Dub Techno - let the groove be thy guide

Bagseed

Bluelighter
as far as i can see, there is no Dub Techno - Thread in EMD? How could that possibly be with so much good shit going on in this genre? (which has been there for a long time, starting with Basic Channel in the 90s! also Deepchord is around for quite a time, merging dub with detroits techno tradition)

for anyone who isn't familiar with the genre, i'd recommend the mix-cd "Radio Rothko" by Deadbeat (who is an astounishing producer himself). a lot of essential tracks and musicians in there, so it gives you a good glimpse of how this music works!:

ag052.jpg

more input is appreciated of course!

When you say dub are you talking about real dub influence or dubstep influence? A lot of kids today call dubstep dub and annoys the shit out of me.

At work otherwise I would listen myself :)

you're welcome :)

i hope more people will contribute to this topic though!

I believe this is called Minimal techno.
Pascal FEOS, Ricardo Villalobos, and Stewart Walker play this exact type of style during their sets.
Even Richie Hawtin had a few sets that sounded like this when he performed live in the past.

And for the love of god, do not associate this style of music with dubstep.
Techno = Fast
Dubstep = Slow

Somewhere in between slow & fast is minimal.

I believe this is called Minimal techno.
Pascal FEOS, Ricardo Villalobos, and Stewart Walker play this exact type of style during their sets.
Even Richie Hawtin had a few sets that sounded like this when he performed live in the past.

And for the love of god, do not associate this style of music with dubstep.
Techno = Fast
Dubstep = Slow

Somewhere in between slow & fast is minimal.

Dub has nothing to do with dubstep, no one associated it with dubstep. Dub, as in 1970's jamaican dub.

Minimal techno has a lot in common with dub music

yeah dubtechno might have a minimal sound structure, but i wouldn't call it "Minimal" (as in "minimal techno"), because that's a distinctive style of techno music on itself (or was, before any idiot called generic loop techhouse "minimal" ;) ).

minimal techno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFLzCcFsINY
dub techno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n2Pu8L8220

not quite similar, right? (when it comes to compare techno music)

ah & btw: there is dubstep which is influenced by dub music. why would someone name it like that when it has nothing to do with it? ^^ i guess since you're from the US, you're more exposed to that skrillex type of sound, which isn't that huge here in Europe.

btw: i like where this thread is going. keep it up. :)

Last edited:
yeah dubtechno might have a minimal sound structure, but i wouldn't call it "Minimal" (as in "minimal techno"), because that's a distinctive style of techno music on itself (or was, before any idiot called generic loop techhouse "minimal" ;) ).

minimal techno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFLzCcFsINY
dub techno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n2Pu8L8220

not quite similar, right? (when it comes to compare techno music)

ah & btw: there is dubstep which is influenced by dub music. why would someone name it like that when it has nothing to do with it? ^^ i guess since you're from the US, you're more exposed to that skrillex type of sound, which isn't that huge here in Europe.

btw: i like where this thread is going. keep it up. :)

Yes, dubstep was influenced by dub in some ways, I never said it wasn't. Perhaps I just wasn't clear enough. What I meant was that dub music has nothing to do with dubstep, as in dub is it's own thing not influenced by dubstep. The reason I brought this up was because the poster above me thought we were associating dubstep with the tracks being posted here.

I know what dubstep is, I was a big fan for the first few years of it's infancy. I am not a fan of brostep though which is what you are referring to with skrillex etc.

Last edited:
ah this was adressed to tech kinetics, not to you. thought that was clear. :) (ok i read your location and assigned it to him also xD weed is bad mkay!)

btw and ontopic:

echocord records
To be released beginning 2012 >>
Fluxion · Traces EP 1/3 w/ Fehlmann rmx · Echocord 054
Fluxion · Traces album · Echocord CD011
Onmutu Mechanicks · Phosphor EP w/ Norman Nodge rmx · Echocord Colour 019
Function · Obsessed EP w/ Substance & Scuba rmxes · Echocord Colour 020
>> HAPPY NEW YEAR

looking forward to these records, think i'm gonna get em all. can't go wrong with echocord colour! also the vinyl releases are beautiful <3
example:
NSFW:
l.jpg

^ checking out this label right now, never heard of it before! thx :)