• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

NA/AA/rehab sayings that you like or hate

Tommyboy

Bluelight Crew
I was just thinking of all of the saying that you hear in NA/AA or other treatment places. Most of them end up becoming really annoying if they aren't to begin with.

So what are some of your most or least favorite?
Do you have any that are unique to the treatment facility that you attend(ed)?

One that I actually like that I heard in outpatient a while back is:

"It is not a sin to fall down, but it is a sin to not get back up" or something like that.

I hated hearing "90 meetings in 90 days," probably because I knew I was never going to do that.

What was the "two sickies don't make a _____"? I know there's a lot of variations of that one.

I was just thinking of all of the saying that you hear in NA/AA or other treatment places. Most of them end up becoming really annoying if they aren't to begin with.

So what are some of your most or least favorite?
Do you have any that are unique to the treatment facility that you attend(ed)?

One that I actually like that I heard in outpatient a while back is:

"It is not a sin to fall down, but it is a sin to not get back up" or something like that.

I hated hearing "90 meetings in 90 days," probably because I knew I was never going to do that.

What was the "two sickies don't make a _____"? I know there's a lot of variations of that one.

Two sickies don't make a "wellie", meaning two newly recovering addicts shouldn't date one another because it will likely end up with them both relapsing. I don't agree with 99% of AA/NA but I do agree with that statement. It's just common sense though, really.

you can do it but you cant do it alone.

some are sicker than others.

I did "90 in 90" but here's some faves:
On Honesty: "You're as sick as your secrets."
On Relapse: "I know I've got another drunk in me, but I don't think I've got another recovery."
On Reluctance (and hating to be at the AA/NA meeting): "Keep coming back, it'll work if you work it."
On Staying Clean/Sober: Take it "one day at a time", "Easy Does It", "Just don't take that first drink," "Think, Think, Think,"
On figuring out you had a problem: "I didn't get in a fight, wreck my car or go to jail every time I drank...but, every time I was in a fight, wrecked my car or did go to jail I was drinkin'"
On dealing with daily life when sober: "I no longer have a drinking problem, I've got a thinking problem."
On helping others get sober:"You can't keep it (sobriety) until you're willing to give it away."
And my personal favorite when none of the other sayings worked (and this one did over time and lots of meetings): "Fake it till you make it!"

I often obsessively pursue feeling good, no matter how bad it makes me feel.

one of my favs.

"A belly full of booze and a head full of recovery don't mix."

Boy was that saying the truth. AA ruined my care free drunken ways free of guilt.

I miss my ignorance.

I like the platitudes n cliches,e.g a client will say i fuckin hate this rehab i feel like i'm being brain washed,and some smart arse will turn around n say ,look how dirty n messed uo ur brain is,if icould take it out n wash away the shit i would

is anyone here for their first, second or third meeting since their last solid bowel movement.....hehehe

"Don't come to our meetings to prowl on vulnerable women."

"Don't come to our meetings high."

lul

I cant stand a whole lot of em but Ill just name a couple here.

I think the #1 worst one for me is

"It works if you work it"
And the second part of it, that they dont say but that they all mean which is "If it aint working, its becuz YOU aint workin it." I hate the idea that if you do the program and it aint workin, that the problem aint with the program, the problem is with YOU. Like they cant possibly accept the idea that for some people NA just dont work. the truth is that it aint for everybody. but "it works if you work it" totally dismisses that idea, and just assumes that anybody who aint succeeding with NA is "doin it wrong." they blame the individual--no way that the PROGRAM could be flawed, na, its the person in the program with the problem.

I aint down with the idea that the program is flawless and DOES and WILL work "as long as you do it right." its fucked up becuz the whole thing in the 12 steps is recognizing your flaws and admittin that you aint perfect but yet when it comes to this shit , none of the program folks that ive met wanna accept that maybe the PROGRAM aint perfect neither. Na, the program is perfect and could never be wrong and will always work for everybody, and the only way that it wouldnt work would be if a person didnt "work" it "right".

another one i aint a fan of is one that i forget the exact wording cuz theres a few diff. versions of it. but basically the idea that

"two recovering addicts cant have a healthy relationship and if they try it will end up in relapses, drama and trouble." or "two addicts who are together and want to get clean have to break up and go their seperate ways to be able to get clean successfully" or "No matter how much you love each other you have to break up to get clean and you need to stay apart to succeed in life and stay clean" and etc.
shit, tell that to me and my man. we were together before dope, got on dope together and spent years as useless , pathetic junkies shootin dope like it was our job and wastin our lives for a long time.we went thru the whole thing together and our relationship was fuckedup in some ways but we stayed together and even tho there was some major trouble we managed to make it thru.
eventually we had enough, i got clean and for a few weeks he wasnt with it, so he kept gettin high. i didnt have no problem with him doin that tho, we are 2 different people, so i didnt relapse or resent him or nothin. he saw how good i was doin and got with it a few weeks after me and that was it, both of us successfully got off dope and been together since. it been 7 years altogether and we got a kid now. And we had a long history of usin all kind of drugs together for many years, so accordin to NA thats a habit that shoulda been way too hard for us to break.but here we are.And dont get me wrong I know that people who met in rehab and barely know eachother except to get high and fuck, that relationship prolly doomed. but the " no addict relationships/addicts cant get clean together in a relationship" etc sayings apply to all relationships between addicts, even longterm ones, so they aint exactly got the right idea with this one.

"Jails institutions and death"
Oh, fuckin please. Yea, lots of addicts end up in a fucked up place if they dont try to stop at some point. I aint sayin we all end up with great lives or nothin like that. BUT, the way that i always heard it, they are sayin that WITHOUT NA, you will end up in jails institutions and death. LOTS of people get clean without the steps and are doin just fine and not in any of those 3 places.
Also, the idea that any addict can NEVER use ANY drug again without endin up in jail rehab or dead, is a takin it a lil bit far. I aint gonna get into the argument of whether or not addicts can get clean and then use their DOC occasionally as a recreational thing (even tho i was able to and know people who also can) becuz thats a whole nother thread.But, i think we all CAN agree that there is tons of recovered addicts who are totally able to smoke a blunt or drink some beers once in a while and enjoy that shit without endin up back as a dopehead, etc.
But not according to this saying tho. Its a mad black and white idea--you get with NA and you will be OK--you dont get with NA and try to get clean on your own without gettin professional help/12 step help, you wont succeed and will end up locked up, in rehab, or dead. or, if you get clean and attempt to ever get fucked up on anything ever again, even somethin that you never been addicted to and never had a problem usin responsibly, and you gonna end up in jail rehab or dead, no exceptions.

I could do more but Ima come back later, i aint tryna make this post be mad long, at least longer than it already is.

another one that aint really a saying but is a rule of NA, is the "no sharing if you have used ANY drug of ANY kind for ANY reason today" at meetings.

I dont think its all that fair, but no matter how i feel about it or think about it, i can at least understand why they dont want nobody noddin their ass off on dope sharing at a meeting. it makes sense at least.

But they dont even want you to share or speak at the meeting if you on methadone or sub. They consider a person on maintenance to be "on drugs" and not allow them to share becuz anybody whose "intoxicated" aint allowed to speak.

its a totally different thing if you wake up in the mornin and dose your meth or sub and are stable on it . they wouldnt even know if you took that shit unless you told them , shit. Not allowin you to share is a shitty thing to do to a person especially if you actually want to. for me, i dont care I aint down with NA, so it dont bother me. But for a person who really is into the 12 step shit and wants to be a part of it and is on meth or sub, and then they tell you that you aint allowed to share becuz you took "mind altering drugs" today so your input aint wanted, becuz "we want to hear YOU, not the DRUGS!" 8( That could fuck somebody up, make em be like yo, fuck this, i dont wanna be part of this if yall gonna be like that, and it could turn somebody away from gettin clean.

Also, how bout people on pain meds? ive met a few people in meetings who had chronic pain. You sure as hell aint gettin high on those meds if you got a legit problem. you barely even get enough pain releif nevermind have enough leftover to get anywhere near high. If you got legitimately scripted meds and you aint abusing em and aint gettin high, you aint intoxicated, your mindset aint changed by drugs (except in a way that you feel normal instead of like killin yourself from the pain) and you are actually your real self for once. So in that case NOT bein on your meds would fuck you up more than taking them but yet they dont wanna hear from you neither.

Like i said...one thing to be drunk-ass and ramblin on about some drunk-ass shit in your slurredhalf passed out voice. Or to be noddin out in the midle of your sentence cuz u booted dope in the bathroom before the meeting. Then not lettin u share makes a decent amount of sense. but to tell people who are clean, who aint abusin drugs or gettin high, who are just on methadone, sub, or painkillers so they can live a normal life and aint nowhere near "intoxicated", to get pushed out of the circle and told that they aint allowed to speak, thats really fucked up IMO, and is just one more example of the way that people on maintenance, or people who take any drugs even if its for a legit reason, still get treated like junkies in most of the NA comunities that I personally seen.

"two recovering addicts cant have a healthy relationship and if they try it will end up in relapses, drama and trouble." or "two addicts who are together and want to get clean have to break up and go their seperate ways to be able to get clean successfully" or "No matter how much you love each other you have to break up to get clean and you need to stay apart to succeed in life and stay clean" and etc.

Is the saying you were thinkin of "Two sickies don't make a wellie"?

It is definitely an ignorant saying. Obviously there are some couples that can't stay clean together, and might tempt eachother. Other couples stay clean together, and can support eachother.

My philosophy is "whatever works."

there were a ton i didnt like cause they werent correct but i couldnt disprove them.

i generally disagreed with the program in the sense that i think an addict uses to medicate a problem; not just because they are an addict. every true addict i know is hiding something, whether its clinical depression, ptsd, or whatever.

I always liked ,,,, Men will slap your ass, Women will save your ass ! and you can't recover under the covers! also SOBER= sonofabitch everything is real . FEAR Face everything and recover or Fuck everything and run

I hate when they say "let go and let god"... how the fuck is a religious entity supposed to solve our medical diseases??? Also, I hate how if someone is talking about like real problems and saying they want to use, all people say is "keep coming back"... like that's gonna help them! They don't offer any real advice/solutions.

But what I hate most is how they look down on people who take medication, whether they be addicts or not. Especially addicts on buprenorphine or methadone, they think everyone can get clean without maintenance drugs and that's just not the case. Everyone is different, some people buy into the bullshit programs preach to them and some people would be using their doc if it weren't for bupe. They put everybody into a 'one size fits all' category and that's just not how life works.

Oh shit I didn't see this at first, but I TOTALLY fucking agree. That is such utter bullshit, that's the reason why my fiance and I left the program (and because we're on bupe). We've been together for almost 4 years, we met when we were both clean and after a couple years used together, and all of our "friends" from NA would always tell us "your not gonna be able to get clean if you stay together, you just bring each other down, blah blah fuckin blah." How the fuck would they know anything about our relationship if they didn't make an effort at all to talk to us or hang out while we were using. They just projected their own judgements onto us when they knew nothing about the situation. If we wouldn't have had each other while we were stuck in that hellish cycle, we would've been dead for sure. He is what kept me motivated to get out and I'm sure I was the same for him. And guess what?? We are still together and we're clean (from our doc) they consider us "using" because we smoke weed and take buprenorphine. Whatever, we are happy with how things are going and that's all that matters so fuck the haters.