Training Log Aerobic vs anaerobic training strategies

Since you're training as an ultra endurance athlete it would actually be counter-productive to strength train unfortunately. Well it's not optimal should I say. You'll have diminished strength gains, due to the interference effect if you want to look into it. Though if that's a non-issue, then by all means it's OK!

Hmm maybe I’ll just stick to swimming or intense body weight intervals that get the HR up? So it’s still “endurance” just a different muscle set being used?

I can just feel myself getting weaker (in my upper body that is) and I’d like to put a stop to that if I can.

Hmm maybe I’ll just stick to swimming or intense body weight intervals that get the HR up? So it’s still “endurance” just a different muscle set being used?

I can just feel myself getting weaker (in my upper body that is) and I’d like to put a stop to that if I can.
I'd believe you can improve strength to a decent degree. It would just be at a slower rate than someone who doesn't train endurance. I'm not sure where the diminishing returns lie in the interference effect, like how far above baseline muscle does it start really making an impact. I'd imagine to maintain "normal" mass it won't make much difference or even going slightly above.

Since you're training as an ultra endurance athlete it would actually be counter-productive to strength train unfortunately. Well it's not optimal should I say. You'll have diminished strength gains, due to the interference effect if you want to look into it. Though if that's a non-issue, then by all means it's OK!
I completely agree

Little update I guess:

did a 4 mile trail race yesterday. relatively flat with a one large climb. I finished 14th with a 6:07 pace

my stomach was churning from about the 2 mile mark on. I nearly vomited at the finish line. Granted, i experimented with 50 mg caffeine before the race and I think this was a mistake. Will not be doing that at the 50 miler in a 1.5 weeks…

Little update I guess:

did a 4 mile trail race yesterday. relatively flat with a one large climb. I finished 14th with a 6:07 pace

my stomach was churning from about the 2 mile mark on. I nearly vomited at the finish line. Granted, i experimented with 50 mg caffeine before the race and I think this was a mistake. Will not be doing that at the 50 miler in a 1.5 weeks…
Very nice on the trail race!