Training Log Aerobic vs anaerobic training strategies

Run
40 mins. 50/50 ez/maximal. 130/155 avg HR

was initially gonna be all an easy run but I ran into an old friend out there and I stopped to talk for 10 or so minutes. Had to cook it back home to get to work in time lol

Run
40 mins. 50/50 ez/maximal. 130/155 avg HR

was initially gonna be all an easy run but I ran into an old friend out there and I stopped to talk for 10 or so minutes. Had to cook it back home to get to work in time lol
Part of me is curious about your substrate usage now.compared to before with an RQ test.

Hmm I honestly have no idea. Probably was very much based on carbohydrate, I never fasted before runs and would often bring some raisins or dried apricots to fuel during the run. These past two runs have been fasted (15 hrs after last eating) but I haven’t noticed any loss in performance which could indicate fat burning though I also likely have adapted to have rather large glycogen stores so who knows. If I i had the funds for testing I would love to (I’ve wanted to know my vo2 max for a long time) but i don’t think I can afford that luxury right now

Hmm I honestly have no idea. Probably was very much based on carbohydrate, I never fasted before runs and would often bring some raisins or dried apricots to fuel during the run. These past two runs have been fasted (15 hrs after last eating) but I haven’t noticed any loss in performance which could indicate fat burning though I also likely have adapted to have rather large glycogen stores so who knows. If I i had the funds for testing I would love to (I’ve wanted to know my vo2 max for a long time) but i don’t think I can afford that luxury right now
Got a university nearby with an exercise physiolgy department? I know my school accepts volunteers fairly frequently to do research especially higher level athletes (triathletes, iron man competitors, etc). Reminds me I need to email my department head about using the dexa lol

Hmm yeah my school has one for sure. I’m gonna see if they have any ongoing studies that might be interesting

Hmm yeah my school has one for sure. I’m gonna see if they have any ongoing studies that might be interesting
I'd just reach out to the department. Who knows, maybe they need someone like you to start a research study and you'll be able to get subsequent testing done easily.

nov 4 2020

run
40 mins / maximal / 145 avg HR

Picked a route with lots of hills and stairsets. Hitting some different muscle groups probably couldn't hurt. Did this one ~2 hours after a small meal (apple, 2 handfuls of nuts, and a few dried apricots). Sluggish isn't the right word, but i didn't feel as light on my feet as on the past two runs (both done fasted)

Nov 5 2020

recovery day

just some light bike commuting to work and to run some errands. Rest the legs after 3 days of intense running...

nov 9 2020

run
60 mins. (about 7 miles) ez. ~145 BPM

So i'm gonna be honest with yall - i've been straight depressed these past few weeks and not keeping up with my plan as i intended. Missing probably 2-3 workouts per week. I can barely bring myself to leave the house at times. Having to go to work forces me to ride my bike there and some days that's all i can manage. The stress of school and work and paying bills has really gotten to me. At the start of it i used substances to cope but we all know how that story ends. I've quit the drugs for the past 4 days and i do feel better but it's still an uphill battle. Basically, i'm just trying to say that right now the mental isn't all there

And everyone here in SIED knows that the mental and physical are inseparable. For now i'm just gonna try to take both aspects one day at a time. Missing workouts made me feel like shit which then made me feel even worse and the cycle would continue. But this isn't how i wanna live

The long slow run today helped clear me up and i actually had a really good study session this morning. Here's to day one instead of "one day"

nov 9 2020

run
60 mins. (about 7 miles) ez. ~145 BPM

So i'm gonna be honest with yall - i've been straight depressed these past few weeks and not keeping up with my plan as i intended. Missing probably 2-3 workouts per week. I can barely bring myself to leave the house at times. Having to go to work forces me to ride my bike there and some days that's all i can manage. The stress of school and work and paying bills has really gotten to me. At the start of it i used substances to cope but we all know how that story ends. I've quit the drugs for the past 4 days and i do feel better but it's still an uphill battle. Basically, i'm just trying to say that right now the mental isn't all there

And everyone here in SIED knows that the mental and physical are inseparable. For now i'm just gonna try to take both aspects one day at a time. Missing workouts made me feel like shit which then made me feel even worse and the cycle would continue. But this isn't how i wanna live

The long slow run today helped clear me up and i actually had a really good study session this morning. Here's to day one instead of "one day"
I definitely get that man. Try not to look at missing workouts as failing, but succeeding in addressing your mental health. Your mental health will affect your quality of life much more than your physical health will right now so focus your efforts there. Good on you for making the changes you need to do even if they don't feel the best immediately. You can always check out The Dark Side (TDS) and Sober Living (SL) subforums as well as they address these issues much more than we do here. I know I benefited greatly from my time there when times were tough and the community was always supportive and loving. I owe my life to herbivore over in TDS as she is the kindest person I've ever met and very wise and experienced in life.

I definitely get that man. Try not to look at missing workouts as failing, but succeeding in addressing your mental health. Your mental health will affect your quality of life much more than your physical health will right now so focus your efforts there. Good on you for making the changes you need to do even if they don't feel the best immediately. You can always check out The Dark Side (TDS) and Sober Living (SL) subforums as well as they address these issues much more than we do here. I know I benefited greatly from my time there when times were tough and the community was always supportive and loving. I owe my life to herbivore over in TDS as she is the kindest person I've ever met and very wise and experienced in life.
thanks man. i've reached out on TDS once but i think i'll start interacting on there a bit more

nov 11 2020

run
15 mins. maximal effort. 145 avg Hr

retroactive report as i did this last night actually before bed. i'm very pleased that my maxima efforts are not going into my highest HR zone (which is about 180) i'm thinking this reverse periodization could work well for long distance ultramarathons this summer maybe

AlthoughtI think i'm going to buy a chest based HR monitor so i can get better data since i don't my watch is always accurate. Once the christmas cash comes in a bit i may make the upgrade...

nov 13 2020

swim. ez. 105 avg HR

quick swim because i've been ignoring my upper body lol. i am feeling a bit better mentally as time goes on. i'm starting therapy next week which i've never done before. The TDS community is extremely supportive and welcoming. thank you for mentioning that @Serotonin101

I'm glad to hear it man. There's nothing wrong with therapy, it helped me tremendously in working through ptsd and other problems I have. I found it to be very humbling and rewarding. Good luck my friend.

Nov 16 2020

run
4.5 mi. 7:04 pace. 130 avg hr

I don’t think i would classify this as “maximal”. My legs felt like a ton of bricks today for some reason. Could be because I’ve been working out at night recently and this was my first morning in a while. Or that I didn’t eat breakfast beforehand. But then when I looked at my times after they are on par with my normal max efforts for this sort of distance. Probably just mental then 🤷

Nov 18 2020

run
4 mi. 6:26 pace. 155 avg HR

Done fasted (Monday was too actually). Legs felt springier today not weighed down like the last one. The giant bowl of rice I had 1.5 hrs before bed probably played a role lol

Oh and i looked into research labs to get some metrics done at but none of them were taking volunteers and the one that did do testing charged $200 for it lol

Last edited:
Nov 20

run
3.5 miles. Ez. Forgot to check HR oops

Beautiful day. Took a nice slow relaxed one

Nov 20

run
3.5 miles. Ez. Forgot to check HR oops

Beautiful day. Took a nice slow relaxed one
I need to get back to the point where 3.5 miles is an easy run lol. Once I start to diet down, I'll experiment with different training protocols for increasing cardio capacity and try to do what you're doing to add more data