PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Psychedelic Thought Loops Thread

BlueBird

Bluelighter
Welcome to the Main Psychedelic Thought Loop Thread

Other relevant threads:

Do you enjoy getting stuck in loops from acid ?

[original post:]

I went camping a while back and dropped a couple hits of acid.

Everything was going fine, until a good friend of mind asked me to get out of the send to have a chat with him. After (reluctantly) removing myself from a little cuddle pile my friends and I had managed to get ourselves into, I went outside and had a chat.

He didn't want the people in the tent to hear, so I followed him to the car before we had our chat.

After a serious little chat, the people in the tent started asking me to return. I started walking back to them, and my good friend informed me that he wasn't done speaking. At this point, I lost my night.

I remember snippets of going to the tent, forgeting why I was going there, and heading back to the car.... then getting called to the tent and forgetting why I went to the car. Eventually, I lost external stimulus due to the lack of light and, I was later told, spent the greater part of the night wandering endlessly between the tent and the car.

Needless to say, this sucked. :(

MY experiance is a little more difficult to explain. The world kept looping, wherein I would re-live a portion of the night. I would not realize that I was looping until the very end of the loop, at which point it would start over again.

My question (after my long-winded blabber) is how does one avoid falling into one of these loops? What causes these? How do you get someone out of one once they have started looping?
~Bluebirdy

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: How do I avoid getting caught in a loop?

I don't know what causes those loops either. I've only gotton in one of them myself and it was extremely bad.

i have had mind loops twice.. once on mushrooms and the other on AMT.. definetly not fun. I have found small amounts of nitrous will slowly break the effect for me. Not a full dissassociative hit.. slowly let nitrous blow toward your mouth/nose and breathe the ambient air with the spraying nitrous as you would normally would... regulate to where a balloon will last ~ 1-2 minutes.

Last edited:
I like the adivice using the nitrous. I have heard a lot of those "loop" stories in 2C-E reports.

Have you tried telling any of the people you are with what you were experiencing? perhaps someone might have been able to talk you out of it...

I had a loop on DXM once (Which I hated as a drug) And It was weird at the time but it's always a good story..

I Kept going to the basement to get us weed.. I would get there and forget why I was down there, I would come up and I would be asked about the weed go down and forget...This went on for a while untill someone finally came with me....8)

cyalume said:
i have had mind loops twice.. once on mushrooms and the other on AMT.. definetly not fun. I have found small amounts of nitrous will slowly break the effect for me. Not a full dissassociative hit.. slowly let nitrous blow toward your mouth/nose and breathe the ambient air with the spraying nitrous as you would normally would... regulate to where a balloon will last ~ 1-2 minutes.

Wow I have only experienced a loop while using N2o and other drugs never just with L by it's self. Nitrous sends me into loops, it does not break them - at least from my experience.

Jamshyd said:

Have you tried telling any of the people you are with what you were experiencing? perhaps someone might have been able to talk you out of it...

I couldn't communicate with the outside world enough to explain that I was looping. Although, I was later told that I did say something to the tune of, "I'm looping" four or five times during a certian part of the loop.

That, and at one point my good friend gave me a tin full of altoids. Whenever my internal loop was finished, I would remember that I was looping for a split second and shake the tin.

It was cuh-rahzy!!!
~Birdy

I always had my friend around to smack some sense into me.

"Dude, okay, whoops, you're on shrooms. But don't trip, it's cool. Or, uhm..."

During my first trip a friend asked if he could ask me a question, i had the distinct feeling that it was going to absolutely fuck with my head, i could see it in his eyes. I'm not sure what his intention was but i think he might not have had my best interests at heart. There were tensions in our relationship.

I told him no in definite terms, and not to mention it again or he'd be asked to leave.

Was your friend tripping too? If not it sounds a little, umm, unsympathetic or foolhardy.

I generally loop for a bit during most trips, someone will normally draw attention to it and that can help.

If uncommunicative the gentle reminder 'you took some lsd, it will end, are you ok' is normally nice to hear.

I'd also wager a brief bit of controlled breathing practice/meditation might help slow things down a bit.

I was at a festy once and needed to get out of the crowd fast.

I started walking uphill towards the back of the crowd and looped. It was like I was never gonna get out of there and I was always passing the same people, with the hill getting further away everytime I looked at it.
After what seemed like hours I decided to just keep my eyes down and concentrate on my steps. i was out of there in minutes:D

The last one I had I ended up arguing with my wardrobe about what jumper to wear until my g/f dragged me away:\

I've only looped once after taking over a g of ketamine and 2 pills at this very strange house party.
I went upstairs to get some water from the bathroom,but I was having trouble finding which one it was as the landing just had a row of doors on it none of which were distinctly bathroomish and they were all closed.
I was just wandering back and forth across the landing, whenever someone opened a door I'd head towards it but they were those doors that swing shut, so they'd close as soon as I got to it(in my ketspangled brain I'd come to the conclusion that the bathroom door would stay open as I needed to use it:\)
So I ended up walking from door to door and finally forgot what I was doing atall,but was caught in a loop where I couldn't stop trying to get through one of the doors even though I'd forgotten why I needed to(obviously opening the door hadn't occured to me, or asking someone to hold it open)
I must have tried what seemed like 20 times to get through a door(at a spandangledly slow pace) there being 6 doors on the floor.
Finally a girl came out of one of the rooms and seeing I was in quite a distressed zombified state sat me down and produced a bottle of water from her bag(Very perceptive) and gave me a hug.
I instantly snapped out of it, found that I could actually speak and ended up having a lovely chat about 'the zone' whilst sharing my last cigarette:)

VertexShader said:
I enter the 'moment of infinity' loop every mushroom trip. Isn't that normal?

This, IMHO, is true entheogenesis. If you understand it as such, then I guess it is normal.

I enter such a loop every time on DPT and "positive" would be an understatement to describe the experience.

The first time I tried acid I experienced a loop. I had taken it and was not feeling much so I went for a walk and smoked a joint. I finished the joint and started walking up the hill towards my house. I started to feel the acid a lot stronger (due to the weed no doubt) and just wanted to get home. I was looking at the ground as I walked and then would look up towards my house. Every time I looked up at the house, it seemed to be just as far away. I swear I walked past the same parked car 20-30 times. It started to freak me out a bit so I started to stare at my house as I walked towards it. It then just seemed to stretch away from me! The two minute walk seemed to take over half an hour and the trip just seemed to be getting stronger and stronger. I was so glad when I got back home where I could just chill and enjoy some amazing visuals.

The funny thing was that a friend (also on acid) was walking with me and he mentioned that the walk seemed to last for ever.

I think that anxiety definitely seems to increase the chance of getting into a loop. The only advice that I can really offer is that you have to try and break the loop (obviously!). A change of activity or environment should break the cycle if you can remain calm. I can’t say loops are fun but they are a very weird feeling and can be slightly frightening at times.

You need someone around who isn't tripping to tell you how long these things go on for. Could be all in the mind...

Si Ingwe said:
You need someone around who isn't tripping to tell you how long these things go on for. Could be all in the mind...

Just look at a clock. Although the idea of time is ludacris when you're tripping and you don't understand it, I still know number sequence. The moment of infinity tends to last about 2.5-1.5 hours for me.

^^^ Think about the wording. It is experiencing infinity in a single moment. The only way to express it, IMHO, is through this paradox.

Re: How do I avoid getting caught in a loop?

BlueBird said:

After a serious little chat, the people in the tent started asking me to return. I started walking back to them, and my good friend informed me that he wasn't done speaking. At this point, I lost my night.

I remember snippets of going to the tent, forgeting why I was going there, and heading back to the car.... then getting called to the tent and forgetting why I went to the car. Eventually, I lost external stimulus due to the lack of light and, I was later told, spent the greater part of the night wandering endlessly between the tent and the car.

HAHAHAH, that is sooo funnny. It probably was too.

I think there was psychological forces pulling at you from both your friend who wanted to talk seriously + the other people in the tent and you got confused and forgot what your original intentions were / what would feel better / etc.

I have OCD, and it's sort of the same thing. So I do that kind of stuff all the time, except I suppose not so drastically, I dunno...depends on the situation. :\

I don't really have advice...I mean...well, since I do this kinda stuff all the time. ;) Just try to remember if there is a particular reason you're freakin out...maybe you're thirsty or hungry...and if there is no real reason to freak out...just...take a step back + chill for a bit...maybe peace of mind will come back...dunno...