Your Favorite Quotes..............

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't fight for a place in someone's life because no matter how hard you fight to try to keep your place, they'll put you where they want to, even if it's not where it should be.
~unknown

Be more tolerant than the trees, humbler than the grass, and always chant the name of the Divine.

Caitanya Mahaprabhu

"Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on."

Led Zeppelin

Stairway to Heaven

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I

wrote down “happy”. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told

them they didn’t understand life.

– John Lennon

:)

A Solstice Prayer

Sweet gorgeous moment, we pray with you
There is a heartbeat in the faraway night
pulling her dress away from her slippered feet
There it is – the burning star set on the hill
The precious light uncurling from the Mother
The holy secret, the hush, the breath of newness
The night falls away, rolling over in joy
May we keep these songs we learn in the dawning
May we sing them as the crocuses unfold in light
May we cry out at the fullness of the hush and the humming of our bodies
May we be full and never full of You, Holy Holy
The light gilds the bare trees and we are dancing in it
May it always be so.

Nature loves courage. You make the commitment and nature will respond to that commitment by removing impossible obstacles. Dream the impossible dream and the world will not grind you under, it will lift you up. This is the trick. This is what all these teachers and philosophers who really counted, who really touched the alchemical gold, this is what they understood. This is the shamanic dance in the waterfall. This is how magic is done. By hurling yourself into the abyss and discovering its a feather bed.

Terence McKenna (RIP)

^I can honestly say that "hurling" myself "into the abyss" willingly has saved me when I needed saving. The most empowering act we can create as humans is turning, facing and embracing our own fear. thanks for this quote, atm<3

Thanks Herb, I have a great deal of respect for Terance McKenna, at first pass he can come over as a bit of a crack pot due to his colourful language but he had agreat deal of wisdom to share.

Facing the void and embracing it for the fantastic mystery it is has been something I have tried to work back to numerous times, in truth we have no idea what is going to happen next, thinking otherwise is merely a construct that we use to shield ourselves in the misguided thought that we need to be shielded from the beautiful truth.

Enough of my rambling :-

You are a divine being. You matter, you count. You come from realms of unimaginable power and light, and you will return to those realms.

more from Terance <3

distance defines
length of the heart
depth of the mind
finding closeness in miles compounded
when hostility has me surrounded

the end is the means
back to the start
is this really as it seems?
uncomprehensible fate for a man
who doesn't believe there is a greater plan

I tend to be consistently wrong . . .

erasing the lines
borders and definitions
change with the times
is all of this change some silent insinuation
that I know nothing of my own situation?

qualities redeem
unfavorable positions
when you know not what I mean
if we can just break through the confusion
and let understanding offer us a solution

its all we've needed all along . . .

~Negative

Sometimes it feels like you aren’t moving forward. As if the past has caught up to you yet again. That is a lie. Look at who you are now compared to a year ago. Every day has been a step forward. Every day you get out of bed and face the world with courage and sincerity matters.

You’ve got to take a moment to take it all in and understand that time will not speed up even for you. Be patient with yourself. Be gentle with the wounds you carry. True, lasting healing cannot be tricked or rushed. But you must remember that you are healing. Hold on to that truth. Whether you see it or feel it healing is taking place in your mind, body, spirit, and life.

<3 <3 <3

"Anxiety is the gap between the NOW and the THEN. So if you are in the NOW, you can't be anxious, because your excitement flows immediately into ongoing spontaneous activity." - Bruce Lee

And as we sat there listening to the carolers, I wanted to tell Brian it was over now and everything would be okay. But that was a lie, plus, I couldn't speak anyway. I wish there was some way for us to go back and undo the past. But there wasn't. There was nothing we could do. So I just stayed silent and trying to telepathically communicate...how sorry I was about what had happened. And I thought of all the grief and sadness...and fucked up suffering in the world...and it made me want to escape. I wished with all my heart that we could just...leave this world behind. Rise like two angels in the night and magically...disappear.

Seeing a lot of quotes I've never seen before, yay!

Hmmm, this is more like a lengthy paragraph than a quote, but the first time I read this, I shed a tear or two, which is not a common occurrence for me.
Anyway, it's from Ralph Waldo Emerson's essay called "Self-Reliance". This is what has kept with me since the first time I read the essay in its entirety over 4 years ago, and I have a pretty shitty memory haha.

Let a man then know his worth, and keep things under his feet. Let him not peep or steal, or skulk up and down with the air of a charity-boy, a bastard, or an interloper, in the world which exists for him. But the man in the street, finding no worth in himself which corresponds to the force which built a tower or sculptured a marble god, feels poor when he looks on these. To him a palace, a statue, or a costly book have an alien and forbidding air, much like a gay equipage, and seem to say like that, 'Who are you, Sir?' Yet they all are his, suitors for his notice, petitioners to his faculties that they will come out and take possession. The picture waits for my verdict: it is not to command me, but I am to settle its claims to praise. That popular fable of the sot who was picked up dead drunk in the street, carried to the duke's house, washed and dressed and laid in the duke's bed, and, on his waking, treated with all obsequious ceremony like the duke, and assured that he had been insane, owes its popularity to the fact, that it symbolizes so well the state of man, who is in the world a sort of sot, but now and then wakes up, exercises his reason, and finds himself a true prince.

Quote from what I consider my favorite book of all time called The Consolation of Philosophy by the medieval Christian philosopher Boethius. The context under which this book was written is pretty amazing. He was a very esteemed man and sat on the council of Theordore the Ostrogoth. He enjoyed a very, very comfortable life considering the time period, and he had a family he cherished. He was falsely accused of treason and exiled to a tower where he awaited his execution. It was during this time that he wrote this book. Pretty moving. His execution was pretty horrific.

“Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule the mind is their subject.” (emphasis mine)

-Boethius

And finally,

“Love is the only freedom in the world because it so elevates the spirit that the laws of humanity and the phenomena of nature do not alter its course.”

-Khalil Gibran, Broken Wings
When I read this, I don't see this a romantic quote. Talking about selflessly loving yourself (sounds paradoxical, I know) and all other fellow human beings. Hard stuff to practice at times, for sure :!

“I don't like work--no man does--but I like what is in the work--the chance to find yourself. Your own reality--for yourself not for others--what no other man can ever know. They can only see the mere show, and never can tell what it really means.”

― Joseph Conrad

I say unto you, Arise, and take up your bed, and go your way into your house.
Mark 2:11

Then shall the lame man leap like a deer, and the tongue of the mute sing for joy. For waters break forth in the wilderness, and streams in the desert;
Isaiah 35:6

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. It's very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad." - Pink Floyd 'Speak To Me'

Status
Not open for further replies.