Post-Punk

tribal girl

Bluelight Crew
wiki said:
Post-punk is a popular musical movement with its roots in the late 1970s, following on the heels of the initial punk rock explosion of the mid-1970s. The genre retains its roots in the punk movement but is more introverted, complex and experimental. Post-punk laid the groundwork for alternative rock by broadening the range of punk and underground music, incorporating elements of Krautrock (particularly the use of synthesizers and extensive repetition), Jamaican dub music (specifically in bass guitar), American funk, studio experimentation, and even punk's traditional polar opposite, disco, into the genre.

It found a firm place in the 1980s indie scene, and led to the development of genres such as gothic rock, industrial music and alternative rock.

List of post-punk bands on wiki

It recently came to my attention, that I seem to have a lot of love for post-punk music. I guess it appealed to me a whole lot more than punk itself, mainly because it was slightly more experimental. And there was also a whole lot more room for growth. It all began when I decided to buy the Rough Trade Shops: Post Punk compilation back in 2003. And ever since the discovery of this music, I've continued to find more and more hidden gems out there. It can be very rhythmic, with funky bass lines and tribal influences. But it's also as discordant as punk, with an energetic, frustrated, almost desperate feel to it. And imo, desperation is what makes good music. :)

VA+-+ROUGH+TRADE+SHOPS+POST+PUNK+01+F%2B%2B.jpg

Allow me to make y'all a little youtube mix tape. :D

Gang Of Four - Damaged Goods (live)
Kleenex - Nice
Au Pairs - Come Again (live)
The Bloods - Button Up
Bush Tetras - Too Many Creeps
Pylon - Stop It
The Raincoats - Lola
The Pop Group - We Are All Prostitutes
Essential Logic - Quality Crayon Wax OK
Maximum Joy - Stretch
Liquid Liquid - Optimo
Medium Medium - Hungry, So Angry
Mo-Dettes - White Mice
The Slits - Typical Girls
Delta 5 - Mind Your Own Business

So does anyone else share my <3? or am I on my own once again?. :\

Lurve it. Did you love the CD I sent ya? (more new-wave/new romantic than post punk perse)

I love it as well, You've named pretty much all the post punk I listen too, though. I'll have to study up and get some new things.

<3 Pylon and Gang of Four the most, though.

A huge gathering then?. =D

Pander, get-a-studying. There's loads of treasures to be found out there. :)

@mc: of course I did. <3

Joy Division and XTC are amazing. "post-punk" is pretty vague though, its pretty much just any rock music after the punk movement that sounds even slightly reminiscent of punk. And you could argue that a lot of bands fall into that category. Some New Wave is pretty awesome.

R.I.P. Ian Curtis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZwMs2fLoVE

^Agreed.

In general categorising things tends to piss me off a great deal, because nothing is ever set in stone. And as you mentioned, there is an extremely fine line between what is classed as what. It's all bullshit. I guess I was just trying to draw attention to a certain era, rather than anything else.

New wave, no wave, New York noise, post-punk. Whatever. It was all experimental, and I guess that's what attracts me to this particular era and genre of music.

There's a recent-ish band who're very inspired by a lot of the aforementioned bands, and I feel they're keeping that whole idea alive. New Bloods:

newbloods.jpg

New Bloods - Doubles

Joy Division and XTC are amazing. "post-punk" is pretty vague though, its pretty much just any rock music after the punk movement that sounds even slightly reminiscent of punk. And you could argue that a lot of bands fall into that category. Some New Wave is pretty awesome.

you could also say WARSAW is post punk...

what about

Siouxsie Sioux & The Banshees
Bauhaus
Jesus & The MaryChain
Killing Joke
Public Image Ltd
Cocteau Twins
perhaps even....

The Cure?

THE SMITHS?

this is probably my favourite genre

^Of all those bands I would only classify Public Image as Post-Punk, but that's just me.

BLers like post-punk better than punk itself, no surprise there

I do like post-punk myself, but in a little bit different of a direction than most of you. mainly like Refused and the (International) Noise Conspiracy (maybe one of my most fave bands)

and pre-punk is great too. my love for the Sonics is unmatched

I'd hardly say blers like Post-Punk more than Punk itself when we're still on the first page. LOL. But anyways. =D

In terms of Pre-Punk, Patti Smith gets my vote. :)
1242740558smith_featured.jpg

Confusion settin' in. Too many genres and sub-genres to get ones head around. 8(

*goes to check out list of Post-Rock bands*

Electrelane are about one of the only bands from the list I have lukewarm feelings for.

Confusion settin' in. Too many genres and sub-genres to get ones head around. 8(

*goes to check out list of Post-Rock bands*

Electrelane are about one of the only bands from the list I have lukewarm feelings for.

I think post rock is a useful categorical term. If something is described as "post rock", you can usually expect instrumental rock that doesn't adhere to verse-chorus form. Often with more emphasis on mood and atmosphere than melody.

Um, post punk. The Fall?

Don't forget post punk revival! (or do, but I like it):
Interpol
Editors
Foals (never really heard them called post punk, but I don't see why not.)
The Horrors (new album)
The Libertines
The Strokes

I love the Strokes, Libertines, and the Horrors to no end, but I don't think that you can call them post-punk or anything like it (post-rock, prog-rock)

they for sure follow that verse-chorus formula, and to great results I might add

I'd hardly say blers like Post-Punk more than Punk itself when we're still on the first page. LOL. But anyways. =D

really? I mean, perhaps you are seeing something that I haven't seen at all...

Qué?.

I was vaguely referring to the Punk thread which is currently on page 15. :)

Although what some people consider Punk in there is highly questionable. I guess it's all subjective. Which makes the whole concept of genres and sub-genres quite annoying. But lets carry on regardless. :D

ESG
11ead_esg.jpg

Tiny Sticks