Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Move to Ban Meth Pipes in Victoria - Herald Sun - 12/01/03

Cowboy Mac

Bluelighter

Rich kids turn to new drug
Patrick O'Neil
January 12, 2004

AUTHORITIES are moving to ban pipes used to smoke a drug corrupting affluent teenagers across Victoria.

The spread of ice, a powerful amphetamine that is smoked, and which can turn users into violent psychopaths, has sparked moves to ban the sale of the pipes.

A Herald Sun investigation found more than 10,000 of the purpose-built "crack" pipes, costing up to $50 each, are legally sold in Victoria every month.

Major shopping centres have the pipes on display in full view of window shoppers and children.

A crack pipe supplier told the at the peak of the ice craze he was selling 10,000 pipes a month through shops across the state.

"We can produce them for 50 cents and they are moving way faster than bongs," the supplier said.

The Herald Sun found individual smoking paraphernalia shops were selling up to 50 pipes a week.

Consumer Affairs Minister John Lenders confirmed the State Government was investigating ways to remove the pipes from sale.

"Consumer Affairs, police and the Department of Human Services are looking at possible ways to ban ice pipes," Mr Lenders said.

Mr Lenders said CAV had responded to police concerns about the availability of the pipes.

Selling for $40 a hit, ice can lead to paranoid delusions, psychotic episodes and violence.

Users often stay awake for days. More than 500,000 Australians have used ice, a Turning Point drug clinic doctor said.

Raymond Hader drug clinic director Richard Smith said smoking ice was causing some rich kids to turn violent.

"When things fall apart they are protected (financially) but they still end up becoming psychotic and coming to me," he said.

"It is the rich kids, the Toorak kids. It is becoming very big in the clubbing scene. There has been an increase in violence and violent crime because they are getting into ice."

Mr Smith said in 18 years counselling drug addicts he had never been attacked until ice hit Melbourne.

"In the last two years I have had four extremely violent incidents where I have had my life threatened. It is all due to people on ice," he said.

Drug experts claim more than one in five people in their 20s have smoked the drug.

National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre spokesman Paul Dillon said ice use was experiencing a rapid rise.

"We hadn't really seen it before a couple of years ago," Mr Dillon said.

"Now it is the second most popular drug behind cannabis," he said.

Ice is a powerful form of the amphetamine speed converted into crystal for smoking. Speed usually has a purity from 5-15 per cent but ice is more than 75 per cent pure.

Law enforcement, health and forensic communities as well as drug counsellors told the Herald Sun they were feeling the impact of the surge in ice users.

Department of Human Services figures show the number of people seeking treatment for amphetamine addiction has more than doubled in three years.

An Australian Federal Police report found the largest amounts of ice seized on Australia's borders came in the first half of last year.

Customs seized more than 233kg of ice in the 2002-03 financial year.

South-East Asia was the source of 98.5 per cent of seizures and the average weight of a seizure was increasing.

I find this rather pointless because it will only force users to move to potentially more dangerous implements to smoke with such as broken light globes. I can understand why they feel they need a zero tolerance approach to the issue, however it will do little to curb use. Bongs are still being sold, and a home made crack pipe is no more difficult to make than a home made bong. The government should put its time into some better strategies.

Perth has seen a virtual disappearance of "ice". Why? Because much to the mistake of some, the police are right onto it. There is an abundance of pills and pot because they do not cause great social problems. "Ice" on the other hand is the culprit in A LOT of social problems, aboriginal crime included fairly high up (what? I can hear people saying... YES, its true, not a rumour and you don't have to believe me). So if you are considering dealing "ice" in Perth, think twice unless you wanna become buddies with RH. The police monitoring this board and maybe a few others will know what I am talking about.

10,000 pipes a month?!? 8o

Holy shit! I know they break easily but dang! I'm off to learn how to blow glass =D

I wonder whether they are going to ban aluminium foil and light-bulbs as well...

runner2- who or what is RH?

This is completly anti-harm reduction in my opinion.

If someone wants to smoke ice they will do it, even if it means smoking off foil (god help anyone who does that for to long...). I think this is a knee jerk reaction to a problem that seems to be out of control (to some).

Articles like this never stop to consider the consequences the new legislation may have. For example: A lack of ice pipes leads 1000's of users to turn to injection to gain a similar rush from thier drug of choice......... oh hang on they are still violent, what should we do now...?

Its also just flavor of the month/year and hence getting more pollitical attention than the many other "drug problems" australia has.

a poor excuse for a journalist said:
Rich kids turn to new drug
Don't you just love the way that they state blatant untruths just to cause a scare? Of course coming from the Herald Sun it's not too surprising. I wonder what it feels like to sell your soul to a demon like Murdoch, I'd sooner let my genitals become aquainted with a blender.
But then I guess it wouldn't be as gripping if they'd mentioned the fact that meth has seen widespread use worldwide for over half a century.
I long to see the day when the headline reads "Rich kids turn to old drug that was once widely available at local pharmacies"

As far as banning meth pipes goes it won't cause much of a fuss with me. Smoking meth is about as stimulating as throwing it down the sink, just a little more fun.
Light bulbs are far superior to standard meth pipes anyway.

Last edited:
I dig your comment SteveElektro, lightbulbs are far more effective and efficient than any meth pipe I have seen yet. So long as they are cleened out properly before being used!!!

Raymond Hader drug clinic director Richard Smith said smoking ice was causing some rich kids to turn violent.

"When things fall apart they are protected (financially) but they still end up becoming psychotic and coming to me," he said.

"It is the rich kids, the Toorak kids. It is becoming very big in the clubbing scene. There has been an increase in violence and violent crime because they are getting into ice."
So looks like all of you middle and lower class meth smokers should be AOK! Woohoo!8o

I was curious as to just what the Raymon Hader Clinic is - found this.

Back on topic, I find it hard to believe that figure of 10,000 pipes sold per month. Maybe someone added some zero's by mistake?

Originally posted by Cowboy Mac
"Now it is the second most popular drug behind cannabis," he said.
Drug experts claim more than one in five people in their 20s have smoked the drug.

You mean it is the second most popular illegal drug behind cannabis?

But really! Is it really that wide spread?

I think maybe they were doing a study on how many Bluelighters had smoked the drug. :\
I know a fair few people in their 20's and i estimate 1 in 20 have tried it. Most of them was due to my influence.

8(

It is frighteningly popular but I think 1 in 5 is a bit of an exaggeration. I wouldn't be surprised at the 10,000 pipes a month figure in its peak however. Seeing the books of a small paraphernalia shop over one weekend the amount of pipes sold is staggering, the business could probably survive on that alone. Clumsy, shaky hand meth heads =D

I disagree with light bulbs being the better option however. There are many dangers in breaking a bulb and from not cleaning properly; I think they aren't as effective either.

They should ban pipes and then everyone will stop using 8) ..... Or maybe go and use much safer things like tin foil....:\

interestingly

At the pub last night, I was speaking with pat, the journo that wrote this article. I could probbably get him back for comment. (I havn't told him about this place yet). He's a decent sort - and a much better pool player than me.

bwahahaha.... light bulbs are more efficient than pipes.....

Someone needs a lesson in smoking meth...

light bulbs ARE way better. You actually get the nice 'hit' feeling. It's like a bong vs. a joint with weed.
You can also load up a HUGE rock and take it no probs unlike a pipe that wastes itself when you stop inhaling.

give me a bulb and a straw anyday!

hrmm, i saw this mentioned on chan 10 news the other day. they then swapped to a drug rehab (?) centre or something located in melb for an interview with a woman. she seemed to know absolutely nothing about it.. and left out what some might consider, important facts, like it's ADDICTIVE. everything else she seemed so vague and unknowing about.

way to get a good interview chan 10!

Runner2 said:
bwahahaha.... light bulbs are more efficient than pipes.....

Someone needs a lesson in smoking meth...
Maybe someone needs to learn how to smoke out of a lightbulb :p

And agnte, tell the guy who wrote this article that it's shitty sensationalist garbage and to find out what he's talking about the next time he decides to try and scare the shit out of a bunch of naive parents.

Meth pipes are more convenient to take out somewhere, but I would prefer to use a lightbulb if I was going to smoke it at home.

I wrote the article and am yet to read one arguement or criticism that has any validity.
People are quick to lay into the Herald Sun but how am I supposed to take your opinion seriously if you don't actually put an argument forward, just abuse.
All week I have been getting calls from families who have brothers, sons and daughters hooked on ice. I had a guy call who checked himself into a mental institution the day before because ice gave him psychosis.

Mental wards are full of people from 18-27 who have become paranoid, violent and unhinged because of ice. Speak to any psych nurse if you don't believe me.

This drug is no good and if banning ice pipes will stop people using it for the first time then I am all for it.

If you want to go to the trouble of constructing your own ice pipe then good luck to you, but you are completely naive if you don't recognise this drug ruins people's lives.

Please reply if you have something intelligent to add.

And btw, I don't write the headline and I think you will find the word "new" is not in the article.

How exactly does banning pipes stop people doing it? They will just use fopil and get parkinsin's disease

And your vast generalisation that you use it and go crazy is a load of sensationalist crap. You're just feeding uneducated fear into the masses.

I think his point is more that if meth pipes weren't available so obviously in shops then the number of people trying a pipe for the first time just out of curiosity would be less??

I don't agree witht that for a second.
curious people will always be curious and find a way if need be. If i buy a meth pipe out of curiosity..i still got to find the meth