• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ The Big & Dandy Mescaline Extraction thread

Flare, extractions range from semi-complicated chemistry processes to something equivalent to making a pot of coffee. :)
Alcohol extractions are slightly more complex than making tea or coffee (which is also both a live extraction!).
If you have whole cactus you need to do this step anyway: chop the cactus into pieces after removing the spines and use a mixer/blender to grind it to bits. Powder if its dry or mush if its fresh.
If it's dry powder you have, add a small bit of water to it because I believe the extraction will work better with some in there.

Then add an alcohol, preferably not denatured since that contains a little nasty stuff, I use isopropanol (= isopropyl alcohol, IPA or rubbing alcohol) - sorry but look elsewhere for the volumes...
Isopropanol should be equally or less expensive than high proof ethyl alcohol / ethanol.
It is only slightly more toxic than drinking alcohol but remember drinking alcohol is really a poison. Getting either of them on your hands feels a bit cold from the evaporation but it's not harmful. Don't go drinking it and you'll be fine!

Then after steeping for a certain amount of time like tea you have to strain it by just pouring it into a coffee filter. Then collect the liquid and throw the solids into another volume of water + alcohol. This will be the second "pull". Do 3 pulls and pool all the liquid.
You might want to let this liquid stand so that tiny particles stick together in the course of hourse or days (I think even better in the fridge) after which you can filter it again for purity.

When this is all done you need to evaporate all the liquid. What is left is impure mescaline that is much easier to ingest than the whole cactus. In my opinion it is worth it, personally I'd say if you don't want to do this don't bother at all because unextracted cactus is too vile a task to eat/drink.

The evaporation will take a lot of time to do spontaneously, if you set it in the baking sun it will definitely go faster but if you can get a hotplate or gourmet plate or whatever that gets hot without the flame you can set a PYREX baking dish on it with the liquid in it to boil.
Using a pan on a hot stove is dangerous because the alcohol vapor is a little flamable. It could be done but only if done very well and careful! Be warned.

What you're left with can be scraped up and eaten.

And lest we forget: trip on! :D

The evaporation will take a lot of time to do spontaneously, if you set it in the baking sun it will definitely go faster but if you can get a hotplate or gourmet plate or whatever that gets hot without the flame you can set a PYREX baking dish on it with the liquid in it to boil.
Using a pan on a hot stove is dangerous because the alcohol vapor is a little flamable. It could be done but only if done very well and careful! Be warned.

I use methanol myself (Just make sure it's all evaporated) it's easily obtainable in large gallon sized jugs in the paint section as "methyl hydrate" 99.9% pure. If you're using isopropanol get the 99% stuff.

The best evaporation method I used was putting the pyrex pan out in the sun on a breezy day. The worst method I ever used was putting it in an oven... 10 minutes later while sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast... BOOM!! 8o

Fire extinguisher came in handy. :\

So yeah, keep away from heat or flame sources. :)

Last edited:
Flame sources yes, heat no. I use a hotplate and a pyrex dish, sometimes outside and other times under the kitchen hood and I'm not too worried the IPA will misbehave all of a sudden.
Yes the flashpoint is low, and that makes the vapor flamable so just keep strong oxidizers away and maybe your face as well... :D
Now diethyl ether, I wouldn't want to heat that above like 50 degrees celcium or something, you know at home I wouldn't heat it at all as a matter of fact, and I would even go so far as to say I just don't use it period. I love inhaling it lol but I much prefer chloroform and over chloroform I prefer DCM <3
I've got a feeling if you snap your fingers near some tepid ether you can go redecorate. That stuff just creeps around!!!

What caused my blowout in the oven was because I had it on convection (a fan in the back being driven by an electric motor; yep, the kind with oscillating polarities that sparks every revolution :\). The combined forces of higher evaporation rate due to heat + confined space inside the oven caused fumes to build with nowhere to go + sparks provided by the electric motor = BOOM.

A hotplate or stove without sparks near it would be fine.

Glad this was bumped, I did a search but it must have slipped past me. That post above was very helpful solipsis, I didn't know a simple alcohol extraction could be done with cactus...I was originally gonna attempt Ekstaza's method, posted on the previous page, but I think a ISO and/or methanol one will suffice for a first attempt. :)

I don't even mind the tea, but I want to let my plants grow! and would like to experiment with powder-based extractions.

Drying San Pedro

Is it true that only the outer section (1/2inch or so) of the San Pedro cactus that contains most, if not all the alkaloids desired for a trip? If this is true what is the best method to dry the outer layer of the cactus? I'd imagine that it might be with an oven at a low temperature. What would be a same temp to dry the cactus flesh out be?

Best way ive found is to core them (that woody circle) then dry them at ~80-90oc, then you cover in honey and eat a lot

questions about alchohol extraction

I've heard conflicting statements on this thread as to whether or not a fresh cactus needs to be dried out before steeping in alchohol. If it is better to start with powder then should I only remove just the small needles (san pedro) or the entire outer skin before cutting into pieces and drying out in the oven? Also what temp. roughly and for how long before the cactus chunks will be dry.

Then as far as the steeping process goes. do I want to add distilled water to the isopropanol or methanol if so how much water/alchohol per every foot of cactus. Solipsis mentioned adding water to dried material when blending but not in the case of fresh cactus which would already have water and produce mush. I will start extracting 3 feet worth of san pedro in a few days. just trying to dial in the details since ive never done this before.

Is it true that only the outer section (1/2inch or so) of the San Pedro cactus that contains most, if not all the alkaloids desired for a trip? If this is true what is the best method to dry the outer layer of the cactus? I'd imagine that it might be with an oven at a low temperature. What would be a same temp to dry the cactus flesh out be?

When I use a piece of cactus I cut everything off the woody core and cut it up into small (~1/2") pieces. Then put it on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven on the lowest setting.

Mescaline is fairly heat tolerant and with the oven being on it's lowest setting (for me it's 170F) it should be fine.

Doing it this way dries it in a few hours. I then just put the chunks into a coffee grinder and grind em up. Makes a hell of a sound in the grinder, same with Mimosa bark. It's a tough little thing. :\

i have a quick question. is mescaline heat stable? when i made a cacti tea last time i ended up with wayyyy too much watery shit to drink. could i just keep boiling it down till its like a cup to make it easier to drink, or would this degrade the mescaline more?

I've heard conflicting statements on this thread as to whether or not a fresh cactus needs to be dried out before steeping in alchohol. If it is better to start with powder then should I only remove just the small needles (san pedro) or the entire outer skin before cutting into pieces and drying out in the oven? Also what temp. roughly and for how long before the cactus chunks will be dry.

Then as far as the steeping process goes. do I want to add distilled water to the isopropanol or methanol if so how much water/alchohol per every foot of cactus. Solipsis mentioned adding water to dried material when blending but not in the case of fresh cactus which would already have water and produce mush. I will start extracting 3 feet worth of san pedro in a few days. just trying to dial in the details since ive never done this before.

Dry it out, grind it up, and then put it in the alcohol. Cut it into small chunks, put it on a cookie, put it in your oven on the lowest setting, should take a few hours.

I would think it'd be better to have the alcohol as pure as possible (meaning no water). That's the method I use, everyone's is different of course.

Thanks you guys. I've tried to consume the tea on 3 occasions with varying degrees of success. The 1st time I got enough tea down to get around a threshold dose in me. The second time I got a bit more down me but it was probably just above threshold. I had CEVs and no real trip. Then the third time I said fuck it and just started chugging the shit until I threw up (after about 3 or 4 big chugs) lol. I figure it's time to dry the shit up and powder it. After powdering it I'm gonna try a very simple extraction method.

I'm very interested in salting out Mescaline somehow, that seltzer water / carbonate method sounds great but I wonder if it's possible without the d-limonene?
That stuff is ridiculously priced here as far as I can see...

extraction failed?

A friend performed a d-limonene /vinegar extraction on 100 gms of san pedro (Blackburg). She got a little brown goo, and about 700 mg of white, waxy substance scraped off the pyrex drying pan (was transparent onthe glass). Consumed 125mg...no effect. Consumed 650 m-750 mg, including the goo, and got 8 hours of very very mild effects. Waves of very mild euphoria. At that high a level, it is hard to believe the at the white substance was what she thought it was. Any ideas what happened?

san pedro cooking question

i have a quick question, i asked it in the big and dandy thread but it got buried. once you cook down the cactus slime and strain off all the solid stuff is it alright to continue cooking the resulting liquid until it is a reasonable amount to drink? the couple times ive done it i ended up with quite a bit of liquid. im wondering if the continued head would degrade the mescaline enough so as to not make it worthwhile. thanks all.

Yes you can cook down your liquid. Mescaline salts and other active alkaloids do not degenerate easily by heat. Think about it, you've been cooking it for hours; do you think one more hour to reduce volume would hurt?

Right before I ingest mine, I just swirl my cup to mix up some of the rougher particles. This way the last gulp or two aren't too terrible.

Have fun.

CT

ahh, perfect. thats pretty much what i assumed, but figured some other people would have a bit more info on how heat stable mescaline is. thanks, and welcome to bluelight :)

This is good news as I'm drying SP slices in the oven at 170 F on tin foil. Bout to start my first A/B mescaline extraction tomorrow, I'm sooo excited to try pure mescaline out at a high dose, eating cactus or drinking the tea is just too nasty and I hate the nausea, it definetly clouds the experience negatively.

i've managed to boil down to the volume of half a scotch glass and never noticed diminished results. you'll probably want something to chase it with though. pretty foul stuff.