand, new ones come on every week. A Boy's Life, about this somewhat disturbed child, let me know how bad poverty in America can actually get.

Woodstock is one of my favorites.. Comic Book Confidential was a good look into the comic book industry from beginning to present.. Hard Core Logo was an awesome rockumentary, and really well done,IMO.. Manson was an interesting look at the Manson family.. Any Given Sunday was good, even tho i'm not big into racecars... I wouldn't mind seeing Weather Underground, and Wadd: The life and Times of John Holmes...

alasdairm said:
good call. another great documentary in which d.a. pennebaker was involved is the war room which documents bill clinton's 1992 presidential campaign.

alasdair

The War Room was badass . . . I'd also like to add Bush's Brain . . . a film about Karl Rove.

Hands down the best documentary I've ever seen was an hour long, on VH1 and entitled "Guns N Roses: From the Beginning" =D

(or somethin like that)

^ haha, I seen a similar one on Guns N Roses and although I wasn't a fan I had to laugh at how silly that band was/is.

bump!

i recently watched i'm going to tell you a secret. it's a documentary of madonna's 2004 world tour.

i have a fair bot of time for madonna - i enjoy her music and her constant reinvention of herself at very least keeps her interesting.

not only was this an intimate look behind the scenes, it gave a great picture of the relationship between and with her dancers and other co-conspirators. further, any scene with guy ritchie was a joy - he's laid back and funny.

alasdair

Revolution OS (documentary on the rise of linux)
Ecstacy Rising w/ Peter Jennings (don't know if you want to consider that a documentary.. or just a long news report)
Walmart: High Cost of Low Price
Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism
Unprecedented: The 2000 Election
Uncovered: The War in Iraq
Unconstitutional: War on America's Civil Liberties
The Smartest Guys in the Room (on Enron)
The Big Buy: Tom DeLay's Stolen Congress

Minsan Lang Silang Bata (Children Only Once) directed by Ditsy Carolino, a Filipino.

This is an award winning documentary from my country about child labor in the Philippine provinces. The directors recorded small children working under excruciating conditions in slaughterhouses, sugarcane fields, and ship docks in order to add to their family income. Images of the children's carefree joy after release from work capture the essence of childhood and emphasize their plight.

83-1.gif

Directors statement:
It's funny how one film can take you in directions you never imagined. When we began this project, all we wanted was to do an eye-opener on child labor. One that would remove the blinders from viewers so used to seeing child labor as part of the landscape of a developing country.

We started off trying to produce something to convince others. In the end, we came off the biggest converts.

You can't film these children's lives without looking deep into your own and the line of responsibility that links us all. In the end, we found ourselves becoming more than just documentarists; we had turned advocates.We became part of a network of NGOs working against child labor.

The kids we interviewed were articulate, child-like yet mature for their age. The hard life they led built extraordinary characters which translated so well in the documentary form. We marveled at how openly they shared their lives and thoughts with us.

Of course it helped that we were a small crew with very simple equipment. We operated as a two-woman team doing research, camera, sound, script, and PA work altogether. No heavy equipment, no lights, no big guys to intimidate them... This helped the children to open up.

And by simply being themselves, the children generate a tremendous amount of empathy from viewers who are invariably moved by their strength and stoicism, resilience and humor.

This is a heartbreaking documentary....and a piece of work from a fellow countryman that makes me proud. I got a chance to view this during my senior year in University prior to doing a documentary in fulfillment of my thesis and I have not forgotten it since.

dark days, good one alisdairm. iirc, the director lived with them for quite a while, talk about immersing yourself in your work, that would be tough.

children underground is another highly recommended doc, and totally tragic, and pitifully sad.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264476/

aww i'm more into nature documentaries... anything about big cats, dinosaurs, space... they're my favs...

i saw a bit of one about the Snow Leopard... omg i've never seen something look soooo damn cool... running full pelt down an almost vertical cliff after a deer, neither of them slipping until the leopard takes out the deers legs, at which point the deer falls 10 meters into a river, gets up and walks away, while the leopard sulks at its lost dinner... ahhhh i love it.

as for doco's about humans... well they're more of movies based on real events, but i guess the only two good ones i've seen recently where 'City Of God' and 'The Motorcycle Diaries'... the first being about a photographic journalist's rise from the slums of brazil, the second being about Che and the year he spent travelling South America.

I watched Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus a while back and can highly recommend it. Jim White and a film crew travels to the deep south to showcase traditional music from the area as well as the lifestyle these people lead.

It is almost like a different country down there. While I did find it to be somewhat myopic, the music is great and it kept me interested. Definitely not your average documentary.

I really liked 'Buena Vista Social Club'. It's about a group of aging cuban musicians who are reinvented and brought back into action by a man named Ry Cooder. They lay down a CD of some of the most beautiful authentic cuban music you will ever hear and explore their lifes in Cuba as well.

A group of legendary Cuban musicians, some as old as their nineties, were brought together by Ry Cooder to record a CD. In this film, we see and hear some of the songs being recorded in Havana. There is also footage from concerts in Amsterdam and New York City's Carnegie Hall. In addition, many of the individual musicians talk about their lives in Cuba and about how they got started in music.