• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How can I stay lean, lose fat, and build muscle? Need sample meal/workout plan

Poppa'_$murfxXx

Bluelighter
i do not know when i should be eating, what foods i should encorporate at what times, whats the best time of the day to excersize, etc.

i dont want to loose weight, i do want to gain weight. im scronny boney and i dont have much muscle. I have a good frame and considering how im living my life right now im in relativly good shape.

givin that i wake up everyday around 12, what should my routine be? I have been trying to get my life on track but i need a good schedual to follow or else i will never be able to keep that routine. I dont have anyone to help me, and i dont know where else to find a definitve answer other than on a forum hearing form real poeple.

if someone could give me a little routine to follow i would appreciate it so much,some information which would help me alot would be; What should i eat when i wakeup? should i excversize right in the morning before i eat? right after i eat? should i wait till later in the day? what should i eat at lunch? dinner? when should i stop eating for the day? i tend to eat untill i fall asleep sometimes. These would be great things to include

Hey Poppa.... Seems you didn't get your answer from the other many threads you've created on this topic.

Hopefully one of the guys here who knows a lot about building muscle can post an example diet plan and workout schedule for him?

From my knowledge on the subject, I would say you should probably up your lean protein intake, eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day, and work out shortly after eating a small meal in the morning. You can work out twice a day if you are able to. Make sure not to work out on a completely empty stomach, and refuel with protein and complex carbohydrates afterwards. Keep yourself hydrated and well rested. There is no 'wrong' time to eat food. You can eat a snack before bed if your stomach is growling, and I find this often helps me be able to sleep better if I'm not starving when I get in bed. What does matter is how many calories you consume throughout the day, and you'll probably benefit from spacing out the calories into groups of small, nutritionally complete meals. These are just essential keys to balancing your health in general, I'm sure some of the guys in this forum will have better, more specific advice on tweaks you can make to your diet and exercise regimen to build muscle.

btw: what is your status on quitting smoking crack? did you decide to try and quit?

Last edited:
From my knowledge on the subject, I would say you should probably up your lean protein intake, eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day, and work out shortly after eating a small meal in the morning. You can work out twice a day if you are able to. Make sure not to work out on a completely empty stomach, and refuel with protein and complex carbohydrates afterwards. Keep yourself hydrated and well rested. There is no 'wrong' time to eat food. You can eat a snack before bed if your stomach is growling, and I find this often helps me be able to sleep better if I'm not starving when I get in bed. What does matter is how many calories you consume throughout the day, and you'll probably benefit from spacing out the calories into groups of small, nutritionally complete meals. These are just essential keys to balancing your health in general, I'm sure some of the guys in this forum will have better, more specific advice on tweaks you can make to your diet and exercise regimen to build muscle.

btw: what is your status on quitting smoking crack? did you decide to try and quit?

^good advice :)
first things first, you wanna build muscle? stop doing crack/coke, its deffinitley not helping.
what you wanna do is work on strength training. ( pushups, situps, any resistance training ya know?)
eat some light protein or a protein shake about an hour before you workout, then after your workout, immediately get some more protein in your body. in order to gain muscle/weight you need to consume more calories (preferablly protein) than you burn. some good sources of protein are turkey and chicken, and if you want you could just get some protein powder and make protein shakes, thats what i do :)

workout whenever you want, just make sure its at least an hour after you've eaten your pre-workout protein meal or anything else that you've eaten. and try to stay away from carbohydrates, anything that raises your insulin levels is gonna interfere with Growth Hormone levels, which you body naturally produces. Growth Hormone helps the body to grow and helps your body build muscle.

so altogether id just say:
>pre-workout protein meal, resistance/strength training, post-workout protein meal ASAP.
>get enough sleep, your body needs rest when you're trying to bulk up
>stay away from crap foods, especially refined sugars
>last but not least, dont stress about calories. when you're trying to bulk up you need as many calories as you can get, just make sure they're from the right source.

i dont think i missed anything?
some fish oil & a multivitamin would deffinitley help but its all up to you.
best of luck! :)

I'll reply properly to this thread tomorrow in-depth but before i hit the sack, I will quickly say:

Don't worry about what you eat at what times. Too many folk have a baseless, misguided idea that carbs after 8pm will cause you to put on weight and all sorts of nonsense. Don't worry about that. It doesn't make any sense and isn't true at all. Calories are calories, no matter when you eat them. You could eat macdonalds at 10pm and hit the hay at midnight and you arent suddenly going to gain more calories from it than if you ate it at 5pm. Your body doesn't work like that. Intermittent Fasting protocols will illustrate this point. I know plenty guys who eat ALL of their meals late at night and are sporting some incredibly low BF%.

There is no best time of day to exercise, other than when you have most energy. For sleep purposes, I would recommend no sooner than 2-3 hours before bed.

Don't worry about meal frequency. There is no basis to the ever-present myth that meal frequency affects weight gain or weight loss. Eating 20 small meals and eating 2 large meals do not affect weight gain. This has been disproven time and time again.

You should get up at 8am every day.

What are your goals? If you want to put on weight, you must consume a calorie surplus throughout the day. Eating straight after the workout isn't that necessary...studies have shown 2 groups both having finished an equal workout. Group 1 consumed protein immediately PWO. Group 2 waited an hour. The latter group absorbed more protein than the first. I would say you have about an hour to hour and half to think about PWO meals.
Consume 1g per lb of bodyweight for protein, about 4x that for carbs and half that for fat. Roughly. Check it online yourself, im too tired. Say you weigh 160lbs - you should eat 160-180g protein, 650-750g Carbs and 70g or more fat. Fat is incredibly important. Carbs also.

Check out your weight, use a calorie calculator to determine how miuch you should eat and in what macronutrient specifications.

Im not going to tell you what you should eat when you wake up, lunch, dinner. . Use your head. Eat healthily. Ok, i'll tell you what you should eat first thing in the morning - make a smoothie with oats, whole milk, banana and whatever else u want. This is jst about the best thing to eat upon waking and post-workout) . Base your diet on chicken, fish, nuts, seeds, veg, fruit, oats, milk and eggs.

I'm also not going to give you a workout regime until you give up your Cocaine habit. I've already gone over this. I appreciate that you are trying to turn your life around, and more power to ya sister, but think about giving up the serious stimulant habit before engaging in working out.

Why don't you heed the advice? I don't understand it. I've already told you why it's a bad idea. Yet you still are planning on going ahead with it?

I'll come back tomorrow with more info, but be more specific mate. Tell us what your goals are, how serious you are planning to get into this and what you want and how you are going to go about implementing change and stopping your Cocaine habit and shit.

I wish you all the best my friend. Congratulations on trying to turn your life around :) You can do it....just properly get into it and really do it! But dont hit the weights until you sort out your Crack habit.

right time for bed, im fucking knackered and im up in like 10 godamn minutes pretty much.

Materials:
Chicken
Whey Protein Isolate (Most brands are ok. Make sure it's about 22g protein per serving and low carbs)
Tuna
Eggs
Mixed Vegetables
Cottage Cheese
Milk
Bananas
Apples
Misc. Fruit/vegetables you like
Oatmeal
Other whole-grain complex carbohydrates
(Almonds for a snack)
(Optional) - Spices for your meals

Requirements: Learning how to cook

Breakfast: Whey protein shake in milk with oats/whole grain food
Meal 2: Eggs with mixed vegetables
Pre-workout: Fruit and a form of protein. (Sandwiches are awesome too)
Post-work out: 50g protein shake and a banana or 30g+ carbohydrates
Dinner: Lean meat like chicken/turkey/tuna with a complex carbohydrate or vegetables
Before bed: Cottage cheese

You can do a lot of research around alternatives to that diet plan, but that's roughly what I use.

As far as routines go, as a beginner you should look to gain strength. Lifting heavy on major muscle groups will sky-rocket natural growth hormones. Without squats and deadlifts, your other lifts will stagnate. I recommend looking into a lifting routine like "Starting Strength" <--- google it

This incorporates a 5 sets of 5 repetition routine utilizing compound movements that is excellent for safely building both muscle mass and strength without injury.

No, you will not get "too big" unless you take anabolic steroids and other hormones (I will add that you'd have to know what you were doing, as well, with the roids). No one gets "too big" naturally on purpose.

Also if you're using any form of drug/stimulant this will not work. I do not use drugs often, I only use them socially. Even with moderate use I have suffered injuries. Cocaine will greatly diminish your heart's ability to effectively circulate. There are not a lot of hard drug users in the gym for a good reason!

Last edited:
What are your goals?

think about giving up the serious stimulant habit before engaging in working out. Why don't you heed the advice? I don't understand it. I've already told you why it's a bad idea. Yet you still are planning on going ahead with it?

Tell us what your goals are, how serious you are planning to get into this and what you want and how you are going to go about implementing change and stopping your Cocaine habit and shit.

My goals are to quit coke, quit smoking weed and cigarettes, and whip myself into shape.

Im having an extreamly hard time not relapsing, the quality is too good, the price is too low, and my body is not telling me i need to stop yet. The side effects have not caused enough pain for me to want to quit to be hoenst. The worste part is that im geting increasingly paranoid always look out the window when a car drives by it rlly weird.

Im 100% focused on eating healthy. But i keep making up excuses to get more.

Im crashing hard so ill be back with better responses tomorrow morning,

Yeah, the coke will definitely make achieving any sort of fitness goal way more difficult.

Materials:
Chicken
Whey Protein Isolate (Most brands are ok. Make sure it's about 22g protein per serving and low carbs)
Tuna
Eggs
Mixed Vegetables
Cottage Cheese
Milk
Bananas
Apples
Misc. Fruit/vegetables you like
Oatmeal
Other whole-grain complex carbohydrates
(Almonds for a snack)
(Optional) - Spices for your meals

Requirements: Learning how to cook

Breakfast: Whey protein shake in milk with oats/whole grain food
Meal 2: Eggs with mixed vegetables
Pre-workout: Fruit and a form of protein. (Sandwiches are awesome too)
Post-work out: 50g protein shake and a banana or 30g+ carbohydrates
Dinner: Lean meat like chicken/turkey/tuna with a complex carbohydrate or vegetables
Before bed: Cottage cheese

You can do a lot of research around alternatives to that diet plan, but that's roughly what I use.

Excellent thanks

"considering how I live my life right now"
if that means you're not living in any way that resembles "healthy", don't expect too much. That said, you gotta decide between losing fat or gaining muscle, trying to do both is asking for disappointment as they're opposed states.

(just noticed someone mentioned stop using coke - if that's a factor then I wouldn't even try for muscle, and it seems like losing fat, despite being in the title, isn't a priority or even that possible given you're 'scrawny'. Live better/healthier* and your body will improve automatically, once you're in a healthy-enough state you can worry about gaining muscle.
*= I'd give tips on this, but it'd be pointless as you surely already know many things to change to live better)

I'll reply properly to this thread tomorrow in-depth but before i hit the sack, I will quickly say:

Don't worry about what you eat at what times. Too many folk have a baseless, misguided idea that carbs after 8pm will cause you to put on weight and all sorts of nonsense. Don't worry about that. It doesn't make any sense and isn't true at all. Calories are calories, no matter when you eat them. You could eat macdonalds at 10pm and hit the hay at midnight and you arent suddenly going to gain more calories from it than if you ate it at 5pm. Your body doesn't work like that. Intermittent Fasting protocols will illustrate this point. I know plenty guys who eat ALL of their meals late at night and are sporting some incredibly low BF%.

There is no best time of day to exercise, other than when you have most energy. For sleep purposes, I would recommend no sooner than 2-3 hours before bed.

Don't worry about meal frequency. There is no basis to the ever-present myth that meal frequency affects weight gain or weight loss. Eating 20 small meals and eating 2 large meals do not affect weight gain. This has been disproven time and time again.

You should get up at 8am every day.

What are your goals? If you want to put on weight, you must consume a calorie surplus throughout the day. Eating straight after the workout isn't that necessary...studies have shown 2 groups both having finished an equal workout. Group 1 consumed protein immediately PWO. Group 2 waited an hour. The latter group absorbed more protein than the first. I would say you have about an hour to hour and half to think about PWO meals.
Consume 1g per lb of bodyweight for protein, about 4x that for carbs and half that for fat. Roughly. Check it online yourself, im too tired. Say you weigh 160lbs - you should eat 160-180g protein, 650-750g Carbs and 70g or more fat. Fat is incredibly important. Carbs also.

Check out your weight, use a calorie calculator to determine how miuch you should eat and in what macronutrient specifications.

Im not going to tell you what you should eat when you wake up, lunch, dinner. . Use your head. Eat healthily. Ok, i'll tell you what you should eat first thing in the morning - make a smoothie with oats, whole milk, banana and whatever else u want. This is jst about the best thing to eat upon waking and post-workout) . Base your diet on chicken, fish, nuts, seeds, veg, fruit, oats, milk and eggs.

I'm also not going to give you a workout regime until you give up your Cocaine habit. I've already gone over this. I appreciate that you are trying to turn your life around, and more power to ya sister, but think about giving up the serious stimulant habit before engaging in working out.

Why don't you heed the advice? I don't understand it. I've already told you why it's a bad idea. Yet you still are planning on going ahead with it?

I'll come back tomorrow with more info, but be more specific mate. Tell us what your goals are, how serious you are planning to get into this and what you want and how you are going to go about implementing change and stopping your Cocaine habit and shit.

I wish you all the best my friend. Congratulations on trying to turn your life around :) You can do it....just properly get into it and really do it! But dont hit the weights until you sort out your Crack habit.

right time for bed, im fucking knackered and im up in like 10 godamn minutes pretty much.

This is about the same as what i was going to post. I use intermittant fasting myself and love it.. Meal frequency is not important. Just get your macro's right for the day and you will be fine.. This is a decent calculator: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/weight_gain_calculator.htm

I use this one myself: http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

GL and get healthy :)

In the end, your diet is what determines your body composition. Stimulants will never replace a solid healthy nutrition plan.

It will aid losing lean mass.. Skinny is not the same as ripped.
that's part of it. it will aid the loss of lean mass along with fat, no doubt; considering how many ppl have far too little muscle, and far too much fat, it does tend - IME - to have a "ripping" effect in the mirror for many (this effect is coupled w/ a "kill it with fire" effect, so yeah, not a recommended course of action lol)

right, but the OP is trying to quit coke as he is having health problems associated with its use. so let's stick to diet/workout plans for him por favor.

I'm too lazy to go to the gym and don't want a whole bunch of weights cluttering up my home, so I found a comprehensive yet practical workout plan that only requires a pair of small dumbbells. If your goal is to put on lean weight and muscle, all you have to do is stick to the routine and eat enough food that makes sense to eat(meat/fruits/vegetable/nuts) while staying away from foods that make sense not to eat(soda/fast food/candy). It really is that simple. You'll find a million articles talking about one way or another being the "optimal way" to gain muscle or lose fat or build strength or get healthy, but for someone just starting and that has an unhealthy lifestyle to begin with, simply eating better and exercising regularly will produce tons of progress pretty quickly for you.

Monday:

Dumbbell bench press (Chest)
Warm up 1 x 15 reps
3 sets of 8 reps

Incline dumbbell press (Upper Chest)
3 sets of 8 reps

Dumbbell squats (Quadriceps - Front Of The Thighs)
4 sets of 10 reps

Alternate dumbbell curls (Biceps)
3 sets of 12 reps

Dumbbell Pullover (Back / Chest)
3 sets of 12 reps

Ab Crunches (Abdominals)
4 sets of 15

Wednesday:

Arnold press (Shoulders)
Warm up 1 x 15 reps
3 sets of 10 reps

Alternate front dumbbell raises (Shoulders)
3 sets of 12 reps

Dumbbell rows (Mid Back)
3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell stiff legged deadlifts (Hamstrings / Butt)
3 sets of 12 reps

Ab Crunches (Abdominals)
4 sets of 15

Friday:

Dumbbell deadlifts (Mid Lower Back)
4 sets of 12 reps

Incline dumbbell press (Upper Chest)
3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell Lunges (Legs)
3 sets of 12

Alternate dumbbell curls (Biceps)
3 sets of 12 reps

One arm dumbbell extensions (Triceps)
3 sets of 12 reps

Ab Crunches (Abdominals)
4 sets of 15

The problem with that routine is that it focuses on the entire body and not a specific muscle group or movement. A beginner should focus on working a muscle group once or twice a week and eating a ton of carbs and protein. However most any routine will work for a beginner.

(Legs are the only exception, they can be worked up to 3 times a week.)

Working your entire body every day is good for endurance, but not volume/strength training. I began with MMA, so I can say I had a base in endurance training before I touched weights.

I always advocate bench press, squat, deadlift, overhead press, and pull-ups(or bent over rows)

as the most necessary compound movements. A person should at least try to do all of these work outs once a week in order to accomplish a well-rounded frame accompanied by a strong core for building more volume in the future. As a beginner it's possible to build a lot of volume in a short amount of time even with a shotty diet. However as you progress, the more precise you will have to be about your macro-nutrient intake in order to make similar progress.

Last edited:
You will not get as good of effects as if you focus on a specific part of the body each day.

Working the whole body is great for endurance. However, for building a frame of muscle, a body builder or powerlifter is going to want to hit a muscle group. Your body can recover much more efficiently this way. It takes 2 days to a week for a specific muscle to heal back better than before. So if you continue to work it every day, it won't have time to heal as well. If that makes any sense.

It does, but for his specific situation and current physical state I think it'd be better for him to get a more overall workout in. It sounds like he's got a long way to go before he has to worry about optimizing muscle gain or targeting specific muscle groups in a pursuit of real bodybuilding, if he's even interested in that. It sounds like he just wants to get healthier for now. I good thorough workout of the entire body is a pretty good way to do that. I even throw in light to moderate cardio on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which in his case would probably do him even better than the weightlifting will(provided he quits the bad habits first).

That routine can feel a little rough on the body when you first start, but if you look closely you'll notice that it mostly gaps areas of the body to allow a couple days for recovery. Any part of the body, like the back, that's targeted two days in a row are targeted in different areas like upper/mid/lower. As long as he's taking in enough nutrients and getting enough sleep his body should be good to go for the next workout day.