• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How can I stay lean, lose fat, and build muscle? Need sample meal/workout plan

last year, in a fairly short space on time i went from quite skinny to this -

NSFW:
47306_10150259081365468_857175467_14411657_1593637_n.jpg

- using body weight training on a cheap irongym doorframe bar, a good diet, occasional running, fairly high protein (decent whey protein shakes and fish) creatine, and a lot of effort. (i was also doing a lot of stimulants and alcohol on the weekends which made it harder, especially training on a come down) it was quite cheap and easy. couldnt be bothered with paying for gym memberships

wake up, lots of calories and carbs, always protein (and if you like, creatine,) before training, always high protein after, calories, carbs. repeat as often as possible. put the effort in. noticed gains pretty quickly. 0-20 pull ups in a few months. used to ache like fuck but it was worth it, felt so much better

the doorframe bar = http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Total-...BRWA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320876054&sr=8-1 one of the best things ive bought. cheap as chips

the creatine made me kinda bloated but helped. i was quite ripped once i started doing more cardio and cut off the creatine and eased off on the cals and carbs

sadly i slacked off on the fitness awhile ago and im a lot thinner. if i can be assed to put the effort back in i may bulk up and cut again. lost a few stone

Last edited:
doing more "full body" is absolutely beneficial for any 'non-advanced' lifters. And I'd definitely throw in pull ups or any other 'compound' back moves for that routine ;).

About the food - if you want to gain muscle, it is absolutely required you eat sufficient calories (and protein). This cannot be negated by just "eating really healthy" (conversely, you can still gain muscle easily on a mcdonald's diet if protein and calorie goals are met; your general health will disapprove, lol, but muscle gains will still go swimmingly)

I noticed a mention or two of "tons of carbs/protein" and things to the effect of lowered fat intake. Fat, just like protein, *must* be consumed until a certain level is reached or you will hinder gains. Basically you have a fat-intake minimum, just like a protein-intake minimum; carbs make up the difference between (protein+fat)'s calories and your total calorie needs. (note: excess CALORIES are what makes you fat, whether they're from fat, protein or carbs)

thanks for all these wonderfull responses!! im so thankfull, all of the responses have been very informative and i feel like i have learned alot already. I am skinny how ever i still have a flabby stomach, u can see my abbs but like my hips and lower abdomen have some fat there. I was to be hard body, i dont care soo much about geining a lot of weight, ill take what i can get, what is more important is that i have a body like that guy up there, i dont care about how much muscle i have of each muscle group i just wanna have a chizzled stomach and chest and arms and legs and stuff.

i was quite a bit fatter ebfore i started useing cocaine (weighted 160) (man boob,puffy nipps, beer gut) now that 9i have lost all this weight it give me motivation to excertsize, get healthy, and stop abusing cocaine. In order to define my abdomen what should i focus on?

Ab crunches are fine for your abs, but losing the extra flab most everyone has on their stomach that covers your abs still requires paying attention to your diet. Your arms/chest/back/shoulders/legs/etc will develop naturally with those other exercises.

If you're interested I have sheets with pictures, descriptions, and tips for using proper form on all of those dumbbell routines I listed above. They really help if you plan on trying any of them.

For your abs, it's simply a muscle:fat ratio you need to get in-line. (pro-tip: losing the belly fat is worlds easier than beefing up the abdominals, and even beefing up the abdominals won't give "the look" if there's still a thick enough layer of fat over it ;) )

last year, in a fairly short space on time i went from quite skinny to this -

NSFW:
47306_10150259081365468_857175467_14411657_1593637_n.jpg

sadly i slacked off on the fitness awhile ago and im a lot thinner. if i can be assed to put the effort back in i may bulk up and cut again. lost a few stone

I would say that you lost all the mass because you put it on quickly - if you put on mass over a longer period, it take longer to drop off, unless of course you indulge in a stimulant-heavy diet ;)

Ab crunches are fine for your abs, but losing the extra flab most everyone has on their stomach that covers your abs still requires paying attention to your diet. Your arms/chest/back/shoulders/legs/etc will develop naturally with those other exercises.

If you're interested I have sheets with pictures, descriptions, and tips for using proper form on all of those dumbbell routines I listed above. They really help if you plan on trying any of them.

yes please you can post them here, or pm me, :) plzz

is it safe for me to do maybe 3-6 sets of working on my core (different abb workouts and pushups) even considering my habbit? I would be doing them when i wake up before i use.

it's hard to say w/o knowing the actual exercises and your level of intensity. Start out doing a couple sets, since your body's gonna need several sessions just to get in a groove anyways. After that, add sets, reps, and intensity as you can handle (you won't be able to add nearly as fast if you're still doing blow, but you will be able to add)

Not true - it'll actually aid losing fat.

And it'll raise the risk of any substantial exercise because of the damage and load on the cardiovascular system. So even if its not necessarily more difficult, exercise will be more dangerous.

Last edited:
The majority of people on the internet can only offer partial advice at best and the majority of it is BS. Do yourself a favor and go on scivationbooks.com/leanmass.htm They're free to download and contain so much great and all encompassing information. I used the Lean Body Mass diet/workout plan and saw great results while I was on it. READ READ READ

The majority of people on the internet can only offer partial advice at best and the majority of it is BS. Do yourself a favor and go on scivationbooks.com/leanmass.htm They're free to download and contain so much great and all encompassing information. I used the Lean Body Mass diet/workout plan and saw great results while I was on it. READ READ READ
lolwut

"How can I stay lean, lose fat, and build muscle?"

Take it slow. I advise focusing on one thing at a time.

Diet or exercise? Focus on one. Whatever it is, don't skimp. If you're going to focus on diet, do something like, okay, I'm going to eat healthy X amount of time and allow myself to indulge X amount of time. A good rule of thumb is 66/33; in other words, two of your meals are healthy, one of your meals is whatever you'd like. It must remain a portion size, though, so not an entire pizza from Pizza Hut but one slice.

You may think it sounds easy, but in my experience people want to go 90/10 for a week or two. Then they binge due to cravings and fall off the wagon.

If it's exercise, again, be consistent. Set ground rules. 'I'm going to work out five days a week for 30 minutes.' Or 45 minutes. Or 15 minutes.

Do it right; this is a lifestyle change.

Stretching is more important than anything; there's nothing wrong with starting with just stretching and light cardio for a couple of weeks. Dynamic stretching before, static stretching after.

Personally I suggest something like:

Month 1: Light cardio. Learn dynamic and static stretching routines. Find out which ones you like. Should be about 30 minutes total. Take your time. For me stretching isn't something I enjoy; it's something I learn to enjoy. You will become in tune with your body. It is very exciting! Focus on your breathe. When you're doing static stretching, as you exhale, extend the stretch a tad bit. Breathe in, exhale, extend very slightly. I guarantee you will see improved range of motion very quickly.

I like to focus on stretching my back, legs, hands and feet the most. You'll find your own preferences.

Month 2: Up the cardio. Depends on your fitness level, of course, but let's say you're an average American. For the first month you walked 20 minutes a day, 5 times a day. For month two start light jogging 2-3 times a week.

You will begin to feel quite limber and energetic, assuming you've been consistent.

Month 3: Regular jogging and stretching. A mile a day five times a week will be a breeze.

Jogging may not be for you; maybe you prefer riding a bike. Jump rope. Basketball. Don't be afraid to experiment, but at the same time, recognize that this will probably be something you have to learn to enjoy.

It takes 22 to 30 days to make a habit. By this time your habit is certainly ingrained. You have experienced strong positive feedback every step of the way. The quality of your sleep has improved. You've made slow and steady improvements and it's now obvious, both to yourself and to everyone you run into. Now you can slowly add improvements in to your diet.

I think the hardest things to change are the things you've been doing the longest. What do we spend the most time doing? Sleeping, eating, talking, thinking, and moving. These are all extremely difficult habits to change; our brain is wired to find comfort in whatever we've been doing for a long time. Your brain does not discern between "right" and "wrong"; to it, anything you've been doing for a long time is right. Therefore you will face resistance. The quicker you try to create change the more resistance you will face, and the more negative feedback you will incur upon failure.

Kam Moye that's all wonderful. EXCEPT Jogging is bad for you...Power walking or running is what you want/.