Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Japanese Anime & Manga

haste

Bluelight Crew
Japanese Anime

Just wondering if there are any Anime fans here?
I'm kinda obsessed with them, and the more I watch the more I want hehe.
Favourites include:
- Lain - by far the most thought provoking and twisted anime you'll ever see. Best described as a mix between the sixth sence, the matrix and ghost in the shell. Anime unlike you've ever seen before. Four part series :)
- Akira - the measuring stick of Anime
- Ghost in the Shell - twisted and thought provoking (TV series now in the making)
- Rurouni Kenshin - including the TV series and Trust and Betrayal
- M.S Nadesico
- Boogiepop Phantom
- Cowboy Bepop
- Neon Genesis Evangelion - dark and depressing
Just to name a few. I also love reading Japanese manga :)
[ 12 August 2002: Message edited by: haste ]

Definitely a Anime + Manga fan.
Notable titles : Akira (!), Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, Samurai X, Neon Gen, Battle Angel Alita, etc etc etc.
I'm off to look for Lain

Orutsokidoji!!!!!! Legend of the over-feind. hahahha that is the funnies cartoon ive ever seen, explicit sex and violence, what more could you want? :)

Check your nearest EB store - they're having a sale on Anime, all 4 volumes of Lain are on sale for $20 each!
Orutsokidoji - a perfect example of what gives anime a bad name.

I remember when I was 14,I tried to rent out Akira and after some sweet talkin to the video lady,I scored it! That film is a classic and I could never bore of that.
Anyone seen the Guyver series? I have the whole set...dont know how I got them but there ok if your havin a bored one at home :)
Anyone else think that the Ninja Scroll sequals SUCKED??

MANGA and ANIME IS HELLA GOOD.
Im even learning japanese to be able to watch/read them in there native language, theres so much manga and so little time to watch it all
HENTAI is wrong, i agree it gives anime a very bad name, animated sex is just creepy.
The beauty of anime is that you can relate to characters in some shape or form no matter how warped the backdrop of the story is.
What i also love from manga is how u become every attached to the characters and feel their highs and lows and also learn though their actions and the events they go through

Originally posted by BLACK_ICE:

Im even learning japanese to be able to watch/read them in there native language, theres so much manga and so little time to watch it all

Lucky you - so much is lost in the English translation at times. But even more, alot of the times the English dub can sound second rate - not so much in sound quality, but more in the actors used.

Haste - ow for sure, voice acting is so bad in some of the animes i have seen that i usually turn off the volume and just read the subtittles.
Some of the translations are also really bad, i was watching some dragon ballz with one of my japanese friends and he laughed all the way through it, because in japan there is tunz of swearing through out the anime and many of the more violent fights have been cut out.

Ah yes, DBZ has been chopped to shreads, actually you'll be suprised how much gets chopped out of alot of releases. The R4 releases here in Australia are essentially R1 releases repackaged. The US releases are edited in order to keep American morality intact (I'm trying not to laugh)
Even anime's such as Cardcaptors have been edited!

so i could be getting more out of DBZ episode than i have been?
man that sucks.
well,off to find japanese episodes to rip.oh please imesh...

*hijacking thread*
hastey, long time no speak, how are you?
*handing thread back*

This is a double hijack!
hi haste..good to see you around! :D
Now..back on topic:
My fav anime generally tend to be classics - Akira / Ninja Scrolls et al...though I don't watch nearly enough.
I do own a copy of Battle of the Planets on DVD - early early jap anime...originally titled Gatchaman. Kinda disappointing compared to my childhood memories but still fun viewing.
Now Haste..did you do a search? ;) ;) I remember a Jap anime thread before... hahahaha

just saw the Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust at the filmfest last week. excellent.
have Tenchi Muyo on vcd, not watched yet.
also have the 10-movie vcd set of the works of Studio Ghibli - includes My neighbour Totoro. love it. sweet heartwarming stuff. :)
the usual faves - Ghost in the Shell, Akira (love the giant soft toys scene, never thought milk could be so scary). i didnt think much of Wicked City. Ninja Scroll was ok, but its been awhile since i watched it, i cant remember much of it.
the series Ranma1/2 was screened regularly in Singapore. wikked series.
if u love anime, there are 2 movies i can recommend. these are films i caught during the filmfest. they're not anime, but stylistically very similar. The Princess Blade (japanese), and Volcano High (korean). fucken excellent - especially Volcano High.

*hi-jacks thread again*
Hey E*van, yes it has been awhile - I've been good but we still need to have that drink with that primate - whats his name?? Mucke??
Nezo - you have no proof I didn't, I might have chose to ignore that other thread ;)
Ghost - not only could we have been eating in the past, but eating and watching ANIME!! :) Are those two movies still showing?

i've been dumped over anime. that's how deep my love for it is imbedded in me. come one how can you say no to GIANT FUKN ROBOTS?
:D
gundam, vision of escaflowne, evangelion, gasaraki, macross plus...
need i say more?

oo oo..don't forget to see Princess Monoke...it's a gem!!!
And the Castle of Count Cagliostro is great as well...
does astroboy count as anime? DBZ certainly doesn't!! I don't like that series.
Macross plus / Robotech is the bomb!
Have you guys been to the bar "Robot" in the city? apparently they have regular anime screenings there...
[ 12 August 2002: Message edited by: nezo ]

unfortunately, hastey, the filmfest ended yesterday.
check out shops and rental stores?
food, anime, and beer - its all good!
:D

ok well since people dont seem to agree wiht my earlier post lol Ill broaden my stance a little :)
I love anime of all types, personaly i like the rediculous sex and violence ones, urotsokidoji,1 2 3 (im still hunting down 4) and Wicked city etc coz theyre just so fucking rediculous and unbeleivable that you jsut cant help but laugh at how fucked up the people who made them must be.
But i also love Ninja Scroll (i agree the sequels sucked), fist of the north star was a bit cool, castle of cagliostro, just liek it claims, has the greatest car chase ever!!! lol The guyver series was cool but tended to get a bit repetative, and I though Neon-Genesis just dragged (but that penguin in the fridge was pretty cool lol :) ).
I didnt particularly like akira as anything special and ive had many an argument about it with my freinds coz they all thought it was great.
But by far my favorite was the old Technoman seeries that used to be on Cheese TV before school, i loved that series!!!!! and TWICE i watched every episode and then missed the last one!!!! so i still havent seen it
icon8.gif
so please please please if anyone happens to have it on tape (not likely i know) then email me so we can organise some way for me to see it!!! :) <-hopeful smile
other than those ive foudn most anime's really dont stand out much, just like all other movies and tv shows i guess.

Technoman! i'd forgoten about that show.. i used to watch it before school too, but i always had to miss the end of each episode, which really pissed me off.
Evangelion is my all time favorate series, i can't wait till i see the movies...

*waits for Ruski* ;)
oh and Nezo, Robot is really kewl. i wish i could go there more...