Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Modafinil Discussion

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Just noticed there wasn't really an established thread for discussion of this drug and people who are using it in Australia. Would be interested to hear some user experiences.

Modafinil is a eugeroic drug generally prescribed to treat narcolepsy, made by the pharmaceutical company Cephalon Inc. It is not a typical stimulant and is often described as a "wakefulness promoting agent." The drug is sometimes prescribed off-label for ADD/ADHD. In mass-media advertisements and websites, Cephalon markets the drug for improving 'alertness' and reducing 'excessive daytime sleepiness.'

Wikipedia: Modafinil

In Australia the drug is sold under the name Modavigil and is prescription only.

Older threads:
Modafinil, new alert/smart drug, how long will it be legal?
NEWS: The Age - 9/05/2006 'Anti-sleep drug use on the rise'
Legality of importing prescription / other drugs into Australia? (eg Modafinil)

As always; no availability, no prices and definitely no sources. :)

Last edited:
Splatt said:
i heard thats like weak coffee? whats it like?

modafinil?

definitely more than weak coffee. it has a completely different stimulation to it. modafinil seems to make me feel sharper, and it also feels like its method of action is 'cleaner'... i dont know how else to describe it..

for me, its like amphetamine without the pushiness, self centeredness, or manic behaviour.. I usually take it only when i want to get something done because it makes me feel like i should be doing something constructive.

there's a slight euphoria for the first hour or so, but for me, modafinil is all about work work work. and considering im a programmer, that is a good thing sometimes.

I'm actually surprised that it works on me, after my meth binge in 2000-2001 i need a good dose of most stims, and the "alternatives" usually did jack shit. perhaps the selegline that came with it (which made me feel like a human again, i am actually smiling when i walk down the street now!) fixed something/potentates modafinil.

marklar: I assume you're using it for work/study? What type of doses are you taking?

Can it be injected if one were to come across the pure powder?

hoptis said:
marklar: I assume you're using it for work/study? What type of doses are you taking?

yeah for working... i take a 200 mg tablet every now and then.. no more than twice a week... simply because i dont want to end up relying on it, plus it costs a fortune.

Splatt said:
Can it be injected if one were to come across the pure powder?

I'm not quite sure what the point would be, most user experiences do not report any sort of significant euphoria like other stimulants, most user experiences I've read haven't reported any significant increase in effects above a 200 mg dose and many of those who have tried to take up to 400 mg and above have reported nasty headaches.

I'm happy to be proved wrong on this but I don't think there is much, if any, recreational value in it. Even if there was, I find it much more effective using it almost exactly as marklar has described.

True. Some weak stimulant substances do produce a rush when injected though and I thought this was one of those stimulants that takes ages to come on.

well i order pure powder and it seems to upset my stomach unlike the tablet form.
dodgey supplier from India. but hey its where the cheapest generic online drugs come from.
splatt always with injecting stuff
its an androgenic or enogenic something i don't think u will get a rush like euphoric
i'lll try and snort some some time for ya and let u know

Best study aid ever... except when used more than two days in a row. I seem to get reeeal nasty headaches, and even feel slightly scattered when it's my third day in a row of taking 200mg of Modafinil in the morning. Modafinil also seems to potentiate the gitteryness of coffee for me.. A lot.

Marklar is right, Modafinil does give you a feeling that you NEED to be doing something constructive but without giving you the high of any amphetamine.

I love the stuff for massive work days, or for forcing myself awake after big weekends for that first tired Monday of the week. I only wish they didn't give me such annoying headaches.. :\

Its a good medicine to take to get work done. Doses over 200 mg. produce a headace for me. Ritalin is my favorite stimulant, this is #2.

I do NOT like apmphetamine. Amphetamine makes me to impatient and angry towards a world that moves at 1/4 to 1/3 the speed I want it to move. Ritalin produces less of the impatience.

I would probably like Modafinal better, but I am not able to "re-dose" like I can with Ritalin.

When I was selling commercial real estate, we took Modafinal before night meetings.

Willie

this would be perfect for exams, are headaches a common side effect?

[EDIT:No source requests. Lil angel15]

Last edited by a moderator:
I used this for 2 years legally. I used to sleep through the day and was given this instead of dex-amph to keep me awake.

It works well for everyone that I gave it to.

I took it in 100mg tabs.

The cost was the thing that stopped me using it. At AU$xxx for 30 tabs, I could not keep it up forever.

Would highly recommend for anyone wanting to stay awake, without the jittery effects of caffeine, and without the sleep problems that amphetamines produce.

It does make you more confident, and more able to concentrate for longer periods of time.

9/10 from me.:)

Note: I hope this does not break any forum rules as it is a pharmacy price stated.

[EDIT: No prices. Lil Angel15]

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this stuff make people nervous/anxious/shaky? Just curious :)

willow11 said:
Does this stuff make people nervous/anxious/shaky? Just curious :)

Not when you take it as prescribed. 100mg twice a day.

I noticed that it made me very nervous when I mixed it with caffeine. Also made me urinate a lot when it was mixed with caffeine. Kind of weird.

It is not the sort of thing you really feel like mixing with other drugs though. You are very happy to be feeling awake and well when you are on this chem, in fact it even reduced the desire to drink alcohol for me, and I have read similar stories about people who smoke weed.

Very nice feeling to be in control.

^Cheers. I'm currently looking for a mild stimualnt to use throughout the day to counteract benzo and weed and SSRI fog, so this drug looks interesting. Without wanting to sound obtuse, but for what conditions is it prescribed, besides narcolepsy?

My doctor prescribed it for over sleepiness during the day. I did however have to suggest it. It really helped. It is far smoother than any amphetamine. And best of all, you feel no need to use it all the time. I just used it when I need it. No withdrawal symptom noted.

It is also prescribed for shift workers and narcolepsy...

I saw this thread and although I am in the US, I thought I could give a little information on it. :)

I have been rx'ed Modafinil (aka Provigil in the US) since it was released in the US. I have narcolepsy with cataplexy and am supposed to take 400mg per day. I am not on it currently, as the cost is absolutely outrageous (!!) for a 30 day supply of 60, 200mg pills. :( I have no health insurance/rx program and am in the process of trying to get on with the Cephalon Provigil Assistance Program.

I was originally rx'ed Ritalin, Adderall, and everything else that is an amp based product and they all made me insane. Quite literally. I am very sensitive to amp/speed/meth, ect and Provigil was the answer to my prayers. I started taking it soon after it was first available. As other people in this thread have stated, it keeps you awake, without all those nasty, speedy effects. There is no "high" or any type of "euphoria" feelings that you may get with Adderall, ect. You are focused and ready to do anything without feeling all "cracked out".

Hoptis is correct, dosages above 200mg will leave you with a nasty rebound headache - until your body adjusts to it. You also have to progressively up your dosage when you begin taking it. I always start with 100mg 2x per day and very gradually work my way up to my dr prescribed 400mg. Dosages over 400mgs are pointless (according to my doctor, who helped Cephalon study the drug).

It will not make you shaky or nervous unless you drink large amounts of caffeine along with it. (coffee is the worst) My doctor advised I cut all caffeine out of my diet to avoid this. Luckily I'm not a caffeine addict & this was never an issue.

I have also noticed it does work in similar ways to your traditional amps - you may loose weight with long term use. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless you are a petite & skinny as a rail like me.

You won't have any physical withdrawals from long term use. I did however have mental withdrawals, because I need this medication to be able to function like a normal human being.

The only accepted conditions it is prescribed for the in US (last time I asked) were: narcolepsy, EDS (excessive daytime sleepiness), Idiopathic Hypersomnia (same as EDS), ADD/ADHD and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The US military uses it for Air Force Pilots on long missions.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask & I'll try to help you any way I can. :)

I believe they are just testing/releasing a extended release version of this chem as well...

Anybody had experience with the Extended Release/ Longer acting Version?

Last edited:
Has anyone tried Adrafinil? It is metabolized into Modafinil, so it takes longer to come on - but it has the advantage of being a lot cheaper than Modafinil.

Given that Adrafinil is not sold in Australia I was hoping it wouldn't be scheduled, but sadly it is on schedule 4 :(

rogan said:
Has anyone tried Adrafinil? It is metabolized into Modafinil, so it takes longer to come on - but it has the advantage of being a lot cheaper than Modafinil.

Given that Adrafinil is not sold in Australia I was hoping it wouldn't be scheduled, but sadly it is on schedule 4 :(

I did not notice an effect from adrafinil. I think i took 400mg at a time. I was rather disappointed with it.