• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Do you pray?

Cool! :)

It's Rick Doblin, but yeah he's a great guy, he's done so much with MAPS to get MDMA and psilocybin-assisted therapy going again.
Thanks for the correction!

I looked R. Doblin up after my memory scrape-up.

Personally, I have some reservations about MDMA.

I was getting batches of it from Texas in 1984.

The last time with it, I did five hits at once, and was subsequently CONVINCED that I was IN LOVE with a woman I knew.

Turns out.... “a-a-a-achhh!” - Not a working deal, in the AM.

The destructive harvesting of sassafras oil is another issue.

As is the rapacious criminality associated with the whole vibe now.

Sorry. No sale on “X”...

Otherwise, the research community doing so much with psillies, is a great thing, in my opinion.

Bestestestestsst!

-b.

Well most MDMA nowadays isn't made starting from sassafras. Also a regular dose of MDMA under the guidance of a trained therapist (trained to guide people using MDMA) is totally different from just taking 5 hits at once on your own. There was a lot of research done before it got illegalized and many therapists considered it a miracle that could cut years off the time needed in therapy in some cases, especially cases of trauma, such as childhood PTSD. It enables people to face their problems they have always hidden without fear and with self-acceptance. Some people are never able to get there on their own.

I feel kinda strongly about it because my girlfriend suffers from childhood PTSD and it can be really debilitating. She's tried all kinds of things but is holding out hope for MDMA-assisted therapy in the future. There's been a lot of remarkable success in that area.

Well most MDMA nowadays isn't made starting from sassafras. Also a regular dose of MDMA under the guidance of a trained therapist (trained to guide people using MDMA) is totally different from just taking 5 hits at once on your own. There was a lot of research done before it got illegalized and many therapists considered it a miracle that could cut years off the time needed in therapy in some cases, especially cases of trauma, such as childhood PTSD. It enables people to face their problems they have always hidden without fear and with self-acceptance. Some people are never able to get there on their own.

I feel kinda strongly about it because my girlfriend suffers from childhood PTSD and it can be really debilitating. She's tried all kinds of things but is holding out hope for MDMA-assisted therapy in the future. There's been a lot of remarkable success in that area.

You guys are blowing me out!

Great response, and I really like being corrected. -Thank you!

Yeah, I was indiscriminate with the stuff, way back when.

I did fully enjoy it.

I have been advised that I have PTSD myself... I resisted the analysis, but came to accept the diagnosis, after watching myself, and recounting the traumas of my early childhood.

If it wasn’t for psychedelics, albeit self-administered, I rather doubt that I would have had the tools to survive the mind shattering anxiety, and clinical depression, born of the chaos in my formative years.

“Reformative” can, and does happen.

MDMA helped my last real girlfriend too.

Maybe I can get a directed session in a legal setting someday...

an Island somewhere, perhaps.

Thanks, Man...

Sincerely,
Bryan

I think that you may be projecting your own concept of “prayer” over all of this.

These are not ritualized formula, bound by dogma, or any physical building.

It can be a simple expression of respect, for the awesome power of creation that is flowing through you, right now.

The fact that your own mind can process, and conceptualize what you are reading RIGHT NOW, is a wonder in itself.

Reality is an interactive process.

What you BELIEVE, and align yourself with, WILL manifest.

“Prayer” is simply a conscious exercise of focusing your WILL, in resonance with the “BIG IS”.

Maybe, by not being bound by conventional constructs, in any provential ( ? ) way, one can free themselves to be open to broader possibilities.

“Belief”, is a malleable prospect.

We can shape a working energy system, when we acknowledge that there are bigger forces in-play, and that we can align with those forces, at any time, in many ways, and in any place.

Further, and Sincerely:
May God Bless You.

Bryan

My God, where did this person come from? That Sir/Madam is one hell of a post & I have to agree with you in what you say there.

"I think that you may be projecting your own concept of “prayer” over all of this." Well yes I guess your right there, in many ways though everyone is guilty of being trapped in their own "reality tunnel" to steal stuff from Robert Anton Wilson, I really do try though to not do this but being a simple human I fail.

I hope you stick around on here, this forum needs more people like you on it, I wish you a good day.

I do pray at Mass. If I focus on the reading, listen to the Priest, join in the prayers, and concentrate really well, I find I can clear my mind and the words will reach me. The words are already provided, I just need to hear them and feel them. Its simple but takes a lot of effort.

I take it you are Catholic?

I think that you may be projecting your own concept of “prayer” over all of this.

These are not ritualized formula, bound by dogma, or any physical building.

It can be a simple expression of respect, for the awesome power of creation that is flowing through you, right now.

The fact that your own mind can process, and conceptualize what you are reading RIGHT NOW, is a wonder in itself.

Reality is an interactive process.

What you BELIEVE, and align yourself with, WILL manifest.

“Prayer” is simply a conscious exercise of focusing your WILL, in resonance with the “BIG IS”.

Maybe, by not being bound by conventional constructs, in any provential ( ? ) way, one can free themselves to be open to broader possibilities.

“Belief”, is a malleable prospect.

We can shape a working energy system, when we acknowledge that there are bigger forces in-play, and that we can align with those forces, at any time, in many ways, and in any place.

Further, and Sincerely:
May God Bless You.

Bryan

AHXpvLr.jpg

The word prayer has very clear religious connotations.

As for the "awesome power of creation" that's flowing through me...I've not seen any evidence that there's anything "created" flowing through me.

AHXpvLr.jpg

The word prayer has very clear religious connotations.

As for the "awesome power of creation" that's flowing through me...I've not seen any evidence that there's anything "created" flowing through me.

Well then, Dear Mal3volent...

Very glad that we have Mr. Merriam, and Mr. Webster to definitely clarify some terms for us.

It’s always good to make sure that what we think for ourselves, is verified through the pedantic constrictions of somebody else’s interpretations.

This is a planet upon which qualifiable facts determine our destiny, afterall.

Like: the Ptolemaic system.

Hey, was that a neutrino that just zipped right through you?

Did you see it?

I don’t see any evidence of them either!

I don’t “see” the microwaves that are sending supposed “signals” from my little iPhone, all the way to the other side of the planet either.

Energy is everywhere.

Stating that what you can’t see, “can’t exist” rather speaks for itself.

I have a friend who can read my mind... after awhile, it’s no big deal.

My Grandmother visited me after she died... no big deal.

My Father haunted his own house after he died... the POLICE had to file a report because of all the noise.

I can appreciate the need to base a belief system on what is immediately tangible.

It’s practical.

I was a severe skeptic myself.

Basically, I challenged the entity conveniently, and commonly referred to as “God” to prove “Himself” or “It” or else I was gonna commit to Atheism.

Totally SOBER... BTW...

So, something happened to me then.

Like getting hit by a slow bolt of lightening.

A friend saw me shortly after this event, and dropped to his knees.

Do I know what really happened?

No.

Coulda been a psychotic episode.

Hitchhiking back from a Deadshow in Eugene Oregon once, a guy put his hand on my badly damaged knee, ( I was limping badly, with a stick that I found on the lot as a “staff” to hobble along... ) anyway, this guy prayed on my knee.

I let myself believe that it was a “possibility”...

This was 32 years ago.

My knee is still healed.

Maybe being malevolent, is a defensiveness against what IS an often very mean, ruthless, and cold world.

Me too!

But there’s other stuff, as well.

Stare in a mirror, directly into your own eyes, and hold it till everything goes black.

Breath, hope, wish...

Give something to someone who doesn’t “deserve” it, and don’t expect anything in return.

Doing something nice, can be a form of prayer.

I can’t see my own thoughts, but I know they are there.

I can’t see sound waves, but I can hear.

Photons are divisible as particals, and come in waves...

What else could be true, that we don’t see?

A prayer can be a little ripple on the still water.

I just sent you one.

God is like a placebo drug. If you believe it’s working then it’s working. If you don’t it won’t.

Thank you @flabberghost for the well wishes.

People are free to interpret words however they wish. But they do have objective meaning. To determine the objective meaning of words, most would agree that the dictionary is a valid source.

I've heard the argument you're making about not being able to see many things we know are real. Like a million times. But microwaves and neutrons and energy have been observed and verified in other ways other than sight. God, creation, etc have yet to be objectively verified in any way whatsoever.

If something changes on that front, I will reconsider.

But yes, the word prayer has religious connotations. I don't think meditating or self reflection qualifies.

Last edited:
I take it you are Catholic?
Dig.

We all have our own methods of connecting.

It’s ALL an effort.

Faith is an arduous exercise sometimes.

I lapse into the hard, cold, and immediately provable “reality”, frequently.

I go to “doubts”... but never disbelief.

Yes, I was a practicing Catholic... Altar Boy, private school, the whole bit...

The dogma of the Catholic Church got to be a bit much for me... as did the psychotic lesbian nuns.

Never mind the closeted pedophile priests around me.

I’m more of a Pantheist now, if there’s such a word.

A bit of Buddhism, Christianity, Dadaism, and motorcycle maintenance.

I believe in gravity.

Later, Hoss!

( Namaste )

God is like a placebo drug. If you believe it’s working then it’s working. If you don’t it won’t.

Inneresting premise.

Yah, believing it will be where it looks like it is, is good.

Personally, I believe in gravity.

If I would choose not to, would everything that I know of float away?

( Some things just “IS”, whether you would rather not acknowledge, or do. )

Oooogha-BOOgha!

“Only the presently, readily quantifiable aspects of reality exist.”

What else is there?

So you can’t think of anything?

I believe in things that are real.

When you find out, for yourself, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks a lot, in advance...
Dude... come-on, okay?

If there isn’t anything beyond what you already know, and you don’t want to look, why are you reaching out with questions?

It’s counterintuitive.

Ironic, even.

Are you suggesting, that to stop thinking, and quit looking, is a good thing?

If I may ask, how old are you ?... in terms of earth years... ( not the carbon in your body )

Look straight-up, at night, sometime soon.

Any idea how BIG that is?

Or, what goes on up there?

Clue: Large.
Clue: NOBODY knows.

Later...