Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

calling meth crack

Maniaz

Greenlighter
hi in nz there's quite a few people who call meth crack. do you aussies call meth crack as well or know why people are calling meth crack?

inb4 i know what real crack is

Rarely heard the trm bro. But I think it derives from the "crackling" sound the pipe makes when being smoked.

Yeah people do it here, but usually in a slightly joking manner. I think it just stems from referring to a glass pipe as a crackpipe. If it's a crackpipe, then what you smoke in it must be crack...

This is becoming increasingly common, to the point some circles I know crack is probably the most used slang term for meth/ice.

I really think as crankinit suggested the slang really only comes from referring to meth pipes as crack pipes.

I don't see a lot of valuable discussion being generated in this thread but am happy to leave it open for now and get some more responses.

The term annoys me as its very confusing. Im assuming they call it crack because of the paraphernalia used to smoke it. There is quite a bit of exceptional crack in Sydney (made from fairly high grade coke) so its not a correct term. It also shits me bad when people call speed base, there is no such thing unless we are talking about the early stages of the synth which I wont go into.

I blame the rise in local hip hop. Having not been exposed to the classics rap such as NWA they have no respect for proper street drug slang.

The terms 'base' and 'crack' in relation to meth really annoy me too.

Make up any name under the sun for your drugs you like, but calling it something that's it's actually not, is like Sustanon said, confusing and stupid.

I have used it to jokingly call someone 'a fuckn crack head' if they twirl the pipe constantly and it doesn't annoy me anymore, but when I moved back to aus after being in europe it fucking shitted the hell out of me as I smoked some decent crack in Holland and though that people here must just not know what it is and proceeded to ramble at them that it was coke bla bla.

It is pretty stupid and confusing though to use it seriously and I actually saw some in Sydney area last week (not for sale, just homemade from a few grams of decent perso).

Crack is a cool sounding word, it rolls off the tongue. You also smoke it in a crack pipe and there is virtually no such thing as actual crack cocaine in Australia. Technically it is 100% wrong though but all slang terms are fucking stupid most of the time so may as well use whatever sounds best.

I have used it to jokingly call someone 'a fuckn crack head' if they twirl the pipe constantly and it doesn't annoy me anymore, but when I moved back to aus after being in europe it fucking shitted the hell out of me as I smoked some decent crack in Holland and though that people here must just not know what it is and proceeded to ramble at them that it was coke bla bla.

It is pretty stupid and confusing though to use it seriously and I actually saw some in Sydney area last week (not for sale, just homemade from a few grams of decent perso).

I find this post kind of ironic in that the majority of people I know will refer to an icehead as a crackhead, even if they don't refer to meth/ice as crack when talking about the drug itself. In all honesty it is a term that I have been guilty of using despite boycotting the use of the term crack to refer to ice.

To the above poster, while I cannot say that I feel you are technically incorrect in most of your observations, as a matter of fact I can't help but liken your response very similarly to many I have recieved from friends who use the term, a part of me feels that as an educated user of recreational substances and a firm believer in harm reduction it is neither wise or proper to use ambiguous slang in particular when it comes to hard drugs. I do note the hypocrisy as a self confessed user of the term crackhead, but at the same time substance specificity seems a little less relevant in reference to what drug another person may be using than it does when talking about the drug that you and who you are with are using. The truth is the vast majority and even perhaps all cases are not going to result in confusion or misrepresentation of a substance but when the drug has a name of its own and a hundred non ambiguous slang terms it still seems nonsensical to refer to it with a name more commonly used in reference to another substance.

Last edited:
agree that it isn't something to get too annoyed bout - and as much as i agree with the idea that the term comes from saying "crack pipe" - they're not even.
your standard freebase pipe is a straight glass tube with gauze or something in it, right?
what australians call crack pipes are what i understand to be hash oil pipes. at least, that's what i use mine for.

sure, people understand the local context of the slang, but it just seems a bit silly to reinterpret it that way.
it's like if someone offered you hash, but they were talking about marijuana or something.

pedantic, maybe. but it's as if people think saying 'crack' is more hard, more street.
some sort of ghetto chic.
kinda lame if you ask me, but each to their own.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have heard it for years because of crackpipes.

I say it all the time now, it started off jokingly but every one I know refers to it as crack so its easier.

Yeah, I have heard it for years because of crackpipes.

I say it all the time now, it started off jokingly but every one I know refers to it as crack so its easier.

north qld they call it crack, fkn morons some ppl its just annoying, clueless

Busty St Clare said:
I blame the rise in local hip hop. Having not been exposed to the classics rap such as NWA they have no respect for proper street drug slang.

Ha, Straight Outta Compton was playing on my iPhone today.

I hate this whole calling meth 'crack'. In my mind, meth is meth or ice or speed (if it's cut) and crack is actual freebase cocaine which you don't find often. I've talked to teen kids in the scene crowd who think meth is actually what should properly be termed crack.

Fuck this drug slang, from now on meth is N-methyl-1-phenylpropan-2-amine, and cocaine is methyl (1R,2R,3S,5S)-3- (benzoyloxy)-8-methyl-8-azabicyclo[3.2.1] octane-2-carboxylate. This should clear everything up for everybody. ;)

in A-town crack is the slang for methamphetamines, someone that twirls the methpipe often, is called a crackhead.

when you ask someone for crack here, its 99% asssumed you're looking for either base oil or Shardies of methamphet.

no one will make teh assumption that you are asking for crack cocaine. As it is pretty much unheard of here in A-town anyways :)

In WA, and, despite knowing the terminology, I call meth rock or crack or gear. Just going with the flow...
Got better things to get stressed about

I had a friend who was in early smoking days, used to score from the druggie flats when he was a High Schooler, 14 maybe 15. He got into a fight with a heavy meth user about whether it was called meth or crack. She was very adamant that it was called crack, but I think she was just crazy.

Edit: he used to smoke weed, not meth when he was in high school, just to clarify

Meth is meth, ice is just cut meth.
Meth is not crack, crack is crack cocaine, which is a smokable form of cocain shards or rocks. This is what Americans refer to as crack. Meth is a pseudoephedrine based mixture of chemicals cooked to become meth. Ice is the Sam principle just cooked with different chemical ingredients and is cut.
I know meth as meth, ice(which is the most common thing I can get my hands on) I know as shard.
Just to clear things up.....