Training Log Aerobic vs anaerobic training strategies

I moonlight as a lifeguard so I’m fortunate enough to be around water a lot. Still suck tho lol

That's one thing that steered me away from swimming is that I just can't get the technique right and don't really have a pool or water to practice. I sink like a rock too with the muscle mass I have so I gotta kick my legs super hard to keep my lower body afloat lol
Took swimming as one of three sports needed for my GCSE PE practical exam as I had sum competitively and was told I was too top heavy to swim properly and my legs acted as anchors.... still got an A* though so Miss can suck it. It's an awesome low impact way to get the cardio in and the budgies on haha

That's one thing that steered me away from swimming is that I just can't get the technique right and don't really have a pool or water to practice. I sink like a rock too with the muscle mass I have so I gotta kick my legs super hard to keep my lower body afloat lol

I'm sure you could get it eventually. Even Andreas Munzer did laps in the pool and that dude probably had zero buoyancy to his body in water. Then again he also did cardio with an oxygen mask on...

They make those leg floaty things (pull buoy I believe is the proper term) you pinch between your thighs. Probably wouldn't have to buy one, every pool i've been at has them for people to use

sep 16 2020

recovery day
stretching, upper body resistance bands, mobility work

I'm thinking Mon/Wed/Fri will become my recovery days. Utilizing the other days of the week for the bulk of work a. fits better into my class schedule and b. allows recovery days to bookend the weekend days which is when I have the most time to train.

I specifically use the word recovery as opposed to rest since rest to me implies doing nothing. Recovery for me involves avoiding race specific training (swim, bike, run) and instead working on other training (like strength, mobility, and flexibility).

Planning for a hard ride tomorrow morning :)

sep 17 2020

bike
25-30 miles 17.4 mph avg pace.

Strava didn't log anything for the first part because it glitched out but I'd estimate it was at least a 25 mile ride probably closer to 30. Didn't really look at my HR too much as once again it was the legs fatiguing before the lungs were. I need to keep working on climbs to build more power in the legs. Overall great ride though

Sep 19 2020

brick workout
Parking deck climbs 8x &. 15 min tempo run

2.5 mile warmup on the ride to the parking deck. 9 story deck climbed 8 times at maximal power output. 2.5 mile maximal effort home. 15 min tempo run immediately after to train for the transition during race. Didn’t post yesterday as I just did stretching and stuff throughout the day and I was super busy. You’ll have to forgive me 🙃

im starting how to realize how much of “going anaerobic” has to do with sloppy form. Eg. mashing the pedals on the bike or the classic trot on the run. But when you are exerting force through your whole body and most importantly regulating your breathing and not gasping you can really push your max but stay “aerobic”

Sep 20 2020

Bike
40 mins steady state on the trainer

had plans to swim today. Woke up to uncontrollable sneezing/runny nose and a sore throat that’s developed over the day. Decided that it’s not right to risk exposing folks at the poilif I’m infected with COVID so I stayed home. Getting tested tomorrow. I did 40 mins of steady state on the bike trainer since that’s all I have at home to train really. It sucks because you can’t put down much power on it without it being super loud and pissing off the neighbors. better than sitting on the couch I suppose...

Last edited:
sep 21 2020

recovery day
stretching, foam rolling, light bike around town for some errands

Got tested today. Results should be back in about 3 days. Feeling better so maybe it was just allergies but better to be safe than sorry. Guess I'll be kicking it on the trainer these next couple days...

Sep 22 2020

strength
bodyweigjt and resistance band routine

test came back negative tonight. About to head to bed though so I’m just gonna take the routine I did this morning and call it a day. Excited to run tomorrow without fearingthat I’m spreading the virus

Sep 23 2020

bike
Strength workout on the fixie. ~ 5 miles.

had an exam today i was way underprepared for. Unleashed my frustration after by going balls to the wall around the city

Sep 22020

run
2.5 mi. 6:06 pace. < 130 bpm HR

maximal race pace effort. Feels so good to run fast. And I’ll admit once again this one was fueled by anger

Sep 25 2020

rest day

after the two hard workouts I’mforcing myself to recover. Although they were both short they were very intense. I think that’s gonna be the biggest challenge is not “chasing the dragon”. I’m also debating whether or not to continue with morning workouts or switch to nights. A mixture of both may be optimal for my general mood

Update^

i decided to go for a quick swim right before the pool closed. really for the mental aspect, things have just been rough for me lately. I took things easy unlike the previous days. I’ve successfully managed to reduce my stroke from breathing every 3 strokes to every 5. Building up the lactate tolerance maybe?

Sep 27 2020

swim
Strength workout 1200 yds. 115 avg HR

used paddles and the kickboard a lot today. My kick is especially weak so I need to work on it more. Lazy Sunday tomorrow

Update^

i decided to go for a quick swim right before the pool closed. really for the mental aspect, things have just been rough for me lately. I took things easy unlike the previous days. I’ve successfully managed to reduce my stroke from breathing every 3 strokes to every 5. Building up the lactate tolerance maybe?
Could also be other adaptations taking place as well such as increased RBC. Overall it's a plus lol

Exactly lol can’t complain. Over winter I’ll probably be doing a lot more swimming so we’ll see how things progress

sep 28 2020

swim
easy day. 1200 yds. ~85 avg HR

low intensity recovery day. gonna go for a hard run tomorrow. so much for my weekly routine lol. i've always felt better just training by feel than a set plan though so i'm not too concerned.

I saw a physical therapist today too. i've been having neck pain on the bike, likely due to poor fit on the bike he says. i have an appointment with another PT who does bike fits in two weeks (earliest he had). he gave me some band exercises to do in the meantime.