• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Move to Ban Meth Pipes in Victoria - Herald Sun - 12/01/03

I think we scared him off. He hasnt posted for a while has he?

In my opinion the argument raging between the bluelight community and "the jurno" is un-solovable and we could argue forever about it.

However blatant un-truths in mass media are not cool and that is something both we and "the jurno" shoud agree on....

Has anyone mentioned that the countries that have the most social problems with meth, those being our asian neighbors, have the meth pipes already banned?

The people that introduced me to the smoking of meth never seen a pipe till a couple of years ago in Australia.

Half the fun in smoking meth was making the smoking implement. Even with pipes freely available most asians I've smoked with would rather make their smokin' contraption.

I wonder how many people actually smoked meth/ice the first time they used it?
personally i dont know anyone.

If you think banning glass pipes is going to stop ANYTHING, you are severly jaded with what goes on in the _real_ world.

I smoked it the first time I used (out of a lightbulb, mind you). I didn't realise there were other methods of administration at the time (so innocent and sweet... yah right ;))

IMO insufflation, particularly of the crystalline form, is more harmful than smoking on a purely physical level (disregarding potential for addiction). I know a number of people who have severe nasal damage from snorting meth.

The spread of ice, a powerful amphetamine that is smoked, and which can turn users into violent psychopaths, has sparked moves to ban the sale of the pipes.
For me this was the worst part of the article and the quote that made me lose all respect for it.

A respectable journalist should always aim for the highest common denominator rather than the lowest. He or she should NOT use words that have sophisticated meanings, simply for a sensationalist effect. (especially when that meaning is understood by most people to describe something rather specific).

The Cambridge Dictionary includes an informal definition of pyschopath which they describe as simply "Pyscho" - clearly this is a colloquial shortening of the word which if describing those exhibiting drug induced psychosis would have been a more appropriate term to use rather than the full and correct term "psychopath". (Only if he had been talking very coloquially and at a primitive level however!)

The definition of "Psycho" or a very informal use of the term psychopath reads:
"someone who is very mentally ill and dangerous"

The correct and proper definition of psychopath, and the ONLY instance and context in which a reputable journalist should EVER use this word is the following:

"in psychology, a person who has no feeling for other people, does not think about the future and does not feel bad about anything they have done in the past"

The Oxford Dictionary raises the bar of sophistication even further.

Defined as someone affected by psychopathy; a mentally deranged person.

Psychopathy is defined:
Mental disease or disorder; ‘mental disorder considered apart from cerebral disease’ (Billings). In modern use, personality disorder that lacks a physiological basis, characterized by markedly impulsive, egocentric, irresponsible, and antisocial behaviour, and an inability to form normal relationships with others, sometimes accompanied by aggressiveness or charm and manifested at all levels of intelligence

IMO a person who is suffering temporary methamphetamine psychosis barely fits that low-level, simpleton definition of "psycho". But that point is moot because an article in a "reputable" newspaper, especially one that purports to discuss psychiatric problems caused by illicit drugs, should use the correct scientific terminology.

To label a drug user exhibiting temporary psychotic behaviour a psychopath is a disgrace. It is wrong and its placement in the article is for no other reason than to stir up emotions and influence people to form incorrect assumptions about such drug users.
Dahmer, Gacy and Milat are psychopaths - a methamphetamine user, even one with a serious mental disorder triggered by the use of the drug, is not. The general public understands what the term psychopath is generally reserved for, even if their knowledge is solely derived from The Silence of the Lambs. To tap into their emotions and perhaps their limited understanding of the drug and its users in this way, is grossly irresponsible.

I am disgusted that such a description, especially one that possibly creates more imagery and more connotations than any other, was utilised in this case and then allowed to go to print.

The following are from studies as far back as 1967. The world has only improved its understanding of what this word means and thus I have no doubt its use should be reserved to the types of cases indicated below and as described in the more advanced definitions:

1967 Listener 20 Apr. 529/3 The term psychopath is bandied about in such a way as to make it cover almost any mental disorder... However the psychopath has now achieved legal status in the Mental Health Act of 1959 as having ‘a persistent disorder or disability of mind..which results in abnormally aggressive or seriously irresponsible behaviour’. 1967 M. ARGYLE Psychol. of Interpersonal Behaviour i. 21 It is one of the marks of the psychopath that he will engage in social behaviour in so far as it is..profitable to do so, but he has no intrinsic attraction to other people at all. For the psychopath there is no particular difference between people and things.

They certainly do not apply to the average methamphetamine user, even one who is in a Psych ward. If you would like to use the word "psychopath" in your next article, set up an interview with the many serial killers and sociopathic rapists currently languishing in our many prisons. The Snowtown murderers as the most recent additions, and perhaps two of the most despicable and yes, pyschopathic, may be a good start.

Last edited:
I guess I have a few thoughts on this:

1. Everyone is getting fired up because this journo has used emotive language to rouse certain feelings in the readership of the Herald Sun. This is what journalists do, its their job, to write emotively and with some direction whether it be political, personal or otherwise. If one is looking for unbiased information about such topics then research journal articles in reputable medical journals. However, this does not mean i think its is a good thing that journalism is so tainted by political and personal views on various issues.

2. This guy writes for the Herald Sun! Does anyone really expect to get a fair, even unbiased report from this paper? Its virtually a pictorial, i think if you look on front page it still says 'pictorial' somewhere. Even the sports pages in the Herald are slanted towards whatever popular public belief is. At the end of the day this is what sells papers and thats why the Herald is the top seller. Even The Age is biases in many ways, I'm yet to read a pro Liberal article in The Age, the same as I read very few pro labour articles in the Herald.

3. The Journo is clearly quite close minded so I'd suggest trying to convince him of any open minded thought in relation to drugs is quite innane and pointless. No matter how sensicle any point that any of us raise in relation to meth smoking/pipes/popularity/effects/reasons for starting, Journo is not going to all of a sudden think "oh shit these guys have a point". Some people are just not capable of thinking outside the square they live in (sorry to use such a cliche) which is quite sad for a journalist.

4. (finally) I see no problem with pipes being legal and doubt greatly making them illegal would stem the use of meth. I dont at all find smoking meth a sexy thing to see, i think there is a lot more appeal to railing drugs, it is also what is predominanly seen in movies. I too find it hard to believe that pipes are being passed around at parties like a bong. Like everyone else has said, its way to expensive to share like weed. This may occur amongst a small group of close friends who are willing to shout someone every now and then but thats quite different to passing it round a party. As many have already said education is the key, not prohibition. Not everyone is as stupid as the media and politicians would have you believe. I wanted to learn more about drugs so I did some of my own research and picked drug related units at university. Not everone will see pipe, cigarette, bong, whatever and want to use it. Through education many people find the thought of sucking on a cigarette disgusting. How was this achieved? Through education.

Sorry bout length of post.

Beech out

BANNED!

Drug pipes ban a step ahead
Jeremy Kelly and Patrick O'Neil
22 Jan 2004

PIPES used to smoke the potentially deadly drug ice have been banned.

The State Government has responded to the surge in popularity of the drug to outlaw the small glass devices.

Police had expressed concern about the increased prevalence of the drug and the fact pipes can be bought over the counter at stores, including some supermarkets.

Acting Commander Paul Ditchburn welcomed the ban, saying anything freely available could be seen as having tacit support.

The pipes retail for between $10 and $50 and Mr Ditchburn said they had no other use apart from to smoke ice, also known as crystal meth, crank and shabu.

"Whilst things like bongs can either be used to smoke (non-illicit) substances or can be made in the back yard, with (ice pipes) you would need a glass blower to produce them."

Mr Ditchburn said banning the pipes put a barrier between people and the drug and outlawing them sent a message to the community.

Retailers who continue to stock the pipes risk fines of up to $60,000.

Consumer Affairs Minister John Lenders, who has worked with police and the Department of Human Services to arrange the ban, said Consumer Affairs safety inspectors would check in coming weeks to ensure they had been removed from shelves.

Mr Lenders acknowledged the ban would not stop the consumption of the drug, but said the Government would do everything it could to reduce its prominence.

National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre spokesman Paul Dillon said the ban would only work if the Government also educated people about the dangers of ice.

Article here

Yellowpages.com.au link to Glass Blowers in Victoria =D

sheesh. I thought we were a harm reduction country. Not a harm the populous country.
Oh well. I guess everyone is just gonna stop smoking it now....I've never even used a meth pipe and i smoked the shit for 6 months straight.

Oh, this is so retarded. Well, thanks heaps Patrick, next time I see a twit who's cut his hand open trying to make a lightbulb pipe, I'll get him to give the Herald Sun a bell, shall I?

*outraged emoticon*

And erba, the first time I tried meth was in Japan, where smoking it's most common. And it was from a lighbulb. I didn't try this method again for several years after, though. (P.S. don't smoke meth before an international flight! seriously :()

So, can we get any clarification on whether it's illegal to OWN a pipe if it's clean and has no traces of chemicals on it?

^^^^ You won't find any useful information from the Sun...

Why don't we just ban free needle exchange as well? Those dirty ass H junkies have to be worse right? Oh shit, don't wanna give The Journo more ideas!!!
*HEAVY SARCASM*

Did anyone else notice the picture of the blue lighter next to the EXTREMELY POOR QUALITY pipe in the pic? Could this perhaps be a subtle dig by the "youth reporter" Pat at Bluelight?

I find it amusing that despite the ban, the highest quality meth pipes are still freely available. You get them from glassblowers at outdoor dance music festivals, or when you commission them to make one for you. Lets see them try and ban sand!!!

Eat shit Consumer Affairs.

Last edited:
^ If that was a dig at us, it was VERY subtle. It's about 90% likely that was a stock photo. Oh, and navy's a pretty common Bic colour :)

I think Meth pipes are sexy :)

I remember one time I was smoking some meth with my pothead mates, they made me put it bag in :( Damn, seeing me smoking meth turned them off it even more.

I still think they're sexy though :D

Good riddance, lightbulbs kick arse anyway ;)

But seriously, this is fucked on principle.
And the reporter should be bound, gagged and dumped in a lake.
Fuck the Herald Scum, fuck consumer affairs, fuck the police, and fuck anyone else who peddles bullshit.