Training Log Aerobic vs anaerobic training strategies

Oct 1

recovery run. 7 miles. 8:20 pace

Took things low and slow today. Beautiful sunny and cool fall morning. I struggled with actually keeping it a recovery run as I kept speeding up subconsciously and then having to slow myself down

Oct 1

recovery run. 7 miles. 8:20 pace

Took things low and slow today. Beautiful sunny and cool fall morning. I struggled with actually keeping it a recovery run as I kept speeding up subconsciously and then having to slow myself down
It's a beautiful day here in the Midwest as well. I'm. Not much of a runner but the weather where I am is perfect running weather, minus the pollen because of my seasonal allergies lol

Hahaha im a Zyrtec fiend. I take one 10 mg every night and it keeps the allergies at bay for the most part. But if I forget to take it for a couple days in a row the rebound allergies are horrible

oct 2 2020

tempo run
20 min time trial 115 avg HR

Time trial like tempo run. Didn;t bring phones to track distance, I just felt like running. Judging by my pace/knowledge of the area it was probably a 5k though. I should do an actual timed 5k and mile run soon so i have some metrics to use at the end of this training cycle in the spring

oct 4 2020

bike trainer
40 mins. first half ez, second half @ threshold. ~ 60/130 avg HR

40 min trainer workout. first half was very easy (sub 60 HR) and for the second half I bumped up to 130 bpm. That 130 number seems to be my highest sustainable HR for any substantial length of time. I 'm wondering how high I can push that number. I can at least feel that my power output is a lot higher than when I first bought this bike lol

Also, I know i've been slackin a bit on this journal. I've been working out late at night like right before bed and I normally just eat, shower, and pass out. From now on I will make more concentrated effort to keep with this log even when tired - mostly for own sanity.

oct 6 2020

bike
15 miles. ~100 avg HR

Didn't track time as i forgot to turn on strava, I just know how down the trail from my house I was. Quick intesne workout

i found a MTB race happening on Saturday that I just signed up for. SOOOOOO excited to race lol, i thought 2020 would have none. Never raced mountain bike before but I do love it so it should be fun. it's an 18 mile hilly course. Gonna do a short notice taper this week so I'm fresh for Saturday. Woohooooo lol

oct 6 2020

bike
15 miles. ~100 avg HR

Didn't track time as i forgot to turn on strava, I just know how down the trail from my house I was. Quick intesne workout

i found a MTB race happening on Saturday that I just signed up for. SOOOOOO excited to race lol, i thought 2020 would have none. Never raced mountain bike before but I do love it so it should be fun. it's an 18 mile hilly course. Gonna do a short notice taper this week so I'm fresh for Saturday. Woohooooo lol
Dude that sounds badass! I live in a flat fucking state so I gave up mountain biking years ago. Once I finish school and gtfo out of here it'll definitely be back in my life

Dude that sounds badass! I live in a flat fucking state so I gave up mountain biking years ago. Once I finish school and gtfo out of here it'll definitely be back in my life
Yeah dude it’s such an incredible sport. I hope you have it back soon lol it’s such a freeing experience. I did a lot of road cycling this summer after I bought my road bike back in June so I’m thinking all the base miles I did back then will come in handy and then the intensity stuff I’ve been doing lately should help with staying competetive. The field of racers seems to be small so I’m hoping to take a podium spot if I can. How much longer in school do you have, and what are you studying?

Oct 8 2020

bike
6 mi. <100 avg HR

just a short recovery ride to spin the legs out and keep em moving. Was in low gears the whole way so very little muscle strain

oct 9 2020

rest day

Been prepping the bike with some last minute mechanical tweaks. I've been carb loading the past 3 days or so and staying very well hydrated. Gonna foam roll tonight like I always do and then that's it before the race (other than warmup right before). Feeling like this is gonna be good one...

oct 9 2020

rest day

Been prepping the bike with some last minute mechanical tweaks. I've been carb loading the past 3 days or so and staying very well hydrated. Gonna foam roll tonight like I always do and then that's it before the race (other than warmup right before). Feeling like this is gonna be good one...
Good luck man! Let us know how it goes

Welp I took a DNF

The course was super technical. Way too technical for me at least. Most of the other guys there agreed that it was brutal, even the couple pros that were there. I got one of the two laps in and had to call it. Fitness was no issue, but without the skillz I couldn’t pay the bills. My hand is swollen after some falls so I’m gonna go get an x ray. Good fun though, and very much a learning experience

Welp I took a DNF

The course was super technical. Way too technical for me at least. Most of the other guys there agreed that it was brutal, even the couple pros that were there. I got one of the two laps in and had to call it. Fitness was no issue, but without the skillz I couldn’t pay the bills. My hand is swollen after some falls so I’m gonna go get an x ray. Good fun though, and very much a learning experience
Hope the hand isn't anything too serious man.

thanks man the hand is fine. i haven't been on here much the past week because honestly i need an internet detox. BL is probably one of the healthier online outlets but i still just need to take some time away. i'm still keeping a log of my own for workouts. i'll be back soon enough but i just gotta step off for a while

thanks man the hand is fine. i haven't been on here much the past week because honestly i need an internet detox. BL is probably one of the healthier online outlets but i still just need to take some time away. i'm still keeping a log of my own for workouts. i'll be back soon enough but i just gotta step off for a while
I get it man lol. Whenever I need breaks, BL is the only place I come as the subforums seem rather untouched by the world around us.

Whats up guys I’m back. I just needed some short lived clarity for a while, nothing personal ;)

So for today...

run
30 mins. First 1/2 ez, second 1/2 threshold. 130 avg hr

Tried this run fasted just to experiment. Oddly enough my performance didn’t feel hindered and actually the mental clarity may have even helped. The first half was very light, almost a warmup and then the second half was on the anaerobic brink. For some reason there was very little fluctuation in HR between these two states. It went from ~120 up to ~130. Perhaps my watch has a shitty monitor but it still is strange. Not sure if it’s a good thing or bad thing lol